Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11419) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11679816 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11416) (11417) (11418) (11419) (11420) (11421) (11422) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:30am On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:
But you're conveniently forgetting what happened after Pep 'preferred' Gabriel over Aguero.

What does that have to do with the debate?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:34am On Oct 20, 2021
Because you said Pep wanted Jesus over Aguero without giving perspective as to why so. Plus your bold somehow suggests that Guardiola has always rated Gabriel over Kun.

TheGoodJoe:

What does that have to do with the debate?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36am On Oct 20, 2021
Napoleon55:
this haaland vs Osimhen debate is becoming unecessary .
It's better u make ur point y osimhen or haaland is better and end d debate for good.

the more u drag this argument,ur subconscious will begin to interprets it that u r against Osimhen,y u r actually not.
If there is game between norway and nigeria ,u will c urself wishing haaland outscores osimhen .
i'm very sure that almost everyone in this thread love Osimhen more than haaland ,but this kind of heated argument is capable of attracting resentments toward Osimhen or haaland .

haaland is better for now.that's a fact.
osimhen can become better tomorrow.that's the truth.
There is nothing wrong in accepting that.
There is nothing wrong in accepting that osimhen has a better attributes as a footballer either.

Only time will eventually tell who is really better,that's y all these arguments is premature and unecessary .

I wonder what the pain is about.

I bet everyone here who believes Osimhen has attributes that will make a coach prefer him accepts Haaland is a higher rated striker than Osimhen.

Haaland is a higher rated striker. That is not the problem.

The problem is those feeling pained that Osimhen has qualities that can make a coach choose him over Haaland. That is where the problem is.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:39am On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:
Because you said Pep wanted Jesus over Aguero without giving perspective as to why so. Plus your bold somehow suggests that Guardiola has always rated Gabriel over Kun.

Which why again?

Work rate and defensive contributions. Also, Gabriel Jesus is very comfortable on the wings and can play as a winger. So he suits Guardiola's player rotational movements during play.

So Guardiola preferred him to the best foreign attacker in the history of the Premier League.

Is Aguero rated higher that Gabriel Jesus? Yes.

Did he prefer a less rated striker due to the dimensions he can bring to the team? Yes.

So what is the problem?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 11:40am On Oct 20, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
A Shocker.... Rohr and the MF dept

Meanwhile, I have something to tell you all that might shock you.

I have had information from my Rohr communicados for a good while that Ovie Ejaria's switch and passport are done and dusted (although I still harbour personal doubts and for good reasons).

Now, I questioned my direct source to Rohr on why Ejaria hasn't been invited yet then since his switch is done. He told me, "Rohr is the one delaying Ejaria call-up because the lad's switch is actually done."

Those were his words.

I was shocked. I asked myself and then asked him...

"But Rohr knows and can see that we struggle to establish Ball playing dominance in the middle game. And a lad like Ejaria has good enough qualities to come in and function either in the AM or CM role and bring some much needed ball playing qualities.. so why would Rohr be delaying that?"

I even said I know Kelechi Nwakali and Alhassan Yusuf are much better Midfield dictators than Ejaria but Ejaria himself is gifted enough and a better ball playing Midfielder than several current SE MF options so why would Rohr be delaying bringing him in seeing that we have got little time before the Afcon kicks off?

Honestly, it is a mystery.

It is either Ejaria's passport is not yet ready despite the claim that it is... or could it be someone stopping Rohr from inviting him or could it be Rohr himself playing conservative and not acting fast to address our MF ball playing deficiencies.

Time will tell.

I Don tire for Rohr matter. Ike gwuru'm

Rohr is really toying with our world cup chances. He makes weak team look strong when playing Nigeria. Do we need to protest to the NFF as fans for Ejaria, Lookman, Nwakali, Alhassan and Amoo to be invited again? Only God knows the true story behind Olise opting for Algeria. On paper, we have all these guys but in reality, we are still struggling to qualify. We now celebrate 2-0 win when other teams whitewash their opponents. No thanks to Rohr

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 11:47am On Oct 20, 2021
humility33:

The naughty Equeavon is the head of technical committee... He doesn't even know what coaching entails same with the technical committee that approves the player lists without scrutinizing
that is how they went to disgrace their self with the carpenters dey took to America to play a friendly that caused detriment to our FIFA ranking bunch of nitwits
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:50am On Oct 20, 2021
Aguero at the beginning of Pep's era also lacked in this work rate and defensive contributions you are mentioning. However the arrival of Jesus made Kun improve his game to match Guardiola's expectations added to his goal scoring exploits.

Jesus on the other hand despite these positive attributes you mentioned which Pep likes hasn't pushed on.

How come Kun during this period played almost the same number of league games than the 'preferred' Gabriel?

How come despite the injury, loss of form and departure of Aguero the 'preferred' Gabriel is still finding it hard to tie down a starting Xl berth?

TheGoodJoe:

Which why again?

Work rate and defensive contributions. Also, Gabriel Jesus is very comfortable on the wings and can play as a winger. So he suits Guardiola's player rotational movement s during play.

So Guardiola preferred him to the best foreign attacker in the history of the Premier League.

Is Aguero rated higher that Gabriel Jesus? Yes.

Did he prefer a less rated striker due to the dimensions he can bring to the team? Yes.

So what is the problem?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 11:54am On Oct 20, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
A Shocker.... Rohr and the MF dept

Meanwhile, I have something to tell you all that might shock you.

I have had information from my Rohr communicados for a good while that Ovie Ejaria's switch and passport are done and dusted (although I still harbour personal doubts and for good reasons).

Now, I questioned my direct source to Rohr on why Ejaria hasn't been invited yet then since his switch is done. He told me, "Rohr is the one delaying Ejaria call-up because the lad's switch is actually done."

Those were his words.

I was shocked. I asked myself and then asked him...

"But Rohr knows and can see that we struggle to establish Ball playing dominance in the middle game. And a lad like Ejaria has good enough qualities to come in and function either in the AM or CM role and bring some much needed ball playing qualities.. so why would Rohr be delaying that?"

I even said I know Kelechi Nwakali and Alhassan Yusuf are much better Midfield dictators than Ejaria but Ejaria himself is gifted enough and a better ball playing Midfielder than several current SE MF options so why would Rohr be delaying bringing him in seeing that we have got little time before the Afcon kicks off?

Honestly, it is a mystery.

It is either Ejaria's passport is not yet ready despite the claim that it is... or could it be someone stopping Rohr from inviting him or could it be Rohr himself playing conservative and not acting fast to address our MF ball playing deficiencies.

Time will tell.

I Don tire for Rohr matter. Ike gwuru'm

I really don't know what is wrong with that man if this is true. I hope this man is not what I am thinking because a rational thinker knowing he has a midfield issue will explore available option. Na to carry placard for these men. Their wahala don too much

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:58am On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:
Aguero at the beginning of Pep's era also lacked in this work rate and defensive contributions you are mentioning. However the arrival of Jesus made Kun improve his game to match Guardiola's expectations added to his goal scoring exploits.

Jesus on the other hand despite these positive attributes you mentioned which Pep likes hasn't pushed on.

How come Kun during this period played more games than the 'preferred' Gabriel?

How come despite the injury, loss of form and departure of Aguero the 'preferred' Gabriel is still finding it hard to tie down a starting Xl berth?

They said pep prefer Jesus to aguero

But if we check aguero time under guardiola he has more game time than Jesus despite being an injury prone player grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:07pm On Oct 20, 2021
cheesy you prefer someone's food more than mine but every day you come to buy at my stall no be confusion be that?

andrewbaba44:

But if we check aguero time under guardiola he has more game time than Jesus despite being an injury prone player grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 12:10pm On Oct 20, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Plus more goals per season in the premier league. The highest Jesus ever scored was 14 in the league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:12pm On Oct 20, 2021
Karlovych:
Plus more goals per season in the premier league. The highest Jesus ever scored was 14 in the league

Make we no even go the goals side self Baba

Na only Aguero last season Jesus pass am and it’s because aguero was injured throughout the season ,he didn’t play more than 5 epl games self
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:13pm On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:
cheesy you prefer someone's food more than mine but every day you come to buy at my stall no be confusion be that?

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:

How come Kun during this period played more league games than the 'preferred' Gabriel?

So you agree Guardiola signed Gabriel Jesus because Aguero despite being lethal in front of goal and one of the greatest strikers in the history of the game.

So he chose to sign a small boy due to his work rate off the ball and benched an attacking legend.

Any thing after that is devoid of the point.

If Aguero improved work rate for game time proves my point. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:23pm On Oct 20, 2021
lol e don enter Zombie now? hahaha
Ppogbae:

Baba focus on making sure that the Oyinbo zombie wins the final two matches and qualifies this team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Make we no even go the goals side self Baba

Na only Aguero last season Jesus pass am and it’s because aguero was injured throughout the season ,he didn’t play more than 5 epl games self
Some arguments here can be very funny honestly and I hardly take them seriously.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:28pm On Oct 20, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Did you read this before typing?

How does the above deviate from

GUARDIOLA PREFERRED GABRIEL JESUS TO AGUERO.

Read it and tell me how it is different.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
Karlovych:
Some arguments here can be very funny honestly and I hardly take them seriously.

Especially from the goodjoe

He is intelligent with the way I see but sometimes with his type of arguement you will be asking yourself if he is watching back of tv or front of tv
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Did you read this before typing?

How does the above deviate from

GUARDIOLA PREFERRED GABRIEL JESUS TO AGUERO.

Read it and tell me how it is different.

How come aguero is getting the more game time every season grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

So you agree Guardiola signed Gabriel Jesus because Aguero despite being lethal in front of goal and one of the greatest strikers in the history of the game.

So he chose to sign a small boy due to his work rate off the ball and benched an attacking legend.

You also forgot to note that Aguero is way older than Jesus and could be a reason why Pep preferred a younger player. Rudi Voller preferred to take Gerald Asamoah to the world cup after 6 Bundesliga goals over those that scored more than him in the league like Martin Max and Michael Preetz who were in their 30s. A coach's preference doesn't change records or statistics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2021
It doesn't prove anything. Pep didn't initially fancy Aguero he thought Jesus would fit the bill the Brazilian largely didn't. Kun till injury and loss of form was still the top dog.

Checkout this scenario What you are trying to say is like when Pep sold Ibrahimovic to allow Messi thrive further in Barcelona. Instead of leaving Barca Zlatan stayed and even surpassed Lionel in goal scoring at the nou camp. Then Zlatan leaves but Messi is trying to break into the starting XI while we say Pep preferred Messi over one of the world's deadliest strikers because of work rate and defensive contribution grin

TheGoodJoe:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2021
Karlovych:

I challenge you to make a point.

Many of you just type things because you have no point to back up your statement. The points are clear even those trying to counter it are proving the point.

I ask, what is paining people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:31pm On Oct 20, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

TheSuperNerd submitted a full thesis breaking down attributes of Osimhen that can make a coach prefer him over a Goal Machine Haaland.

Yet you are posting goals. That is off the debate.
What kind of wuru wuru - to - the- answer kind of tricks is this? We are talking about objective criteria as to who is better than the other yet you keep going on and on talking about Gaudiola's personal preference and using it to sidestep the real issue.

I've taken Joebie's hint that one should let the music play on and therefore let the matter slide but what concerns me is the intellectual cunningness of your position.
Simple case: who is better than the other not who Gaudiola prefers based on specific attributes!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:32pm On Oct 20, 2021
chrisooblog:
It doesn't prove anything. Pep didn't initially fancy Aguero he thought Jesus would fit the bill the Brazilian largely didn't. Kun till injury and loss of form was still the top dog.

Checkout this scenario What you are trying to say is like when Pep sold Ibrahimovic to allow Messi thrive further in Barcelona. Instead of leaving Barca Zlatan stayed and even surpassed Lionel in goal scoring at the nou camp. Then Zlatan leaves but Messi is trying to break into the starting XI while we say Pep preferred Messi over one of the world's deadliest strikers because of work rate and defensive contribution grin

You proved the point here. Whether initially or previously or error, he believed Gabriel Jesus attributes over Aguero's goal machine abilities.

Finito.

What are you guys arguing facts?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:33pm On Oct 20, 2021
Mujtahida:

What kind of wuru wuru - to - the- answer kind of tricks is this? We are talking about objective criteria as to who is better than the other yet you keep going on and on talking about Gaudiola's personal preference and using it to sidestep the real issue.

I've taken Joebie's hint that one should let the music play on and therefore let the matter slide but what concerns me is the intellectual cunningness of your position.
Simple case: who is better than the other not who Gaudiola prefers based on specific attributes!

Joe Hart was magic for us. One of the best keepers I ever saw but Guardiola dropped him because he preferred a goalie with footwork attributes.

Simple point.

You guys will argue it with irrelevant points.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:34pm On Oct 20, 2021
solonnachi:

Rohr is really toying with our world cup chances. He makes weak team look strong when playing Nigeria. Do we need to protest to the NFF as fans for Ejaria, Lookman, Nwakali, Alhassan and Amoo to be invited again? Only God knows the true story behind Olise opting for Algeria. On paper, we have all these guys but in reality, we are still struggling to qualify. We now celebrate 2-0 win when other teams whitewash their opponents. No thanks to Rohr

The painful thing is not only Rohr that is incompetent but the whole bunch of NFF technical committee, Rohr assistants and the NFF presidents
The truth bro...Nigeria football is being managed by a group of blind men

I can't be a member of the technical committee and not fault that list or Rohr assistant and not advise him on how to bring more creativity to the midfield....

We're so used to blaming only the head in Nigeria, thats why some like Osibanjo is aspiring for presidency while his Boss government policy is busy messing up the country.... sometimes i wonder if this peeps dont understand that they share in the cluelessnes as well and not just the head or the man in charge
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:35pm On Oct 20, 2021
Mujtahida:

That is why I said you are arguing off point.

The point is coaching preference being a criteria for selection. You are saying sidestep.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36pm On Oct 20, 2021
Mujtahida:

We are talking of coaching preference due to attributes. Get the point.

We have said Haaland is rated higher. What else do you want? We should wear Haaland crown?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2021
Mujtahida:

We don burst their scope already Baba grin

Intelligent people full this thread sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:
that is how they went to disgrace their self with the carpenters dey took to America to play a friendly that caused detriment to our FIFA ranking bunch of nitwits
I tell u thats why i dont rate this indigenous coaches... they're bunch of cluelessnes aiming to thrive on sentiments to get National team coaching jobs. Most of them know nothinh about science of football and can barely buildup a team tactically if given the opportunity

I dont need a soothsayer to tell me that Equaveon might even be lobbying for Super Eagles No. 1 job as it is now should Rohr leaves or be ease out... him and Aigbogun

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:38pm On Oct 20, 2021
Karlovych:
You also forgot to note that Aguero is way older than Jesus and could be a reason why Pep preferred a younger player. Rudi Voller preferred to take Gerald Asamoah to the world cup after 6 Bundesliga goals over those that scored more than him in the league like Martin Max and Michael Preetz who were in their 30s. A coach's preference doesn't change records or statistics.

So what is the problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:38pm On Oct 20, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

We are talking of coaching preference due to attributes. Get the point.

We have said Haaland is rated higher. What else do you want? We should wear Haaland crown?
Your second paragraph puts an end to the debate. Finito

(1) (2) (3) ... (11416) (11417) (11418) (11419) (11420) (11421) (11422) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dijon, comodo, Philosopher1979, codemaniacs, Kog45(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.