Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,053 members, 7,838,659 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10716) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11800405 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10713) (10714) (10715) (10716) (10717) (10718) (10719) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dozai: 9:27pm On May 22, 2021
Mn excelling in every metric used to judge a top DM for the last couple of years but mba he's not great.

He doesn't have great passing range this season the numbers are amongst the best for DMs in the EPL.

He plays for a small team that doesn't win titles this year he has won a trophy.

What else do you want from Ndidi?

[/quote]
If he be Senegalese. You go see this same people dey shout upandan that they are stacked with world class DM. Reason why Ndidi is berated here is simply because he is Nigerian. We like extolling others and berating ours. Like its in our blood. Put Ndidi side by side with gueye and ask me to chose. I no waste time on Ndidi. That guy is a maverick in his position. He is a DM for crying out loud. He is only a defender before the defense. How people want him to be throwing passes like iniesta or Ronaldinho is what I don't understand. Let them name one DM that does that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:32pm On May 22, 2021
edi287:

Where did I say Vardy was world class?

Bro vardy is world class

If you are to go by that guy judgement ,what has Kane done in the champions league

Na vardy wey no Dey big teams cause am

He forgot that vardy won the epl with small Leicester city

Elders go soon come chook mouth got this matter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:34pm On May 22, 2021
Beloved3:

Here it is below. It was one of my earliest posts on this thread.

It's still subjective.
Was Aboutrika of Egypt world class?
Is it only in Europe they make world class players?
If one decides to start and finish his career in South American league that is equally competitive does it mean the player cannot be world class?
Does it mean, no matter your input to the game, if you're from Liberia that cannot qualify fo world cup or you play for a modest team in Europe you cannot be world class?
Is Europe the only footballing destination?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 9:34pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

Joe Aribo is not creative. Iwobi has proven he can't play that role as we have seen many times. The responsibility of that role is above his abilities. He tires out and loses concentration.
As for me that number 10 role In the super eagles is for Michael Olise . Since Eberechi Eze don't want to play for us

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 22, 2021
edi287:

Do you have something against foreign born players or something??

How can you say Aribo, a guy who worked his way from isthamian league(sort of a semi professional league) to Charlton(after a successful trial btw) to Rangers as being "spoilt" and privileged?? Do you know how hard he's worked to get where is? Do you know how many English born players we have in the English lower leagues??

How you can dismiss the guy's ability just because he's "foreign born"?

Ohhhh bro you too dey fvck up you no suppose dey argue with a numskull like dat if no be for the opportunity of free basic somebody wey suppose dey argue ram fight for Kano or katsina dey come here form Gary Neville for you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:37pm On May 22, 2021
jihday:
name 5 CF better than Suarez (please don't mention the big 2)

Suarez is the best CF in the past 10 seasons

No cap

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:38pm On May 22, 2021
dozai:

If he be Senegalese. You go see this same people dey shout upandan that they are stacked with world class DF. Reason why Ndidi is berated here is simply because he is Nigerian. We like extolling others and berating ours. Like its in our blood. Put Ndidi side by side with gueye and ask me to chose. I no waste time on Ndidi. That guy is a maverick in his position. He is a DFM for crying out loud. He is only a defender before the defense. How people want him to be throwing passes like iniesta or Ronaldinho is what I don't understand. Let them name one DFM that does that

I tire for people for here Walai
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:46pm On May 22, 2021
sheyishemba:

Ohhhh bro you too dey fvck up you no suppose dey argue with a numskull like dat if no be for the opportunity of free basic somebody wey suppose dey argue ram fight for Kano or katsina dey come here form Gary Neville for you.
Nah this thing is tiring ooo. I'm starting to see some serious hate for "foreign born" naija players. It's ridiculous.
As if hard work is limited to home grown players...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:49pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

Pascal Karibe Ojigwe was a fantastic DM marshal , not a convert. He won U17 with Kanu and Oruma set, had a decent career with Monchenglabac and Leverkusen. He had the same fate with Oruma. The presence of Oliseh reduced his appearance with SE.

Another excellent DM was Christopher Justice who played 2002 world cup. These are natural DM not converts. I want natural DM who is not just about tackles and blocks.
Justice Christopher?? I'm certain na complete sport you dey use watch ball. Oliseh didn't block Ojigwe, at least Oruma was always making the team and got alot of invite but Ojigwe hardly got invited to the national team had a poor career in Germany too couldn't largely a bench warmer/reserve player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:51pm On May 22, 2021
orriyomi33:
FIFA considering holding the world cup every two(2) years. How do you all see this?
It's bad enough that they've made it 48 teams, making it biannual will devalue it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:53pm On May 22, 2021
andrewbaba44:

A decent career with 7 league games in a season ?
Even that Leverkusen I'm sure he spent most times on the bench, because I remember he wasn't part of the squad that played that 2002 champions league final

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:58pm On May 22, 2021
forgiveness:

That's it. He is a world class player.
Because of World Cup? Lots of players have had fantastic World Cup performances but that doesn't mean they are world class. World cup is just a game of 5-7 games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:03pm On May 22, 2021
sheyishemba:

Ebe m' jelu ekwe ejee , gwa nu m' ife m' ga eme ! Osukosu nwa mkpi nya biko sugbuo ya!

Phew!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:04pm On May 22, 2021
Beloved3:

Ok so what does Osimhen have to achieve before you can label him a world class player?
Consistency Bro, you have to rake in high numbers consistently not just a flash in the pan. I won't judge him if he doesn't shine much at the world cup because I know Nigeria isn't a big team neither will I expect him to start banging in 7-10 goals in the champions league as Napoli aren't expected to go far but if he can hit 20-25 Serie A goals for consecutive 3-5 years then you won't be wrong to say he's world class
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

Ebe m' jelu ekwe ejee , gwa nu m' ife m' ga eme ! Osukosu nwa mkpi nya biko sugbuo ya!

Phew!

Ode speak English make we hear una grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:12pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

He is not irreplaceable because he is so great , but because you dont have anybody else readily available to fill that spot.

Why did Rohr invited the U17 lad and Mikel Agu but started a defender in that position ?

Does he respect our home grown players ?

Why is Nwakali still missing in the invited list when we are in desperate need of an AM ?

I doubt Rohr respect our home grown talents. He just put up with them because he has no choice.

You are stuck with Ndidi because Rohr made it like that not because in the over 180 million population of Nigeria we can't find a better player.
First bolded: because they were crap in training and Semi isn't new to playing DM he's done it several times at club level
Brazil a country with over 200mill people but their coach still can't find a better and younger CB to replace Thiago Silva
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:14pm On May 22, 2021
sheyishemba:

Ode speak English make we hear una grin grin

I thought maybe you should try a new language since you are struggling with English comprehension.
How is the PHD job going?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

I thought maybe you should try a new language since you are struggling with English comprehension.
How is the PHD job going?

Am a multi linguist and if am definitely gonna learn a new language it won't be definitely that grin grin
And concerning the bolded all thanks to God local man is doing well grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:24pm On May 22, 2021
mank1234:

It's still subjective.
Was Aboutrika of Egypt world class?
Is it only in Europe they make world class players?
If one decides to start and finish his career in South American league that is equally competitive does it mean the player cannot be world class?
Does it mean, no matter your input to the game, if you're from Liberia that cannot qualify fo world cup or you play for a modest team in Europe you cannot be world class?
Is Europe the only footballing destination?
Abou was good but not world class he couldn't proove himself at the highest level, Riquelme was good but not world class he destroyed the South American league but not so much in Europe (tho his time at Villareal really helped put him in good light), Europe is where the highest quality of competition is, players from all continent play there not just Europeans that's why it's the best platform to tell the world how good you are

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:27pm On May 22, 2021
Olulong:

Was Gyan World class??

of course.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:28pm On May 22, 2021
maidaboi:
is Musa world class?

Of course.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:31pm On May 22, 2021
Beloved3:

Concerning Suarez, I have answered that here. Please see below;

@forgiveness, check my metrics/standard for a world class player in my earlier posts if you can.

I somehow agree with your metrics. However, such performance must be consistent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:33pm On May 22, 2021
jihday:
Because of World Cup? Lots of players have had fantastic World Cup performances but that doesn't mean they are world class. World cup is just a game of 5-7 games

World cup is part of it. You can't perform at the world cup like that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:35pm On May 22, 2021
edi287:

Do you have something against foreign born players or something??

How can you say Aribo, a guy who worked his way from isthamian league(sort of a semi professional league) to Charlton(after a successful trial btw) to Rangers as being "spoilt" and privileged?? Do you know how hard he's worked to get where is? Do you know how many English born players we have in the English lower leagues??

How you can dismiss the guy's ability just because he's "foreign born"?

Yes, indeed , I have a problem with non Nigerians who use us as a last option , when they have been ignored by their almighty European countries. It is called dignity. The English are notorious for this; when they play for lowly rated clubs they are eager to play for us, yet will ignore and mock us when they are flying high....i say ffuck that! And to make things worse , when they are finally invited we lay a red carpet for them and push our home grown players to the back door even when they are better.

I really don't care about the "suffering" of these English players...yes , the pains of walking to school under hot sun , playing soccer in the dirty and dusty street of London without food in their stomach, living in poor neighborhood with high rate of crime, going to substandard schools with crappy teachers , hawking in the streets of London like Osimhen without even a slippers....yes I see the suffering of these poor English boys. Isn't it so obvious their conditions are worse than our players.

You get it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:37pm On May 22, 2021
sheyishemba:

Am a multi linguist and if am definitely gonna learn a new language it won't be definitely that grin grin
And concerning the bolded all thanks to God local man is doing well grin grin

If you are indeed happy and in good mental health why then do you find it very hard to put your emotion under control ?

Can we agree you have a problem, at least ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:49pm On May 22, 2021
jihday:
First bolded: because they were crap in training and Semi isn't new to playing DM he's done it several times at club level
Brazil a country with over 200mill people but their coach still can't find a better and younger CB to replace Thiago Silva

They were "crap" according to you. So , Onyekuru was also crap when Rohr nearly frustrated him out , Nwakali is currently crap. They were crap but they kept good ratings with their clubs. So , if a midfielder didn't impress during training we should just convert a defender to play there....i hail Naija.

Do you ever wonder why your country is so backward ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 10:53pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

Yes, indeed , I have a problem with non Nigerians who use us as a last option , when they have been ignored by their almighty European countries. It is called dignity. The English are notorious for this; when they play for lowly rated clubs they are eager to play for us, yet will ignore and mock us when they are flying high....i say ffuck that! And to make things worse , when they are finally invited we lay a red carpet for them and push our home grown players to the back door even when they are better.

I really don't care about the "suffering" of these English players...yes , the pains of walking to school under hot sun , playing soccer in the dirty and dusty street of London without food in their stomach, living in poor neighborhood with high rate of crime, going to substandard schools with crappy teachers , hawking in the streets of London like Osimhen without even a slippers....yes I see the suffering of these poor English boys. Isn't it so obvious their conditions are worse than our players.

You get it.
Long story short - you don't like foreign born players. Got it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 10:56pm On May 22, 2021
edi287:

Long story short - you don't like foreign born players. Got it.

No, I don't dislike them I just want preferential treatment for Nigerian born and groomed talents. You know, just like the Europeans put their people first. Is that bad ? I love and respect Europeans for that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 11:10pm On May 22, 2021
Beloved3:

Great, I would actually agree with you that he's above average but not world class.

For me, a world class player is one that is able to sustain brilliant performance and numbers at the highest career stages i.e World cup, Champions league etc.

So once a player has had big numbers consistently in the local league, cup games (and world cup of applicable), and has had great numbers in the champions League as well for at least three seasons, he is world class!

Typical example for an attacker (bar long term injuries);

Local league games for the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals in each season

and

Champions League appearance for the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals (or close) combined in all three seasons.

And

Cup games (and world cup if applicable) during the past three seasons =
Must have scored atleast 20 goals combined in all three season.

Based in these standard, Jamie Vardy isn't world class!

Mbappe is world class!
Mbappe stats in the past three season;

Ligue1 = Has scored over 20 close or close to that in each of the past 3 season.
Check

Champions League = has scored close to 20 goals combined in the past 3 seasons
Check.

Cup games and world cup = scored close to 20 goals combined
Check.

Result = World class!

The above stat is a reference just for strikers.
Midfielders, defenders goal keepers have their separate reference stats for categorising a player as world class.

I really do not have the time to write up the reference stats for midfielders, defenders etc.

But really, we here need to have our own definition of a world class player as this has been a widely used term without clear definition.

I just threw a first stab at it and mine can be used as a preliminary.

We should make the definition, modify it, agree and sticky it somewhere as a standard. So when next anyone will call a player world class he can first consult on our standard grin

P.S. Ndidi would have to feature consistently in the big games and do what he does best in the world stage before he can be confirmed as world class. For now he isn't.
Beautiful rubbish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:18pm On May 22, 2021
About world class.
Pls can we name all the world class and top class players Nigeria have produced.

Mine:
In no particular order.
About 9 world class players.

World class:
1.OKOCHA
2.KANU.
3.MIKEL.
4.FINIDI.
5.OLISEH
6.TARIBO.
7.BABAYARO
8.AMUNEKE
9.NDIDI.

Top class:
1.ENYEAMA.
2.KESHI
3.RASHIDI.
4.ODEGBAMI.
5.MUDA LAWAL.
6.SIASIA
7.OSIMHEN.
8.OKECHUKWU.
9.MARTINS
10.AMOKACHI.
11.CHRISTIEN CHUKWU.
12.VICTOR MOSES.
13.TAYE TAIWO.
14.YOBO.
15.ETIM ESIN.
16.IKPEBA.
17.CHUKWUEZE
18.AMIESIMAKA.
19.RUFAI.
20.TESLIM BALOGUN.

Above average:
The rest of Tunisia/USA '94 and Atlanta '96 squad.
Osaze,Yakubu,Iheanacho,Ordia,Iwobi,
Agawhowa ,Babangida,Henri Nwosu
Owolabi,Emenike,Shofoluwe,Okala,
Etc.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:33pm On May 22, 2021
Omanambala:

No, I don't dislike them I just want preferential treatment for Nigerian born and groomed talents. You know, just like the Europeans put their people first. Is that bad ? I love and respect Europeans for that.
There's no comparison or whatsoever. They have Nigerian roots and nothing you say will change that.
They will still remain Nigerian even if they play for other countries as long as they don't denounce their roots.

I wish you knew how you sound with this talk...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 12:02am On May 23, 2021
edi287:

There's no comparison or whatsoever. They have Nigerian roots and nothing you say will change that.
They will still remain Nigerian even if they play for other countries as long as they don't denounce their roots.

I wish you knew how you sound with this talk...

Bear in mind , you are speaking to a guy whose 4 children were born in the western world. Yes , they are of Nigerian descent but their realities are very different. They can't be more Nigerian than their father who was born and raised in Nigeria. They enjoy benefits privilege a Nigerian kid can only dream about.

A player in the lowest league in England has a better benefits and retirement than players in our best clubside. You think you are doing them a favor but you are killing your own.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10713) (10714) (10715) (10716) (10717) (10718) (10719) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.