Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11406) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11699709 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11403) (11404) (11405) (11406) (11407) (11408) (11409) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:38am On Oct 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

I keep on hoping for Haaland to slow down ,the more I hope the more the Warey Dey disappoint me grin

The debate is getting ridiculous as time goes on, Haarland is a Ballon d'or candidate

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 9:54am On Oct 19, 2021
grin grin grin halaand and mbappe are the heir to the throne osimehn is only coming up for now we can say they are all in same class but does two lead's and dictate the pace for others to follow and to you guy's 'saying better all round' hope you know dey don't use that statement to give awards or place a player above some one that has a better goals and assist records wink wink wink on the international scene smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:56am On Oct 19, 2021
Another angle to celebrate osimehn stats is to state that he isn’t even his club penalty taker. If he were, his goal records could had increased
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:06am On Oct 19, 2021
Subzero047:

Giroud has better workrate than Kane in the end which do you as a coach prefer? The one who gives you a greater amount of goals all this nonsense about workrate and what not is just sentiments because at the end a striker is judged by one metric and that is the amount of goals he scores and I assure you no coach in the world will pick Osimhen over Haaland

Pep and Klopp are two of the best managers of the modern football era...They both have two strikers who aren't in anyway renowned for their goalscoring exploit,but are efficient hard workers in their team..
Would you say Pep and Klopp are stupid or ignorant for not preferring to have centre forward whose only attribute is goalscoring?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

You guys are always quick to abandon the point.

TheSuperNerd took time to explain his point and to a huge extent I will agree with him.

Keep in mind I have been repping Haaland since his Salzburg days.

Haaland is a freak of nature. Sometimes I feel he was cloned in a lab. He does a lot of things to perfection. He runs at record speeds effortlessly. Finishes balls from impossible angles with ease.

However, the talk is about other attributes being brought to the table. Osimhen's work rate around the offensive area is brilliant. Also, his defending is crazy. That is why I believe Guardiola will want to fight for him.

These extra attributes will make some prefer Osimhen to Haaland.

It is just like when Pellegrini said he preferred Riquelme to Ronaldhino. That was die to attributes.

Thanks for your fine understanding My GoodJoe.

In a reply to Andrewbaba44 during our discussion (in post below), I even admitted that Haaland is rated better right now. But not far better as they said.

But what I keep pointing out and they keep misinterpretating and refusing to grab is that Osimhen is the more well-rounded striker. Osimhen is more complete than Haaland, all things considered. Haaland only trumps him big time in finishing. Finito.

This is why I have always termed Häland The Goals Machine while for Osimhen's all round attributes, The Monster Machine.

Why that is hard to grab is funny. It is also I who admit that Lewandowski may be the best striker in the Bundesliga and in Europe today but Haaland is clearly the most clinical.

Eye test... Unbiased Eye test and analyses of the players' other in-game attributes reveals more beyond the goals numbers.

It is well. As usual, there will be those who deliberately take words out of context.

And did someone just say Giroud has more workrate than Harry Kane?? Chisos!!! That is a huge lie because even their heatmaps and defensive attributes/stats disagree.

People just lying to discredit the truth of Osimhen's all round game over Haaland. Na wa. grin

TheSuperNerd:
Considering injuries and Covid limited Osimhen's impact last season while Haaland was flying in Bundesliga and the UCL, then I can live with "better" for now. All things considered.

But I insist that Osimhen is a more complete CF than Haaland. That one, I will analyse and over analyse to the depths on a good day. So make no one even take me there. Besides now is not even a good time. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2021
Subzero047:

Giroud has better workrate than Kane in the end which do you as a coach prefer? The one who gives you a greater amount of goals all this nonsense about workrate and what not is just sentiments because at the end a striker is judged by one metric and that is the amount of goals he scores and I assure you no coach in the world will pick Osimhen over Haaland

I disagree. There is a big change in football taking place I noticed. The new hitmen have more to do with respect of defense and spreading the wall.

To explain further, most teams now camp deep inside their last third. That is the new way weaker teams set up against top possessive sides.

The solution is a striker that has intensity to make runs with and without the ball. This movement creates passing options for the midfielders. With this, you have the chance of spreading the wall to create passing/running lanes for the offensive midfielders to exploit.

With respect to that, you cannot just rate a striker based on goal conversion rate.

That is why Firmino without being a large goal getter, remains highly rated by Klopp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Apart from goal scoring what can cr7 offer ?

If we are to go buy this narrative so many players are better then cr7

If you are a striker we are only interested in the goals abeg ,who work rate help

Una go Dey shift goal post anytime una see Wetin pass una

Football don change...anybody fit score now..why u think say clubs no break bank for Onuachu, Haaland ....they are one dimensional...u mark them out of a game u are playing short one. Osimhen dey score..hold up play, e get speed, e fit come from wings, e dey diaorganize defence...e complete.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:18am On Oct 19, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

In a reply to Andrewbaba44 during our discussion (in post below), I even admitted that Haaland is rated better right now. But not far better as they said.

But what I keep pointing out and they keep misinterpretating and refusing to grab is that Osimhen is the more well-rounded striker. Osimhen is more complete than Haaland, all things considered. Haaland only trumps him big time in finishing. Finito.

This is why I have always termed Häland The Goals Machine while for Osimhen's all round attributes, The Monster Machine.

Why that is hard to grab is funny. It is also I who admit that Lewandowski may be the best striker in the Bundesliga and in Europe today but Haaland is clearly the most clinical.

Eye test... Unbiased Eye test and analyses of the players' other in-game attributes reveals more beyond the goals numbers.

It is well. As usual, there will be those who take deliberately take words out of context.

And did someone just say Giroud has more workrate than Harry Kane?? Chisos!!! That is a huge lie because even their heatmaps and defensive attribites/stats disagree.

People just lying to discredit the truth of Osimhen's all round game over Haaland. Na wa. grin

Based on work rate, Harry Kane is a monster. That is why Guardiola really wanted him but I believe Guardiola's radar is on Osimhen now.

Osimhen's wing play, work rate and defending ability is off the chain.

Also, Guardiola's team mate, Amunike discovered and refined Osimhen.

That is why I hope Osimhen jumps on the offer if Guardiola comes knocking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dymusty86: 10:23am On Oct 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Osimhen deserves every accolades and he is not just Hyped here only

My only argument with the supernerd is that Haaland is the better player , every other thing he is saying about osimhen he is right

The only osimhen argument you will see me in is when it involves Haaland or any other better player

I Dey like talk things as e be ,when they said he is the leading striker in Africa I agreed with everyone because after making my research I didn’t see any striker I could match with him
I challenge you to bring where TSnerdy said oshimen is better footballer than halland. Sentiment will not allow some of you to read between the lines. What he said was osihmen is better all round play than halland not that he is better than halland. I won’t bother to explain further because you will not understand or pretend not to understand. My next generation top 3 CF 1. Mbappe 2. Halland 3. Oshimen

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:28am On Oct 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Based on work rate, Harry Kane is a monster. That is why Guardiola really wanted him but I believe Guardiola's radar is on Osimhen now.

Finito!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2021
grin cheesy

Cruise thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:33am On Oct 19, 2021
12large1:

See your Foolish mouth. What’s the main objective of a striker? Let osimehn win the top scorer at his league before I can even engage in such conversation.
Iheanacho has 19 goals 5 in 35 games in 2021 for Leicester at Epl and I won’t even claim that he is better than haaland.

Anumanu.... foolish mouth... paid associate... what else??

Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyy this habit ehnnnn.... Your fingers na wa grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:34am On Oct 19, 2021
Danielnino00:

Pep and Klopp are two of the best managers of the modern football era...They both have two strikers who aren't in anyway renowned for their goalscoring exploit,but are efficient hard workers in their team..
Would you say Pep and Klopp are stupid or ignorant for not preferring to have centre forward whose only attribute is goalscoring?

Would Pep have a freak who averages a goal a game and dump him for a very good striker who has good defensive workrate? Pep wanted Haarland and Cr7 who are goal machines and nothing else, Klopp preferred Jota who was a slightly better goalscorer than Firmino until the Watford game and that tells you a lot, so my dear whether Pep or Klopp no coach in the world will pass up on the opportunity of signing a phenomenon like Haarland no matter his philosophy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:36am On Oct 19, 2021
dymusty86:
I challenge you to bring where TSnerdy said oshimen is better footballer than halland. Sentiment will not allow some of you to read between the lines. What he said was osihmen is better all round play than halland not that he is better than halland. I won’t bother to explain further because you will not understand or pretend not to understand. My next generation top 3 CF 1. Mbappe 2. Halland 3. Oshimen

Oga shut up your mouth if you didn’t follow the arguement at first

I said Haaland is better than osimhen and that brought the arguement between me and nerdy so what are you saying ?

Don’t explain anything to me oga because you have nothing reasonable to say

You are the person with sentiment here ,blind man

Na anytime we get arguement with nerdy una go Dey come out from una hole

Now gtfoh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:36am On Oct 19, 2021
@TheSuperNerd

I just noticed something from Manchester City U23 game.

Remember I talked about curling shots and how to break compact defences.

In one of the games, he used Cole Palmer as the Hitman and the striker to spread the defence.

It worked to a devastating effect of the opposition. The last goal was an icing on the cake and a reminder of the curling shots I talked about.

So the shooters are the creative attack midfielders. The drive shots or make driving runs. Also comfortable on the ball and good in tight spaces.

I think this role will suit Iheanacho and bring out the best in him.

Just noticed Maresca has left Manchester City. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1akhlihTLY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 10:38am On Oct 19, 2021
If haaland is a nigerian, they won't be having this biased and irritating argument. Double standards everywhere.
The traditional role of a striker is to score the majority of goals on behalf of the team. Has Osimhen performed better than haaland in terms of goals scored? The same pep is gonna pick haaland over Osimhen anytime anyday, twice a week.

More complete CF kor. Complete sports ni.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:39am On Oct 19, 2021
Truidstar:

Football don change...anybody fit score now..why u think say clubs no break bank for Onuachu, Haaland ....they are one dimensional...u mark them out of a game u are playing short one. Osimhen dey score..hold up play, e get speed, e fit come from wings, e dey diaorganize defence...e complete.

Leave onuachu alone ,he has been unlucky and he is playing at Belgium at 27 ,if he was younger he would have moved ,and I am sure he will move soon

Anybody fit score as if anybody fit average 1 goal in every 1 game ,think before you open your mouth waaaaaaa

You said apart from goal scoring Haaland cannot offer anything,so why are all the big clubs dying to get haaland ?

Oga stop contradicting yourself abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:42am On Oct 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Harry Kane is no work rate monster he has one of the least presses among forwards this season and like I said the fact that Guardiola is at the forefront of suitors for Haarland shows that he prefers winning above every other thing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:42am On Oct 19, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

It is well. As usual, there will be those who deliberately take words out of context.

And did someone just say Giroud has more workrate than Harry Kane?? Chisos!!! That is a huge lie because even their heatmaps and defensive attributes/stats disagree.

If we are to go by all round game and everything a player offers isak is even better than Haaland

If we Dey rate striker Na who score pass ooo Baba

If we are to go by your narrative Oliver giroud is better than Harry Kane

All these narrative is just for you to proove a point that’s not needed

If we are going for who is better Na person wey poach goals pass

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43am On Oct 19, 2021
@TheSuperNerd

That is the striker actually does a lot of running around the 18 yard box to spread the defence and give room to the 10 that does the shooting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:43am On Oct 19, 2021
Subzero047:

Would Pep have a freak who averages a goal a game and dump him for a very good striker who has good defensive workrate? Pep wanted Haarland and Cr7 who are goal machines and nothing else, Klopp preferred Jota who was a slightly better goalscorer than Firmino until the Watford game and that tells you a lot, so my dear whether Pep or Klopp no coach in the world will pass up on the opportunity of signing a phenomenon like Haarland no matter his philosophy
Pep wanted Haaland and Cr7 yen yen...did he get them? when the move failed, why didn't he go for another 18 yard box tap in striker?? Why is he still playing a striker-less formation??

And your Firmino and Jota comparison is lame cus Jota isn't even a striker..he is a midfielder who is being used as a CF because of his work rate....
At the end of the day, both Pep and Klopp team are scoring the most goals in the league, while other teams...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:45am On Oct 19, 2021
Truidstar:

So, as a coach if you’re given to pick from 1 striker on current form, you will choose osimehn ahead of hazard because he has a better work rate?? Lool omo I love these place sha. Ejuke is better than messi in my opinion. A player like ejuke defends, tracks back for his team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:45am On Oct 19, 2021
Danielnino00:

Pep wanted Haaland and Cr7 yen yen...did he get them? when the move failed, why didn't he go for another 18 yard box tap in striker?? Why is he still playing a striker-less formation??

And your Firmino and Jota comparison is lame cus Jota isn't even a striker..he is a midfielder who is being used as a CF because of his work rate....
At the end of the day, both Pep and Klopp team are scoring the most goals in the league, while other teams...

Pep wanted Haarland and Cr7 that's the point and for the fact that Jota who you regarded as a midfielder benched Firminho for a couple of games in the striker position shows that Klopp doesn't regard him that much. Now go and take a back seat
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Harry Kane work rate monster ?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2021
Chelsea and Man Utd fans will soon get tired of Lukaku and Ronaldo... It's only a matter of time..
Ronaldo in particular has been statistically rated as the worst presser in the premier league so far this season.... very limited impact off the ball... Just waiting in the box for a goalscoring opportunity...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2021
12large1:

So, as a coach if you’re given to pick from 1 striker on current form, you will choose osimehn ahead of hazard because he has a better work rate?? Lool omo I love these place sha. Ejuke is better than messi in my opinion. A player like ejuke defends, tracks back for his team

Leave this people Pep will pick Osimhen over Haaland based on work rate but they won't pick Simon Moses over Chukwueze based on workrate grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2021
Joezinho:
If haaland is a nigerian, they won't be having this biased and irritating argument. Double standards everywhere.
The traditional role of a striker is to score the majority of goals on behalf of the team. Has Osimhen performed better than haaland in terms of goals scored? The same pep is gonna pick haaland over Osimhen anytime anyday, twice a week.

More complete CF kor. Complete sports ni.
Moses Simon is overall better than messi he defends and tracks back and he also has 5 assist so far. We must continue spewing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:49am On Oct 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

If we are to go by all round game and everything a player offers isak is even better than Haaland

Moses Simon is overall a more complete player than messi after all, he tracks back and defends for his team better than messi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:49am On Oct 19, 2021
Subzero047:

Pep wanted Haarland and Cr7 that's the point and for the fact that Jota who you regarded as a midfielder benched Firminho for a couple of games in the striker position shows that Klopp doesn't regard him that much. Now go and take a back seat

Firmino was out injured for a couple of weeks... You didn't even know...

And Jota suffered a knock during the international break with Portugal and was rested as a precaution.. I bet you don't know that either.. just yammering about..

At the end, both Jota and Firmino aren't 18 yard box tap in strikers...they fit Klopp system perfectly..
So whatever argument you are building here is dead on arrival...

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50am On Oct 19, 2021
Subzero047:

Harry Kane is no work rate monster he has one of the least presses among forwards this season and like I said the fact that Guardiola is at the forefront of suitors for Haarland shows that he prefers winning above every other thing

Harry Kane has been one of the most improved players in the Premier League this season.

He has been known for scoring goals for much of his career and he is one of the most lethal strikers in the world.

However, the Englishman has gotten better at other things this season as well.

His number of assists has been hailed in this campaign, but one thing that isn’t talked about in his game well enough is his defensive contribution.

The England striker has also become a better player when helping the team to defend this season and Football Daily has recently posted about his defensive stats and they have got Spurs fans talking.

The post compares Kane’s defensive stats to that of Toby Alderweireld and Eric Dier and it appears that Kane beats them in some.

The striker has a better recovery rate that Alderweireld, he has won more duels than both players and he has made more interception than the Belgian.

https://theboyhotspur.com/so-much-more-than-a-striker-harry-kane-defensive-stats-blow-some-fans-away/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:51am On Oct 19, 2021
Please stop this. Harry Kane clearly has better workrate and is more well rounded than Giroud. Even their workrate heatmaps laugh at you. So stop this cheap referral to a lie that was gotten from someone's pit of uninformed gobbledygooks.

And if we rate Strikers by only who score pass then explain to us why Osimhen is still far more rated and will always be considered better than Simy and Onuachu who bagged more goals than he did last season.

Abeg rest. Kane's workrate and all round game >>>>> Giroud's

And Osimhen's workrate and all round game clearly trumps Häland's.

Simple point. Finito.

andrewbaba44:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:52am On Oct 19, 2021
12large1:

Moses Simon is overall a more complete player than messi after all, he tracks back and defends for his team better than messi

They will come and try to change this narrative for you as if that’s not the point they are bringing

They said I am sentimental now grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11403) (11404) (11405) (11406) (11407) (11408) (11409) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), kayburner, TheGoodJoe(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.