Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652300 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12209) (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) (12214) (12215) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
mirinder:
i've said it times without number. That guy is not a keeper. He's too jittering in goal. I dont know they made him no 1. Akpeyi beta passam. He should go into fulltime modelling.
And you made the conclusion from his Twitter post? Can you show us a video where he was jittering in a way that other keepers don't?

As long una continue to dey biased against Maduka, I go dey defend am cheesy

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
Equatorial Guinea has missed too many chances for juju not to be involved

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yemyke001(m): 9:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:
Equatorial Guinea has missed too many chances for juju not to be involved

Too wasteful a team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 9:29pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

I've been talking about Cote d'Ivoire (maybe not on here Sha), but I've stated multiple times that I see them as a strong team, even though they lost to Cameroon during WCQ

Another team that has played with seriousness aside Nigeria so far.

Abeg...I no see anything special for Ivory Coast

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2022
yemyke001:

Too wasteful a team

I feel like slapping all of them

See Edu just missed another goal

They have actually dominated this second half, na end product dey kill them.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2022
mirinder:
Uganda played a one one draw with iceland. I dare say African football has improved.

Iceland is an ekuke team ,know this and know peace

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:31pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

You are supposed to be appraising a players Moses S. performance and his failings with wrong decision making and an inability to make a basic accurate cross.

And your response is, Rashord makes the same mistake ( that's not even true) Wow !!! Therefore according to your rational it's OK. Chei.

Rashford makes lots of childhood errors. There are many times players are in favorable positions and he chooses to go into tight areas and messes things up.

Sometimes he takes unnecessary touches. Sometimes messes up counter attacks with terrible decision making.

He went to a top academy and still makes them. So don't make it look like academy is holy Grail.

Is it not Tommy Doyle in City Guardiola scolded for very poor decision making? Is he not from a de la creme academy?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 9:31pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:
I suggest Eguavoen and his team should not be sacked completely, instead Peseiro should be made the technical director, and Eguavoen the coach

Eguavoen is not the only brain behind our performance against the Egyptians, it takes the collective effort of the technical crew. If we can retain the technical crew with the new coach then we should be good to go.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

Sometimes, it also makes people hate on you undeservedly.

People are biased against you just because they believe there has always been a favorable bias towards you.

Anyway, he should congrats on his beauty. He seems to be soaking in the attention sha, posting multiple times in a day for his teeming fans. He should enjoy while the going is good, hopefully, it remains so for the duration of the tournament
That's what I meant with my last statement. Not just beauty. Wealth, Intelligence, Success also attract negativity. Many people silently wishing you fail. I think that's one of the reasons he's harshly judged here. Average Nigerians tend to support who suffered more in life, which in this case is Uzoho. After being accused of age cheat, he then gets a nasty injury in a match paving the way for an equally young Maduka to grab his shirt and run away with it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ivory coast playing like they have gassed out.. shuoo.. dem dey forbid to win by 2 goals for this AFCON.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2022
Astrid4:

Eguavoen is not the only brain behind our performance against the Egyptians, it takes the collective effort of the technical crew. If we can retain the technical crew with the new coach then we should be good to go.

I find that funny because what we saw yesterday was the philosophy of Eguavoen in action. It is his mindset on display.

If you watched the tactical philosophy video of Eguavoen, you will get that the goal came straight from his play book.

The tidy build from the back, the long ball to the flank. The cross. The offensive setup and support getting to the box to finish.

That is 100% Eguavoen.

The coaching crew came together to bring his own philosophy to life.

With a different coach, you get a different approach.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Firmino plays as a striker for Liverpool without a pair and it has not limited him for creating chances for others.

Firmino is playing deep grin grin...mane and Salah can effectively play as a CF...with firmino dropping deep the formation switch from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 mane and Salah tends to operate more centrally. Liverpool wingers don't 'hug the lines' or perform like a traditional wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
smh Ivory Coast
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:
Interim Nigeria boss Augustine Eguavoen has acknowledged that Almeria star Umar Sadiq did not play on the same level as Taiwo Awoniyi after coming off the bench to replace the Union Berlin striker in the 72nd minute of a 1-0 win vs Egypt in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations on Tuesday evening.

In truth, Sadiq, who is having another outstanding season at Almeria, did not add value when he came on, failing to hold up play, create a goal threat and didn't cause problems for the backline.

Eguavoen argued that the former Rangers man was nervy because he was playing in his first major tournament - something that didn't hold water as Sadiq was a key member of the Nigeria squad that won bronze at the Olympic Games in 2016, has Serie A experience and sixteen games under his belt in European competitions.

The 24-year-old made his senior debut against the seven-time African champions.

Asked if he was bothered that Sadaq didn't play on the same level as the player he replaced, Eguaoven told reporters at the post-match press conference : "Umar I think this is the first time playing in a very big stage and we have to talk to him.

"He gave me some few excuses after the game but it's something psychological so we have to talk to him and address it in future games."

Sadiq started all the six matches played by the Dream Team VI at the 2016 Olympics, scoring four goals.

The level of prejudice, double standard , hypocrisy among so many of us, actually mirrors our national and local politics. That happens here.

We support a person because he's from my village, tribe, etc. Even when it is clear the individual lacks capacity, sometimes when that person is known to be corrupt and even a thief.

There are some trying to create division between what they call " foreign born" Vs "Nigerian born" it's a kind of quasi tribalism and discrimination. Creating contention and rancour where there should be none.

We know how we operate in the NFF. But we make prejudiced assumption about people, not born or brought up in Nigeria. But most have not met or even know anything about them ,but are so quick to make deductions in the negative about them.

The same people who have lambasted me with vitriolic rhetoric and abuse claiming bias against Nigerian players brought up in Nigeria.

I made a clear, defined and specific criticism with regards to Nwakali and Sadiq. Eguavon is literally saying the same thing. The reports from training have not deviated from what they produced in this match.

Where Eguavon hands tied, I am honestly bewildered. How can you have Onyeka and Iwobi on the bench and you bring in Nwakali in a crucial match like this. Umar I guess there was nobody else to play as a striker .

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dozai: 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
Haller has been hallad out. Afcon na one kind tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
Pepe be missing chances like na Play station 2 player's seems being benched at arsenal is really affecting him and equatorial guinea been missing chances like amateur player's grin grin grin but exciting games that should have produce nothing less than 6 goals between both sides wink assuming dey took their chances well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I find that funny because what we saw yesterday was the philosophy of Eguavoen in action. It is his mindset on display.

If you watched the tactical philosophy video of Eguavoen, you will get that the goal came straight from his play book.

The tidy build from the back, the long ball to the flank. The cross. The offensive setup and support getting to the box to finish.

That is 100% Eguavoen.

The coaching crew came together to bring his own philosophy to life.

With a different coach, you get a different approach.

I agree with some of your assertions but we can disregard the intelligence of the other technical crews, rohr woes started immediately salisu was suspended, you can't undermine or disregard the timely advice or this dude of these technical crew.it reminds Brendan Rodgers and kolo toure scenario.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
Astrid4:

Firmino is playing deep grin grin...mane and Salah can effectively play as a CF...with firmino dropping deep the formation switch from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 mane and Salah tends to operate more centrally. Liverpool wingers don't 'hug the lines' or perform like a traditional wingers.

Who said Mane and Salah hug the lines like traditional wingers? Because, I know it is not me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dozai: 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
Eq guinea plays like a team, unlike CIV.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:46pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

Is that acceptable ❓

This is the difference from playing in smaller club and league. Aina was able to take a shot from outside the box with his left foot. And he is right footed.

There is no excuse he needs to add to his skull set or he will not progress to a higher level.

Aina is Ambidextrous but we have many in EPL that are one footed. Except you want to tell me there are none.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
That's what I meant with my last statement. Not just beauty. Wealth, Intelligence, Success also attract negativity. Many people silently wishing you fail. I think that's one of the reasons he's harshly judged here. Average Nigerians tend to support who suffered more in life, which in this case is Uzoho. After being accused of age cheat, he then gets a nasty injury in a match paving the way for an equally young Maduka to grab his shirt and run away with it.

What should be the unit of measurement for national team selection in the HERE and NOW.

Consistent outstanding quality performance in your league and club.

Maduka has progressed from the lowly Germany third tier to become the number one goal keeper in his club and league the Eredivisie.

Uzoho has remained in obscurity in the much lower Cypriot league. I am not even sure if he the number one in his club.

Maduka has played way more games in his club than Uzoho almost double his appearances.

Now if you want to be objective , who would you choose.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Who said Mane and Salah hug the lines like traditional wingers? Because, I know it is not me.

I just use that to butress my point, firmino doesn't play as a striker for Liverpool he is more of a "hole player".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

In improving the team , my question is always not that Omeruo had a good game. Can anybody do better and carry the bar even higher❓

That's how teams improve.

Possibly but in here and now, Omeruo is doing better.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
Astrid4:

I agree with some of your assertions but we can disregard the intelligence of the other technical crews, rohr woes started immediately salisu was suspended, you can't undermine or disregard the timely advice or this dude of these technical crew.it reminds Brendan Rodgers and kolo toure scenario.

I did not say disregard them. I am saying what we saw was the philosophy of Eguavoen in action. The coaching crew worked in line with the philosophy he laid down.

So do not expect the same with a different philosophy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

One thing I am almost certain 100% Odion Ighalo is absolutely 200% better than Sadiq Umar, EOD.

Agreed for now without reservation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
mirinder:
Do we need victor moses in this team

Rest e
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
Astrid4:

I just use that to butress my point, firmino doesn't play as a striker for Liverpool he is more of a "hole player".

He plays as a striker but due to tactics, has roles to it. So do not make it look like if Iheanacho is to play top, he must restrict himself to play like Benteke. There is always fluid switches to suit players.

So playing as a striker must not mean standing in the box.

Anelka was a striker but hated staying in the box. He preferred occupying wide areas before breaking in. So players play the role differently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

What should be the unit of measurement for national team selection in the HERE and NOW.

Maduka has progressed from the lowly Germany third tier to become the number one goal keeper in his club and league the Eredivisie.

Uzoho has remained in obscurity in the much lower Cypriot league. I am not even sure if he the number one in his club.

Maduka has played way more games in his club than Uzoho almost double his appearances.

With your HERE AND NOW Theory, Maduka should not have gotten a callup. Telling us his progress defeats your agenda. You do not know the trajectory of any player after a callup. So if you are repping Maduka, then know he did not get called up with your HERE AND NOW.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
forgiveness:

Aina is Ambidextrous but we have many in EPL that are one footed. Except you want to tell me there are none.

Your right but not comprehensively.

I don't know a wing back or winger that cannot cross the ball, in the championship before we talk of EPL.

There are some that are very weak with only being proficient with one foot and however, they have other attributes to compensate.

For instance Wan Bissaka is not great but his defensive attributes give him an advantage. At one stage he had made the most tackles in the EPL.

That statistics can be seen in the negative and positive. For instance ,Kante has such great anticipation blocking off the space and timely intervention he ends up not doing so many tackles. So his stats for tackles are not that high in comparison.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:58pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

Loud am abeg. Maduka of course. It easier to replicate goalkeeping form in the national team as you need less teamwork. But dem no go hear.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:59pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

With your HERE AND NOW Theory, Maduka should not have gotten a callup. Telling us his progress defeats your agenda. You do not know the trajectory of any player after a callup. So if you are repping Maduka, then know he did not get called up with your HERE AND NOW.

I rest my case in the HERE and NOW

Add quality of league Eredivisie and Cypriot league there is no discussion.

One had progressed from the lowe league of Germany and one has built house in Cypriot league and remained there for how many seasons ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 10:01pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:

I doubt Udogie would wanna relinquish his place as the captain of the junior Azzuris for a place in the super eagles. He should be left alone. We have Chinedu Ughelumba who can double as a LB and CB.

Isaac Success will bring Destiny Udogie over. I'm sure of that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12209) (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) (12214) (12215) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: robosky02(m), BascoVanVeli(m), Sugarboyy(m), Amedino99(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.