Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11667947 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12259) (12260) (12261) (12262) (12263) (12264) (12265) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 7:51pm On Jan 15, 2022
Chukwueze's quality seems to have diminished badly since he broke onto the spotlight. So has his confidence. Man's now scared as hell to take on defenders. I would've accused the coach of restricting him but how come Simon is doing the exact opposite?

I hope Chukwueze's goal today does something positive for his confidence. In the meantime, Iwobi should start ahead of him on that right wing. Plain and simple.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:52pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omanambala:

Think in this direction; [s]if your midfield couldn't click with "world class" Aribo against lowly rated Sudan what will happen when you battle teams with excellent midfield play[/s] , and you are losing those dangerous possession ?...dem go just tear your defense!

Are you sure you watched the game or you are just trying to engage me in a newspaper stand argument?

You fail to realize we have a noticable drop off in our structure when we do those subs in the middle and remove Aribo..

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
Nwakali the back passer should be replaced by frank onyeka going forward

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Omeruo and Maduka need to coordinate themselves. Know which ball to leave for another.

Omeruo doesn't trust him to get the ball and I don't blame him.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:54pm On Jan 15, 2022
codemaniacs:

From what I've seen Nwakali is a central midfielder not an attacking midfielder and a Mikel obi type of a player --- a player who was an attacking midfielder in his youth but has become more of a central midfielder..

At least he was making runs with the ball and playing for the team and also maybe playing too safe for some people on this thread.

One of things we teach young players is versatility and you will find players taking on board several different positions. That means two footed proficiency as well.

That means even in the game you can switch from attack to defence and vice Versa. What makes Ngole Kante the best is his ability to switch roles in a second turning attack to defence in seconds.

Trent Alexander was predominantly a Midfielder at Liverpool, but opportunity came at RB and he has redefined the role, arguably the best RB in the world. He has the most assists in the EPL. That not withstanding a little drop in form and he lost his position in the England team.

You are trying to pidgin hole him into one role. The reality is he isn't good enough for the SE, there is reason he has kept dropping club and league to end up anonymous in the Segunda Division.

It can't be dressed up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omanambala:

I am giving my views and you are telling me to stop....is this tyranny ? I cant give my understandings ? Biko , chill...lol

No , Chidi Ordia was of a different class....lol

Oh am damn sorry,forgetting it was your personal opinion which I must respect.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
At first bolded.... you are wrong. They made the wrong choice and lost the ball too many times. We could always recycle and rebuild through other channels. There was no way the Sudanese were gonna keep us out all game.
We needed to be patient in our buildups to open them up even more. But we rushed it and rushed away out of possession countless times in that first half.

Our goals came from a throw-in Oga, a freekick Oga and a third from the left side thru Awo and Simon combo. So how did the tight space passes that were majorly unsuccessful pay off please? grin

Egbon, admit it. We were not tidy in our possession in that first half. We lost the ball a lot. This is not about Nwakali now..
This is about us playing better going forward.

forgiveness:

First of all, Ndidi and Aribo did the right thing by passing the ball through tight spaces instead of recycling the ball because the Sudanese game plan was to keep us away from their box 18.

That was why they played deep into their half when they didn’t have the ball.

Recycling the ball was actually what they wanted to run down the game or at least win through counter attack through long balls.

We needed to score by creating chances through those tight spaces and it actually paid out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
Barrister026:
I have a question to ask

APART FROM OKOYE don't we have a better Goal keeper?

Abi hu na nor watch the match?

That guy is tensed whenever the opponents attacks.

Even the commentator made mention of it.

If we are going to go far in this tournament.

OKOYE needs to be replaced.

Because if we meet cameron or senegal na Goals we go just dey pack left and right.
Once they penetrate our defense

Why.

Because the goal keeper is still inexperience.

When watch OKOYE in the pitch I see a kid who still needs massive tutoring before putting him as our number 1

I don talk my own.

You all are ignoring.

The day we go collect!!!!

Na that day hu na go start to cry.

Just take a look at the penalty

Dude is the definition of an amateur.

You are correct. He looks shaky in goal and funny how during a set piece, he did not take charge of organizing the wall. That was done by Ekong and Omeruo. I also feel Maduka does not command his box during games.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
Uzoho after playing in the World Cup I expect to handle the pressure better, not to say he is better than Okoye.

Barrister026:
I have a question to ask

Because if we meet cameron or senegal na Goals we go just dey pack left and right.

Why.

When watch OKOYE in the pitch I see a kid who still needs massive tutoring before putting him as our number 1

I don talk my own.

You all are ignoring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 7:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
Chukwueze's quality seems to have diminished badly since he broke onto the spotlight. So has his confidence. Man's now scared as hell to take on defenders. I would've accused the coach of restricting him but how come Simon is doing the exact opposite?

I hope Chukwueze's goal today does something positive for his confidence. In the meantime, Iwobi should start ahead of him on that right wing. Plain and simple.
. So on point.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
dkay51:

When low cross is coming into the box within the 18 with opposing players in the 18. And the CB is in the direct pathway of the ball ( even blocking the keeper's sight of the ball) the responsibility to control, clear and or otherwise rests 100% with the CB not the goalkeeper.

That CB was Omeruo.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
komekn:

One of things we teach young players is versatility and you will find players taking on board several different positions. That means two footed proficiency as well.

That means even in the game you can switch from attack to defence and vice Versa. What makes Ngole Kante the best is his ability to switch roles in a second turning attack to defence in seconds.

Trent Alexander was predominantly a Midfielder at Liverpool, but opportunity came at RB and he has redefined the role, arguably the best RB in the world. He has the most assists in the EPL. That not withstanding a little drop in form and he lost his position in the England team.

You are trying to pidgin hole him into one role. The reality is he isn't good enough for the SE, there is reason he has kept dropping club and league to end up anonymous in the Segunda Division.

It can't be dressed up.

Carry Jorginho and play him attack midfield. It does not work that way
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
Your second paragraph, I noticed that in the first half. The subs was to change the tactics.
TheSuperNerd:

At first bolded.... you are wrong. They made the wrong choice and lost the ball too many times. We could always recycle and rebuild through other channels. There was no way the Sudanese were gonna keep us out all game.
We needed to be patient in our buildups to open them up even more. But we rushed it and rushed away out of possession countless times in that first half.

Our goals came from a throw-in Oga, a freekick Oga and a third from the left side thru Awo and Simon combo. So how did the tight space passes that were majorly unsuccessful pay off please? grin

Egbon, admit it. We were not tidy in our possession in that first half. We lost the ball a lot. This is not about Nwakali now..

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
lloydtruth:
Next match we should go with this lineup
1. Uzoho
2. Ehuehi
3. Collins
4. Onyeka
5. Awaziem
6. Ajayi
7. Olayinka
8. Nwakali
9. Awoniyi
10. Iwobi
11. Onyekuru

Bros u dey vex o...Ejuke nko?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
dkay51:

He has gotten the ball multiple times, so, Omeruo needs to check himself.

Ekong trusts him well enough to get the ball too, so, this is clearly Omeruo's personal problem.

That silly move even caused dirt to enter Okoye's eye wey he dey clean till game end. Why will you throw dirt in your goalie's eye? Wetin he wan use see ball?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
semid4lyfe:
Abeg make dem take araldite gum Sadiq and Nwakali to the bench for the rest of this competition. I have seen enough and come to the conclusion they're farmers and a waste of space in the squad.

Terem Moffi/Cyriel Dessers deserve to be in the squad ahead of Sadiq.

Akinkumi Amoo/Alhassan Yusuf deserve to be in the squad ahead of Nwakali.

Agreed without question ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Barrister026:
I have a question to ask

Why.

I don talk my own.

You all are ignoring.

Seriously... I am afraid of Okoye. His performance is exposing our deficiency. Uzoho should step in the next match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
Maybe Eguavoen should consider being less predictable with his tactics. I mean, i know he has had little time to inculcate different tactics to his team but why keep playing the same damn way even when your opponents have gotten wise to it and have checkmated it?

After that lackluster display for much of the first half, i expected a tactical switch but no. Baba continued with the same old. At this point, Eguavoen tactics have become about as predictable as direction from which the sun will rise tomorrow. How long before he comes up against a decent tactician that will capitalize on this? Sudan nearly did it today. Abeg o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Na the same gra gra help us beat Cameroon last time. None of our current strikers have that.

codemaniacs:

That ruggedness caused led to his injury..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Barrister026:
I have a question to ask

Guy you can write in a sentence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
komekn:

It can't be dressed up.

The day I showed up at my son's training and you are the coach I fit faint!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Joebie:
Uzoho after playing in the World Cup I expect to handle the pressure better, not to say he is better than Okoye.

I hope to see Uzoho against Guinea-Bissau.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
We played differently in the second half. He should have kept Awoniyi longer. Musa sub in was needless.
Curtisaxel10:
Maybe Eguavoen should consider being less predictable with his tactics. I mean, i know he has had little time to inculcate different tactics to his team but why keep playing the same damn way even when your opponents have gotten wise to it and have checkmated it?

After that lackluster display for much of the first half, i expected a tactical switch but no. Baba continued with the same old. At this point, Eguavoen tactics have become about as predictable as direction from which the sun will rise tomorrow. How long before he comes up against a decent tactician that will capitalize on this? Sudan nearly did it today. Abeg o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Please stop this.

Okoye is the Number 1. Support him no matter how uncool you are with him in Goal. To be Frank, he hasn't put a foot wrong in this tournament.

Doctor NO NO.....Okoye I saw today will cost us Afcon unless something is done by technical crew to psyche him up.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
Same here. As well as Olayinka, Onyekuru and Ebuehi.

safarigirl:

I hope to see Uzoho against Guinea-Bissau.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Shelbyboss: 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omanambala:

Because when Aribo was playing the midfield was not existent and that's the whole point of most of our criticism of the team. Aribo is athletic with an eye for goal but our midfield keep suffering. You can play Aribo if you chose to and still win matches but your team will have to rely only on wing play because Aribo is not mobile nor creative...he rarely moves with the ball.

As for Nwakali , you are sure of possession and control of midfield with his inclusion , though he is not a very physical player and is not athletic like Aribo.
I strongly disagree with you for saying Aribo is not creative

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Exactly! Our goals came through throw in and free kick due to those passes through thigh spaces that forced the Sudanese to commit foul and kick the ball out of play.

Recycling the ball would have amounted to nothing. Or why would they have to commit fouls or kick the ball out of play if they didn’t panic?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2022
Mousup40:
Nwakali the back passer should be replaced by frank onyeka going forward

Did you do this intentionally grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Carry Jorginho and play him attack midfield. It does not work that way

Carry Ngole and play him attack and see what happens, the same goes for Wijnaldum now at PSG, As well as Henderson at Liverpool, the same goes Fernadinho, Teilemans, Bissouma, etc ,etc

Good and intelligent players adapt to whatever position they have to play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
I fear if Uzoho replaces Okoye it's game over for Okoye,Rohr's bias has been what kept Okoye between our sticks through many blunders

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
solonnachi:

Seriously... I am afraid of Okoye. His performance is exposing our deficiency. Uzoho should step in the next match
Am very afraid bros, imagine no pressure on him...but he couldn't catch the ball on air.

Instead he let am fall for ground before he catch am.

The guy hands is very shaky.

He lacks CONFIDENCE

Am not even talking about the penalty.

PEOPLE NOT TALKING BECAUSE OF HIS HEIGHTS AND BODY FITNESS.

but he still needs much more training.

Playing him always as our number one on a CRUCIAL GAME LIKE THIS IS A NO NO.

I just dey imagine if na CAMERON we meet

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12259) (12260) (12261) (12262) (12263) (12264) (12265) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Cecco90, shawwal1(m), Philosopher1979, AndSunGorilla and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.