Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12263) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11667121 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12260) (12261) (12262) (12263) (12264) (12265) (12266) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
I made a post days back about Sadiq Umar not been good enough even during the olympics, someone disputed me citing the goals he scored.
See am now....I hope he builds his confidence and continue developing since he's young.

Aina played well buy I'll love to see Ebuehi play too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
E dey pain you nobody is talking about him cheesy even best of the best goalkeepers makes errors go and seat down jooor
Barrister026:
I have a question to ask

APART FROM OKOYE don't we have a better Goal keeper?

Abi hu na nor watch the match?

That guy is tensed whenever the opponents attacks.

Even the commentator made mention of it.

If we are going to go far in this tournament.

OKOYE needs to be replaced.

Because if we meet cameron or senegal na Goals we go just dey pack left and right.
Once they penetrate our defense

Why.

Because the goal keeper is still inexperience.

When watch OKOYE in the pitch I see a kid who still needs massive tutoring before putting him as our number 1

I don talk my own.

You all are ignoring.

The day we go collect!!!!

Na that day hu na go start to cry.

Just take a look at the penalty

Dude is the definition of an amateur.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
I would play Ebuehi and Aina as fullbacks. Nothing against Collins. At this point we are looking to improve the team going into the knockout stage. Don’t change the winning team much. They need more games to gel. Keep the CB pair of Omeruo and Ekong . Make most of the subs early in the second half.
lloydtruth:
Next match we should go with this lineup
1. Uzoho
2. Ehuehi
3. Collins
4. Onyeka
5. Awaziem
6. Ajayi
7. Olayinka
8. Nwakali
9. Awoniyi
10. Iwobi
11. Onyekuru
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
I am surprised to read people having a go at Kelechi Nwakali. I had a totally different impression watching him. To me, he sold himself very well and made a statement.

FLUIDITY

That was the statement he made.

He showed movement to open for passes. Gave the midfield an identity. That is, his presence took us from chaotic to controlled. He made the midfield tick with ideal short passes. He also showed some nice touches too and passing technique. For the time he had, I was impressed.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
Coutinho scores

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
komekn:

Carry Ngole and play him attack and see what happens, the same goes for Wijnaldum now at PSG, As well as Henderson at Liverpool, the same goes Fernadinho, Teilemans, Bissouma, etc ,etc

Good and intelligent players adapt to whatever position they have to play.

Are you saying because Jorginho can not adapt in an offensive role, he is not good an intelligent?

Players have different gifts. In all these names listed above, the only player who can actually control a possessive midfield play is Fernandinho. So because they can adapt to multiple roles but can not adapt to play tidy controlled game, you praise their skill as supreme?

It is not many players that a def at midfield control. It is a skill for elite football brains.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
Kicked the ball out of play all the way from Midfield Forgiveness??!!! Heeeeiiii... Habamana naa... We obviously won the throw in through wing play and not through some unsuccessful bits of tight space passing anything. Kaaaiiii.... Egbon e do abeg. Lol

And recycling does not amount to nothing unless ofcos you only say this to avoid seeing the truth in the need to keep possession tidy unlike what we had in the first half.

Aribo was possibly the only reason we broke through the middle when he drove forward to the box and beat a man with a fine piece of skill to help set up a chance.
But deeper in midfield we struggled to keep control and that is why the CBs remained our best bet for getting the ball upfield in that first half to the Wingers.

Nwakali and Iwobi came in and they were the ones getting the ball upfield through tidy build up plays.

Anyway, Egbon e do abeg. It's okay. Lol

forgiveness:

Exactly! Our goals came through throw in and free kick due to those passes through thigh spaces that forced the Sudanese to commit foul and kick the ball out of play.

Recycling the ball would have amounted to nothing. Or why would they have to commit fouls or kick the ball out of play if they didn’t panic?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
Meanwhile Coutinho and Gerard renunion is a match made in heaven

coutinho came in from the bench and change the game with 1 assist and 1 goal grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
komekn:

One of things we teach young players is versatility and you will find players taking on board several different positions. That means two footed proficiency as well.

That means even in the game you can switch from attack to defence and vice Versa. What makes Ngole Kante the best is his ability to switch roles in a second turning attack to defence in seconds.

Trent Alexander was predominantly a Midfielder at Liverpool, but opportunity came at RB and he has redefined the role, arguably the best RB in the world. He has the most assists in the EPL. That not withstanding a little drop in form and he lost his position in the England team.

You are trying to pidgin hole him into one role. The reality is he isn't good enough for the SE, there is reason he has kept dropping club and league to end up anonymous in the Segunda Division.

It can't be dressed up.

Trent is a pacy player which makes him versatile and a completely different player from Nwakali so it's not wise to compare them . Kante is a multi talented midfielder that can make tackles, interceptions, dribbling, runs with the ball e.t.c

Nigeria has aribo, Aina, ihenacho e.t.c who make runs with the ball and if nwakali plays that way often Nigeria's defense will be broken up easily.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
Let’s not forget Salah is still barren because of Okoye. He looked very composed against Egypt though
Subzero047:
I fear if Uzoho replaces Okoye it's game over for Okoye,Rohr's bias has been what kept Okoye between our sticks through many blunders

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
Kog45:
Doctor NO NO.....Okoye I saw today will cost us Afcon unless something is done by technical crew to psyche him up.

Blame this then on Safarigirl and the other Naija Babes on twitter. Too much distraction for that fine young man. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joxxy01(m): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sometimes i wonder if its thesamse SE match i watched is what many folks here watch... Why will some of you just downplay the impact of Nwakali in this match... Well i stop taking u guys serious, coz it is still same you that called for Moses Simon's head calling for him to dropped and now same Simon is rubbing it on ur faces one by one. Mtchhew

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2022
It's so painful that we could have had Awoniyi and Dessers as our strikers in this tournament, and we wouldn't have had to deal with Sadiq.

Whoever it is that decided to pick Sadiq over Dessers, well done O, we dey see the fruit of your labour. Nonsense and ingredient.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
Just watched Coutinho score against Manchester United on his debut.

Also a certain 18 year old Carney Chukwuemeka in midfield for Villa and I do not know him personally. Small boy is running the midfield.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:20pm On Jan 15, 2022
safarigirl:
It's so painful that we could have had Awoniyi and Dessers as our strikers in this tournament, and we wouldn't have had to deal with Sadiq.

Whoever it is that decided to pick Sadiq over Dessers, well done O, we dey see the fruit of your labour. Nonsense and ingredient.

cheesy cheesy

Sadiq don suffer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:20pm On Jan 15, 2022
Joebie:
Let’s not forget Salah is still barren because of Okoye. He looked very composed against Egypt though

All this Okoye slander is only this loud because of that needless penalty Aina gave away

And they threatened us multiple times, he was up to the task. There was even one clean Corner they took that he rose above everyone else to catch the ball....

Anyway, I am not taking Okoye slander seriously today. Make we see Uzoho next game abeg.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:21pm On Jan 15, 2022
komekn:
Just watched Coutinho score against Manchester United on his debut.

Also a certain 18 year old Carney Chukwuemeka in midfield for Villa and I do not know him personally. Small boy is running the midfield.

Coutinho finding farmers league epl easier than Laliga once again grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2022
safarigirl:

He has gotten the ball multiple times, so, Omeruo needs to check himself.

Ekong trusts him well enough to get the ball too, so, this is clearly Omeruo's personal problem.

That silly move even caused dirt to enter Okoye's eye wey he dey clean till game end. Why will you throw dirt in your goalie's eye? Wetin he wan use see ball?

Uncle Elder Kog45, come and see what I am talking about here.

You see Safarigirl and her sweet concern for Okoye's cute eyes. U see am??!! They are the problem of that young man. Her and the other ladies on SM. They no wan allow am rest... Haba. Just look at... grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
safarigirl:

All this Okoye slander is only this loud because of that needless penalty Aina gave away

And they threatened us multiple times, he was up to the task. There was even one clean Corner they took that he rose above everyone else to catch the ball....

Anyway, I am not taking Okoye slander seriously today. Make we see Uzoho next game abeg.

So they where expecting okoye to save that pk ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheGoodJoe:
I am surprised to read people having a go at Kelechi Nwakali. I had a totally different impression watching him. To me, he sold himself very well and made a statement.

FLUIDITY

That was the statement he made.

He showed movement to open for passes. Gave the midfield an identity. That is, his presence took us from chaotic to controlled. He made the midfield tick with ideal short passes. He also showed some nice touches too and passing technique. For the time he had, I was impressed.

Goodjoe, I knew you would see what I see. I mean. Sometimes... I feel lonely in this place when analysing certain deep game dynamics but then I remember you are still here and would help break things down for these lots.

But dem no go gree ooo. The only way Nwakali would have impressed them is if he had scored. Simple. It's so funny.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Uncle Elder Kog45, come and see what I am talking about here.

You see Safarigirl and her sweet concern for Okoye's cute eyes. U see am??!! They are the problem of that young man. Her and the other ladies on SM. They no wan allow am rest... Haba. Just look at... grin

Nothing concern me and him cuteness, na make he for no blind no fit see ball be my concern.

If say diet enter another person eye, I for still express concern. No be only am fine for pitch, dem plenty
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
safarigirl:

Dis is just aftermath of watching sadiq...had it been sadiq wasnt in d 28 man list..I am very sure almost everybody here including u and me would av cried blue murder..this is just to tell us dt we can't jettison experience for a green horn simply on club form. club form sometimes doesn't translate into national team performance. So with d two matches so far we have just three good strikers in person of osimhen,awoniyi and odas cool

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2022
Our bench can do the job, not meaning to underate Eq. Guinea. But we need every match possible to get better as a team. I would start with most of our starters. The knock out stage will be another ball game. We should take the next game as serious prep match.
safarigirl:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2022
andrewbaba44:

So they where expecting okoye to save that pk ?

The matter tire me O

Clean PK wey that guy play.

The only fail in that defense today was from Aina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2022
elyte89:

Dis is just aftermath of watching sadiq...had it been sadiq wasnt in d 28 man list..I am very sure almost everybody here including u and me would av cried blue murder..this is just to tell us dt we can't jettison experience for a green horn simply on club form. club form sometimes doesn't translate into national team performance. So with d two matches so far we have just three good strikers in person of osimhen,awoniyi and odas cool

I don't know Sadiq like that to be crying blue murder if he did not make the list, and I can assure you that Dessers would have done so much better

I definitely would not have cared about Sadiq either way.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
Egypt are no contenders
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2022
Joebie:
Egypt are no contenders

I talk am before afcon

But my people here no let me hear word
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DABIGATRAN(m): 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
He is good. The only thing is that the team's tactics does not favour his playing style. He is not the fastest player in the world but he has good footwork. I even think an Aribo could play off him if fielded in advanced position.
Boomgist:
I made a post days back about Sadiq Umar not been good enough even during the olympics, someone disputed me citing the goals he scored.
See am now....I hope he builds his confidence and continue developing since he's young.

Aina played well buy I'll love to see Ebuehi play too

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
Joezinho:

Ndidi couldn't hide his frustration. His fans are saying he looked calm on the ball , maintained possession , blah blah..

Make we jam country like Cameroon. Nwakali will be so badly exposed. Everybody will get to see he's a wack player.. Imagine frank the Tank on the bench and you are bringing Nwakali into the game..

Dude does not have the energy to play against top level opposition. We will see it soon. Let Eguaveon continue to give him exposure at the expense of our team play.
They have start....jam country like Cameroon...I hear
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2022
Any team that beats Cameroon in front of their crowd deserves the crown.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Kicked the ball out of play all the way from Midfield Forgiveness??!!! Heeeeiiii... Habamana naa... We obviously won the throw in through wing play and not through some unsuccessful bits of tight space passing anything. Kaaaiiii.... Egbon e do abeg. Lol

And recycling does not amount to nothing unless ofcos you only say this to avoid seeing the truth in the need to keep possession tidy unlike what we had in the first half.

Aribo was possibly the only reason we broke through the middle when he drove forward to the box and beat a man with a fine piece of skill to help set up a chance.
But deeper in midfield we struggled to keep control and that is why the CBs remained our best bet for getting the ball upfield in that first half to the Wingers.

Nwakali and Iwobi came in and they were the ones getting the ball upfield through tidy build up plays.

Anyway, Egbon e do abeg. It's okay. Lol

Rewatch the match then read the game.

At the initial stage of the game, we were just recycling the ball. True or false?

Why? Because our wingers were double marked which forced them to pass the ball backward and continued the recycling. True or false?

What did Eguavoen do? He told the wing backs to push forward to support the wingers and Aribo also drifted towards the wings to add more support? True or false?

What was their aim? To pass in between those tight spaces and at the same time force fouls or get set pieces closer to the box 18? True or false?

Did they practice for set pieces? Yes! We saw how Ekong kept getting the ball through set pieces which led to both goals. True or false?

This was a well orchestrated game plan from the coach because they envisaged the Sudanese might park the ball and get us through counter attacks.

Recycling the ball is only good when you are leading or you want to settle the game.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DABIGATRAN(m): 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2022
It's Guinea Bissau sir, the Portuguese Guinea.
Joebie:
Our bench can do the job, not meaning to underate Eq. Guinea. But we need every match possible to get better as a team. I would start with most of our starters. The knock out stage will be another ball game. We should take the next game as serious prep match.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12260) (12261) (12262) (12263) (12264) (12265) (12266) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.