Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11723286 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12207) (12208) (12209) (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) ... (16168) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
I did a player rating for the team for any who want to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgMHsJk8zxM

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Firmino plays as a striker for Liverpool without a pair and it has no limited him for creating chances for others.

Yes because he has efficient inverted wingers around him, also Firmino rarely scores.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
maidaboi:
And Moffi

Totally forgot him oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Elock1: 7:32pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Omo awaziem be like 4th choice ooo

You see say na ajayi come in for omeruo
he didn't make the bench.. Probably covid 19
Noble as well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:33pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:

Yes because he has efficient inverted wingers around him, also Firmino rarely scores.

Fortunately, Chukwueze, Simon, Onyekuru, can play as inverted wingers too. They can both go down the flank. While Nacho can support in feeding them.

And, Nacho can score too. Added bonus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 7:34pm On Jan 12, 2022
A ref made a blunder that is putting the reputation of the competition at stake yet a few people have been castigating Tunisia for being upset.
How we end up feeling comfortable in the midst of wrongdoings is alarming

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Fortunately, Chukwueze, Simon, Onyekuru, can play as inverted wingers too. They can both go down the flank. While Nacho can support in feeding them.

And, Nacho can score too. Added bonus.

smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
Sportilitica:
A ref made a blunder that is putting the reputation of the competition at stake yet a few people have been castigating Tunisia for being upset.
How we end up feeling comfortable in the midst of wrongdoings is alarming

Nobody is castigating Tunisia for being upset, we are castigating the idea that it is enough for North Africans to abandon AFCON.

If Tunisia like they can be upset, their anger is not borne out of a need to protect the reputation of the competition, it is because they were 1-0 down when the referee decided to move mad. I dare say, if the madness was in their favour, they would have been chilling.

Meanwhile, when an EPL referee decided to award a penalty after the final whistle, nobody was talking about the reputation of the EPL. Stop giving a hoot about the opinions of Europeans

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:41pm On Jan 12, 2022
Elock1:
he didn't make the bench.. Probably covid 19
Noble as well.
Yeah ,just confirmed that jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2022
Arsenate:

I'm sorry, but why do you say this like it's such an awful thing for sub Saharan Africa? I personally wouldn't mind if they left, tbh. I find them to be sore losers. They can join up the Asian based arabs for all I care.
we are on same table. I never forget wetin dem clubs do enugu rangers and Enyimba in CAF competition na. I'm just saying it as something to expect. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

They should feel free

Na manage we don kuku dey manage them since. We will call Carribbean countries to replace them the way UEFA wants to include South American countries in their Continental competition
lol

A cup of their most given medicine is given them. I expect CAF to not sha disgrace Africa like this next time. That ref looked high.

Anything that would make our competition look sweeter and much better is welcome o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
And somehow NPFL refs never get selected with this kind of ''standard I'm seeing?'' grin

grin

Those ones never ready to eye Gassama's throne. If i were them, I'll be planning on a 5yrs period of doing what's right and using opportunities to ensure attention is gotten to warrant call ups and get centre stage like decades ago.

Na small pocket money dem still dey eye with no progress.

E no go even sweet if dem sabi the job,climb the ladder to big stage and chop, since chop chop na dia desire? grin

Na dem sabi sha. But i can sha shamefully vouch for them not doing this crap in the Tunisian game.

Overall

Caf don blunder in 10games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:
I suggest Eguavoen and his team should not be sacked completely, instead Peseiro should be made the technical director, and Eguavoen the coach

That's what Nff proposed, if Austin performs well, he will continue as Coach, with Peseiro as his TA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
daveP:
lol

A cup of their most given medicine is given them. I expect CAF to not sha disgrace Africa like this next time. That ref looked high.

Anything that would make our competition look sweeter and much better is welcome o

The ref is clearly on hard drugs

I don't know why CAF hired someone that they suspended on allegations of corruption less than 4 years ago. He ought to be stripped of his license for that rubbish officiating today

Tunisians will be fine.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
*In Rohr accent*

''you know Awoniyi is a young player, doing well in Union Berlin in Germany. Already we have Osimhen doing well in Napoli and also Ighalo with his experience, so Taiwo has to learn from them'' cheesy

ChrisKels:
Awoniyi is a power playing centre forward and a press machine just like Osimhen. Though he didn't score yesterday, he was quite impressive. He and Iheanacho gave us some improved IdeyEmenike 2013 vibe.

How Rohr didn't see this is baffling

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
Cool rating but I think you were overly generous to Chukwueze a 5.0 rating would have been just about fair. Didn't have a disaster class but wasn't exactly great either.

BascoVanVeli:
I did a player rating for the team for any who want to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgMHsJk8zxM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:01pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

The ref is clearly on hard drugs

I don't know why CAF hired someone that they suspended on allegations of corruption less than 4 years ago. He ought to be stripped of his license for that rubbish officiating today

Tunisians will be fine.

That's exactly why I made that initial statement about they(Caf) disgracing the competition with uncooked and half baked, self destruct decisions.

How did such a ref get recalled to this stage? If that's how caf is, then they are just being unfair to our NPFL refs then. grin

Caf and Disgracing Africa!!

I heard he's been sanctioned. We fit see the guy in 2024 o. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
Anything that would make Eguavoen take SE to finish in top 3, he should be trusted with taking the team to Qatar, just like the late Keshi was trusted after 2013 triumph.

I like Rohr's 2018 for some reasons especially ease of playing, but Franco-German don bam. The fact that Eguavoen's teammates are even supporting is proof that this time, things are expected to be different.

Dennis is definitely no sleeping well. We not even unleashed Onyeka yet o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ejuke, should be told that they are many paths to glory. An assist can be as good, sometimes even better than the goal itself.

In WCQ against Cameroun, we had a similar break for the 3rd goal as the one we had late in the game yesterday, Mikel sent Victor Moses on his way and Vic Mo laid it for Moses Simon. Moses Simon cut back and passed it to Vic Mo and Vic Mo slotted it home. Just three players with at most 4 touches. Unselfish play, always think of your team mates.

Look at how Iheanacho was laying passes for Awoniyi yesterday.

They should better warn that Ejuke. He should not use his personal glory hunting to scatter our joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1TbcSg1Vgc

20 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
do4luv14:

That's what Nff proposed, if Austin performs well, he will continue as Coach, with Peseiro as his TA

Did the Technical committee need a technical adviser? As in to technical what?

By the way, the coach Eguavoen did not just beat but outplay (I know he did not have data to study Eguavoen) is Carlos Queiroz. As in the Carlos Queiroz who won the U20 World Cup back to back, I think in 89 and 91.

That is the Carlos Queiroz who was the tactician who worked with Ferguson in the most dominant era of Manchester United.

That is the Carlos Queiroz who coached Portugal National team. Coached Real Madrid and the brain behind the development dossier that helped turned the fortunes of Real Madrid.

So why will Eguavoen need Peseiro as his technical adviser?

Let me not think of this NFF/Pinnick thing and let us focus on Sudan.

People make coaching rocket science too big for blacks. As if we don't have local coaches better than some parading themselves as know it all.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ivory Coast goal sweet ooo

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
These dudes are getting the dose of their own medicine . Once they are leading you with 15 minutes to go they start dropping like dead flies..

All they are good at doing is on-field shenanigans and referee intimations. Teams that stay on focus and ignore the extracurricular can and will beat them...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mujtahida:
Ejuke, should be told that they are many paths to glory. An assist can be as good, sometimes even better than the goal itself.

In WCQ against Cameroun, we had a similar break for the 3rd goal as the one we had late in the game yesterday, Mikel sent Victor Moses on his way and Vic Mo laid it for Moses Simon. Moses Simon cut back and passed it to Vic Mo and Vic Mo slotted it home. Just three players with at most 4 touches. Unselfish play, always think of your team mates.

Look at how Iheanacho was laying passes for Awoniyi yesterday.

They should better warn that Ejuke. He should not use his personal glory hunting to scatter our joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1TbcSg1Vgc

If that guy doesn't get Sharp remarks from Coachito, i no go happy seeing him play again sad

He doesn't seem to understand that the ease of playing and getting more glory, plus enjoying his game increases with just setting up his teammates. Abi he think say na Salah hin be?

A refined Ejuke vs Sudan, causing trouble and dropping assists would help him even become less predictable. A solid Defence would sniffle life out of him if he plays on like that. Nobody's doubting his flair sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
Behind the scenes of yesterday's match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmrtbvFsHPg

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:17pm On Jan 12, 2022
NIG 1-0 EGY: How Did Egypt Have More Possession Than Nigeria When They Were Completely Outplayed?
News Hub Creator
The Super Eagles of Nigeria were in action against the Pharaohs of Egypt in their opening game of group D in the ongoing African Cup of All Nations tournament in Cameroon.

The game was an easy ride for the Super Eagles of Nigeria even though it was Augustine Eguavoen's first competitive game in charge as interim coach.

But, taking a clearer look at the stats that was revealed after the end of the game, a lot of football analysts opined that the Super Eagles of Nigeria were cheated; the match commentator said it, even Nigerian Legend, Jay Jay Okocha who was acting as matchday analyst, said so.

According to the match stats, Egypt enjoyed 57% possession while Nigeria had only 43% possession. This statistics is not only ridiculous but, a big lie according to many analysts who watched the game. However, what they failed to understand is that the stat was actually correct.

What they are arguing about.

The stats revealed that the Super Eagles of Nigeria had a total number of 15 shots, with five on target, while the Pharaohs of Egypt were only able to manage 4 shots with only two on target.

Another statistics which have also been pointed out is the fact that Nigeria had six corners while the Pharaohs of Egypt only had three.

With all of this, it won't be wrong to ask; how did Egypt have more possession than Nigeria when the Super Eagles of Nigeria clearly outplayed them in the game?

Here is the answer.

According to the stats shown, Egypt actually had more passes than Nigeria, even though the Super Eagles were by far the most superior side in the game. If not for the numerous missed chances in the game, Egypt should have conceded more than 3 goals in the game, that is how pathetic they were today.

However, the method currently used by Opta, which was adopted in the game, is based on the number of passes each teams has in the game.

In this method, two analysts are appointed to monitor the total complete passes for each team, and the value obtained for each teams is separately divided by their sum total and then multiplied by 100.

According to the stats, Egypt had 457 passes while Nigeria had only 334 passes.

In this case, here is an explanation.

Ball possession for Egypt=457/457+334 * 100= 57% for Egypt.

For Nigeria; 334/457+334 *100= 43% since both must sum up to 100%.

I hope with this explanation, you have been able to understand why Egypt had more possession than Nigeria in the game.

What do you have to say about this? Like, share and comment.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 8:22pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

And Iheanacho should know he stands to earn more if he gets to an offensive side and plays regularly. He has the capacity to earn the hundreds of thousands of pounds weekly. If he can move to where he will get playing time in an offensive system. Keep the contract short
well said sir, I hope those who are close to him will tell him this truth

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
Please, beyond Osimhen's Twitter fingers, somebody should help us collect Maduka's phone in Cameroon, because man has decided he wants to be the latest Twitter pandemic

See picture wey una boy dey post, Twitter babes just dey toast am anyhow. And I was getting ready to pity him that he is being harassed.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 8:30pm On Jan 12, 2022
Damn. I'm surprised no one is talking about Côté D'ivoire. This team is basically the best AFCON team on "paper". They scored within the first 6 minutes. They look like the tournament favorites.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Firmino plays as a striker for Liverpool without a pair and it has no limited him for creating chances for others.

Firmino is also a pressing machine

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:
Any reports on Omeruo's injury?

Awaziem's covid19 too?

Amaziem had a strain....Omeruo na groin...Will be out for 2 weeks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mirinder: 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
ChrisKels:

between firmino and jota who would you start in your team?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
Stormtrooper11:
Damn. I'm surprised no one is talking about Côté D'ivoire. This team is basically the best AFCON team on "paper". They scored within the first 6 minutes. They look like the tournament favorites.

I've been talking about Cote d'Ivoire (maybe not on here Sha), but I've stated multiple times that I see them as a strong team, even though they lost to Cameroon during WCQ

Another team that has played with seriousness aside Nigeria so far.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12207) (12208) (12209) (12210) (12211) (12212) (12213) ... (16168) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: GMBOFASIA, elyte89, kingphilip(m), 2innocent(m), Christology(m), iamdynamite(m), chuks404 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.