Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10978) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11624573 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10975) (10976) (10977) (10978) (10979) (10980) (10981) ... (16134) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by labas370(f): 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2021
There is a huge difference. This is like saying is there any difference between the netherland team spain beat in 2010 and the one they met in 2014.
Countries are trying to improve their female teams especially the zambian team.
SF may ofc beat the zambian team mainly on experience and international exposure which was what saved the chinese team yesterday, and apart from it, i will still repeat it that it will be difficult for the SF to beat them if they will try to play a slow tempo football.

Danielnino00:

Is there any difference between the Zambia team we beat at the last AWCON and this one?
Our inability to qualify for the Olympics is solely down to the incompetent on the part of the NFF... Talent wise, no team in Africa can match us....
Don't get it twisted, the falcons are still the queen of Africa football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by labas370(f): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2021
Nobody will criticize the SF if they put up same performance the zambians executed against the chinese team. Against the portugues and usa teams, even though we drew and lost respectively, nobody criticized the team but instead there were some selective criticizim of some players like ordega that was totally out form then.

A team ranked 104 outplaying a team ranked 15th isn't something to be bit worried about?

isan:
If Nigeria put up same performance against the Chinese most nigerians hailing zambia will criticize the performance

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2021
Anybody who can guess this?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:16pm On Jul 25, 2021
Today is not the first time the SF have missed the olympics infact the last one we qualified for was in 2008 but guess what during this same period we haven't been to the olympiad we have won many AWCONs and qualified for every single world cup.

Football is improving at least let Zambia win a match at the olympics but comparing the falcons to them.

labas370:
Man, i don't know who is a kid. Someone is telling you something based on reality and you still talking about former stuff.
Football is improving. Like play like play, SF missed the olympics. Weren't them QFinalist when we missed it?

Like i already replied someone, the zambia that played china and with the way they played them and high tempo, it will be very difficulty for the SF to beat them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 1:24pm On Jul 25, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Exactly, this win would make him an elite coach in the league. Hopefully Akwa keep him after the season.

Yea I would take Nasarawa over Kano right now but I still have to credit Rabiu Ali. His great season has been overshadowed by all the noise. He is the best attacking midfielder in the country today. The numbers are not even close.

He's good. I wish he left Pillars a few years ago. He may have had more opportunities (continental football, a transfer to a better league, etc).
Enyimba or Rivers United should do the Lord's work grin they have 3 more games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 1:26pm On Jul 25, 2021
This Zambian team simply cannot defend and we have many dangerous forwards. Their defensive naivety is there greatest undoing.
If they play us we will win 7 - 4.
They need to work on their defense to go far in football.
But at least they have many good players in midfield and attack.
But for now they are not up to our level

labas370:
There is a huge difference. This is like saying is there any difference between the netherland team spain beat in 2010 and the one they met in 2014.
SF may ofc beat the zambian team mainly on experience and international exposure which was what saved the chinese team yesterday, and apart from it, i will still repeat it that it will be difficult for the SF to beat them if they will try to play a slow tempo football.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 1:42pm On Jul 25, 2021
I'm still not convinced that this is Team USA's true form. They're not playing up to full potential.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by labas370(f): 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
Noo... I'm not talking about missing from the olympics. I'm talking based solely on what i watched yesterday and their improvement since 2016 i have been following the zambia female teams.
They might not get to win a match. They have made a huge improvement from the thrashing they got 5 days ago to this... man, if that is not an improvement, then i don't know whatelse is an improvement.

As someone that is more into female football, i'm very proud for what zambia did.
And coming to the SF, well, there's no place i said that the SF will not beat them but that they will find it difficult to do so.
There are some improvements which the SF needs to to.

Did you watch the match against portugal? if yes, you will notice that immediately we rasied the tempo of our game against portugal, didn't give them any space, marked all their body and ball movements, with timed passes, runs etc, we were able to get a draw from that match. Then, imagine keeping that same tempo from the start of the match till the last whistle. What do you think the scoreline would have been against portugal?
That's what happened against china.
Imagine them playing us like that with that too much pressure, ofc, we might win them but they will make our players to commit many fouls and a lot of mistakes which will lead to them scoring too.

chrisooblog:
Today is not the first time the SF have missed the olympics infact the last one we qualified for was in 2008 but guess what during this same period we haven't been to the olympiad we have won many AWCONs and qualified for every single world cup.

Football is improving at least let Zambia win a match at the olympics but comparing the falcons to them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:28pm On Jul 25, 2021
David Okereke starts

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:38pm On Jul 25, 2021
The Zambians did very well against China from an attacking (thanks to Banda) point of view however their defending leaves a lot to be desired. Today's SF still struggle against the big teams but I can boast that we will not be chopping cricket scorelines like we used to do in the past.

The fact of the matter is football is all about winning games if you can't win people will barely remember whether you 'tried' or not.

labas370:
Noo... I'm not talking about missing from the olympics. I'm talking based solely on what i watched yesterday and their improvement since 2016 i have been following the zambia female teams.
They might not get to win a match. They have made a huge improvement from the thrashing they got 5 days ago to this... man, if that is not an improvement, then i don't know whatelse is an improvement.

As someone that is more into female football, i'm very proud for what zambia did.
And coming to the SF, well, there's no place i said that the SF will not beat them but that they will find it difficult to do so.

Did you watch the match against portugal? if yes, you will notice that immediately we rasied the tempo of our game against portugal, didn't give them any space, marked all their body and ball movements, with timed passes, runs etc, we were able to get a draw from that match. Then, imagine keeping that same tempo from the start of the match till the last whistle. What do you think the scoreline would have been against portugal?
Imagine them playing us like that with that too much pressure, ofc, we might win them but they will make our players to commit many fouls and a lot of mistakes which will lead to them scoring too.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 2:50pm On Jul 25, 2021
France is giving it to the Americans grin grin. 49 seconds left. They lead
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 2:54pm On Jul 25, 2021
France leads by 4. 21 seconds left.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:56pm On Jul 25, 2021
DrLikita12:

He's good. I wish he left Pillars a few years ago. He may have had more opportunities (continental football, a transfer to a better league, etc).
Enyimba or Rivers United should do the Lord's work grin they have 3 more games

The story is that he hates leaving Kano. Anything apart from Kano Pillars games and super Eagles calls are a no no for him. He even turned down receiving an award in person when the league bloggers were willing to pay for everything.

Enyimba and Rivers are more suited for the continent. Rivers have finally gotten rid of Stanley Egunma so they should be good to go. I had seen enough a few years ago. I also don't know if I can trust Enyimba's Fatai Osho. His defense always make mistakes. I know u can't blame a coach for individual errors of players but this one is too much. Everybody and their mothers knew Ogbonnaya was the weak link during their continental run but he still played him time and time again.

The biggest issue now is finding CB to pad up the team's that will make it. It is almost a crisis at this point if I am being honest. Teams might need to go out of the country.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
Today two of Nigerian future stars play against each other in Sweden
Amoo vs Abdulrasaq
Will be live on Hesgoal by 4:30pm Nigerian time
I am not missing the match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 3:04pm On Jul 25, 2021
France defeats USA. The nightmare continues
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:40pm On Jul 25, 2021
But why have they been so awful lately? They have the talent

Ppogbae:
France defeats USA. The nightmare continues
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 3:52pm On Jul 25, 2021
I am sorry to say, but your assertions show that you have limited knowledge of female football.
Your disrespect for the Super Falcons is quiet alarming.
If not for CAF zoning nonsense, Zambia would never have qualified.
Also, your statement that Zambia's made an improvement by conceding four goals against one of the worst teams in the tournament is laughable!
All a team needs to do is mark Banda out.
Let Onome/Ogbonna jam her twice all those running around go stop.
As a matter of fact, Cameroon, Ghana, or Ivory Coast team will beat that Chinese team black and blue not to talk of the African Champion Emeritus!
labas370:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 3:53pm On Jul 25, 2021
Okereke the best of Club Brugge's front 3 vs Eupen in that first half.

Had the best chance of the game. Goalkeeper heroics.

Great passing ability. (passes like a midfielder)
Good movement.
Good decision making.

Poor dribbling

In the second half, had two more big chances to score. Failed.

Poor finishing

Ghana have a talent in this Nurudeen of a GK playing for Eupen. Denied Okereke thrice.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:34pm On Jul 25, 2021
And Adegbenro scores Amoo on the bench while Abdulrasaq starts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:50pm On Jul 25, 2021
Amoo on

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:52pm On Jul 25, 2021
Junior Pius start for St.Truiden against Gent in Belgium
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
labas370:

The fact that we didn't quality for the Olympics is what's making you say this..lol...
You seem to forget that the super falcons were inactive for over a year prior to the 2018 AWCON which affected their performance in some games,but they still ended up winning the tournament ahead of some countries like South Africa that's been preparing for long..
You also seem to forget that we now have a better sqaud with the inclusion of more foreign born players in decent teams..
No wahala, another AWCON is coming, then maybe we will face Zambia,and you will get your answers...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by labas370(f): 9:16pm On Jul 25, 2021
Sorry man, but i think i'm more supportive of our SF than you. most of my posts are on the female SF thread and i think i have quite a lot of knowledge regarding female football especially CAF than you.
I don't know what you call improvements. SF collected 3 from portugal just few months ago or collecting upto 3 goals is nothing?
Sweden thrashing USA 3:0 didn't make the USA team to be thrash. China getting whopped by Brazil doesn't make them to be pushovers when it comes to female football. Nigeria struggled against portugal and against USA.

The zambian team will make our players commit many fouls.
And you can't just spring out of nowhere and start accusing me of disrespecting the SF.
My statement still stands.
With the way the zambian team played the chinese team, if they should play our super falcons like that, it will be difficult for our team to beat them.
I'm 1billion % sure that you didn't watch the match. Try watch the replay of the full match.
You mean the same cameroon that zambia stopped from qualifying for this same olympics?
LOL, You just embrassed yourself claiming that i have limited knowledge of female football.

fabyom:
I am sorry to say, but your assertions show that you have limited knowledge of female football.
Your disrespect for the Super Falcons is quiet alarming.
If not for CAF zoning nonsense, Zambia would never have qualified.
Also, your statement that Zambia's made an improvement by conceding four goals against one of the worst teams in the tournament is laughable!
All a team needs to do is mark Banda out.
Let Onome/Ogbonna jam her twice all those running around go stop.
As a matter of fact, Cameroon, Ghana, or Ivory Coast team will beat that Chinese team black and blue not to talk of the African Champion Emeritus!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by labas370(f): 9:24pm On Jul 25, 2021
Last time nigeria met china in 2019, china thrashed the SF 3:0.
I'm happy for the improvements the SF have been making lately and i want them to continue and improve in the areas that need improvement.
Some people here trying to discredit the zambian team for outplaying the chinese team and drawing 4:4 with them is what i don't support.
I will like to see if our SF can thrash the chinese team atleast 3:0 since they are so easy to beat.

Danielnino00:

The fact that we didn't quality for the Olympics is what's making you say this..lol...
You seem to forget that the super falcons were inactive for over a year prior to the 2018 AWCON which affected their performance in some games,but they still ended up winning the tournament ahead of some countries like South Africa that's been preparing for long..
You also seem to forget that we now have a better sqaud with the inclusion of more foreign born players in decent teams..
No wahala, another AWCON is coming, then maybe we will face Zambia,and you will get your answers...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 9:30pm On Jul 25, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

The story is that he hates leaving Kano. Anything apart from Kano Pillars games and super Eagles calls are a no no for him. He even turned down receiving an award in person when the league bloggers were willing to pay for everything.

Enyimba and Rivers are more suited for the continent. Rivers have finally gotten rid of Stanley Egunma so they should be good to go. I had seen enough a few years ago. I also don't know if I can trust Enyimba's Fatai Osho. His defense always make mistakes. I know u can't blame a coach for individual errors of players but this one is too much. Everybody and their mothers knew Ogbonnaya was the weak link during their continental run but he still played him time and time again.

The biggest issue now is finding CB to pad up the team's that will make it. It is almost a crisis at this point if I am being honest. Teams might need to go out of the country.

I generally prefer Rivers. Enyimba is good, but their continental campaign under this coach was frustrating- especially in SA and North Africa.

I don't want to call Rabiu Ali unambitious because ambition can look different from person to person, but I really dislike this attitude of his. I think that stepping out is sometimes necessary for growth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 10:03pm On Jul 25, 2021
labas370:
Sorry man, but i think i'm more supportive of our SF than you. most of my posts are on the female SF thread and i think i have quite a lot of knowledge regarding female football especially CAF than you.
I don't know what you call improvements. SF collected 3 from portugal just few months ago or collecting upto 3 goals is nothing?
Sweden thrashing USA 3:0 didn't make the USA team to be thrash. China getting whopped by Brazil doesn't make them to be pushovers when it comes to female football. Nigeria struggled against portugal and against USA.

And you can't just spring out of nowhere and start accusing me of disrespecting the SF.
With the way the zambian team played the chinese team, if they should play our super falcons like that, it will be difficult for our team to beat them.
I'm 1billion % sure that you didn't watch the match. Try watch the replay of the full match.
You mean the same cameroon that zambia stopped from qualifying for this same olympics?
LOL, You just embrassed yourself claiming that i have limited knowledge of female football.

Zambia stopped Cameroon on away goal rule and that's because some of the Cameroonian players couldn't make the trip. Same with the SF against Ivory coast I think.

The Super Falcons has not been able to qualify since the advent of this new format because the qualifiers are played during the season and some of the players are either tired from traveling or not available at all. This is because most of them are foreign based unlike other female teams in Africa.

CAF should revert back to using the AWCON, where all the players will be available for the duration of the tournament.

On our friendly with United States and Portugal.
Most of our regulars were not available and that was the first time half of the squad were playing together yet the US team can only beat us by 2 fortuitous goals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 1:23am On Jul 26, 2021
Zambia eliminated Cameroon that eliminated CIV that eliminated us. Give it to them.

labas370:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 2:21am On Jul 26, 2021
fabyom:

Zambia stopped Cameroon on away goal rule and that's because some of the Cameroonian players couldn't make the trip. Same with the SF against Ivory coast I think.

The Super Falcons has not been able to qualify since the advent of this new format because the qualifiers are played during the season and some of the players are either tired from traveling or not available at all. This is because most of them are foreign based unlike other female teams in Africa.

CAF should revert back to using the AWCON, where all the players will be available for the duration of the tournament.

On our friendly with United States and Portugal.
Most of our regulars were not available and that was the first time half of the squad were playing together yet the US team can only beat us by 2 fortuitous goals.
Chairman nice write up. An allegation was made against you sir, is it true you didn't watch Zambia vs China at this Olympics?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 7:44am On Jul 26, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Chairman nice write up. An allegation was made against you sir, is it true you didn't watch Zambia vs China at this Olympics?
I did! Except for the first goal against China which came through a lucky header, all they have been doing is to give the ball to Banda to run towards goal from 30 metres to score. What's fantastic about that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:00am On Jul 26, 2021
FUTURE SUPER FALCON

Promising midfielder ASHLEY ANTONI AKPAN aka Ashanti is under the spotlight for A2Z today. Ashanti currently plays for Sunderland U18 in England after coming through the ranks at Chelsea.

The 17 year old is fast, dynamic and has the technical ability to operate either in midfield or at right back. Though her national allegiance is yet to be confirmed, she is however eligible to play for Nigeria �� , Poland �� and England ������� at National level.

With the recent influx of foreign based players to their country of origin, do you think Nigeria will be able to secure the addition of this youngster to the national team?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:03am On Jul 26, 2021
Iwobi played very well against Milionairos.

Of any outfield players, Rafa Benitez kept him the longest on the pitch.

His versatility is killing him, though. First half played on the left wing, second on the right.

Benitez does not like James Rodriguez, might be a good thing for Iwobi. James had an awful game before getting chucked off at half time.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:37am On Jul 26, 2021
Newly-signed Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka has put himself in contention to make his non-competitive debut for his new employers when the Premier League new boys take on Manchester United in a high profile friendly on Wednesday evening.

The Super Eagles star took to social media on Sunday to announce that he has started training with his new teammates at the Bees, accompanied by a photo of him wearing the Brentford training kit.

Prior to yesterday's workout, Onyeka could not take part in pre-season activities as he was undergoing a period of quarantine following his arrival in the United Kingdom on Monday, July 19.

The former FC Midtjylland star underwent individual training at his past club before sealing a transfer to Brentford, but has not played a game, official and non-competitive, since taking to the pitch against Aarhus GF on May 24, 2021.

Brentford have a one hundred percent record in pre-season, beating Watford, AFC Wimbledon and Boreham Wood, before their trip to Old Trafford.

Onyeka has faced British teams in the past, starting both matches against Glasgow Rangers in Europa League qualifying in August 2019, before starring versus Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League last season.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10975) (10976) (10977) (10978) (10979) (10980) (10981) ... (16134) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.