Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,703 members, 7,813,323 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11626544 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12097) (12098) (12099) (12100) (12101) (12102) (12103) ... (16135) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2022
superbloke:
At least he would have had the chance to compete in the academy like Iheanacho did in man city. The point is he didn't get that chance and so had to be jumping from team to team in the low leagues in Europe. European kids would not have that experience. Someone should not now claim that Arsenal signed him but he never played for them because he was bad.(modified)

It seems you are misinformed, Nwakali not only trained with the youth team but also the first team.

This is something that happens regularly in Arsenal youth players train with the first team to see if they can CUT IT. I have even seen a trialist from non league gone straight into the first team training session.

He failed to cut it in the youth team and did not make much of an impression at youth level too.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by POSITIVEBRAINS: 12:39pm On Jan 07, 2022
Any camp update house about our players in cameroon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2022
Subzero047:

Where did you make observations of him, you watched him at his club to know he gets lost in games and his impact is hard to figure out, give me his club matches you watched to arrive to that conclusion maybe I can see where you are coming from

I am not saying that Aribo is a bad player.
I am saying that there are players who are more excellent than him in the current SE fold.

I narrowed it down to his performances due to Gernot Rohr poor tactical input and i said Rohr takes the greater blame.
But even in the midst Rohr's poverty of tactics, some players were able to stamp their influence.

Take for instance his pairing with Frank Onyeka. Frank Onyeka was winning duels even in advanced areas and making forward passes. What exactly was Aribo's, you can't exactly tell whether he is a CM or a DM. He will receive a pass and then sends it backwards, so that what will happen.

I want you to realise that we have better playmakers who are better at making decisions.
Take for instance Ejuke, in one of the matches, when he found it a bit difficult to maneuver with dribbles partly because some of our players weren't moving into good positions to receive (benefit from) the ball, which resulted to what some of you guys will term unnecessary dribbles. He picked his moment for a through pass to Osimhen. This is playmaking, it requires good decision making.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 12:44pm On Jan 07, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

cheesy Algeria definitely
I knew Algeria won the group but Senegals path to the final was easier of the two
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

What is clutching at straws? You can say Kelechi Nwakali did not break through after trials but done use Gnabry and Arsenal. That is you pretending about the work permit issue . I can see you side stepped it and refuse to talk about it. You know what you are doing.

I can not remember how we pulled Nacho's work permit but I know it took a battle. We got him on by applying for a work permit based on special talent and then kept in the academy to break in as a home grown talent. However, it was Pellegrini insisting on not buying a striker and making nacho priority. That was why we could fight. Without Pellegrini, it would have been a different scenario.

Kelechi Iheanacho suffered in different systems after he left City, did not mean he would turn out a bad player. Kelechi Nwakali having challenges to breakthrough does not mean he will end up a failure.

My heart and prayers remain with Kelechi Nwakali and I believe he will turn out a huge success soon.

I could go much further with specifics, I know Brian and one Irish coach that left Crystal p to coach there.

And I can tell you Arsenal have £££ and they can get top lawyers to make a case at tribunal. If indeed the want you to get a work permit. Nwakali excellent outstanding top level exploits at youth level gave him "Special Talent status" getting a work permit was just administrative not contentious.

But they did not , they felt to be honest they had made a mistake it happens all the time. Player simply not good enough ,no time to waste . Get rid and count your losses.

They tried to offload him to Porto but he failed to step up again and ended giving him up to Huesca for undisclosed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2022
Nigeria 5 - 0 Egypt grin

Awoniyi (brace)
chuks (brace)
Ejuke (one goal)

this I have seen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2022
safarigirl:

How many Euros and World Cup did Vardy go for before he retired?

If you bloom late, you will naturally only have one AFCON and World Cup in you....sometimes, none sef.

If he had respected himself and rejected invitation, we would have been talking about him right now, but in a much more positive light.

"grin statement if he had respected himself " is relative though cos he didn't lobby to come back rather it was d oda way round by d former coach,so not really Iggy's whole fault cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Nigeria 5 - 0 Egypt grin

Awoniyi (brace)
chuks (brace)
Ejuke (one goal)

this I have seen

Yes on fifa 20 grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2022
maidaboi:
We will see if Nwakali may turn his career around or not but don't predict doom because you are not God

Everything is not religious.

You make informed knowledge based deductions on facts and objective assessments. There is not time for double standards or emotional preferences.

Nwakali had potential but potential has a shelf life cycle and his has expired. He has had a lot of help but failed.

I am not God and with God ABSOLUTELY anything is possible.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2022
Happy Birthday chief more blessed years ahead
Odunayaw:
I'm +1 today. Any birthday mate here?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2022
POSITIVEBRAINS:
Any camp update house about our players in cameroon
Scheduled for a friendly match today
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2022
He was being sarcastic, he didn't actually mean Nwakali was in the original list.

He was trying to counter the point that Eguavoen couldn't add a player outside the list using the example of KC who was used to replace Onuachu.

komekn:

Do you really think that Rohr makes the whole no list by himself, without the influence and manipulation of a myriad of officials in and out of the NFF..

Please wake up we are Nigerians we know our DNA.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olu98: 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Nigeria 5 - 0 Egypt grin

Awoniyi (brace)
chuks (brace)
Ejuke (one goal)

this I have seen

grin

Funny how awoniyi went from 4th choice to starter. I m sure awoniyi never expected it at all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
Barryseal:

That's a damning verdict on Eguavoen. It means he hasn't been doing his job. As TD he should keep a dossier on all Nigerian players in Europe top leagues at least.
I laugh when people praise Eguavoen's tactical acumen. This guy was a resounding failure the last time he was with the super Eagles. He was hounded out from the national team with all kinds of bad press.

The man keeps talking about luck everytime. That tells he has an already made excuse should he fail. I have never heard a top manager talking about needing luck in interviews, klopp? Tuchel? Flick? Pep? The man is clueless.

We now have round of 16 in the nation's cup then quarter finals, no way he navigates through and get to the semi finals on luck. Eguavoen doesn't have the capacity, who wan bet?

You may believe or disbelief as some may find this hard to believe.

As an organisation there has to be the desire to improve by instituting strategy policy and process management to achieve success.

There has to be professional ethics , best practices and organisational culture that underpins that .

I was speaking to the NFF maybe a year ago and I mentioned a number of things including players of Nigeria origin in top academies and in some top clubs that could be reached.

They were not interested. What was of interest to them is which agent is he signed to and if they can sign with their preferred agent ,etc

I understand 100% why Seyi declined the position .

The NFF is not really interested in pushing our football forward, they are more interested in deals and pushing their own players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olu98: 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
Abeg what was alloy agu trying to do here? Man knew about R2 even before fifa grin His positioning was bad

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2022
safarigirl:

We honestly don't care

Anybody wey no know say na luck dey carry us go this AFCON just dey live for lala land, because even the team na cut and join.

If luck is on his side, fine, if not, Jose Pepperoni gets to start his World Cup qualification work early.

Eguaveon is not a top coach, has never been and will never be, so, I no know wetin bring the comparison to Pep and Klopp. Nothing concern akamu and bran.

He will not be the first coach to admit that he has not seen a top player play. If he is fine with what he currently has, no wahala. France did not take Benzema to the World Cup and they won it with a Giroud that most of you would admit is not as good as Benzema. Did heaven fall?

Abeg, manage your expectations going into AFCON. Our coach is not Pep, we don't have Mbappe on the wings or CR7 up top, TAA is not our RB, Modric is not manning the midfield and Mendy is not our goalie.

Anything wey we see starting from next week, walahi, na God do am for us, because as I dey so, I no know as ball go be. Even the players no know as e go be

WOW didn't know you could be this brutally honest no frills no dressing up.

Best post seen in a long time, SAYING IT AS IT IS.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2022
samtol4:
Sir constructive criticism is not a bad thing when it comes to the game of soccer . It only becomes harmful when there is hatred attached to such criticism. Ighalo has done very well for Nigeria , but at the moment we have clinical strikers that can do better than him .

Ighalo has been a good striker for a long time proven and tested over many seasons.

He is collecting bags of money � £££ and is still playing, does he still have the sharpness , l really do not know.

Is KC , better than him No not in my opinion, is Awoniyi better than him not yet still not conclusive. Is Dennis better than him I would say a big YES. Is Osimhen better No That was proven at the last AFCON undoubtedly. However, in the HERE and NOW it's not conclusive considering his Osimhen injuries and recovery.

Sadiq is not even on the same level as Ighalo to compare them is an insult.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 1:14pm On Jan 07, 2022
I beg to disagree, I seriously do not think we have a better midfielder in the SE at the moment who is better than Ayodele Aribo.

He is simply a joy to watch in this current Rangers team and Europa, I always thank God we have a player like that. For real.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:14pm On Jan 07, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Ighalo no use super eagles join Man U ,ighalo no use super eagles get Newcastle offer ,but Na super eagles he wan use push to move to same Western Europe grin

People like to talk nonsense .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2022
do4luv14:

Congratulations may you continue to soar with Grace, congrats my birth month Mate
What day bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2022
jihday:
Emenalo won’t see all Chelsea players on loan, they have a loan manager or so. The eagles under Rohr had a team scout, his job was to watch and monitor all potential SE players so I’m not sure it’s the job of the TD to watch every potential players

You have a range of staff who make reports that are submitted to you . That way you are INFORMED and KNOWLEDGEABLE.

But unfortunately our man is neither.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2022
Odunayaw:
What day bro

14th
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:22pm On Jan 07, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Nigeria 5 - 0 Egypt grin

Awoniyi (brace) chuks (brace) Ejuke (one goal)

this I have seen

Osheyyy......... legend of the seer, ah trowey hand for you

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 1:23pm On Jan 07, 2022
Just heard Ighalo is coming...How true??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Ndidi is better than many midfielders from other teams ,but I can’t say of Aribo and onyeka sha but they are still better than many sha

I can’t really say we have the best midfield at afcon sha ,but we have a decent midfield in ndidi onyeka and Aribo

So any player that’s wanted by Everton is not average ? I hail your knowledge

And kamaldeen is not a midfielder ,stop arguing what you don’t know oga Kome ,he has never played as a midfielder self

My response in that write up is rhetorical.

If someone is calling Ghana Midfielder pretty average, what then does that make ours excellent ?.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2022
Remember this
komekn:

It seems you are misinformed, Nwakali not only trained with the youth team but also the first team.

This is something that happens regularly in Arsenal youth players train with the first team to see if they can CUT IT. I have even seen a trialist from non league gone straight into the first team training session.

He failed to cut it in the youth team and did not make much of an impression at youth level too.

komekn:

You are clearly misrepresenting the facts.

Kelechi does not train with Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey.

He is playing in the Eerste Divisie 2nd tier of Dutch football. It is low and what's more concerning is he is not the stand out player in that low league.

He is currently just an Arsenal player on paper, a mere speculative business transaction that may possibly. yield some dividend.

Unfortunately there is a continous trend for reasons unknown to give former Nigerian youth players irrespective of current progression opportunities in the SE to the detriment of far better performing players.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2022
andrewbaba44:

All players are important to their club

Dessers has score some winning goals that gave them 3 points from the bench

Nobody asked you to speak if he is important or not ,your little opportunity to talk down on dessers

Smh

The question is will his club release him for AFCON at such shirt notice and in that context they should because he's not that important to the club.

What is Smh cry

The facts are there to substantiate my deduction but you then bring a negative connotation you sef SMH

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2022
chrisooblog:
Remember this

What's your point ❓

The response is qualified by the context not in isolation. When something is taken out of context it becomes a CON.

Was Nwakali training at Arsenal as part of the First team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 1:37pm On Jan 07, 2022
komekn:

You should know that designation is not rigid in football with players playing two or three positions with excellence.

Iwobi is classed as both Winger and midfielder.

Saka plays LB, LW and Left side midfield what would you call him ? Eberechi Eze plays wing and Midfield football is not so rigid if you are a good player. Kamaldeen also plays midfield.

Idrissu is pretty average according to you and if he is pretty average. Sometimes I use transfer interest as an indicator of how well a player is doing.

Idrissu the average player is wanted by Everton and this very average player could bench Iwobi the way things are going at Everton.

I don't think we have one of the best Midfields in AFCON by any stretch of the imagination.

with much due respect, have you taken your time to watch Baba or he is gold because he is linked with the toffees?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2022
Looking at our squad now, only Ejuke and Samuel Chukwueze gives me hope as our forward men.

Not pretty sure what to expect from Nacho. He has been average in national colours of recent.

For Musa, perhaps we need his experience. Else he is too dull for a leader, and he doesn't inspire confidence in the team. I won't say he has no business in the squad. But let us watch and see.

Napoli did us dirty sha... Osimhen nor get any nonsense Covid. They just wanted to keep him back at all cost.. I recall one Italian ex-player saying Napoli can't win the league without Osimhen after he would have gone to afcon. Is like the matter enter their head. Just watch, they will start using him from next week. Bet. undecided undecided

NFF are a bunch of disgraces.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2022
I'm just curious.

In one instance you said Nwakali wasn't training with the Arsenal first team, today to buttress your point you now agree he indeed trained with the likes of Ozil, Ramsey and co at the time. Good

grin

komekn:

What's your point ❓

The response is qualified by the context not in isolation. When something is taken out of context it becomes a CON.

Was Nwakali training at Arsenal as part of the First team

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:57pm On Jan 07, 2022
PurpleHouse:
Looking at our squad now, only Ejuke and Samuel Chukwueze gives me hope as our forward men.

Not pretty sure what to expect from Nacho. He has been average in national colours of recent.

For Musa, perhaps we need his experience. Else he is too dull for a leader, and he doesn't inspire confidence in the team. I won't say he has no business in the squad. But let us watch and see.

Napoli did us dirty sha... Osimhen nor get any nonsense Covid. They just wanted to keep him back at all cost.. I recall one Italian ex-player saying Napoli can't win the league without Osimhen after he would have gone to afcon. Is like the matter enter their head. Just watch, they will start using him from next week. Bet. undecided undecided

NFF are a bunch of disgraces.

If ejuke that’s is yet to be a proven super eagles player can give you hope then other forwards should also give you hope .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12097) (12098) (12099) (12100) (12101) (12102) (12103) ... (16135) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), chrisooblog, daveP(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.