Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,571 members, 7,861,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:48 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11624) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11934201 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11621) (11622) (11623) (11624) (11625) (11626) (11627) ... (16344) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:59am On Nov 14, 2021
Subzero047:

You would have preferred they sit on the bench instead of playing at their developmental stages? How did that turn out for Nwakali and Awoniyi?

Why not tell us about Iheanacho how moving to a competitive Manchester City boosted his profile. Keep in mind, Nwakali and Awoniyi did not stay and train at the various clubs. If they did, they would have exploded.

The point is training and growing in a big club. Not getting bought by a big club and shipped on loan due to lack of work permit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:04am On Nov 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Why not tell us about Iheanacho how moving to a competitive Manchester City boosted his profile. Keep in mind, Nwakali and Awoniyi did not stay and train at the various clubs. If they did, they would have exploded.

The point is training and growing in a big club. Not getting bought by a big club and shipped on loan due to lack of work permit.

Soaking up d knowledge and tactical drills in thegoodjoe voice cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:19am On Nov 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Actually Awoniyi trained day in and day out at Liverpool , I saw him and talked with him. Technically speaking he was not outstanding and not rated highly .

Nwakali trained with Arsenal youth teams but once again wasn't outstanding.

Omeruah was relegated to training with U18 at Chelsea at one stage .

I wish I could take you round the English football elite academies. And you will be very surprised by at the level of the technical coaching that is put into 9/10 year olds . The days of kick and rush are completely over. Look at the level of technicality of young English players now is very different.

I think a lot of our boys are technically deficient on arrival at elite academies and have a lot of catching up to do. As a consequence are at a distinct disadvantage.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23am On Nov 14, 2021
Stormtrooper11:
Osimhen already seeing Tuesday's results cheesy

Mbok, I reject this. grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:26am On Nov 14, 2021
komekn:

Actually Awoniyi trained day in and day out at Liverpool , I saw him and talked with him. Technically speaking he was not outstanding and not rated highly .

I wish I could take you round the English football elite academies. And you will be very surprised by at the level of the technical coaching that is put into 9/10 year olds . The days of kick and rush are completely over. Look at the level of technicality of young English players now is very different.

I think a lot of our boys are technically deficient on arrival at elite academies and have a lot of catching up to do. As a consequence are at a distinct disadvantage.

With respect to development, a player gains more training with top teams than playing week in week out with weak teams. Do you agree?

By the way, are you saying Awoniyi was a team member for Liverpool for a season? Not training for a window or preseason. I mean part of the squad.

That is the point.

Phil Foden was part of the squad for over two seasons without reasonable playing time. Training under a top coach and with top players. Now he has exploded into a very top player. That is the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32am On Nov 14, 2021
elyte89:

Soaking up d knowledge and tactical drills in thegoodjoe voice cool

As always and I believe it passionately.

I believe Osimhen would have learned more and been more fierce today if he was part of Bayern Munich under Guardiola, training week in week out with Lewandowski. Even if he was not playing, with time, his knowledge would be far ahead. He will understand the training methods of top players and gain deep advice from them.

I believe Nacho's call to leave Manchester City was wrong. If he had stayed like Foden, by now he would have been high grade. Even if he left City, he would have been a great asset to any club that got him.

Guardiola said of Kelechi Iheanacho's positioning and killer instinct belies his age. “He has goals in him, which part of his game has never been in doubt."

We want him here and he knows it. He hasn’t been getting games as many would have expected but he is just 20-year-old,” Guardiola said.

“There are few players of his age in Europe at the moment who are playing for top teams in top league, but you have to give it to him, he’s positioning and goal scoring sense is rare to find among kids of his age.

Man City legend Toure has warned Iheanacho to keep showing his hunger for success so as to maintain his status as one of the future stars of the game.

“When you’re young like that, you have to show your hunger,” the midfielder told reporters after the game.

“What I tell him all the time, even on the training ground, [is] when you play like that you have to show up and I think today Monday was brilliant for him.”

Yaya Toure used all the time. You get elite players advicing you consistently. You can imagine what Cole Palmer is getting working with the likes of De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernado Silva, Rodri and co.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 11:51am On Nov 14, 2021
Subzero047:

Ejuke dribbled severally what are you talking about
that guy footwork reminds me of Ronaldinho..

Hw must attempt one flick or another once he touches the ball..lol

This kind of players are good to bring in when we re winning by 2 goals min margin..

Can't imagine when we re loosing and you re attempting those flicks..

Na swear fans go use finish you grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:54am On Nov 14, 2021
jihday:
we can’t keep changing goalkeeper, how many teams do you see change keepers at will
There is nothing wrong in changing a goalkeeper if he is not performing as expected. Leno is as good as Ramsdale but he still got benched by the championship goalkeeper. Uzoho was already warming up with and developing with the team before his injury. It was only expected that he regains his spot on his return since Okoye was not convincing. But Rohr knows best.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:55am On Nov 14, 2021
seankafor:
that guy footwork reminds me of Ronaldinho..

Hw must attempt one flick or another once he touches the ball..lol

This kind of players are good to bring in when we re winning by 2 goals min margin..

Can't imagine when we re loosing and you re attempting those flicks..

Na swear fans go use finish you grin

Any player that should be brought on when we are winning doesn’t look like an important player

Ejuke footwork remind you of Ronaldinho ke ,you sure say no be another Ronaldinho you watch grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
There is nothing wrong in changing a goalkeeper if he is not performing as expected. Leno is as good as Ramsdale but he still got benched by the championship goalkeeper. Uzoho was already warming up with and developing with the team before his injury. It was only expected that he regains his spot on his return since Okoye was not convincing. But Rohr knows best.

Normally Leno is better than ramsdale ,but as e looseguard dem bench am for ramsdale

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
Yann sommer was one of the top performer for Switzerland during Euro. .

Arsenal's defence couldn't contain leceister's forwards but Ramsdale was there to save them.

Can we count on Okoye to save the team at crucial times?

If na Ezenwa dey perform like Okoye, some people would be insulting him by now.
As jittery as Akpeyi is, I'm more comfortable with him than this Okoye.

Being in the Eredivisie team of the year as a GK is no cakewalk. The Eredivisie is the highest scoring league in world football.

Form is temporary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

Being in the Eredivisie team of the year as a GK is no cakewalk. The Eredivisie is the highest scoring league in world football.

Form is temporary.
You're right bro. I'm sure you'll also agree with me that NT is different from club footy. Moses Simon was bagging assists for his club steadily but he has been playing poorly for naija. Onuachu is a goal machine for his club but his form in GWG is not really that good when compared to his club form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by orriyomi33(m): 12:15pm On Nov 14, 2021
Zambia's Sakala scored a hattrick in their 4-0 win, Daka also scored.
When was the last time a Nigerian scored an hattrick in a qualifier or tournament?

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:15pm On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Normally Leno is better than ramsdale ,but as e looseguard dem bench am for ramsdale
Gbam!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:17pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
Gbam!

And ramsdale is now there to stay with his good performance

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2021
orriyomi33:
When was the last time a Nigerian scored an hattrick in a qualifier or tournament?

I think ighalo is the last player that scored hatrick and yet he won’t be respected here

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:23pm On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

And ramsdale is now there to stay with his good performance
Be like that guy dey sniff something sef . . .he took a goal kick during that leceister match and he threw a fist immediately after the ball left his leg.
His confidence, distribution, commands and Agbero charisma grin are part of what made him bench Leno.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:29pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
You're right bro. I'm sure you'll also agree with me that NT is different from club footy. Moses Simon was bagging assists for his club steadily but he has been playing poorly for naija. Onuachu is a goal machine for his club but his form in GWG is not really that good when compared to his club form.

Good. I'm also sure you realise that invitation is based on performance in club football. For a GK, game time is extremely important, and Okoye has enjoyed almost 10 times more minutes than Uzoho in a lower league.

Before Okoye came around, I remember almost everyone on this thread complaining of Uzoho's butter fingers.

And talking about national to club level transition: Simon had an efficient game against Liberia, he was disciplined at wingback.

Onuachu has given us goals whenever he is called, so why compare his 33 goals at club level to country.

Ndidi has also been off the boil for Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

It's good to see at least one person who still believes Leno is better than Ramsdale.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:42pm On Nov 14, 2021
Ppogbae:

Remember when some moniker considered Iheanacho as a world class player grin

You are easily absorbed in the evanescence of form, brother, don't be.

Once a player loses form it's not right to begin gloating then. Did you counter the "moniker's" claim immediately they made the word class suggestion, when Iheanacho was on fire.

Hazard, Aubameyang, Ozil are trash today, but are forever world class, because class is permanent.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:42pm On Nov 14, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

It's good to see at least one person who still believes Leno is better than Ramsdale.

Am I wrong ?

I rate ramsdale , but Na Leno cause everything
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by orriyomi33(m): 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
Be like that guy dey sniff something sef . . .he took a goal kick during that leceister match and he threw a fist immediately after the ball left his leg.
His confidence, distribution, commands and Agbero charisma grin are part of what made him bench Leno.
He was already celebrating his cleansheet before the end of that match.gringringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:48pm On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Am I wrong ?

100% agree.

He's just the scapegoat for Arsenal's failing.

Those that think Ramsdale is responsible for Arsenal's upturn in form should read this article.
https://clacified.com/sports/16/aaron-ramsdale-bernd-leno-england
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:52pm On Nov 14, 2021
Kog45:
Oga Subzero, I no get your message o cos we are still having young players going out to places like Moldova,Malta,Bulgaria....hope you remember that Taye Taiwo moved from Lobi star to Olympic Merseilles,Celestine Babayaro from Plateau utd to Anderlecht,James Obiorah from Enyimba to Anderlecht,Finidi George from Calabar Rover to Ajax,Kanu from Iwuayanwu Nationale to Ajax,Taribo West to Auxerre abi na Pinnick be NFF boss at this periods.
I have to ask tho. Is it that we had quality coaches then or the standard of football hasn't risen this much or these guys were just too talented
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:54pm On Nov 14, 2021
komekn:

I thought a player without work permit cannot train in England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:58pm On Nov 14, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

Good. I'm also sure you realise that invitation is based on performance in club football. For a GK, game time is extremely important, and Okoye has enjoyed almost 10 times more minutes than Uzoho in a lower league.

Before Okoye came around, I remember almost everyone on this thread complaining of Uzoho's butter fingers.

And talking about national to club level transition: Simon had an efficient game against Liberia, he was disciplined at wingback.

Onuachu has given us goals whenever he is called, so why compare his 33 goals at club level to country.

Ndidi has also been off the boil for Nigeria.
You've got great facts. Now, let me ask. .despite his club form and game time, how has he not give us any good performance? I expect him to be better and more convincing by now. I have nothing against him but dude needs to step up. Uzoho was great for us during the last world cup despite his age and lack of exposure.

As for moses and Onuachu, I still insist both have not really showed their club form in GWG

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2021
orriyomi33:
He was already celebrating his cleansheet before the end of that match.gringringrin
grin grin grin
I just like that guy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2021
orriyomi33:
Osimhen would have scored a hatrick yesterday if not more. Rather than placing he goes for power (shoot). He should learn to place the ball more than he shoots.

Too much power to hit the ball definitely sends the ball to the skies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Am I wrong ?

You're right. Leno messed up. His mistakes at the back, taking time to pass out from the back, passing to the wrong player, decision making, lack of commands and quietness made him lose the starting spot to Rammy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:09pm On Nov 14, 2021
nelszx:

Osimhen would have scored a hatrick yesterday if not more. Rather than placing he goes for power (shoot). He should learn to place the ball more than he shoots.

Too much power to hit the ball definitely sends the ball to the skies.

Osimhen should have scored an hatrick how ?

You should be saying this only when he got a brace and missed a sitter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 1:17pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
You've got great facts. Now, let me ask. .despite his club form and game time, how has he not give us any good performance? I expect him to be better and more convincing by now. I have nothing against him but dude needs to step up. Uzoho was great for us during the last world cup despite his age and lack of exposure.

As for moses and Onuachu, I still insist both have not really showed their club form in GWG

The fact you can only draw on the world cup 2018 is testament of not facing the status quo.

Using your module:
Since Etebo was our best player then, no midfielder should bench him today,regardless of his club form.
Ahmed Musa was our top scorer, so no winger should start ahead of him, regardless of club form.

Do you realise that one year after his World Cup heroics, he was benched for Akpeyi at AFCON?

Nothing against Uzoho but Okoye's club form has justified his inclusion.

And then you say not give us any good performance. Man is unbeaten with Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
mostob:
So has Maduka been poor?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11621) (11622) (11623) (11624) (11625) (11626) (11627) ... (16344) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Diavolo, elyte89, daveP(m), Marjoribanks, Toylove, Nomyth, Mybettingtips(m), sapoyoro(m), solonnachi, hstar, Napoleon55(m), Joebie and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.