Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,709 members, 7,862,239 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11724) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11939124 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11721) (11722) (11723) (11724) (11725) (11726) (11727) ... (16349) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:14am On Nov 22, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

Very important points here, brother, but I think you need to put this into perspective.

Osimhen is just one player here, and the possibility of a nation like Nigeria defeating minnows like Cape Verde shouldn't rest on the shoulders of one player.

He is undoubtedly our most productive player, but Osimhen was present the full 90 when we couldn't break down Benin (similar opponent with Verde) at their fortress, and required a last minute Onuachu winner.

This shows that tactical prowess of the coach, not individual brilliance is the key to unlocking opponents.

Therefore if Nigeria suddenly becomes toothless in the absence of a single player, they have no business at the World Cup. Denmark going the distance without Eriksen is testament to this, as the coach tweaked their formation to suit the team.

Secondly, no African country has the striking depth that Nigeria enjoys. For goodness sake, Onuachu was one of the world's highest goal scorers last season, while Terem Moffi, Simy and Umar Sadiq entered double figures in three different championships.

Is it until Osimhen is injured, that you work out a Plan B?

Thirdly, not inviting Osimhen for this does him more good than harm. The player is yet to settle in the Serie A yet, and can't risk adding an injury or covid-19 infection/isolation to his ban.

In the end, I admit that three games is a lot for a player of Osimhen's quality to miss, especially if the English based and Chukwueze aren't around.

But please, it should be a shame that at the brink of our golden generation, we are overly reliant on one player to get past lowly teams.

The deed is done.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 8:15am On Nov 22, 2021
I hope Osimhen's injury is not too serious. The eye socket looks depressed, just looking at his face and him covering that part of the face while walking out of the field.

Osimhen continues to get these kind of injuries that result from his aggressive style of play. He needs to calm down a little with his high energy. Serie A is a league likened to UFC sport...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:49am On Nov 22, 2021
Joezinho:
I hope Osimhen's injury is not too serious. The eye socket looks depressed, just looking at his face and him covering that part of the face while walking out of the field.

Osimhen continues to get these kind of injuries that result from his aggressive style of play. He needs to calm down a little with his high energy. Serie A is a league likened to UFC sport...

It can happen to anybody. Raul Jimenez is not an high energy player and he still had an head injury. Even Taiwo Awoniyi suffered something similar some years back. This is sadly part of the game.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Donmobi(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2021
Nawa for that Payet ooh
The guy just dey collect bottle for head.
God help French football ooh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Donmobi(m): 9:01am On Nov 22, 2021
Meanwhile Emmanuel Dennis makes BBC's Garth crooks team of the week.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 9:24am On Nov 22, 2021
Joebie:
Krstajic, interview with FIFA:

You have been the coach since 2017. What did you change?
I am aware that I am a young coach and that experience will come with age. The essence of my coaching philosophy is that I like attacking football - football where we play to score, and I will press for it whenever we have a possibility for it. But, of course, that is not possible all the time. One has to take into account many things: the quality of the opponents’ team, players they have at their disposal and so on.
This guy is pragmatic, this is the kind of coach I like unlike thegoodjoe's who is all about attack irrespective of opposition's strength. Even his idol, Pep, spent billions to get a superior team to always play his attacking football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:24am On Nov 22, 2021
Neobulletzz:

I didn’t watch the match but going by your argument, it seems the ball was goal bound. If it was goal bound then he is lucky to even get a yellow. Whether he was trying to remove his hand or not does not change the fact that his hand touched the ball so why should it not be called? Because he was trying to remove his hand

Goal bound shots hits players bodies no be today, where yellow card comes in is if the player is deliberately making an attempt to stop the shot, in Koulibaly's case he is making an attempt to remove his body from the shot so like I said the yellow card is ridiculous and Koulibally himself was confused
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:26am On Nov 22, 2021
nelszx:

New coach syndrome I guess. Playing some players off position. Aribo was among the front 3

Aribo was Rangers best player in that game and fans were enraged that he was taken off
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:27am On Nov 22, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

Afene-gyan just scored a wonder second goal, the last kick of the game. Roma 2-0 Genoa. Did I mention he was a 75th minute sub?

First player born in 2003 to score in Serie A. Ghana are eating good.

Ghana's golden generation is coming up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:39am On Nov 22, 2021
Everyone is so enthusiastic about us hiring a foreign manager when our football administrators ineptitude hasn’t been rectified. For me, if we’re going to hire a foreign coach, we also need foreign Football administrators because someone needs to be held accountable for the maladministrations that our football has witnessed recently. Examples of bad football administrators doing
1) Unpaid Coaches salaries
2) Lack of Quality pitches

If we’re not going to hire new Foreign administrators, it is better to just invest in Local coaches and as Nigerians, it’s our duty to promote, uplift, celebrate and advertise our own to the world. Subsequently, they should be encouraged like their foreign counterparts are supported.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 9:57am On Nov 22, 2021
It seems Emmanuel Dennis is playing football with his real age.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 10:03am On Nov 22, 2021
drDoom3:

Can we afford Pizzi? This is a former Saudi Arabia coach o.

NFF that struggles to pay salaries.

The only way we can bring in someone like Pizzi is if an independent non-government owned organization is contracted to pay his salaries. Else, it won't work.

He's also not convincing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:
currently am not sure any of them have partnership with the nff and they can only do that out of their willingness which I dout makes any financial sense to them as a business man paying such huge amount out of your pocket without no viable way of recouping your money wink

they can, not just one, but 2 or 3 of them can partner the Nff togather
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:41am On Nov 22, 2021
Isahalbash:

He's also not convincing.

he is, he was the same coach that leads Chile to Defeat argentina in Cops American 2016, going on to finish 2nd place next year in FIFA confederations Cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:45am On Nov 22, 2021
Joezinho:

bros forget about aggressive style of play, Seria A nah badass league, you don forget, maldini, gettuso, and their likes,

you don even ask wetin dey that guy head, well make Victor face start to swell, like na sledgehammer them use nack am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 10:54am On Nov 22, 2021
do4luv14:

bros forget about aggressive style of play, Seria A nah badass league, you don forget, maldini, gettuso, and their likes,

you don even ask wetin dey that guy head, well make Victor face start to swell, like na sledgehammer them use nack am

Lol. You funny bros. I nor wan laugh abeg.

I pray he gets well soon. After his collision with Chanalogou in the first half , the way he took perisic to the cleaners and his involvement in the first goal i knew Victor is gonna be targeted.. He plays so hard..

Ko ni da fun inter defenders. Oloriburuku dem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 10:55am On Nov 22, 2021
do4luv14:

they can, not just one, but 2 or 3 of them can partner the Nff togather
hopefully nff makes a nice and suitable approach to them all and it will be nice for all of them partnering our football wink but I don't trust does rogues in the glass house grin cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 10:55am On Nov 22, 2021
do4luv14:

he is, he was the same coach that leads Chile to Defeat argentina in Cops American 2016, going on to finish 2nd place next year in FIFA confederations Cup

And failed to qualified Chile to the world cup in Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 10:58am On Nov 22, 2021
Isahalbash:

doesn't matter bro he his a serial winner and every coach always have a down side that leads to sacking but most good coaches have better day's ahead of their down time's and pizzi is an upgrade to both rorh and amunike wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04am On Nov 22, 2021
5inchdick:

This guy is pragmatic, this is the kind of coach I like unlike thegoodjoe's who is all about attack irrespective of opposition's strength. Even his idol, Pep, spent billions to get a superior team to always play his attacking football.

What are you saying?

grin grin grin

The philosophy is to attack simple. He did not say he will park bus because of tough oppositions but knows he can not attack all the time. This is simple logic.

Some teams are Superior in quality. If you like be the best attacking coach, if you meet Manchester City, it is difficult to see the ball. That does not mean the coach abandoned his philosophy.

That is the point the manager made and is no way different from my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:08am On Nov 22, 2021
cc12:
It seems Emmanuel Dennis is playing football with his real age.

Kwara Football Academy used to be run by Westerhof. It was the academy that attracted Mourinho to visit Nigeria and the academy. Glad they are still producing quality players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:22am On Nov 22, 2021
nelszx:

That's if the NFF can afford him.

He won't come cheap like Rohr.
Rohr isn’t as cheap as you think, in a ranking done late last year he was number 21 in earnings by NT coaches

https://sportscriber.com/money/football-national-team-coaches-salary/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:23am On Nov 22, 2021
SoftBrest:
Osimhen has suffered from multiple fracture on his face and will undergo surgery
He will be out till 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:42am On Nov 22, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:
hopefully nff makes a nice and suitable approach to them all and it will be nice for all of them partnering our football wink but I don't trust does rogues in the glass house grin cheesy grin

yeah, but the first assignment, which vested the payment of Rohr salaries on Ailto, before the coming of Dare, should be adapted, that way, those rogues won't see a dime to pocked

secondly, it simple, but it will have to involve the sport ministry, which might spoil the deal tho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:43am On Nov 22, 2021
chrisooblog:
When you have been given a license for anything it means you have gone through the necessary evaluations and have been found qualified to practice in the field you have been given a license for.

Southgate wasn't appointed to coach England without a license so that's false.

If you meant middlesborough be clear next time and don't try to hide under ambiguity

Coaching badges are not an academic qualification they are simply an assessment of basic competence not ability or capacity. It's literally a tick box exercise.

My reference is Football management and Manager, there is no ambiguity. National or league team they are all football managers and they complement each other and are not seen in Isolation.

Gareth was appointed manager of Middlesbrough without any coaching badges. The badges were done after the event. And following that he met the official requirements to be England manager. Anchored on his performances as Middlesbrough fc not his football coaching badges.

How many people in Nigeria have actually done a driving test before bring issued a driving licence. Yet we still have some very excellent drivers.

I got my driving licence in Nigeria " No Test" as a teenager even then l had been driving for a 2/ 3 years.

When I returned back to England with my Nigerian drivers licence " no test" I took my UK driving test with one lesson and passed. The instructor said to me quite clearly you are clearly an excellent experienced driver and this test is a formality.

The term apprenticeship comes to mind learning by practice and association. Someone who has been at an elite football academy from the age of 6/7 then goes on to the first team then trains and works with some of the best manager's and facilities in the world for decade's.

In my opinion, 100% will know far more and have a better understanding of modern football than any coach who completed his badges in Nigeria and has been coaching Warri wolves and Enugu Ranger's ,etc for the past decades.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:44am On Nov 22, 2021
Isahalbash:

come again, or is that all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:54am On Nov 22, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:
Just seen the Osimhen news. Close sources say he will be out for one month. But there's no way Napoli will release him for AFCON immediately after.

Abi Napoli dey mad?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 22, 2021
Rorh sacked… Amunike boys go soon hijack this thread tongue

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 12:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:
doesn't matter bro he his a serial winner and every coach always have a down side that leads to sacking but most good coaches have better day's ahead of their down time's and pizzi is an upgrade to both rorh and amunike wink

Check for yourself.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:

Failed to qualified Valencia to Euro for the first time after 16years in 2014 or socheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2021
zuchyblink:
challenge it with facts don't be shallow

I still maintain that the 'best teams' always find their way in the world of football. Your conclusion that our inability to include enough NPFL players is the reason we are struggling is a fallacy. Or maybe you are just cherry-picking to suit your narrative.

Let's go to the 3 last world cups... Yes! I know you'd be glad. The last 3 teams that lifted the world cup has the majority of their team playing in the local league - France, Germany, and Spain. Using just the winner to prove a point is lopsided to me. Extending it to the semi-final seems more balanced.

The last 3 semifinals are;

2018:
France *
Croatia
Belgium
England*

2014:
Germany*
Argentina
Brazil
Holland*

2010:
Spain*
Holland*
Germany*
Uruguay

Ps : (* ) indicates teams with a majority of its players from local clubs.

Looking at the above, it appears that that selects its players from local clubs does the magic. Now, that's FALLACY because it happens both ways. Maybe, we don't acknowledge 'both ways' because of the human nature of selective bias.

Permit me to equate this to what's easily obtainable in our daily lives; e.g. Praying before a football match or praying while on transit. We always assume that the prayer was the reason we won and also the reason we had no accident. NO!

The reason they are doing well is that they have better players, players that are ready to fight with a good coach. 'Where' they are playing is largely immaterial.

Let's give another few examples....

In 2010 worldcup, France had much more (14) local players than they had in 2018 (9).

England are always known to have more than 80% (this is my figure) of their players in local league and yet, the highest they have gone is semi-final in 2018.

Russia had 23 of their player playing in local league but failed to qualify from group stage in 2014

Spain had majority of their players in local league in 2014 worldcup but didn't make it out of group stage.

In 2018, Italy didn't qualify for worldcup with majority of their players in Serie A

I can go on and on and on......

Like I said, unless we are just cherry-picking to suit us, your assertion is a mere fallacy.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2021
Pedri of Barcelona has won the golden boy award finishing 199 points ahead of Jude Bellingham

I still want a Nigerian kid to win this award some day

(1) (2) (3) ... (11721) (11722) (11723) (11724) (11725) (11726) (11727) ... (16349) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ekehopp2, quickberry(m), dijon, Yachambliss(m), Zonofman(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.