Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,217 members, 7,867,554 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 06:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10719) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11968146 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10716) (10717) (10718) (10719) (10720) (10721) (10722) ... (16379) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 2:04pm On May 23, 2021
Blueelf:

Haba......

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Cc. Blueelf

Justice Christopher was very good. The problem with these home grown talents is the poor state of our local league. If we can organize a decent standard league like the Egyptians and South Africans we can rule the world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:05pm On May 23, 2021
Beloved3:

Has what it takes and very close, but not there yet.

Why do you say so?

Is it because of his team or lack of champions league football. Enlighten me please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:07pm On May 23, 2021
Omanambala:

Cc. Blueelf

Justice Christopher was very good. The problem with these home grown talents is the poor state of our local league. If we can organize a decent standard league like the Egyptians and South Africans we can rule the world.

I'm sorry if it seemed I was mocking your opinion.

However, what I remember about that guy was very different.

He was an Honorary Professor of Midfield Carpentry and Mediocre display.

I never heard of him after that World cup. If he was as good as you tout him, I believe he would have at least had a decent European Career

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 2:08pm On May 23, 2021
Omanambala:

This post is poorly thought out and disgraceful. There are many holes in this post...lmao

Home bred talents are responsible for their misfortunes because they are not ambitious? This is just sorry !
No be you again cheesy? It's poorly thought out, have you written anything better? Go and find sense oh.

One would have a very difficult time picking out your sensible comments on this thread.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:11pm On May 23, 2021
Blueelf:

I beg to disagree...

Osimhen is close but he isn't world class yet..

I have nothing against him at all..He is our finest striker

Although it's my opinion . I may be wrong by other people's standards
I didn't say he is o but if he can score 20-25 consistently for about 5 years then he can enter that discussion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:15pm On May 23, 2021
Enyimba's defenders are very poor, can't even string passes together
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:16pm On May 23, 2021
jihday:
I didn't say he is o but if he can score 20-25 consistently for about 5 years then he can enter that discussion

Okay, sorry for the misinterpretation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 2:22pm On May 23, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
No be you again cheesy? It's poorly thought out, have you written anything better? Go and find sense oh.

One would have a very difficult time picking out your sensible comments on this thread.

I am not here to rack up fan boys.

Meanwhile, that your statement that blames home grown players for their misfortunes because they aren't ambiguous enough is just weak , ma nigga. You have absolutely no idea what it takes to be a Nigerian professionalsl player wandering Europe for daily bread. Just keep quiet and let people with the knowledge speak. You don't know their struggles and challenges.

You are just another ignorant Nigerian with access to internet who think he has got something to say.

Instead of pressing for us to develop our league you are here blaming our unfortunate players who are at the mercy of a very corrupt country and association.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 23, 2021
Blueelf:

Why do you say so?

Is it because of his team or lack of champions league football. Enlighten me please

You see Blueelf, in the real sense nothing works by guess work or perceptions. You can't say "Ah! This guy is playing well, he is world class"

Nope.

Everything in the real world works with numbers. That's why you have metrics for FIFA ranking etc. FIFA even rates players by metrics.

You see, the lads here have always had arguement about who is world class and who isn't and I shake my head when I read them because all they write is based on their emotions, and perceptions; "I feel this guy is world class"

Anyways I have tried to bring a standard metric here for measuring who a world class player is. Check my earliest posts on this thread of you can.
And even when I had a debate with Andrew yesterday because he had a different opinion, I tried to help him add metrics to his thoughts and helped him build 'his' standard for a world class player. A standard far less stringent than mine.

So Blueelf, if you say Ndidi is world class, is that your perception or feeling? Do you have a metric (measurable) standard for measuring world class midfielders and Ndidi's stats fits in?

So to answer your questions; No it isn't primarily because he hasn't featured in the champions league. It is because his numbers do not meet up with the metrics of my standard for a world class player yet. A standard built with details of the best amongst the best in the game.

Ndidi is close, very close but not yet world class.

I might post the standards again for a striker and that of a defensive midfielder so you can run through it yourself and see how Ndidi compares with real world class defenders.

Again I say, very close. But not there yet.

P.S. You check Ndidi's premier league numbers here. You can select any metric of choice e.g interception.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/interception

He's not even among the top 4 interceptors in the premier league. Surprising? Yes you would only be surprised if you swear by feelings and do not look up the stats.

Cheers bro. I'll try and post the standards again in my next post.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 23, 2021
@Blueelf
This below is for strikers

Beloved3:

WORLD CLASS METRIC STANDARD - FOR ATTACKERS

For me, a world class player is one that is able to sustain brilliant performance and numbers at the highest career stages i.e World cup, Champions league etc.

So once a player has had big numbers consistently in the local league, cup games (and world cup of applicable), and has had great numbers in the champions League as well for at least three seasons, he is world class!

Typical example for an attacker (bar long term injuries);

Local league games for the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals in each season

and

Champions League appearance for the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals (or close) combined in all three seasons.

And

Cup games (and world cup if applicable) during the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals combined in all three season.

Based in these standard, Jamie Vardy isn't world class!

Mbappe is world class!
Mbappe stats in the past three season;

Ligue1 = Has scored over 20 close or close to that in each of the past 3 season.
Check

Champions League = has scored close to 20 goals combined in the past 3 seasons
Check.

Cup games and world cup = scored close to 20 goals combined
Check.

Result = World class!

The above stat is a reference just for strikers.
Midfielders, defenders goal keepers have their separate reference stats for categorising a player as world class.

I really do not have the time to write up the reference stats for midfielders, defenders etc.

But really, we here need to have our own definition of a world class player as this has been a widely used term without clear definition.

I just threw a first stab at it and mine can be used as a preliminary.

We should make the definition, modify it, agree and sticky it somewhere as a standard. So when next anyone will call a player world class he can first consult on our standard grin

P.S. Ndidi would have to feature consistently in the big games and do what he does best in the world stage before he can be confirmed as world class. For now he isn't.

For Harry Kane

Beloved3:

Bro Harry Kane has had 18 goals combined in the champions league between 2018-2020. Along with 8 goals in Europa this year 2021.
He has had close to 20 goals in the premier League in each of the past 3 seasons.

That's what champions do. Definitely world class!

Bro that standard I introduced is purely practicable. The Harry Kane exercise is a simple one you could have done yourself to come to the conclusion that he is world class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:31pm On May 23, 2021
Beloved3:

You see Blueelf, in the real sense nothing works by guess work or perceptions. You can't say "Ah! This guy is playing well, he is world class"

Nope.

Everything in the real world works with numbers. That's why you have metrics for FIFA ranking etc. FIFA even rates players by metrics.

By the way, below is how FIFA rated the best defensive midfielders this year and Ndidi isn't among. He is rated by FIFA as a central defender.

https://www.fifaratings.com/position/center-defensive-midfielder

That's not an issue.... So back to my discourse;

You see, the lads here have always had arguement about who is world class and who isn't and I shake my head when I read them because all they write is based on their emotions, and perceptions; "I feel this guy is world class"

Anyways I have tried to bring a standard metric here for measuring who a world class player is. Check my earliest posts on this thread of you can.
And even when I had a debate with Andrew yesterday because he had a different opinion, I tried to help him add metrics to his thoughts and helped him build 'his' standard for a world class player. A standard far less stringent than mine.

So Blueelf, if you say Ndidi is world class, is that your perception or feeling? Do you have a metric (measurable) standard for measuring world class midfielders and Ndidi's stats fits in?

So to answer your questions; No it isn't primarily because he hasn't featured in the champions league. It is because his numbers do not meet up with the metrics of my standard for a world class player yet. A standard built with details of the best amongst the best in the game.

I might post the standards again for a striker and that of a defensive midfielder so you can run through it yourself and see how Ndidi compares with real world class defenders.

P.S. You check Ndidi's premier league numbers here. You can select any metric of choice e.g interception.

He's not even among the top 4 interceptors in the premier league. Surprising? Yes you would only be surprised if you swear by feelings and do not look up the stats.

Is.t this link a gaming link?

Because I am seeing players whose stats are way lesser than Ndidi in the top 10

Bro, I can't agree with this link

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:35pm On May 23, 2021
jihday:
y'all always shouting 'play homegrown players' can you see how Enyimba defenders dey do giveaway? Imagine we carry these ones go play Senegal or Algeria for afcon, SMH
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 23, 2021
Blueelf:

Which link are you referring of the three I posted?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 2:36pm On May 23, 2021
Karlovych:
Bro I don't even have the strength to be debating the ridiculous stuff coming out from him, he even went as far as colonialism like it's the fault of Britian that we can't maintain electricity in Nigeria, even the president doesn't use the hospital in Aso Rock. Like it's also Britain's fault that currently a lot of Nigerians can't get an international passport with settling immigration officials. I don't want to go the political route but he should begin to wonder how privilege has affected the development of Zidane's children who are all less talented than their father. It's such mindset that got us the likes Uchebo, Gabriel Reuben, Nwofor and Gambo.

He'll never see things from your perspective, so no need arguing with him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 2:37pm On May 23, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Wetin my club do you cry
Lol no vex. Na your beloved Akwa united come my head as I dey type
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 1realBobby(m): 2:41pm On May 23, 2021
Beloved3:

Nope.

By the way, below is how FIFA rated the best defensive midfielders this year and Ndidi isn't among. He is rated by FIFA as a central defender.

That's not an issue.... So back to my discourse;

The link you posted up there is a gaming link and not real life. Go and check every reputable websites online, you will see Ndidi in the list of top 10 dmf in the world... Just search for top 10 best dmf in the world on google and knock your self out. I bet you won't find one where ndidi is not listed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 2:42pm On May 23, 2021
The Egyptians have scored. Enyimba now have tall lead to overcome
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 2:42pm On May 23, 2021
Iwuala scores

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:43pm On May 23, 2021
Anayo na fine player sha, he needs to leave this league asap

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 2:45pm On May 23, 2021
Omanambala:

Cc. You'll be

Awaziem is better than Aina.

Edit:Sorry, you wrote "hasn't been invited"

You want awaziem (DM converted to a central defender) to be invited ahead of Aina a natural defender but you don't want Ndidi to be in the team because he was converted from a central defender to DM despite him consistent top class performances in the DM position.
Keep it coming inugo!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:50pm On May 23, 2021
Koboko99:

You want awaziem (DM converted to a central defender) to be invited ahead of Aina a natural defender but you don't want Ndidi to be in the team because he was converted from a central defender to DM despite him consistent top class performances in the DM position.
Keep it coming inugo!

Awaziem thats a make shit right back is better than aina ? Lol, thats not even the issue self , rohr use to invite both of them

I dont know the point that guy is trying to make

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:51pm On May 23, 2021
jihday:
Anayo na fine player sha, he needs to leave this league asap

To which league?

Not that he will use desperation and go and end up in Latvia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 2:51pm On May 23, 2021
forgiveness:

of course.

So because a player performs at the world cup, he becomes World class regardless of his club performances??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 23, 2021
1realBobby:

The link you posted up there is a gaming link and not real life. Go and check every reputable websites online, you will see Ndidi in the list of top 10 dmf in the world... Just search for top 10 best dmf in the world on google and knock your self out. I bet you won't find one where ndidi is not listed

Blueelf:

@Blueelf

You see what I mean bro, there seems to be a dearth of simple researching technique here. You guys love it when the footballers you support are technical on the field of play but you don't want to be technical yourself in your football analysis. grin

@1realBobby, Blueelf
No it is not a gaming link. A little detailing would show you that. Anyways here is another link for Whoscored. Check Ndidi's total interception (add them up) on Whoscored and see that that premier league stat is as accurate as it can get.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/327683/MatchStatistics/Wilfred-Ndidi

@Blueelf
So to be specific, name one lad above Ndidi on the list that you don't agree with and let's treat it case by case. Perhaps this would enlighten you more on why he isn't world class yet on the metrics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 2:53pm On May 23, 2021
Omanambala:

I am not here to rack up fan boys.

Meanwhile, that your statement that blames home grown players for their misfortunes because they aren't ambiguous enough is just weak , ma nigga. You have absolutely no idea what it takes to be a Nigerian professionalsl player wandering Europe for daily bread. Just keep quiet and let people with the knowledge speak. You don't know their struggles and challenges.

You are just another ignorant Nigerian with access to internet who think he has got something to say.

Instead of pressing for us to develop our league you are here blaming our unfortunate players who are at the mercy of a very corrupt country and association.

The bolded better describes you BTW.

I'm not saying injustice does not exist. But most Africans have poor work rate, we love to celebrate and celebrate, so far we are regularly paid. You can keep blaming Europe and white men for everything. That's your business. Case closed lipsrsealed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 1realBobby(m): 2:56pm On May 23, 2021
Beloved3:

@Blueelf

You see what I mean bro, there seems to be a dearth of simple researching technique here. You guys love it when the footballers you support are technical on the field of play but you don't want to be technical yourself in your football analysis. grin

@1realBobby, Blueelf
No it is not a gaming link. A little detailing would show you that. Anyways here is another link for Whoscored. Check Ndidi's total interception (add them up) on Whoscored and see that that premier league stat is as accurate as it can get.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/327683/MatchStatistics/Wilfred-Ndidi

@Blueelf
So to be specific, name one lad above Ndidi on the list that you don't agree with and let's treat it case by case. Perhaps this would enlighten you more on why he isn't world class yet on the metrics.

I mean the fifa link oga.. It's a gaming link. You do your due diligence..

And BTW, why are you streamlining the role of a DMF to just interceptions? Look into the other stats such as tackles and the likes for the past 3 seasons and then we can have this conversation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:56pm On May 23, 2021
Nelson Ogbonaya why na cry Enyimba were actually busting their butts before his gaffe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2021
Koboko99:

Lol no vex. Na your beloved Akwa united come my head as I dey type

Lol no wahala I knew what u meant from the jump grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 2:59pm On May 23, 2021
temi1290:

The gala he ran to sef,he still received bench

He started well tbf, but after his mother's death he was given time out from the team. Buh he still finished well tho. I'll say he was descent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:59pm On May 23, 2021
Call me crazy but I still believe it can happen cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 23, 2021
1realBobby:

I mean the fifa link oga.. It's a gaming link. You do your due diligence..

And BTW, why are you streamlining the role of a DMF to just interceptions? Look into the other stats such as tackles and the likes for the past 3 seasons and then we can have this conversation.

What conversation is it that we are having? Pray tell, incase I missed it. grin

You were in my mention with a question and I think I have answered you.

@Blueelf

If it was the FIFA link you were referring, you can disregard it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:05pm On May 23, 2021
Leicester are banking on John Terry's team to deny Chelsea the Champions league grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10716) (10717) (10718) (10719) (10720) (10721) (10722) ... (16379) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Philosopher1979, Danielnino00(m), quickberry(m), Dsimmer and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.