Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,035 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652786 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) (12214) (12215) (12216) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:02pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

I rest my case in the HERE and NOW

Add quality of league Eredivisie and Cypriot league there is no discussion.

One had progressed from the lowe league of Germany and one has built house in Cypriot league and remained there for how many seasons ?

Stop pretending as if you did not get the point. Maduka called up outside your here and now theory. He was selected over keepers of better status than him to be number 1.

Simplito.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

He plays as a striker but due to tactics, has roles to it. [b]So do not make it look like if Iheanacho is to play top, he must restrict himself to play like Benteke. [/b]There is always fluid switches to suit players.

So playing as a striker must not mean standing in the box.

Anelka was a striker but hated staying in the box. He preferred occupying wide areas before breaking in. So players play the role differently.

You are confusing me .

How can you compare the style of play of Benteke , physicality, Aerial prowess, Hold up play , Aggression and you are comparing KC.

Haba your off the scale with this

It's like comparing a Range Rover Vogue to a Mercedes-Benz E class. Totally different players and attributes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
Apart from Cameroon wey use 2penalty goals escape from the 1-0 Afcon trend
Can we pick the stand out teams that can make it to the semifinals?
Ok let's wait for second round of matches grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

You are confusing me .

How can you compare the style of play of Benteke , physicality, Aerial prowess, Hold up play , Aggression and you are comparing KC.

Haba your off the scale with this

It's like comparing a Range Rover Vogue to a Mercedes-Benz E class. Totally different players and attributes.

Read and understand. Martins has led the line in attack. So has Peter Crouch, so has Tevez, So has Aguero, So Suarez. So has Forlan.

They all play the nine role differently.

So to you, am I comparing all of them?

By the way, Iheanacho is a better finisher than Benteke. Benteke might have the superman skills but he is not a tidier finisher than Iheanacho.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Mali don score penalty

I heard the match was fixed

that Mali will get a red card soon

and Tunisia will win from behind

I think it was too. Too bad Tunisia couldn't score their own penalty.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

I rest my case in the HERE and NOW

Add quality of league Eredivisie and Cypriot league there is no discussion.

One had progressed from the lowe league of Germany and one has built house in Cypriot league and remained there for how many seasons ?

As usual, you stylishly ignored the points he raised..

Using your Here and Now theory, would u have supported Maduka's call up when he was in the German fourth division? Bear in mind that Uzoho went from playing in the Spanish third division (Played 2 laliga games), then to the second division before ending up in Cyprus.. And he is playing for one of the best team in Cyprus that guarantees him regular European football...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:12pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Stop pretending as if you did not get the point. Maduka called up outside your here and now theory. He was selected over keepers of better status than him to be number 1.

Simplito.

Maduka has played essentially every game for Sparta Rotterdam in this 2021/22 season

Meanwhile Uzoho has played 60% of the game's for his club 2021/22.

What can be more HERE and NOW than Maduka call up please❓. Then tell me please out of all the Nigerian keepers who has better status than him❓❓

The only one I can think of and it's highly debatable is Okonkwo at Arsenal.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:13pm On Jan 12, 2022
"In terms of preparation and strategy, we had a special plan for Mohamed Salah because we know his quality,” Eguavoen told BBC Sport Africa.

“Basketball is one game that I love so much. When you are playing against the likes of Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan and others, if you don’t double-team you’ll have a problem.

“That is the same strategy that I bring into football. So when Mo Salah is with the ball, the closest person goes to him and the next person has to double-team to make him play back.

“It worked for us like 80%, but Salah broke loose on one or two occasions which is normal, but again congratulations to the boys because they are so intelligent.” - Austin Eguavoen.

Does this man realize that his opponents will monitor his press statements? Why explain your tactics to the world when the tournament is still far from over and you may need to employ the same tactic again? Let Eguavoen bridle his tongue o!

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

Maduka has played essentially every game for Sparta Rotterdam in this 2021/22 season

Meanwhile Uzoho has played 60% of the game's for his club 2021/22.

What can be more HERE and NOW than Maduka call up please❓. Then tell me please out of all the Nigerian keepers who has better status than him❓❓

The only one I can think of and it's highly debatable is Okonkwo at Arsenal.

With here and now theory, Maduka should not have gotten the call up at that time. What matters is not Sparta Rotterdam. Let the best player in camp get the slot. Not Sparta Rotterdam.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:15pm On Jan 12, 2022
minfelix:
Apart from Cameroon wey use 2penalty goals escape from the 1-0 Afcon trend
Can we pick the stand out teams that can make it to the semifinals?
Ok let's wait for second round of matches grin

Based on first half games, the standout teams have to be

Cameroon
Sierra Leone
Nigeria
Equatorial Guinea

I did not see the Mali and the Gabon games, so, I won't speak on the teams from those games. But from Round 1, these 4 teams stood out for me. Looking forward to Round 2 and a clearer picture.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
"In terms of preparation and strategy, we had a special plan for Mohamed Salah because we know his quality,” Eguavoen told BBC Sport Africa.

“Basketball is one game that I love so much. When you are playing against the likes of Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan and others, if you don’t double-team you’ll have a problem.

“That is the same strategy that I bring into football. So when Mo Salah is with the ball, the closest person goes to him and the next person has to double-team to make him play back.

“It worked for us like 80%, but Salah broke loose on one or two occasions which is normal, but again congratulations to the boys because they are so intelligent.” - Austin Eguavoen.

Does this man realize that his opponents will monitor his press statements? Why explain your tactics to the world when the tournament is still far from over and you may need to employ the same tactic again? Let Eguavoen bridle his tongue o!

If he explain am finish, wetin dem wan use am do?

Na you dey even reason say dem dey monitor press statements, people that have gone to soak chaplet to avoid that referee from the Mali vs. Tunisia game

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:18pm On Jan 12, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

That is the mystery of tacticians. They just spill everything. They have fun doing it and I think it gives them room to come up with new ideas.

Sometimes I listen to Guardiola and hold my head. He just tells everything. His thought pattern, why he makes changes, his training methods, his ideas to win games.

I will just hold my head, what is wrong with this man?

But, it is his way and I think Eguavoen shares the same mindset. Lots of tacticians do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:18pm On Jan 12, 2022
Astrid4:

Nwakali had an immediate impact, he almost gave an assist and his passes were on point,the technical crew really tried,from team selection to the substitution everything was just on point.

Leave this almost gave an assist abeg or immediate impact

Nwakali didn’t have much time to proove himself and that’s it ,so no need for all these

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:21pm On Jan 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

As usual, you stylishly ignored the points he raised..

Using your Here and Now theory, would u have supported Maduka's call up when he was in the German fourth division? Bear in mind that Uzoho went from playing in the Spanish third division (Played 2 laliga games), then to the second division before ending up in Cyprus.. And he is playing for one of the best team in Cyprus that guarantees him regular European football...

You make a lot of nonsensical propositions.

Uzoho was invited to the SE when he was a youth player for Deportiva B, and has not really progressed beyond the Cyprus league.

So because of your low on level league and club plays in European cup it makes him and the club quality, can you listen to yourself.

You have nothing to say .

We could add that Maduka is a Watford EPL goalkeeper on loan at Sparta Rotterdam.

You want to turn daylight to darkness.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

One thing I am almost certain 100% Odion Ighalo is absolutely 200% better than Sadiq Umar, EOD.

Sadiq will prove you wrong in this tourney. Shebi they are the only two strikers? They will both get enough gametime.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

With here and now theory, Maduka should not have gotten the call up at that time. What matters is not Sparta Rotterdam. Let the best player in camp get the slot. Not Sparta Rotterdam.

You want to enthroned mediocrity.

When you play in a low level league for one season you can say you are being discovered. For two seasons in you could say your unlucky but three it's because your not good enough.

You can't be anonymous mouse � in a obscure league and then come to the SE and become Lion it's not happening.

You bring your quality to the SE you do not find it there .

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

You make a lot of nonsensical propositions.

Uzoho was invited to the SE when he was a youth player for Deportiva B, and has not really progressed beyond the Cyprus league.

So because of your low on level league and club plays in European cup it makes him and the club quality, can be you listen to yourself.

You have nothing to say .

We could add that Maduka is a Watford EPL goalkeeper on loan at Sparta Rotterdam.

You want to turn daylight to darkness.

You are talking nonsense...
Uzoho was invited after making 2 laliga appearance for Deportivo first team..he was playing in the Spanish third division then.. He later moved to the second division before ending up in Cyprus..

You are just as hypocritical as hour here and now theory.. You bring it up only when it suits your narrative...
Bloody snake....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:31pm On Jan 12, 2022
drDoom3:

Sadiq will prove you wrong in this tourney. Shebi they are the only two strikers? They will both get enough gametime.

He will first of all have to prove Eguavon wrong .

He is not a bad player but his level is just where it is Segunda which a is simply not high.

In reality he is too poor quality for be the SE. There are Too many player's much better than him, l honestly would have preferred a top striker ftom local league.

I am sure if he you ask Basconvelli, to find a striker in the NPFL better than him he will bring 5 .

Let's call a spade a spade .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bazooka1: 10:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:
Please, beyond Osimhen's Twitter fingers, somebody should help us collect Maduka's phone in Cameroon, because man has decided he wants to be the latest Twitter pandemic

See picture wey una boy dey post, Twitter babes just dey toast am anyhow. And I was getting ready to pity him that he is being harassed.
I thought Nigerian girls preferred dark skin guys to fair boys?
Abi una dey whine una self with all those fair boy's bants online.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 10:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ridiculous stat. So if a team keep passing the ball btw keeper and defenders, it would end up with more possession?

MetalJigsaw:
NIG 1-0 EGY: How Did Egypt Have More Possession Than Nigeria When They Were Completely Outplayed?
News Hub Creator
The Super Eagles of Nigeria were in action against the Pharaohs of Egypt in their opening game of group D in the ongoing African Cup of All Nations tournament in Cameroon.

The game was an easy ride for the Super Eagles of Nigeria even though it was Augustine Eguavoen's first competitive game in charge as interim coach.

But, taking a clearer look at the stats that was revealed after the end of the game, a lot of football analysts opined that the Super Eagles of Nigeria were cheated; the match commentator said it, even Nigerian Legend, Jay Jay Okocha who was acting as matchday analyst, said so.

According to the match stats, Egypt enjoyed 57% possession while Nigeria had only 43% possession. This statistics is not only ridiculous but, a big lie according to many analysts who watched the game. However, what they failed to understand is that the stat was actually correct.

What they are arguing about.

The stats revealed that the Super Eagles of Nigeria had a total number of 15 shots, with five on target, while the Pharaohs of Egypt were only able to manage 4 shots with only two on target.

Another statistics which have also been pointed out is the fact that Nigeria had six corners while the Pharaohs of Egypt only had three.

With all of this, it won't be wrong to ask; how did Egypt have more possession than Nigeria when the Super Eagles of Nigeria clearly outplayed them in the game?

Here is the answer.

According to the stats shown, Egypt actually had more passes than Nigeria, even though the Super Eagles were by far the most superior side in the game. If not for the numerous missed chances in the game, Egypt should have conceded more than 3 goals in the game, that is how pathetic they were today.

However, the method currently used by Opta, which was adopted in the game, is based on the number of passes each teams has in the game.

In this method, two analysts are appointed to monitor the total complete passes for each team, and the value obtained for each teams is separately divided by their sum total and then multiplied by 100.

According to the stats, Egypt had 457 passes while Nigeria had only 334 passes.

In this case, here is an explanation.

Ball possession for Egypt=457/457+334 * 100= 57% for Egypt.

For Nigeria; 334/457+334 *100= 43% since both must sum up to 100%.

I hope with this explanation, you have been able to understand why Egypt had more possession than Nigeria in the game.

What do you have to say about this? Like, share and comment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay1: 10:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
mirinder:
Uganda played a one one draw with iceland. I dare say African football has improved.

LoL. Iceland that has regressed as fast as they went up , after the world cup.

Iceland is no more different from the shitty average European team presently. I wonder what happened to them

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

He will first of all have to prove Eguavon wrong .

He is not a bad player but his level is just where it is Segunda which a is simply not high.

In reality he is too poor quality for be the SE. There are Too many player's much better than him, l honestly would have preferred a top striker ftom local league.

I am sure if he you ask Basconvelli, to find a striker in the NPFL better than him he will bring 5 .

Let's call a spade a spade .
lol like how oyedima was the best player in the world
A beg someone should help interpret this post

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 10:41pm On Jan 12, 2022
And still ended up winning with 1:0 as others.

Stormtrooper11:
Damn. I'm surprised no one is talking about Côté D'ivoire. This team is basically the best AFCON team on "paper". They scored within the first 6 minutes. They look like the tournament favorites.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
maidaboi:

The only interpretation you can get from this post is an image of a supposedly grown up man spilling bile on a faceless forum... Nothing more...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Read and understand. Martins has led the line in attack. So has Peter Crouch, so has Tevez, So has Aguero, So Suarez. So has Forlan.

They all play the nine role differently.

So to you, am I comparing all of them?

By the way, Iheanacho is a better finisher than Benteke. Benteke might have the superman skills but he is not a tidier finisher than Iheanacho.

Goal na goal whether tidy or untidy, ether you use the back of your head and buttocks be to score.

They both have one thing in common they have been disappointing in comparison to thier transfer fees and expectations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2022
maidaboi:

Who said that❓

I did have great expectations for Fred Onyedinma four seasons ago , but he has not lived up to expectation.

I haven't mentioned him for so long , don't know what he is up too. You seem to know please tell us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

Goal na goal whether tidy or untidy, ether you use the back of your head and buttocks be to score.

They both have one thing in common they have been disappointing in comparison to thier transfer fees and expectations.

I can tell you this for free Leicester will not sell KC below 26m
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
komekn:

Who said that❓

I did have great expectations for Fred Onyedinma four seasons ago , but he has not lived up to expectation.

I haven't mentioned him for so long , don't know what he is up too. You seem to know please tell us.
lol the prodigal son has been forgotten
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 10:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

I've been talking about Cote d'Ivoire (maybe not on here Sha), but I've stated multiple times that I see them as a strong team, even though they lost to Cameroon during WCQ

Another team that has played with seriousness aside Nigeria so far.
Exactly! The team got potential. They ain't even playin em' Zaha and Pepe yet. They've technical problems tho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 10:57pm On Jan 12, 2022
mank1234:
And still ended up winning with 1:0 as others.

They played well. Admit that, bruvv
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:02pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

If he explain am finish, wetin dem wan use am do?

Na you dey even reason say dem dey monitor press statements, people that have gone to soak chaplet to avoid that referee from the Mali vs. Tunisia game

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
bazooka1:

I thought Nigerian girls preferred dark skin guys to fair boys?
Abi una dey whine una self with all those fair boy's bants online.

If only it was only Nigerian girls fawning over the guy....man's international now fam

(1) (2) (3) ... (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) (12214) (12215) (12216) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Famocious(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.