Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12039) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11696928 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12036) (12037) (12038) (12039) (12040) (12041) (12042) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:59am On Jan 02, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Ola Aina's assist to ighalo against Rwanda. That's all there is to say

Ah yes Rwanda Man grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:07am On Jan 02, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Ola Aina's assist to ighalo against Rwanda. That's all there is to say
Burundi. Or the assist to Osimhen in the 4-2 victory over Lesotho

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:10am On Jan 02, 2022
Joebie:
Listen to Busayo Saka:

'But I’ve seen the process of how England are transforming and I think in the future they’re going to do great stuff. I feel like it was right for me to choose England.

Several months after he said this England got to the final of the Euros.

I no blame any foreign born when turn down Nigeria.

what do you expect him to say? Even Iwobi or Aina will never express regret for choosing us over England

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:15am On Jan 02, 2022
fabyom:
Why do you always compare country to clubs? Who selected Ghana's coach? The technical director is the current coach and Pinnick seeking advice from reputable coaches is never a bad idea!!
I think the goodjoe isn’t entirely wrong, Austin should have a say in who will be appointed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 10:21am On Jan 02, 2022
Ola Aina is better than Zaidu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 10:26am On Jan 02, 2022
jihday:
I think the goodjoe isn’t entirely wrong, Austin should have a say in who will be appointed
The technical department of the FA should be the strongest department in any organization. It should be the brain box but in Nigeria, it is the weakest department contributing nothing. I doubt they are even funded at all.
I haven't heard of the technical department organizing coaching clinics for grassroot coaches. Eguavoen was talking about SIT which is a mere academic thought, his department is not coordinating the local grassroot coaches to train them to coach these players in the vision of the FA.
They should be going to league venues, both NNL and NPFL to access matches and bring up policies to see the growth of the the game in the country.
For instance, you notice the goalkeepers in Nigeria league always start wasting time from the first minute. This act is killing the league, making our game play painfully slow and this is reflected even in the Super Eagles where they are slow to come out of the blocks.

And yes, the Technical department should be scouting for coaches for the various national teams. Not Amaju Pinic.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 10:28am On Jan 02, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Come on Seyi. It is your job to provide answers to those questions as the Technical Director. You should have accepted the job and designed a road map for the country.

I think the underlying answer Seyi was looking for is the big picture of Nigerian football. The Nigerian football federation has no vision, it has no long or short term plan. We for the most part only prepare for tournaments. Anyone who knows his onions avoids settings like that. The last few years has been terrible cause we got a lot of PR with little development. Save the super eagles every other aspect of our football has gone down the drain. From age grade competition and the entirety of women football.

No matter how technically sound Seyi his, a setting like th NFF will make him look incompetent. The vision of the association for football should ideally fork the day to day framework for the technical team. That's why the appointment of the new coach is laughable. He's coming to do what exactly? What are his KPIs? He was smart to refuse the offer

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 10:33am On Jan 02, 2022
Barryseal:

The technical department of the FA should be the strongest department in any organization. It should be the brain box but in Nigeria, it is the weakest department contributing nothing. I doubt they are even funded at all.
I haven't heard of the technical department organizing coaching clinics for grassroot coaches. Eguavoen was talking about SIT which is a mere academic thought, his department is not coordinating the local grassroot coaches to train them to coach these players in the vision of the FA.
They should be going to league venues, both NNL and NPFL to access matches and bring up policies to see the growth of the the game in the country.
For instance, you notice the goalkeepers in Nigeria league always start wasting time from the first minute. This act is killing the league, making our game play painfully slow and this is reflected even in the Super Eagles where they are slow to come out of the blocks.

And yes, the Technical department should be scouting for coaches for the various national teams. Not Amaju Pinic.

Amaju is a big problem no doubt, but so are those with the job who by their passiveness have enabled him. Most of the persons on the technical committee are ex footballers. Can't they refuse to be treated this way and release statements each time the FA president dies their job? They other day, respected journalist Paul Bassey who is also a member of the technical committee said they don't know the details of Rohrs contract. Why then are they there? Adepoju also recently said he wasn't privy to a recent decision. Can't they all mass resign in protest? Or at least do something.

Amaju has done a lot of harm, but those around him enabling him by their actions of inactions are also complicit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 10:41am On Jan 02, 2022
lovewins:

Amaju is a big problem no doubt, but so are those with the job who by their passiveness have enabled him. Most of the persons on the technical committee are ex footballers. Can't they refuse to be treated this way and release statements each time the FA president dies their job? They other day, respected journalist Paul Bassey who is also a member of the technical committee said they don't know the details of Rohrs contract. Why then are they there? Adepoju also recently said he wasn't privy to a recent decision. Can't they all mass resign in protest? Or at least do something.

Amaju has done a lot of harm, but those around him enabling him by their actions of inactions are also complicit
Amaju is an over bearing character. He is a dominant personality and his role in FIFA and CAf has emboldened him so much that he seems larger than life.
The Sports minister is the only person who can whip him in line. The whole thing exposes the institutional weakness of the FA and this lack of direction from a strong technical department is the reason why none of our national teams will do well, male or female in any age group.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:55am On Jan 02, 2022
Joebie:
Listen to Busayo Saka:

'But I’ve seen the process of how England are transforming and I think in the future they’re going to do great stuff. I feel like it was right for me to choose England.

Several months after he said this England got to the final of the Euros.

I no blame any foreign born when turn down Nigeria.

Wetin he for talk after choosing England?

England got to the finals of the Euros, what now happened? Dem win am?

What does England getting to Euros finals have to do with foreign borns turning down Nigeria? Abi na finals of continental competition Nigeria never reach before?

Akanji no dey Switzerland? Why you no quote am too, as example of foreign born that went to another country? Why you also never quote Tammy Abraham or Tomori? Or are they not also foreign borns that turned down Nigeria?

Wetin come concern us with Saka and England in Euros finals?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 11:05am On Jan 02, 2022
yinkeys:
Ola Aina is better than Zaidu

You guys should stop this place

Ola is better than Zaidu in which areas...better you say the aspect one trump the other instead of the vague word you put up there. There are areas Zaidu seems better than Aina and there are areas Aina proves better

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:07am On Jan 02, 2022
humility33:

Ola is better than Zaidu in which areas...better you say the aspect one trump the other instead of the vague word you put up there. There are areas Zaidu seems better than Aina and there are areas Aina proves better

zaidu panics alot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2022
Even at Chelsea thread people see something wrong in shehu abdulahi making the team at first ,but someone here was saying we don’t like the guy because he was playing at Cyprus ,ask yourself what does that guy offers that others RB can’t ?

It’s the way nobody is talking about omeruo like it’s his birth right to always make the super eagles squad grin

My afcon line up and formation below 4-2-3-1
GK: Maduka

RB-Ola Aina CB-Ekong CB-Balogun LB- Sanusi

Onyeka. Ndidi

RW: Chukwueze AM: Joe Aribo LW: Ejuke

CF: Taiwo Awoniyi

Awaziem or ajayi can come in for any of the CB as I have no problem with that

Iheanacho or iwobi can come in for Aribo ,iheanacho can also come in for the CF and even iwobi can come in for the wingers

Sadiq umar and ighalo are also good options from the bench ,not as starters for me

If sanusi and aina are failing with their job ,we still have Ebuehi and Collins ,Collins is not that bad as people here thinks

I don’t know what I will do with Ahmed musa Moses Simon or onyekuru ,any of them might just surprise me but as a coach none of these players will come into the field till the 80th minutes of the game

I don’t have much to say about nwakali ,maybe he can come in for onyeka later in the game

I am going with Maduka since he is playing in a better league and he is regular ,I don’t really trust him though and I don’t think uzoho has played much this season

This is my opinion and I believe this is 80 percent our best line up ,I know the coach will be different sha .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2022
humility33:

You are right .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:17am On Jan 02, 2022
charlesemeka85:
zaidu panics alot
And Aina tends to loss concentration during games..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 11:23am On Jan 02, 2022
humility33:

Only Speed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:31am On Jan 02, 2022
lovewins:

I think the underlying answer Seyi was looking for is the big picture of Nigerian football. The Nigerian football federation has no vision, it has no long or short term plan. We for the most part only prepare for tournaments. Anyone who knows his onions avoids settings like that. The last few years has been terrible cause we got a lot of PR with little development. Save the super eagles every other aspect of our football has gone down the drain. From age grade competition and the entirety of women football.

No matter how technically sound Seyi his, a setting like th NFF will make him look incompetent. The vision of the association for football should ideally fork the day to day framework for the technical team. That's why the appointment of the new coach is laughable. He's coming to do what exactly? What are his KPIs? He was smart to refuse the offer

That is the job of the Technical Director. He should come in and try to develop a blueprint. To some extent push it. That is how we can achieve our aim. If Maigari and his team did not have a vision, we would not be where we are.

We can criticize the system as much as we want or we try to do something about it. Turning down a chance to bring in Technical input to the NFF to me is wrong. If he laid down a structure and proposed it for Pinnick to abide by, there are things Pinnick might not miss.

I understand the challenges dealing with the Nigerian sphere but sometimes we make input to improve the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2022
Oasis001:

.... and Eguavoen that accepts the job, what are impacts from him so far as Technical Director?!

At least, he has been hosting coaching clinics and improving the coaching structure. He has developed a playing structure to guide coaches on the philosophy of Nigerian football.

It must not be a drastic change but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Elock1: 11:33am On Jan 02, 2022
Hello guys and happy Sunday to Y'all..

I was just thinking, which is the best way to enter the Nigerian coaching scene as a total novice?

Candid advice please

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:35am On Jan 02, 2022
fabyom:
Why do you always compare country to clubs? Who selected Ghana's coach? The technical director is the current coach and Pinnick seeking advice from reputable coaches is never a bad idea!!

It is a bad idea because it is not his area of specialization. If he wants to participate, he can join the technical director. However, selecting the coach is the direct job of the technical director.

By the way, we use clubs to understand specifications and working structures. Pinnick is running around for Mourinho and co. to recommend because he has no idea about it. Why not let those whose job it is to do the job?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 11:42am On Jan 02, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

That is the job of the Technical Director. He should come in and try to develop a blueprint. To some extent push it. That is how we can achieve our aim. If Maigari and his team did not have a vision, we would not be where we are.

We can criticize the system as much as we want or we try to do something about it. Turning down a chance to bring in Technical input to the NFF to me is wrong. If he laid down a structure and proposed it for Pinnick to abide by, there are things Pinnick might not miss.

I understand the challenges dealing with the Nigerian sphere but sometimes we make input to improve the system.

I disagree.

Technical Directors don't vie for election. They are for the most part appointed by the FA president who put in for the elected position. The one who vied for office should be the one with a plan, then he puts up a team that will help in the implementation of that plan.

If a team member is coming on board and says to you, what exactly do you want to achieve and you can't in a few words share with him your goal for football as head of the NFF then you're not worth working with. And those who do should at least do so with the hope that though the head of the FA is clueless, being technical director will give them some form of sway in shaping policies that will in turn lead to taking right decisions, but this is not the case here. The complaints of those currently on the technical committee is enough testament that he made the right decision. We need a revamp of the entire system, the FA president shouldn't have this much power. We need a system that works

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 11:47am On Jan 02, 2022
fabyom:

You probably made this statement without understanding what the job of the technical director is. On what basis would the advice gotten from Wenger or Jose we based on? The appointment of a coach shouldn't be backwards, it should be based on the underlying philosophy of the team in question and what they are trying to achieve. So a coach may be good but not good for us based on what we are trying to achieve and the technical director is in the best position to know that not persons outside your context

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 11:49am On Jan 02, 2022
andrewbaba44:
Even at Chelsea thread people see something wrong in shehu abdulahi making the team at first ,but someone here was saying we don’t like the guy because he was playing at Cyprus ,ask yourself what does that guy offers that others RB can’t ?

It’s the way nobody is talking about omeruo like it’s his birth right to always make the super eagles squad grin

My afcon line up and formation below 4-2-3-1
GK: Maduka

RB-Ola Aina CB-Ekong CB-Balogun LB- Sanusi

Onyeka. Ndidi

RW: Chukwueze AM: Joe Aribo LW: Ejuke

CF: Taiwo Awoniyi

Awaziem or ajayi can come in for any of the CB as I have no problem with that

Iheanacho or iwobi can come in for Aribo ,iheanacho can also come in for the CF and even iwobi can come in for the wingers

Sadiq umar and ighalo are also good options from the bench ,not as starters for me

If sanusi and aina are failing with their job ,we still have Ebuehi and Collins ,Collins is not that bad as people here thinks

I don’t know what I will do with Ahmed musa Moses Simon or onyekuru ,any of them might just surprise me but as a coach none of these players will come into the field till the 80th minutes of the game

I don’t have much to say about nwakali ,maybe he can come in for onyeka later in the game

I am going with Maduka since he is playing in a better league and he is regular ,I don’t really trust him though and I don’t think uzoho has played much this season

This is my opinion and I believe this is 80 percent our best line up ,I know the coach will be different sha .

nice submission bro just a quick reminder balogun isn't available anymore wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2022
lovewins:

I disagree.

Technical Directors don't vie for election. They are for the most part appointed by the FA president who put in for the elected position. The one who vied for office should be the one with a plan, then he puts up a team that will help in the implementation of that plan.

If a team member is coming on board and says to you, what exactly do you want to achieve and you can't in a few words share with him your goal for football as head of the NFF then you're not worth working with. And those who do should at least do so with the hope that though the head of the FA is clueless, being technical director will give them some form of sway in shaping policies that will in turn lead to taking right decisions, but this is not the case here. The complaints of those currently on the technical committee is enough testament that he made the right decision. We need a revamp of the entire system, the FA president shouldn't have this much power. We need a system that works

That is why I said, look at club structures.

Al Mubarak is a businessman. A sound one with ideas to move the club financially forward. With that, he had a plan of making Manchester City a club like Barcelona.

Now does he know the inner workings of Barcelona and how to go about it? No he doesn't. What did he do?

He recruited Ferran Soriano, the former Economy Vice President and interim CEO of Barcelona. This man knows how to run the business side of the football. Then he hands off from the business side. Then Soriano brought in the former Tech Director of Barcelona, Txiki Begiristain, then hands-off. Soriano will not tell Txiki the players to recruit or the coach.

Then Txiki got Guardiola. Then Txiki and Guardiola run the football side of things. Soriano runs the football business side and reports to Al Mubarak.

Not NFF President traveling to recruit coach. Haba.

His job is to recruit a sound Technical team, with a quality Technical Director.

Look at Overmas and Erik Ten Hag. Overmas as Sporting Director of Ajax recruited Ten Hag, a coach who shares his ideas and philosophy of the game. That is not the job of Edwin Van der Sar who is CEO and head of the club.

Below are Overmars and Ten Hag together.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2022
lovewins:

Agreed without question ❓

When you have worked in a professional football environment with the correct structures and process management in place. Convention and organisational culture is established with integrity, due process, honesty and probity.

In addition to established KPI's and a clear strategic vision underpinned with quantifiable outcome deliveries short and long term.

You will know very quickly ,when you are dealing with a bunch of inept, posturing, lacking in knowledge clowns and know to stay well clear.

Because there is NOTHING you can do and you are being set up to fail. Add to that your not hungry and desperate for money and have INTEGRITY.

Unfortunately many here will not understand that, including TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:56am On Jan 02, 2022
TFLASHOGEE:
nice submission bro just a quick reminder balogun isn't available anymore wink

My bad

Awaziem should start with Ekong .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01pm On Jan 02, 2022
komekn:

Agreed without question ❓

When you have worked in a professional football environment with the correct structures and process management in place. Convention and organisational culture is established with integrity, due process, honesty and probity.

In addition to established KPI's and a clear strategic vision underpinned with quantifiable outcome deliveries short and long term.

You will know very quickly ,when you are dealing with a bunch of inept, posturing, lacking in knowledge clowns and know to stay well clear.

Because there is NOTHING you can do and you are being set up to fail. Add to that your not hungry and desperate for money and have INTEGRITY.

Unfortunately many here will not understand that, including TheGoodJoe.

Why won't I understand, is it rocket science or Nuclear physics?

The point is simple. Seyi pointed about vision, where we are, and where we are going? He wanted a bunch of politicians to give him those answers.

My point is simple, come in and give the country direction. That is what the technical director should do. Provide those answers. Lay down the vision and goals for the Nation's football. They do not know, that is why they are reaching out to him.

If he is excusing himself because of corruption, to protect his integrity, etc, he should tell us that. Don't tell us vision, and goals, etc.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sugarboyy(m): 12:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

The point is simple. Seyi pointed about vision, where we are, and where we are going? He wanted a bunch of politicians to give him those answers.

My point is simple, come in and give the country direction. That is what the technical director should do. Provide those answers. Lay down the vision and goals for the Nation's football. They do not know, that is why they are reaching out to him.

If he is excusing himself because of corruption, to protect his integrity, etc, he should tell us that. Don't tell us vision, and goals, etc.
Supposedly sound minds running away from taken charges in Nigeria leadership space is one of the many reasons the country is still where it's right now, or even moving backwards.
So I totally agree with you, Seyi should have come in with his own knowledge and plans and if along the line Pinnick and or other technical committee members refuses to support him and his great plans, then he can resign and tell the world his reasons for resigning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Sugarboyy:

Supposedly sound minds running away from taken charges in Nigeria leadership space is one of the many reasons the country is still where it's right now, or even moving backwards.
So I totally agree with you, Seyi should have come in with his own knowledge and plans and if along the line Pinnick and or other technical committee members refuses to support him and his great plans, then he can resign and tell the world his reasons for resigning.

Brilliant. Even after leaving, his dossiers and recommendations can later bear fruits in the country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2022
Let's be sincere Shehu has been better than Aina in the right back position for Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Are those currently in the technical department inept? Have they been able to contribute anything significant since being in the committee? What exactly have they been allowed to contribute to the development of football in Nigeria?

Questions like the ones Seyi asked will at least give you a picture of how interested the said politician is in moving the game forward. A few years down the line, we can all agree he didn't make the wrong decision
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 12:22pm On Jan 02, 2022
Joebie:
The player that was "overhyped" in the championship last season grin

First Crystal Palace player in the EPL to come from the bench to score and also bag an assist
As if he was waiting for me to remove him from my fpl before he can score a goal. Yeye person angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (12036) (12037) (12038) (12039) (12040) (12041) (12042) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.