Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11612665 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11144) (11145) (11146) (11147) (11148) (11149) (11150) ... (16126) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2021
kendrick93:

The AstroTurf at Enugu was laid in the year 2009..
Before then, the National teams still didn't host any of their games there.
The last time a National side held a competitive game in the east was in the 99 u20 world cup hosted by Nigeria.
That was ***** 22 yrs ago...
National matches supposed to be played in all geopolitical zones of the country..
If the eagles could host matches in sub standard facilities like Asaba & Calabar then they have no excuses not coming down to the Eastern part of the country
Not only all regions, it should be played in all states and all villages. cheesy

Before Abuja fell into disrepair, it was our homebase and hardly any matches were played outside there. Before then it was the National stadium Lagos.

If you were wiser, you would join the clamour for our squad to have a permanent base with complete facilities, instead of advising that they tour the country from Zamfara to Cross river just to please ethnic biased minds like you and others.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:06pm On Sep 04, 2021
kendrick93:

The AstroTurf at Enugu was laid in the year 2009..
Before then, the National teams still didn't host any of their games there.
The last time a National side held a competitive game in the east was in the 99 u20 world cup hosted by Nigeria.
That was ***** 22 yrs ago...
National matches supposed to be played in all geopolitical zones of the country..
If the eagles could host matches in sub standard facilities like Asaba & Calabar then they have no excuses not coming down to the Eastern part of the country

Enugu stadium was used in 2009. FIFA U17 World Cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2021
jihday:
most of our epl guys have already gone back to England
We'll be playing Cape Verde without our 2 CBS, 3 MFs and AT that played the game against Liberia....That's massive: Ekong, Balogun, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi and Iheanacho.
Hopefully the new guys recruited would do the job in Praia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

If you're afraid of those two, then you don't have any business in going to the world cup.
The Senegal I watched against Togo is nothing Special. Even Algeria Man to Man can't be compared to Nigeria players. I watched our last AFCON 2019 match with them (full match) and I noticed that they actually played nothing extraordinary.

What the have is that Team play and a good coach

Nothing extraordinary you say but they were better than us. That means we played below thrash.

See truth talk.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2021
kendrick93:

Imagine that.
It wasn't even of their will but circumstance.
And you have folks here who still don't get what I'm driving at or they do but rather prefer playing the ostrich...
From Kano to Kaduna, PH, Warri, Lagos,Uyo, Calabar etc....
virtually all these cities have hosted either the male or female national team since 22yrs a national side hosted a game @Enugu..
o wrong nau.
The s/east governors and even the players are partly to blame...

It's either you are ignorant or being mischievous...
There are only two stadiums that can host the super eagles in the east.. That's Enyimba stadium and the Enugu stadium.. The problem here is that Enyimba's stadium isn't big enough,and the city of Aba doesn't have the necessary infrastructure to host the eagles. Enugu own is that the stadium pitch is Astro... The super eagles stopped using Astro pitches in the country long ago...If memory serves me right,the last time we played on Astro pitch in Nigeria was when we hosted Botswana in a friend in Benin city when the stadium still had astro pitch...
And finally,what efforts are the governors in the east putting into attracting the super eagles to come and play in their states? Abi you think Pinnick is just moving the team to anywhere he likes? No bro.. the governors are the ones enticing the team so as to score political points...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayow: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2021
nelszx:

We'll be playing Cape Verde without our 2 CBS, 3 MFs and AT that played the game against Liberia....That's massive: Ekong, Balogun, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi and Iheanacho.
I wish Rohr blooded the new guys in the Liberia game.

No harm in playing a 352.

Omeruo-Awaziem-Aina

Simon-Bonke-Michael-Kalu
Ejuke
Osihmen-Onuachu/Musa

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2021
nelszx:

Hopefully we get a win,however if we c draw on dt synthetic pitch make we manage am smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:12pm On Sep 04, 2021
nelszx:

not sure about Balogun and Aribo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16pm On Sep 04, 2021
Likely XI based on lads available:

Okoye, Collins, Awaziem, Omeruo, Aina, Shehu, Kingsley, Kalu, Ejuke, Simon, Osimhen.

Subs:
Uzoho
Akpeyi
Onuachu
Moffi
Ozornwafor
Musa
Sanusi
Adeleke
Onyekuru
Ebuehi
Bonke

The only likely two changes is Ahmed Musa starting in place of Ejuke And Bonke starting in place of Kingsley.

I prefer Ejuke because I feel Osimhen needs as much creative support as possible in Ejuke, Kalu and Simon behind and flanking him. He needs creative nous and not another runner in Musa.

BUT really Elyte? You think we can hopefully win or draw. Wow, I have never seen Elyte89 this optimistic in the absence of some of our star regulars. What's going on? grin

elyte89:

Hopefully we get a win,however if we c draw on dt synthetic pitch make we manage am smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 5:37pm On Sep 04, 2021
jihday:
how is it the players? Do they choose the venue? Tell your governors to bring money and watch how the NFF will rush there

Lol...i tell u
Hope the Uyo State governor takes up the responsibility to host next matches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
FC Lorient President has revealed his club ensured that “at all costs” striker Terem Moffi was not tempted away from the French Ligue 1 team during this summer transfer window.

Moffi, 22, was recently linked with Atletico Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur.

And the Lorient President, Loic Frey, has now told Ouest-France that Moffi was one of four Lorient players who the club had resolved to keep “at all costs”.

The newspaper reported that both Atletico and Spurs were interested in signing Moffi.

Last season, the young Nigeria striker scored 15 goals and provided three assists after Lorient forked out eight Million Euros for him.

In the new season, he has scored a goal and made an assist thus far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
maidaboi:
Osimhen dt was below average,nobody gree talk
abt am because him na d favourite, yeye dey smell

totally untrue
I probably read a post where someone called him a fool here

On Aina me too no know what they want him to do again the guy did well yesterday

I saw this too not too long ago and I just shook my head.

But it's well, it's because of that missed chance in the first half that was even an flagged offside. So it would not have counted.

What they don't understand is that Osimhen is always on the move. Always in motion, and so he met that ball almost awkwardly. This happens a lot to High pressing forwards. It was a bad miss no doubt but it's not uncommon for forwards who constantly are on the move across the whole final third.

But there was one occasion where he should have done better. That ball he ran onto due to a poor backpass by a Liberian defender early in the second half, I felt he didn't have to take an extra touch coz of the pitch and also the keeper was already closing the angle. But guess what? Another big chance still came out of this action (to be discussed below under 2 action moments we wasted).

And Osimhen was not below average yesterday. He had a good header on target in the second half that was saved. He destabilised the Liberian defence with his pace and power several times and even took the blows of having two Liberian players battle him aerially from that long throw by Collins leading to the intelligent 2nd goal by Iheanacho.
Osimhen took most of the hits upfront yesterday, worked hard as usual and pulled defenders onto himself creating invasive spaces for others to exploit.

There were two occasions where the team should have done better to feed him but they made poor decisions.

1. 1st Occasion/Action moment:

1st was Ola Aina after that Osimhen interception of that Liberian defender's backpass which he could not finish pass the keeper but was parried into Aina's path. Watch how Osimhen speedily got into a scoring position waiting for Aina's simple cross pass only for Aina for go long and for Iheanacho (One of my Super Favs - you all know this) to meet it badly and the chance wasted.

2. 2nd occasion/Action moment (shown in shot below):

2nd action moment was the most annoying. Ndidi (another of my top favs) was the culprit here. He had Osimhen to his right in a perfect onside position (and even Iheanacho further right of Osimhen) but he chose to linger on the ball and make the bad call of feeding Iwobi in an offside position and that chance got wasted as well.

Had the right decisions been made in those instances, we would be talking a whitewash of the Liberians and possibly an Osimhen Brace.

In all, we won and Iheanacho finally enters double figures in his international goals tally. 11 goals + 5 assists for Nacho from 33 caps.

Also first time Nacho is scoring more than 1 goal in a calendar year for us since 2017.

Note: Shot below is in reference to 2nd action moment where we should have done better as a team. Ndidi to Osimhen was the best option in this case. Not to Iwobi who was clearly in an offside position.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dozai: 5:41pm On Sep 04, 2021
jihday:
most of our epl guys have already gone back to England
So Etebo just enter plane come Naija, siddon for bench finish. Collect him winning bonus enter plane again go back. I just dey calculate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2021
Lol... he played a few mins.

dozai:

So Etebo just enter plane come Naija, siddon for bench finish. Collect him winning bonus enter plane again go back. I just dey calculate.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:44pm On Sep 04, 2021
As you saw yesterday, my guy was chilling throughout. Only threats were a freekick he comfortably caught and that tricky strike from the right wing (Okoye's left) in the second half which he did well to gather.

Olulong:

Okoye again.. Sighs cry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:48pm On Sep 04, 2021
Terrible Linesmen on display

Meanwhile this was blown for offside against Iwobi. Those linesmen were really crap yesterday. Lol

1. Iwobo onside at the point pass was hit...

2. Iwobi still onside with the ball having travelled midway to reach him.

I laff tire after reviewing this twice. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hatakekakashi: 5:51pm On Sep 04, 2021
dozai:

He came in for Aribo na. Towards 90 mins tho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:53pm On Sep 04, 2021
La Liga side Getafe reportedly made a last-ditch attempt to sign Nigerian forward Umar Sadiq from Almeria on the last day of the summer transfer window.

According to reliable Spanish publications La Voz, the Deep Blue Ones offered their Segunda division counterparts a player-plus-cash offer for the former Partizan Belgrade striker.

Getafe were among the first clubs to make a bid for Sadiq this summer, offering €16 million (7.8 billion naira) back in July, which was promptly rejected by La Union.

The Rojiblancos valued the 24-year-old who scored 22 goals in all competitions in his debut season in Spain at around €30 million. That is half of the €60 million release clause in Sadiq’s contract with the Spanish club.

But Getafe waited until the final hours of transfer deadline day to present an improved bid of €18 million in cash plus an unnamed player and other add-ons that could have pushed up the transfer fee to €25 million (N12.3 billion).

Still, Almeria were not impressed and refused to approve the deal, deciding instead to retain the services of the former AS Roma forward.

Despite his well-known dreams of playing in the Spanish La Liga, Sadiq has largely been unaffected by the rumours linking him to move away from Estadio de Los Juegos Mediterráneos. The ex-Rangers loanee already has a goal and an assist in three league matches for Almeria this term.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2021
wayodude:

Excellent. No complaints from my side. Should be 3 nil up by half time.

And this man was almost spot on. Nice Spot. Using your "wayo" eyes to see things. grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:57pm On Sep 04, 2021
Iheanacho made one of FIFA.com/FIFA WC's Stories on Instagram

This was their caption in honor of his brace yesterday. Lol

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2021
About afcon 2021.

Because of covid issues caf will actually allow a 30 man list instead of the usual 23. As a result Rohr can include some players like sadiw umat, nwakali etc that are on his supplementary list.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 6:13pm On Sep 04, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

And this man was almost spot on. Nice Spot. Using your "wayo" eyes to see things. grin

Hahaha you know me bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:18pm On Sep 04, 2021
Lol... Don't even expect to see Nwakali's name on the list of 30. Rohr don't know how to use DLPs. He isn't looking to dictate plays which is what we should be doing. Even Alhassan no sure with the way Rohr is going.

If they make it, fine. Will be so glad but you and I know Rohr. Let's see if he shocks us. Lol

Philosopher1979:
About afcon 2021.

Because of covid issues caf will actually allow a 30 man list instead of the usual 23. As a result Rohr can include some players like sadiw umat, nwakali etc that are on his supplementary list.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2021
wayodude:

Hahaha you know me bro

Lol... Carry on my good man. wink

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:37pm On Sep 04, 2021
Philosopher1979:
About afcon 2021.

Who is Sadiw Umat again biko

Awo still dey ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 6:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
jihday:
not sure about Balogun and Aribo
The Scottish PL is part of the UK so these players will leave for Scotland immediately
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:43pm On Sep 04, 2021
do4luv14:

Awo still dey ooo

I meant Sadiq Umar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 6:48pm On Sep 04, 2021
Great formation!
Odunayow:
I wish Rohr blooded the new guys in the Liberia game.

No harm in playing a 352.

Omeruo-Awaziem-Aina

Simon-Bonke-Michael-Kalu
Ejuke
Osihmen-Onuachu/Musa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:48pm On Sep 04, 2021
Philosopher1979:

I meant Sadiq Umar

Oh OK sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2021
It is not an easy stuff scoring two great goals on a farmland.
Africa defense is in for a torture at the nation's cup!
The attack of Osi, Nacho, Iwobi, Chuz, and Aribo will give most teams in the world sleepless night.
Nigerians! our team is taking shape!
TheSuperNerd:
Iheanacho made one of FIFA.com/FIFA WC's Stories on Instagram

This was their caption in honor of his brace yesterday. Lol

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:56pm On Sep 04, 2021
do4luv14:

Awo still dey ooo
grin Sadiw Umat
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2021
maidaboi:
A Nigerian defending the field on Leicester forum

The Moroccan lad is right. Lagos,the megacity and economic powerhouse of Africa, should have at least 2 world class stadia. Every other major city like Ibadan, PH, Kano, etc. should have at least 1. I hope we play our next matches in Abuja to avoid further embarrassment. Teslim Balogun looks like utter garbage.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11144) (11145) (11146) (11147) (11148) (11149) (11150) ... (16126) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.