Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,859 members, 7,862,818 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11521) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11943660 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11518) (11519) (11520) (11521) (11522) (11523) (11524) ... (16355) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:27am On Nov 03, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

2nd round of WC 2 times, Afcon title, Olympic gold ( don't forget the olympic team had 7 members of the team). As earlier pointed out, they were banned from the 96 and 98 afcon tournaments.
cheesy All matched in recent history Sir.

They played good football yes. But this "I miss the SE of old" as if they conquered the world is where I'm not getting it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:27am On Nov 03, 2021
Rohr hints at having Lookman and Ejaria at AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 12:35am On Nov 03, 2021
Odunayaw:
cheesy All matched in recent history Sir.

They played good football yes. But this "I miss the SE of old" as if they conquered the world is where I'm not getting it
When else did we make wc 2nd round back to back sir? When last did we win olympic gold? Besides Keshi when last did we win afcon or even come close? Like I said who knows the 94 to 98 team might have gone ahead to win 2 afcons but we may never know unfortunately. So to your question, they conquered Africa and were ranked top 5 in the world and many times in the top 20 sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:48am On Nov 03, 2021
cc12:
He scored on his debut against Egypt which was played in Asaba.

No. His first match was against Seychelles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:10am On Nov 03, 2021
Kog45:
He didn't Sir.

Paul Onuachu was extremely happy making his debut against Seychelles.

He scored in his second match which was against Egypt.

Onuachu presently has 15 appearances with 3 goals
He had a cameo against Seychelles his full debut was against Egypt you can't call a feeling out process a full debut

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:11am On Nov 03, 2021
forgiveness:

You don't know what a full debut means then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:12am On Nov 03, 2021
Mujtahida:

Shehu is dead wood. Once burned with fire but now nothing but ashes.
His first match was against Zambia not Algeria

Yes I was unsure about Algeria that's why I put it in brackets
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:14am On Nov 03, 2021
forgiveness:

Keep lying to yourself but you can’t change the fact on ground.

Na you dey confuse yourself oga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 3:40am On Nov 03, 2021
If only you guys would use the same amount of energy to speak against the constant invitations of Musa and Shehu who add very little to the team.
At least we know Ighalo can score goals grin

What does Musa offer? What does Shehu offer?
But we gotta have that quota system, don't we?

SMH

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 3:59am On Nov 03, 2021
solonnachi:
Rohr hints at having Lookman and Ejaria at AFCON

I guess Nwakali stopped being Nigerian. Na dem sabi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 4:28am On Nov 03, 2021
IDENNAA:

I guess Nwakali stopped being Nigerian. Na dem sabi

At least it's better than having Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa, onuachu and shehu Abdullah I in the team. At least they will bring value to the team.
I pray it works. Rohr is confused and so if he does something right by adding quality to our midfield and wings let us be happy.
If ademola lookman keeps Ahmed Musa out if the team and ejaria can add creativity to our midfield I will be happy.
At least it will be an improvement. Although it's funny waiting for their switch before quality can be added to the team when other home grown talent is there.
But Rohr is so dumb that taking this route could be the only way out.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:52am On Nov 03, 2021
AFCON 2022: Rohr hints at inclusion of Lookman and Ejaria in Super Eagles team
pulse.ng
Ademola Lookman and Ovie Ejaria may be included in the Super Eagles squad for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations.

Lookman
Lookman
The Super Eagles of Nigeria may soon get some reinforcements in attack with the introduction of Leicester City's Lookman and Reading's Ejaria.

Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr is already looking beyond the ongoing World Cup qualifying series and ahead to the difficult task of putting together a team for the 2022 AFCON, which will take place in Cameroon.

In an interview with Elegbete TV, the German manager revealed some new faces may be part of the team to Cameroon, despite not participating in AFCON Qualification.

Rohr hinted that midfielder Ejaria and winger Lookman have a chance of being included in the final team to the 2022 AFCON.

According to the 68-year-old, both Ejaria and Lookman, who have represented England at youth level, have expressed their desire to switch international allegiance.

The Nigeria Football Federation, led by Amaju Pinnick are working on it, and Rohr expects a resolution as soon as possible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 5:52am On Nov 03, 2021
Philosopher1979:

At least it's better than having Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa, onuachu and shehu Abdullah I in the team. At least they will bring value to the team.
I pray it works. Rohr is confused and so if he does something right by adding quality to our midfield and wings let us be happy.
If ademola lookman keeps Ahmed Musa out if the team and ejaria can add creativity to our midfield I will be happy.
At least it will be an improvement. Although it's funny waiting for their switch before quality can be added to the team when other home grown talent is there.
But Rohr is so dumb that taking this route could be the only way out.

You don’t know Rohr then.

Rohr that I know will take out Ejuke to bring in Lookman. He will tell you that having too many dribblers is not good for the team.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 6:18am On Nov 03, 2021
jihday:
so what do you want Rohr to do with dessers for example? Bench iheanacho or Osimhen or Awoniyi for him? I know we don’t like the coach but let’s be objective in our criticism

Kayode was not given a fair chance and for dessers he doesn't merit a call up now but then he was invited a full debut would have been enough to tell how good he is in the national team colours
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:22am On Nov 03, 2021
This is good
MetalJigsaw:
pulse.ng
Ademola Lookman and Ovie Ejaria may be included in the Super Eagles squad for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations.

Lookman
Lookman
The Super Eagles of Nigeria may soon get some reinforcements in attack with the introduction of Leicester City's Lookman and Reading's Ejaria.

Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr is already looking beyond the ongoing World Cup qualifying series and ahead to the difficult task of putting together a team for the 2022 AFCON, which will take place in Cameroon.

In an interview with Elegbete TV, the German manager revealed some new faces may be part of the team to Cameroon, despite not participating in AFCON Qualification.

Rohr hinted that midfielder Ejaria and winger Lookman have a chance of being included in the final team to the 2022 AFCON.

According to the 68-year-old, both Ejaria and Lookman, who have represented England at youth level, have expressed their desire to switch international allegiance.

The Nigeria Football Federation, led by Amaju Pinnick are working on it, and Rohr expects a resolution as soon as possible.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:41am On Nov 03, 2021
Mujtahida:

Our highest peak in world football. Italy escaped by the skin of their death. 94 set play with so much gusto and vitality. As them match enter field dem no send you. We played Argentina with Diego and we brushed them hard even though they won, we played Italy with Baggio and boy, them hear am. That's how to play. Westerhof really knew the naija spirit, the spirit that in the face of so much odds does not like to surrender and harnessed it to fashion a team that was like a javelin in the hands of a skilled warrior.
Rohr players will be matching into the field, you go dey fear. It's not the players it's the coach

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.”-- Alexander the Great
Do you want a transfer or cash? This your post sweet me for belle
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:07am On Nov 03, 2021
Subzero047:

He had a cameo against Seychelles his full debut was against Egypt you can't call a feeling out process a full debut
Good morning bro...honestly am hearing this for the first time.

Debut is a debut and citing Ronaldo,you should have known was one of those media hype surrounding star player.

Okay are you now saying Nwakaeme didn't have a full debut.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:13am On Nov 03, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
pulse.ng

Lookman
Lookman

I know if Taiwo Awoniyi was a foreign born playing in bundesliga with his performance this season,Rohr would have rolled out red carpet for him.

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:20am On Nov 03, 2021
humility33:

Kayode was not given a fair chance and for dessers he doesn't merit a call up now but then he was invited a full debut would have been enough to tell how good he is in the national team colours
Oga humility,let us be sincerely with ourselves,a debut match for any player is 50/50.

Hope you remember how Ndidi misfired against Zambia?but to me he is Nigeria number one player now,forget full debut,Dessers not getting call,you should have known baba,with Victor Osimehn,Paul Onuachu,Terem Moffi,Taiwo woniyi and now Odion Ighalo,not easy my man.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:23am On Nov 03, 2021
drDoom3:

You don’t know Rohr then.

Rohr that I know will take out Ejuke to bring in Lookman. He will tell you that having too many dribblers is not good for the team.
Baba barring injury Ejuke is making that team.

Moses Simon,Samuel Kali and Ahmed Musa should buckle up.

It's 28 man list now according to CAF

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:28am On Nov 03, 2021
Kog45:
Baba barring injury Ejuke is making that team.

Moses Simon,Samuel Kali and Ahmed Musa should buckle up.

It's 28 man list now according to CAF
Is 23 the previous number of invites?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2021
Ok
forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:33am On Nov 03, 2021
Clint02:
Is 23 the previous number of invites?
Afcon proper is now 28 man list against previous 23 man list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:35am On Nov 03, 2021
Kog45:
Afcon proper is now 28 man list against previous 23 man list.
Alright
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:02am On Nov 03, 2021
It seems to be a very tough decision.

Ighalo coming in is not bad and it will be unfair to drop Onuachu whose run of form has continued this season from where he stopped last season.

Probably, a panic decision due to the injury that stopped Osimhen from playing the last match.

It shows the coach doesn’t have confidence in the backup strikers on the bench.

Then my question is, why bring them to the team if you can not rely on them?

The coach has nothing to offer.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:10am On Nov 03, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
pulse.ng

Lookman
Lookman

Lookman and Ejaria would definitely add value to the team. He needs to drop two defenders from that squad to accommodate these two.

For those calling for the dropping of Musa and Shehu, Musa is team captain and his level of commitment is a plus for him. While Shehu might not be a master of a position, he is a utility player. You need such player in your team in case of crisis situations.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:20am On Nov 03, 2021
Icon4s:

Lookman and Ejaria would definitely add value to the team. He needs to drop two defenders from that squad to accommodate these two.

For those calling for the dropping of Musa and Shehu, Musa is team captain and his level of commitment is a plus for him. While Shehu might not be a master of a position, he is a utility player. You need such player in your team in case of crisis situations.
Chief Icon...Musa agreed but Shehu No No...Chiedozie Awaziem is doing it right now as utility player.

Chief I think you must have known why Rohr is keep on inviting the duo.

I know Super eagles politics wella but I don't want to go into that...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:23am On Nov 03, 2021
forgiveness:
It seems to be a very tough decision.

Ighalo coming in is not bad and it will be unfair to drop Onuachu who runs of form has continued this season from where he stopped last season.

Probably, a panic decision due to the injury that stopped Osimhen from playing the last match.

He shows, the coach doesn’t have confidence in the backup strikers on the bench.

Then my question is, why bring them to the team if you can not rely on them?

The coach has nothing to offer.
One thing I know for sure,bringing back Ighalo will caused dissatisfaction in the team and likely we are going to witness what happened prior to France 98.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:37am On Nov 03, 2021
Subzero047:

Stop grasping at straws. Look at your initial statement below.

Subzero047:
Onuachu scored in 3 minutes and won man of the match in his debut, Shehu Abdullahi won man of the match on his debut, Ezenwa made multiple saves against Cameroun (I think) on his debut even Idowu scored on his debut

Stop deceiving yourself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Parrot69: 8:37am On Nov 03, 2021
I don’t know how synergy in the Team camp would look like having Ighalo back, but I personally don’t think Rohr will coerce Oshimen to release the No.9 shirt for Ighalo.
It’s a tough decision to make though and I hope it doesn’t affect their relationship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:38am On Nov 03, 2021
Kog45:
Chief Icon...Musa agreed but Shehu No No...Chiedozie Awaziem is doing it right now as utility player.

Chief I think you must have known why Rohr is keep on inviting the duo.

I know Super eagles politics wella but I don't want to go into that...

Egbon, can Awaziem play as both DM and CM?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:39am On Nov 03, 2021
Kog45:
One thing I know for sure,bringing back Ighalo will caused dissatisfaction in the team and likely we are going to witness what happened prior to France 98.

Well, let us hope he adds some of our best players on the 28 man list.

As far as I am concerned, the National team selection is by Nigerians in the team and not Rohr.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11518) (11519) (11520) (11521) (11522) (11523) (11524) ... (16355) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, Hanibal(m), Joezinho and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.