Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,833 members, 7,837,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12299) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11796570 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12296) (12297) (12298) (12299) (12300) (12301) (12302) ... (16205) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 2:23pm On Jan 17, 2022
forgiveness:

Na wa oooo. How can Osimhen win best player of the year and best attacker of the year ahead of Paul Onuachu who had 29 goals (in the league), 4 assists and 7 motm last year?

Or ahead of Kelechi Iheanacho who scored 19 goals, 8 assists and with more than 2 motms?

Was it by the 10 goals, 4 assists and 2 Motm Osimhen had last that made him win those categories or na by pure undiluted sentiment?

Because me I no understand oooo.

Crying more than the bereaved...lol

You want to tell us you are looking for Onuachu .....lmao angry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 2:34pm On Jan 17, 2022
forgiveness:

Na wa oooo. How can Osimhen win best player of the year and best attacker of the year ahead of Paul Onuachu who had 29 goals (in the league), 4 assists and 7 motm last year?

Or ahead of Kelechi Iheanacho who scored 19 goals, 8 assists and with more than 2 motms?

Was it by the 10 goals, 4 assists and 2 Motm Osimhen had last that made him win those categories or na by pure undiluted sentiment?

Good questions you raised here.

But I think he is not the right person you should ask. Ask the people who voted him as the best attacker

My 2 cents though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 2:37pm On Jan 17, 2022
kingphilip:

Good questions you raised here.

But I think he is not the right person you should ask. Ask the people who voted him as the best attacker

My 2 cents though.

Ask him how many goals did Onuachu scored for SE in 2021.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:40pm On Jan 17, 2022
Joezinho:

Do you even know the role of a midfield conductor?
MFC acts as the controller and dictates tempo from midfield.

Quick one-touch passing and movement to allow his teammates to bypass the opposition press and progress the ball vertically up the pitch.

Oga, bye..

I just need to address this post, if not for anything, educational reasons for people to understand the tactics behind your statement.

VERTICALLY UP THE PITCH

This is what some people mean by playing with purpose. However, it is beyond advancing the ball up the pitch but breaking the opposition defense. Now, if you just move the ball up the pitch with passes, you run the risk of giving up possession. Not just that, you will lose possession. So, there is a need for back passes to:
1. Retain possession. You need to keep possession if you intend to break down the defense. You control the ball to cleverly break an organized side.

2. Exploit gaps. With clever retention of the ball, you get to exploit gaps finally created from it.

So a midfield conductor's role is to make this happen. He plays a big part in retaining possession, keeping the team's passing organized, and spotting gaps for the team to exploit.

Note, spotting gaps have to do with finding his own players in space.

Watch the masterpiece below by Barcelona and watch the art of keeping possession in practice and how they broke down a very organized Liverpool with clever play and patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPHGr6xqC8

cc: TheSuperNerd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2022
Guys, why is that Afcon Hosted by southern and western African is more entertaining than that, hosted by the north?

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2022
forgiveness:

It is a democracy which means people will vote because of influence on them. Yes, Kelechi Iheanacho and Onuachu were brilliant. However, remember Osimhen is the one flying the Green White Green ahead of other strikers.

So his brilliance playing for the National team will influence a lot of people voting for I think the top goal scorer for the National team last year. Coupled with the fact he had a fairly good year with Napoli. It is no brainer why the voting public chose Osimhen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:51pm On Jan 17, 2022
jubilantagida:
If you listened, I read out the news about the award on my sports show.

Icon4s
Danielnino

Amazing. Thank you. Everybody say Baba Twaile

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GeneralDae: 2:56pm On Jan 17, 2022
timay1:

To be fair, I can count on one hand up to 3 to 5 local coaches better than Rohr and those substandard foreign coaches we usually hire. Their problem is that they always lack sufficient backing from the NFF,as well as the fact that they sometimes work against themselves by calling up low quality players ahead of better ones because of peanuts they'll get from players agents, thereby hampering themselves in the process. I don't know if it's village people dey cause am.

if these guys can give themselves brains and reduce their corruption small, we won't need to hire any washed up white coach for the next decade.
My problem with most of these coaches is the packing the bus style they adopt to a fault. The Super Falcons are also now suffering thesame problem. It works for European teams and the USA but not for our national teams. I believe only Dutch coaches (who know what they are doing) can do well in Nigeria ( because of the similarity in style).
Coaches like Mourinho for instance, even during his prime, would have struggled to achieve great results from the beginning with the super eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:16pm On Jan 17, 2022
jubilantagida:

Icon4s
Danielnino

In response to TheGoodJoe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2022
jubilantagida:

Icon4s
Danielnino
Your name is written in Gold. Thanks man.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2022
I can't speak for other people but on my own part I voted not just based on club achievements but also impact with the national team.

Taking both club form and national team performances into consideration holistically I think Osimhen more than merits being named player of the year.

Kudos to Onuachu he had an awesome year just think Victor was better.

*modified* For best striker I choose KC

forgiveness:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2022
do4luv14:
Guys, why is that Afcon Hosted by southern and western African is more entertaining than that, hosted by the north?
When it is hosted in North Africa, countries from that region dominate. Weather is always a factor. And when it is brought down to sub-saharan Africa it is thrown open. Those North African teams that usually look like Spain Start playing like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt again grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 3:26pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

When it is hosted in North Africa, countries from that region dominate. Weather is always a factor. And when it is brought down to sub-saharan Africa it is thrown open. Those North African teams that usually look like Spain Start playing like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt again grin

So weather is the reason why these North African countries play bad and poor in the World Cup too??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:29pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

gringringrin. Correct, reason Algeria are going home early
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:30pm On Jan 17, 2022
safarigirl:

Equatorial Guinea just stole the headlines from Sierra Leone yesterday

Because they beat a defending champion.

I still feel that 4:4 draw with Nigeria in Benin-City changed Sierra Leonean football. They suddenly started believing in themselves.

Imagine playing draws with Nigeria twice, drawing also with Algeria and CIV. They have played the strongest teams on the continent! So what else!?

But....I think Equatorial Guinea can beat them cos Sierra Leone will come all out to secure a win and not to play another draw and get exposed in the process.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

So weather is the reason why these North African countries play bad and poor in the World Cup too??

No not only weather, but it certainly was a factor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

It is a democracy which means people will vote because of influence on them. Yes, Kelechi Iheanacho and Onuachu were brilliant. However, remember Osimhen is the one flying the Green White Green ahead of other strikers.

So his brilliance playing for the National team will influence a lot of people voting for I think the top goal scorer for the National team last year. Coupled with the fact he had a fairly good year with Napoli. It is no brainer why the voting public chose Osimhen.

Influence of his goals in the National team on the decision for choosing Osimhen ahead of others. I see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
Osimhen to score today

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
do4luv14:

gringringrin. Correct, reason Algeria are going home early

They need a win against a wounded Ivorian team. I doubt Algeria can secure that win. That game go be like Final! grin na to grab my popcorn. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:34pm On Jan 17, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

Weather is always one of the several factors why they dominate each time the AFCON is hosted in North Africa. You cannot rule that out. When a tournament is played elsewhere you see them struggling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:40pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

They need a win against a wounded Ivorian team. I doubt Algeria can secure that win. That game go be like Final! grin na to grab my popcorn. grin

No be lie, let's see who the element of luck will favour
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2022
Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone, Guinea-Bissau, and Gambia all have one thing in common.

They are all small nations and are in the AFCON to announce their names to the rest of the world. Underrate them and get purnished! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 3:46pm On Jan 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I just need to address this post, if not for anything, educational reasons for people to understand the tactics behind your statement.

VERTICALLY UP THE PITCH

This is what some people mean by playing with purpose. However, it is beyond advancing the ball up the pitch but breaking the opposition defense. Now, if you just move the ball up the pitch with passes, you run the risk of giving up possession. Not just that, you will lose possession. So, there is a need for back passes to:
1. Retain possession. You need to keep possession if you intend to break down the defense. You control the ball to cleverly break an organized side.

2. Exploit gaps. With clever retention of the ball, you get to exploit gaps finally created from it.

So a midfield conductor's role is to make this happen. He plays a big part in retaining possession, keeping the team's passing organized, and spotting gaps for the team to exploit.

Watch the masterpiece below by Barcelona and watch the art of keeping possession in practice and how they broke down a very organized Liverpool with clever play and patience.

Thank you for this.

When Pep was in bayern, Lahm became his organising midfielder, the fulcrum around which the whole team moves...More like what Aribo does for the SE right now. Only the most intelligent players can pull off this difficult role, which demands one player that does everything that both holding midfielders do – the ball retention, positioning and intercepting – in the 4-2-3-1 setup that Pep seldom uses because it’s not attacking enough.

But when he really wanted total domination of the ball, he would choose Thiago as conductor because he maintains possession..

I think we started having this argument when you mentioned that Nwakali was brought in to stabilize the chaotic midfield and how back passes are key to retaining possession.

My own argument was we are no man city or Barcelona. It is ideal for them especially when you consider how tactically and technically adept these teams are. They are comfortable playing the ball back to Ederson, Neuer and their centre halves, because they're technically strong on both feet.

Can we continue this kind of system without making mistakes?Can our goalie and CBs continue this kind of ball retention tactics without making mistakes for our opponents to pounce on?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Jan 17, 2022
We could drop a thousand videos explaining this My good old friend and they might still not get it.

Let me also chip in that the other players must constantly be in motion and looking to also fall into those gaps/spaces in order to enable Decent connections with passes that will inevitably spring up from such Midfield conducting display.
Without the movements, seeing those gaps will be useless.
And there is no perfect Midfield conduction without a couple of backpasses to reorganise, rebuild and switch flow of play.
Moving forward without a maneuver plan when met with a Brickwall is tantamount to rubbish. Will cause a lot of possession lost and could even lead to turnovers that cause goals concession.

Again you picked a Masterclass video to show the art of conduction using backpasses, patient build up, long balls and play switches.

Beautiful as always, Boss. Now you have mail. Please check. Merci. wink

TheGoodJoe:

VERTICALLY UP THE PITCH

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:53pm On Jan 17, 2022
safarigirl:

They have opened multiple Twitter Spaces to rant, one is in French, the other one they are ranting in English and swearing that Morocco is the only North African team that can win AFCON, dem no even rate Tunisia.

So sad that it has not occurred to these descendants of Ishmael that none of them will smell that AFCON trophy.
Multiple Twitter spaces to express multiple pains. They won't go past first round.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

Weather is always one of the several factors why they dominate each time the AFCON is hosted in North Africa. You cannot rule that out. When a tournament is played elsewhere you see them struggling.
I understand it's a factor against their success, but they do need to adapt. Egypt has won the AFCON in Central and West Africa. There is need for adaptation. I do believe this one might just be a "Winner's curse"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2022
do4luv14:

No not only weather, but it certainly was a factor
Yeah, your point is understood.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2022
chrisooblog:
I can't speak for other people but on my own part I voted not just based on club achievements but also impact with the national team.

Taking both club form and national team performances into consideration holistically I think Osimhen more than merits being named player of the year.

Kudos to Onuachu he had an awesome year just think Victor was better.

*modified* For best striker I choose KC

I voted for osimhen and I think people voted base on national team performance

For national team osimhen was far better

For clubside onuachu was far better than everyone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2022
Nigeria's Super Eagles played 10 games in 2021.

(Left out the Home based Eagles game vs Mexico coz it wasn't the main squad)

2 Afcon Qualifiers, 2 friendlies and 6 WC Qualifiers.

Osimhen missed d 2 friendlies but featured in all the competitive games (The Qualifiers) - 8 games for Victor.

Nigeria scored 13 goals in these 10 games, wining 6, drawing 2, losing 2.

Osimhen had a direct hand in 6 of those 13 goals scored - He bagged 5 goals + 1 assist (Transfermrkt credited Victor with another assist vs Benin but I didn't use it coz it was a rebound).

The other 8 goals scored came via Iheanacho (2), Musa (1), Balogun (1), Etebo (1), Onuachu (2), Own Goal (1).

Also,

- Victor finished as Nigeria's top scorer in the Afcon Qualifiers wrap up in March with 5 goals + 5 assists (Joint Top in Africa as well for goals).

And...

- Finished as Nigeria's Top Scorer in the WC Qualifiers 2nd round with 4 goals in 6 games.

No one made more impact in the calendar year of 2021 in the GWG than Victor. And then add this to his club performances.

He more than deserves the crown. So deal with it. wink

forgiveness:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2022
IDENNAA:

I don't play by your rules or anybodys. If you have no self control and had no temperament to engage in public discussion and maintain etiquette, then you should not speak out.

What you are trying to do is tell people not to air their views because some persons can't control their behaviours. This is insane and rettarded at same time.

Again , Nwakali is the most gifted midfielder in the team. If you don't like it drown yourselves.....this is not kindergarten , oga!

I don't give a minute fuvvk about how you feel. Do you see me lose my mind and start insulting people who insult my favourite players.

You people cant turn Nigeria into a zombie and and animal republic just because you are witless!
go sit down for Bush. Na who follow madman fight nor know where dey pain am. Keep waiting for Aribo to have a bad game so you can continue mastubating on the thread. As a Nwakali fan we disown you. Carry your juvenile brain go play with sand.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2022
Joezinho:

Thank you for this.

When Pep was in bayern, Lahm became his organising midfielder, the fulcrum around which the whole team moves...More like what Aribo does for the SE right now. Only the most intelligent players can pull off this difficult role, which demands one player that does everything that both holding midfielders do – the ball retention, positioning and intercepting – in the 4-2-3-1 setup that Pep seldom uses because it’s not attacking enough.

But when he really wanted total domination of the ball, he would choose Thiago as conductor because he maintains possession..

I think we started having this argument when you mentioned that Nwakali was brought in to stabilize the chaotic midfield and how can back passes are key to retaining possession.

My own argument was we are no man city or Barcelona. It is ideal for them especially when you consider how tactically and technically adept these teams are. They are comfortable playing the ball back to Ederson, Neuer and their centre halves, because they're technically strong on both feet.

Can we continue this kind of system without making mistakes?Can our goalie and CBs continue this kind of ball retention tactics without making mistakes for our opponents to pounce on?

The truth is that we must start from somewhere. We can not say because we are not with gifted technical players that we totally abandon a system that can help us flourish.

As we continue building our retention system, we will have players adapting more to it and also developing their technical skills.

Ekong is a good example. In Rohr's system most thought he was an awful passer. Under Eguavoen, no one will argue it. So, we keep building from there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 4:02pm On Jan 17, 2022
kellycute:
go sit down for Bush. Na who follow madman fight nor know where dey pain am. Keep waiting for Aribo to have a bad game so you can continue mastubating on the thread. As an Nwakali fan we disown you. Carry your juvenile brain go play with sand.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12296) (12297) (12298) (12299) (12300) (12301) (12302) ... (16205) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: samdolad(m), charlesemeka85(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.