Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,363 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11779685 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12100) (12101) (12102) (12103) (12104) (12105) (12106) ... (16193) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2022
safarigirl:
Quick question guys

So, a BBC Journalist contacted me about possibly questions I may have about AFCON preparations

If una get question, run it by me sharp sharp. Will be responding in half an hour tops

Cc thesupernerd, andrewbaba44, mujtahida, icon4s, komekn, forgiveness, danielnino00

Thanks.

Will VAR be used? Are the referees well trained to use the VAR?

How secured are the venues from possibly attacks from secessionists?

Are spectators allowed in the stadium?

Do they allow full capacity?

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:19pm On Jan 07, 2022
safarigirl:

Thank you for your input, na general question for the thread, no mind the names
Will there be provisions for postponing some games due to Covid? If yes, would the tournament still be able to end as scheduled? This question stems from the many games being postponed in the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:26pm On Jan 07, 2022
Ladies and Gents, good evening.
The committee members chosen to coordinate the fourth edition of the Nairaland Nigeria Football Award have successfully complied the list of nominees for the award.
The voting thread is now open and will close on Monday, January 10th. Please do well to vote as soon as possible.
Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/6928929/nairaland-2021-nigeria-football-awards#109169500

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2022
Nig 2-0 Coton sport
Chukwueze scores

18 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kinsmenn(m): 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2022
minfelix:
Nig 2-0 Coton sport
Chukwueze scores

Please any link to watch? Thank you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:39pm On Jan 07, 2022
chrisooblog:
I'm just curious.

In one instance you said Nwakali wasn't training with the Arsenal first team, today to buttress your point you now agree he indeed trained with the likes of Ozil, Ramsey and co at the time. Good

grin

You somehow omitted the date and the text of the post l was responding to.That would help to put into context.

Training as part of the first team and training with the First team can be two different things.

So I can't help you there. Again maybe then I didn't know he had trained with the first team, or maybe when that comment was made he had not trained with the first team, l really don't know.

But what's your point my response is specifically saying to someone that Nwakali was GIVEN every opportunity to be succeed at Arsenal but failed. Part of that process will be see players even trialists train with the first team at Arsenal.

Does that make them part of the first team ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2022
Akinkumi Amoo missed Afcon due to CAF disapproval to replace Odion Ighalo.Eguavoen also considered Silas Nwankwo but eventually picked Amoo but CAF said No.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 6:54pm On Jan 07, 2022
komekn:

ote author=chrisooblog post=109162646]I'm just curious.

In one instance you said Nwakali wasn't training with the Arsenal first team, today to buttress your point you now agree he indeed trained with the likes of Ozil, Ramsey and co at the time. Good

grin

You somehow omitted the date and the text of the post l was responding to.That would help to put into context.

Training as part of the first team and training with the First team can be two different things.

So I can't help you there. Again maybe then I didn't know he had trained with the first team, or maybe when that comment was made he had not trained with the first team, l really don't know.

But what's your point my response is specifically saying to someone that Nwakali was GIVEN every opportunity to be succeed at Arsenal but failed. Part of that process will be see players even trialists train with the first team at Arsenal.

Does that make them part of the first team ❓

There is a chance he might just make something of his career so don't write him off. I do not belive he should be on that list though as he is not doing that well and National team is not a place to revive your career. That said he is already there so we have to accept it. But I will not start him in the first 2 match though as this is a tournament not friendly. We are playing teams not just players so any weak link will be exploited.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:09pm On Jan 07, 2022
superbloke:

I get that he may have trained with the team, but that doesn't mean he got the chance to fight for a place. They are two different things. He could not have done that because he had no work permit. He was basically a visitor in London.

In comparison, we heard reports that Ebere Eze trained with one of the Nigerian youth teams once, but we all know he did not get a chance to compete and be part of the team. You yourself say as much a lot.

I'm not saying he would have been a world beater had he gotten the chance, after all, he's not done much with his career so far (I don't dispute this, and I also think truthfully, he doesn't deserve to be on the SE team to the Afcon), but let's be fair here. Using the fact that he didn't get a chance at arsenal to say he never got to play when we know he didn't have a work permit, isn't a fair point.

Anyway, what I want to bring out is that he can still make a lot out of his career. Osimhen did, Awoniyi did (a similar case and he eventually got his permit before being sold), so I believe he also can. After all, he had some interest from EPL clubs during the summer.

I am not a fan of rap artist Eminem but the Lyrics of his sing ,Loose Yourself explain the situation.

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

Ademola Lookman was playing Sunday football and his team was invited to play Charlton athletic U18 who intended to use this local team for target practice.. Cut a long story short he stood out , was invited to trial within a year he was playing for the first team of Charlton. He seized the opportunity

Tyron Mings was released by Southampton's ( he was too short ) at 16. He started playing non league and working. Ipswich Town needed a team to play with for pre season to use for target practice. That team was Chippenham Tyron was so good that Mick McCarthy signed him immediately . He is now a top player and England international. He seized the opportunity

Awoniyi was in Liverpool's but he was always training with the U23's and on occasion first team . Work permit did not prevent him ftom training, but he simply was not good enough for the first team.

Nwakali had opportunity but could not rise to the occasion and Arsenal decided not to bother applying for a work permit for him.

The Ming's, Ademola even Eberechi Eze have very similar stories they SIMPLY SEIZED THE OPPORTUNITY

Unfortunately Nwakali did not and has not for 7 years. Now he had been given an undeserving call up to the SE . Please let him SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:21pm On Jan 07, 2022
forgiveness:

Thanks.

Will VAR be used? Are the referees well trained to use the VAR?

How secured are the venues from possibly attacks from secessionists?

Are spectators allowed in the stadium?

Do they allow full capacity?

Our only sense of comfort is that we are not dealing with deranged lslamic Jihadists, because there is no 100% security against suicide bomber .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:24pm On Jan 07, 2022
Danielnino00:

LMAO..The same deduction you made on Iheanacho and Osimhen last year.. You said all manner of demeaning words like what Idenna said about Awoniyi... Ironically, you have also rubbished Awoniyi in the past..

You better calm down .Those players aren't fighting you... In this life, you can never tell how far somebody can go... You can't use the present to judge the future...

Can you tell me one demeaning and untruthful word that I said not two and the context in which it was said.

Not your perception but my words verbatim please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:30pm On Jan 07, 2022
Eguavoen's 2006 typical team.

4-1-3-2
Enyeama; Odiah-Enakhire-Yobo-Taiwo; Ayila; Mikel-Utaka-Nsofor; Kanu-Martins

I think Eguavoen will stick with 4-1-3-2. The pivot remains Ndidi as Oliseh was in the past. Onyeka is a direct replacement for Ndidi.

Eguavoen wouldn’t mind converting attacking and wing personnel with an excellent work rate to fill in Midfield roles as Westerhoff did with Siasia. Keshi did this with Mba in 2013. I don’t think Eguaveon will bat an eyelid giving Ejuke or Chuwueze one of these midfield roles. He will use either Aribo or Nwakali as the natural CM support for Ndidi.

The problem he has right now is who plays in the hole behind the main striker. Iheanacho, Iwobi, Olayinka, or either of the 9s, Umar and Awoniyi.

Based on the above, here is my interpretation of Eguavoen’s strongest 4-1-3-2 line up on paper is:

Okoye; Aina – Awaziem – Ekong – Zanusi;
Ndidi; Chukwueze* – Aribo – Ejuke; Iheanacho - Awoniyi..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:42pm On Jan 07, 2022
komekn:

Can you tell me one demeaning and untruthful word that I said not two and the context in which it was said.

Not your perception but my words verbatim please.

If you are asking me to go through your moniker and screenshot posts you made to mock both players in the past like you are doing with Nwakali now, I absolutely don't have the time, and there's absolutely no need because nearly every active member of this thread can attest to that..

You are making predictions of Nwakali future based on his present situation..You obviously don't learn...

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 07, 2022
Joezinho:
Eguavoen's 2006 typical team.

4-1-3-2
Enyeama; Odiah-Enakhire-Yobo-Taiwo; Ayila; Mikel-Utaka-Nsofor; Kanu-Martins

I think Eguavoen will stick with 4-1-3-2. The pivot remains Ndidi as Oliseh was in the past. Onyeka is a direct replacement for Ndidi.

Eguavoen wouldn’t mind converting attacking and wing personnel with an excellent work rate to fill in Midfield roles as Westerhoff did with Siasia. Keshi did this with Mba in 2013. I don’t think Eguaveon will bat an eyelid giving Ejuke or Chuwueze one of these midfield roles. He will use either Aribo or Nwakali as the natural CM support for Ndidi.

The problem he has right now is who plays in the hole behind the main striker. Iheanacho, Iwobi, Olayinka, or either of the 9s, Umar and Awoniyi.

Based on the above, here is my interpretation of Eguavoen’s strongest 4-1-3-2 line up on paper is:

Okoye; Aina – Awaziem – Ekong – Zanusi;
Ndidi; Chukwueze* – Aribo – Ejuke; Iheanacho - Awoniyi..
with this we can go far

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 7:47pm On Jan 07, 2022
None of our attackers are even in the conversation… We still have a long way to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2022
drDoom3:
None of our attackers are even in the conversation… We still have a long way to go.

There is only one African attacker in this conversation, so, I no send am

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2022
Englandboy:
with this we can go far

Sure we can. I hope Eguaveon doesn't mess things up..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 7:57pm On Jan 07, 2022
I will prefer DRC or Ghana…

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
Loool

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2022
Watching the replay of Nig/Tun in the last edition of Afcon, I must say Samuel Kalu is another player with accurate set piece taking...twice on target and accurate

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2022
Meliforme:

I am not saying that Aribo is a bad player.
I am saying that there are players who are more excellent than him in the current SE fold.

I narrowed it down to his performances due to Gernot Rohr poor tactical input and i said Rohr takes the greater blame.
But even in the midst Rohr's poverty of tactics, some players were able to stamp their influence.

Take for instance his pairing with Frank Onyeka. Frank Onyeka was winning duels even in advanced areas and making forward passes. What exactly was Aribo's, you can't exactly tell whether he is a CM or a DM. He will receive a pass and then sends it backwards, so that what will happen.

I want you to realise that we have better playmakers who are better at making decisions.
Take for instance Ejuke, in one of the matches, when he found it a bit difficult to maneuver with dribbles partly because some of our players weren't moving into good positions to receive (benefit from) the ball, which resulted to what some of you guys will term unnecessary dribbles. He picked his moment for a through pass to Osimhen. This is playmaking, it requires good decision making.

Remember the match against CAR away where Osimhen received a through pass and dribbled the keeper only to have his weak footed shot cleared off the line? That was the best through pass in the SE for the entire year.

Guess who gave the pass? Ejuke? Iwobi? Nwakali?

It was Aribo of course.

Guess what? It was a long overhead pass from midfield too. The type they said only Nwakali in the whole Nigerian history of football can give?

Your arguments hold no water.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2022
drDoom3:

Na only lord salah be the African wey Dey there ,ballon d or favorite

Africans still have a long way to go and not just we

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2022
drDoom3:

Remember the match against CAR away where Osimhen received a through pass and dribbled the keeper only to have his weak footed shot cleared off the line? That was the best through pass in the SE for the entire year.

Guess who gave the pass? Ejuke? Iwobi? Nwakali?

It was Aribo of course.

Guess what? It was a long overhead pass from midfield too. The type they said only Nwakali in the whole Nigerian history of football can give?

Your arguments hold no water.

Watch from 1:13 if you think I am capping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV-7B47T-cA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:22pm On Jan 07, 2022
Coutinho finally returns to the epl and joins aston Villa on loan ,epl teams get money sha ,Aston Villa will take care of 70 percent of coutinho salary

Only cr7 earns more than coutinho in the epl shocked

Omo this guy was earning 375k weekly at Barca ,bartomeu no really get sense ,even salah will never earn this at Liverpool ,no wonder he forced a move

Wishing coutinho good luck ,while useless dembele is asking for a pay rise ,I am already liking the new Barca and Laporta grin

Sorry for derailing Guys

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by POSITIVEBRAINS: 8:24pm On Jan 07, 2022
Somebody should give us update, players performance in todays super eagle friendly match in cameroon

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 8:33pm On Jan 07, 2022
This afcon will be interesting. No Osihmen, thankfully no Ighalo. The stage is set for Awoniyi, Sadiq and olayinka. This is a massive test for them, if we need to win matches then we have to score goals.

No hiding place for our STRIKERS. No osihmen to score goals for us here. AWONIYI “must” step up. Sadiq and olayinka must be ready, reason I was against ighalo inclusion.

Again, Awoniyi better be ready, I know naija fans, they will chop up raw.

Who will be our number 1? Very interesting
Eguavoen is not rohr, so how will he set up?
Will ejuke play 10?
Will Nwakali finally give us something?
Can we rely on Awoniyi and Sadiq?

99 questions.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2022
Joebie:
January borns like me.. Wishing you more of God's blessings!

What day sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2022
THANK YOU FAM

I appreciate your kind words and prayers. Let's enjoy football this year!

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
PDPGuy:
Loool

Mummy GO don catch you sef abi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 07, 2022
Afcon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 07, 2022
caf recently increase the prizes of the teams participating in the afcons, 5 million dollars for the Afcon winners 2.75 million dollars for the second runner up and for the bronze medals is 2.5 million dollar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:11pm On Jan 07, 2022
Subzero how come when Saul niguez was starting to find form at Chelsea you kept quiet ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12100) (12101) (12102) (12103) (12104) (12105) (12106) ... (16193) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KpagoGIN(m), Elnino9(m), Princezibk and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.