Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,917 members, 7,863,216 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11622) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11945220 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11619) (11620) (11621) (11622) (11623) (11624) (11625) ... (16356) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:24am On Nov 14, 2021
jihday:
someone already did na, ‘Amunike is up there with Pep and Luis Enrique’

Just like I can say Xavi is up there tactically with Guardiola because he understands the mechanics and the workings of the system.

Guardiola still has the edge but these guys understand the system.

A bit of team goals from Xavi's Al Saad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNdtYevpZiI

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 12:29am On Nov 14, 2021
charlesemeka85:
take up responsibility of dribbling the 22 players on the pitch cheesy cheesy cheesy

Men he is right, we need creative players who can dribble and make creative passes.
IT IS VERY VERY OBVIOUS
WE NEED A FORWARD (MIDFIELDER, STRIKER JUST ANY TYpE OF FORWARD) THAT IS CREATIVE
THAT IS WHY pLAYERS LIKE sadiq umar, nwakali, alhassan yusuf, micheal olise etc
will remain relevant to us.
THE SKILL SET IS BADLY NEEDED.
IF I WAS ROHR I WILL LOOK FOR pLAYERS WITH THAT SKILL SET TO pLAY FOR US
EJUKE AND CHUKWUEZE CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONES.
WE NEED pLAYERS LIKE THIS ALL OVER.
HE SHOULD INVITE THEM AND LET THEM pLAY THE NONSENSE OR EXCELLENCE OR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO pLAY
TOLERATE THEIR NONSENSE AND BRING IN SENSE OUT OF IT.
WE NEED CREATIVE pLAYERS BADLY
SEE THE SENSE IN WHAT HE IS SAYING

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:32am On Nov 14, 2021
Ppogbae:

Remember when some moniker considered Iheanacho as a world class player grin

Finisher. Finisher. Finisher.

You guys miss points so easily and run thinking you know it.

Iheanacho's finishing is on another level. Give him good chances repeatedly and he finishes it in a mind blowing way.

Finisher.

"Kelechi is a natural goal-scorer. I knew about him before, but I’ve been really impressed with him since I arrived," Pep Guardiola.

"But he's (Iheanacho) a guy who, in the boxes, is really good. He likes to come a little bit out of the box to play, but arriving at the right tempo and attacking the first post is amazing. So, as a guy, he doesn't need many, many chances to score a goal."..Pep Guardiola.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:40am On Nov 14, 2021
Philosopher1979:

Men he is right, we need creative players who can dribble and make creative passes.
IT IS VERY VERY OBVIOUS
WE NEED A FORWARD (MIDFIELDER, STRIKER JUST ANY TYpE OF FORWARD) THAT IS CREATIVE
THAT IS WHY pLAYERS LIKE sadiq umar, nwakali, alhassan yusuf, micheal olise etc
will remain relevant to us.
THE SKILL SET IS BADLY NEEDED.
IF I WAS ROHR I WILL LOOK FOR pLAYERS WITH THAT SKILL SET TO pLAY FOR US
EJUKE AND CHUKWUEZE CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONES.
WE NEED pLAYERS LIKE THIS ALL OVER.
HE SHOULD INVITE THEM AND LET THEM pLAY THE NONSENSE OR EXCELLENCE OR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO pLAY
TOLERATE THEIR NONSENSE AND BRING IN SENSE OUT OF IT.
WE NEED CREATIVE pLAYERS BADLY
SEE THE SENSE IN WHAT HE IS SAYING

This is what happens when a coach lack the ideas and system to play creative players. He just leaves them out. Just like Mourinho finding Salah, De Bruyne, Mata, David Luiz and Lukaku excesses.

Just like Ole finding Van de Beek, Mata excesses.

They just don't know how to use them.

I agree with you we need a manager in the near future that can utilize the creative players we have.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:42am On Nov 14, 2021
Ppogbae:

Remember when some moniker considered Iheanacho as a world class player grin

That is not really a blunder, Iheanacho can be world class on his day

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:51am On Nov 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Just like I can say Xavi.is up there tactically with Guardiola because he understands the mechanics and the workings of the system.

Guardiola still has the edge but these guys understand the system.

A bit of team goals from Xavi's Al Saad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNdtYevpZiI

Sir I have a gift for you but e go deliver by month end grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:54am On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Motenengro did so well

Holland will still pick the automatic spot sha from their last game

Wrong. Holland are in the same predicament Tunisia are in.

Both Holland and Tunisia are playing their last games against the second best teams in their groups, Norway and Zambia. These teams fell out of form at some point in qualifying, then regained momentum and are out for blood. Norway and Zambia both need wins to qualify. The problem though is with the other best teams in their groups, Turkey and Equatoreal Guinea respectively. Both teams have relatively easy last games, making the pressure higher on the other teams. I predict Holland to scrape through, but Tunisia to draw with Zambia and get kicked out by Equatorial Guinea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:55am On Nov 14, 2021
He he he
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:07am On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:
The legend is back

Thegoodjoe what do you think grin

They are getting there. The clips from the training session of Barcelona for yesterday have been impressive.

Riqui Puig looks an early winner.

I like what I am seeing and I hope to catch the next Barcelona game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F8wPj0zz9I
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:09am On Nov 14, 2021
drDoom3:

Wrong. Holland are in the same predicament Tunisia are in.

Both Holland and Tunisia are playing their last games against the second best teams in their groups, Norway and Zambia. These teams fell out of form at some point in qualifying, then regained momentum and are out for blood. Norway and Zambia both need wins to qualify. The problem though is with the other best teams in their groups, Turkey and Equatoreal Guinea respectively. Both teams have relatively easy last games, making the pressure higher on the other teams. I predict Holland to scrape through, but Tunisia to draw with Zambia and get kicked out by Equatorial Guinea.

Well I feel they will both scale through
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CODMOK: 1:10am On Nov 14, 2021
charlesemeka85:
even uncapped lookman is better than all our current wingers

This is true until he makes his debut and you come here singing another song grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 2:01am On Nov 14, 2021
Kog45:
I rated Kanu highly club wise but in super eagles he lost it in 2006.

Kanu scored 20 goals in 143 apoearances for Portsmouth not 20 goals in a season.

I think it should be 12 goals that season, kanu was a very important player for the super eagles and can't be compared to Musa, go watch the match he played against South Korea at 2010 World cup

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 2:07am On Nov 14, 2021
jihday:
huh! Between 2006 and 2010 Kanu was barely starting games
But that doesn't mean he wasn't making impact when he comes on

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 2:09am On Nov 14, 2021
jihday:
Kanu and 20 goals in the same sentence? He wan steal am?
corrected.. He was Portsmouth highest goal scorer that season with 12 goals

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:55am On Nov 14, 2021
zicky:
I think it should be 12 goals that season, kanu was a very important player for the super eagles and can't be compared to Musa, go watch the match he played against South Korea at 2010 World cup
Kanu Nwankwo was sparingly used in 2010 world cup.

My man am not comparing but what am saying he doesn't have much to offer again after we failed to qualify for 2006 WC irrespective of his club form.

Sir you can't compare Kanu of super eagles 1996-2004 with Kanu of 2006-2010,hope you get my point....Good morning.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:59am On Nov 14, 2021
lloydtruth:
Now that Ahmed Musa has overtaken Joseph Yobo and Vincent Enyeama with highest appearance, can they now stop inviting him?

Chidera Ejuke is too amateurish with his style of play, I wonder why nobody talks to him about that.

Ndidi is supposed to be the player with the highest workrate but seems all he does is tackle and his job is done. (Next is walk around the pitch, hiding from the ball or pointing to another player that the ball should be passed to)

Simon is full of energy and muscle play, no end product, I wonder how he got up to 7 assists so far in his club.

Osihmen is good but needs to be more technical (I couldn't stop laughing when he shot that ball with all the muscles in the world, even if he scored that would have been a very ugly goal for a player of his profile. He should learn more technical ways of putting the ball past the goalkeeper without much stress)

Okoye, sometimes the way he catches the ball is so scary. Some catches that requires going with one hand he will go will two hands like a secondary school goalkeeper learner, thereby slowing his ability to stretch full length. (I wonder why the goalkeeper trainers haven't noticed)

Troost Ekong na wah oo, those days we use to say "calamity Yobo" I wonder what we will call Ekong's consistency in delivering errors after errors. Physically he looks like a bada$s, no nonsense defender but in reality he is the king of para (little charge from opponent he's already panicking)

Overall all Super Eagles players lack confidence on the ball, they lack idea and confidence of how to panetrate their opponent.

Even the coach is always scared to make changes. His changes are always not tactical, he lacks everything a coach should have and should find a ways to leave the team ASAP.
I said that Rohr lacks faith and it is affecting the players. Read this

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 5:03am On Nov 14, 2021
Kog45:
Sir,Carl Ikeme the man that sent highly rated Enyeama into retirement was better than Okoye in his age.

I followed Ikeme for years before joining eagles and I want to tell you that he was damn good.Stephen Keshi started the process to cap Carl before he was sacked.

Pls how old was Uzoho in 2018 world cup?
Sir, Ikeme didn't send Enyeama into retirement. Enyeama retired himself

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:07am On Nov 14, 2021
Philosopher1979:

Look, club form and national team form is not the same.
How the Super eagles play is the most important.
Result, style of play, victories.
What if we get to the semifinal of the world cup and win the nations cup
with Uzoho making a lot of saves for us.
Who will care about where he plays.
Westerhoofs managerial style works
Okay moses simon is our best winger since he plays so well in France.
also going by todays standards, Rashidi Yekeni is a third rate striker
since he was in the portuguese 2nd division.
In fact, the usa 94 team should not have beaten a star studed Bulgarian team
that had players in Barcelona and other teams in Europe since our players were mediocre by your standards.
You see getting a good club is a product of time. IN time Uzoho might get a better club.
There is even this adebayo guy in Israel
In fact, enyeama was in the Isreali league befor he moved to France.
Getting a good club is just advertisement and time.
These foreign born players have better agents thats all.
Wilfred Agbonivbare has kept in Spain before so there is nothing new in what Uzoho is doing
Rohr is just not an intelligent man and i dont blame him anymore
His iq is pedestrain or maybe low and it shows in the nonsense he is doing
Rashidi was not in the second division. In fact he was the top scorer in the Portuguese primera and his team setubal was 6th on the table for the 1993/94 season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:12am On Nov 14, 2021
charlesemeka85:
even uncapped lookman is better than all our current wingers

Rohr will still bench him for Simon,so what's the point?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:14am On Nov 14, 2021
femianski:

Sir, Ikeme didn't send Enyeama into retirement. Enyeama retired himself
Sir,Oiseh already made up his mind on Ikeme as his number one just like Vogts preferred Ejide over Enyeama.

Oliseh lack of managerial ability didn't let us see good rivalry between Carl Ikeme and Vincent Enyeama.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 5:26am On Nov 14, 2021
elunico:
Watching Ekong At the '16 Olympics, I had high hopes on him, thinking he was gonna turn out to be a solid defender. For someone with this much experience; having played at the Olympics, World Cup, and Afcon, it's really disappoining that he has refused to improve.

He never had it in him. Dont be confused by those early exuberance , he was not going to get better if he never had the talent.

Take Iwobi , for instance , "our midfield messiah" , has he improved ? What about agbalagba Moses Simon ? Even Ndidi never really lived up to all the enormous expectations we had in him. The problem is the coaching and tactics.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:31am On Nov 14, 2021
Philosopher1979:

Liar Liar Liar
In the 2006 nations cup when we played Senegal Kanu saved us when we came in.
I watched the match with my naked eyes.
Even in the 2008 nations cup he provided our creativity in midfield.
He made an assist for femi martins and took control of the midfield in that match
I insist after Okocha left it was kanu in our midfield between 2006 and 2010.
please stop telling lies
Good morning my Oga philosopher...it was my pure opinion on KANU activities in 2006-2010 in super eagles and if you have contrary view just passed it and I learn from it....pls stop calling me a liar here abeg on top football discourse...though a faceless forum but we should always respect one another here and our usage of words should always show that value.

Sir,pls enough of these use of uncouth words,it brings total disrespect .... am here to catch fun and get info from young ones here and share my old experience watching eagles since 1980.

Respect baba and God bless.

Okay check out my all time super eagles starting eleven with possible and probable.

My first eleven

1.Vincent Enyeama

2.Austin Eguavoen

3.Ben Iroha

4.Muda Lawal

5.Stephen Keshi

6.Uche Okechucwu

7.Segun Odegbami

8.Daniel Amokachie

9.Rasheed Yekini

10.Austin Okocha

11.Emma Amuneke

Second first eleven

1.Peter Rufai

2.Chidi Odiah

3.Celestina Babayaro

4.Sunday Oliseh

5.Christian Chuckwu

6.Taribo West

7.Finidi George

8.Samson Siasia

9.Thompson Usiyen

10.Henry Nwosu

11.Adokiye Aimeasemeka.

Did you see Kanu on my list cos Kanu club career was wide apart from super eagles career though two times AFOTY......5 Afcon 3 WC no single goal and 86 appearances with 13 goals.

Now my starting eleven on all time club career.

1.Vincent Enyeama.

2.Chidi Odiah

3.Celestine Babayaro

4.Wilfred Ndidi

5.Joseph Yobo

6.Taribo West

7.Finidi George

8.Kanu Nwankwo***superb.

9.Yakubu Aiyegbeni

10.Mikel Obi.

11.Emma Amuneke.

Now Nigeria all time world cup starting eleven.

1.Vincent Enyeama

2.Austin Eguavoen

3.Celestine Babayaro

4.Sunday Oliseh

5.Chidi Nwanu.

6.Uche Okechucwu

7.Ahmed Musa

8.Kalu Uche

9.Daniel Amokachie

10.Austin Okocha

11.Emma Amuneke.

My top 5 super eagles achiever

Mikel Obi...Afcon winner,champions league and Europa league

Kanu ....two times AFOTY and champions league

Finidi...champions league and Afcon winner

Yekini,AFOTY winner and. Afcon winner

Emma Amuneke,..AFOTY winner and Afcon winner

Ikpeba....AFOTY winner and Afcon winner.

..with this you will know why we do have different views here on this thread rating our players and it does not mean we hate any player.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:34am On Nov 14, 2021
Omanambala:

He never had it in him. Dont be confused by those early exuberance , he was not going to get better if he never had the talent.

Take Iwobi , for instance , "our midfield messiah" , has he improved ? What about agbalagba Moses Simon ? Even Ndidi never really lived up to all the enormous expectations we had in him. The problem is the coaching and tactics.
Good morning baba,with arrays of young players we have now,am really confused,pls what is the real issue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:58am On Nov 14, 2021
ChrisKels:
Awaziem is a no nonsense player, that is why I will always want him in this team, despite where he plays. I pray he goes back to a better league soon. Dude puts his body on the line more than everyone else. Dude na H.I.T material aswear, always ready for the rugged part of the game where the likes of Ndidi shy way
Even apart from that he's very good defensively, even more than balogun. opponents hardly get past him.

And he's versatile too. Lovely player!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 7:39am On Nov 14, 2021
I think Ejuke was given instructions not to dribble in yesterday’s game. Another evidence of Rohr’s conservative coaching. Coaching players out of their talents instead of coaching players on how to maximize their talents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:45am On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

So because he didn’t score our wingers are better grin
Dennis have the same goals contribution as him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:48am On Nov 14, 2021
drDoom3:
I think Ejuke was given instructions not to dribble in yesterday’s game. Another evidence of Rohr’s conservative coaching. Coaching players out of their talents instead of coaching players on how to maximize their talents.

Ejuke dribbled severally what are you talking about

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 7:57am On Nov 14, 2021
Ejuke isn't a midfielder, he a winger or inside forward.

Omanambala:
By the way , Ejuke is not a midfielder but maybe he will learn to play there with practice and time. Lol...midfield is more than dribbling ooh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:26am On Nov 14, 2021
Pinnick haters won't see this one

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:30am On Nov 14, 2021
Subzero047:

I don't get what is to praise here. I believe big moves are good for young players if they get to work with top managers and train daily with high-quality players. I believe this is the reason Foden and Kimmich matured at a fast rate in their plays and decision-making.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:32am On Nov 14, 2021
Subzero047:

They are not going anywhere indeed. Like if Pinnick had a plan for their development. They will stay in his father's house. As if he has right over the players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 8:39am On Nov 14, 2021
Subzero047:
They go abi they no go?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11619) (11620) (11621) (11622) (11623) (11624) (11625) ... (16356) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: MetalJigsaw(m), Goke7, kingphilip(m), Mujtahida, Koboko99(m), Lyster360(m), Kog45(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.