Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,786 members, 7,837,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12300) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11796136 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12297) (12298) (12299) (12300) (12301) (12302) (12303) ... (16204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:04pm On Jan 17, 2022
ChrisKels:
If you were an Igbo, especially those from the southern part of the Igbo nation, then, it is possible a distant cousin of yours played in this match to end Algeria's unbeaten run.

My father's uncle never returned from Panya and he bore many children from many women in Fernanda Po(Malabo) just like many other Igbos who left for that country and never returned due to the sweet life over there. Na dem dey do Dorime that year. Today, the Igbo language is one of the recognized local(native) languages of the people of Panya( Equatorial Guinea)[/b]
Was this before or during the war cos I understand that many Igbos fled to EG during the war and Caritas used EG's airport for many of its humanitarian endeavors during the war

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Businesselites2: 4:06pm On Jan 17, 2022
Cameroon Businesses Hope for Economic Boost as it Hosts AFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has begun the 33rd edition of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), the continent’s biennial men’s football tournament. A lot of Cameroon businesses are trusting that the economic activities resulting from AFCON will help boost their businesses.

Thousands of football fans are trooping into Cameroon to support their national teams, bringing with them the potential for a significant economic boost. Some traders, like 23-year-old Issa Hamadou, who used to sell cooked eggs downtown Yaounde, has switched to sportswear, which he trusts will be a profitable business once the games begin.

https://businesselitesafrica.com/cameroon-businesses-hope-for-economic-boost-as-it-hosts-afcon/

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:06pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

Wrong. They crashed out of the group stage in 1992 and not 1994.

For Nigeria:
After winning in 1980, we crashed out at the group stage in 1982.
After winning in 1994 we didn't participate in 1996 due to diplomatic issues with South Africa.
After winning in 2013 we didn't qualify for 2015.

For Ghana:
After winning in 1982 they crashed out at the group stage in 1984.

For Egypt:
After winning in 1986, they crashed out at the group stage in 1988.

For Cameroon: after winning in 1988 they crashed out at the group stage in 1990

For Zambia: after winning in 2012, they crashed out at the group stage in 2013

For Ivory coast: after winning in 2015 they crashed out at group stage in 2017.

These are the ones I can point out from off my fingers with certainty.

Others like:
Tunisia after winning in 1978 didn't do well in 1980

Cameroon after winning in 1984 didn't do well in 1986.

So this has been a trend, probably complacency from the defending champions.
Winner's curse. Plays out at the WC too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:10pm On Jan 17, 2022
safarigirl:
Eto'o congratulated Nigeria
According to Segun Odegbami it was Eto'o and the CAF president who stood their ground insisting that AFCON must go on when some FA Presidents in cahoots with Infantino wanted the Afcon postponed. Eto'o is a remarkable guy. Ever since I saw him play and bruise us at Afcon 2000, I just loved the guy. Seems the guy is stubborn

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamdynamite(m): 4:12pm On Jan 17, 2022
The mild fielders i would love to see on wednesday.

Onyeka
Nwakali
Iwobi

These guys should get the job done against guinea bissau..

Attack should be henry on the right, ejuke on the left awoniyi leading the line…

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 4:13pm On Jan 17, 2022
It's all good my people.

I just felt an opportunity presented itself to me to contribute a little to the uplifting of what we have been doing on this thread.

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2022
Mujtahida:

According to Segun Odegbami it was Eto'o and the CAF president who stood their ground insisting that AFCON must go on when some FA Presidents in cahoots with Infantino wanted the Afcon postponed. Eto'o is a remarkable guy. Ever since I saw him play and bruise us at Afcon 2000, I just loved the guy. Seems the guy is stubborn
Good to know well Eto earned his respect and reputation in world football and also know the importance of the afcon to his continent and people so he stood for the truth which always prevail all we can hope for is to have our own ex international's who has Same respect and pedigree mount and handle the affairs at the nff Glass House and will always stand for the truth wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GeneralDae: 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

Because they beat a defending champion.

I still feel that 4:4 draw with Nigeria in Benin-City changed Sierra Leonean football. They suddenly started believing in themselves.

Imagine playing draws with Nigeria twice, drawing also with Algeria and CIV. They have played the strongest teams on the continent! So what else!?

But....I think Equatorial Guinea can beat them cos Sierra Leone will come all out to secure a win and not to play another draw and get exposed in the process.
Equatorial Guinea is a better team than Sierra leone, they also gave Ivory Coast more headache than Sierra leone. Sierra leone would find Equatorial Guinea a handful. Infact this was the real group of death all along.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2022
kellycute:
go sit down for Bush. Na who follow madman fight nor know where dey pain am. Keep waiting for Aribo to have a bad game so you can continue mastubating on the thread. As a Nwakali fan we disown you. Carry your juvenile brain go play with sand.

cheesycheesycheesy what an uppercut cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:20pm On Jan 17, 2022
iamdynamite:
The mild fielders i would love to see on wednesday.

Onyeka
Nwakali
Iwobi

These guys should get the job done against guinea bissau..

Attack should be henry on the right, ejuke on the left awoniyi leading the line…

My opinion about that Guinea-Bissau game is not to make too many changes to the starting lineup. It is very important that we maintain consistency and win that game against Guinea Bissau. We need to continue to build that momentum and maintain that winning spirit, also for more team cohesion.

I think Eguavoen should maintain that same backline and Ndidi- Aribo Midfield Combo. One of the starting wingers may start from the bench and We may give Sadiq a starting role for him to fully prove himself. For me, not more than 3 changes to the starting line up and it should be in the advanced positions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 17, 2022
do4luv14:
Guys, why is that Afcon Hosted by southern and western African is more entertaining than that, hosted by the north?

Those guys nor too send sub saharan Africa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:21pm On Jan 17, 2022
GeneralDae:

Equatorial Guinea is a better team than Sierra leone, they also gave Ivory Coast more headache than Sierra leone. Sierra leone would find Equatorial Guinea a handful. Infact this was the real group of death all along.

correct my good General, yes it was, and yet nobody sees it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2022
GeneralDae:

I agree with you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2022
Surebaba01:

Those guys nor too send sub saharan Africa

nobody send as how,
why does they struggle whenever Sub Saharan Africa host

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2022
jubilantagida:
It's all good my people.

I just felt an opportunity presented itself to me to contribute a little to the uplifting of what we have been doing on this thread.

Allow me offer my own "well done". Thanks for giving the NNFF awards some good publicity outside NL. Kudos.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

Darkelf won't show his face here until we lost a game...People like him that predict gloom and doom all the time don't actually have the balls to stay and watch their predictions go down the drain..
It isn't even just him..There were some folks here who predicted doom for the team because they feel Eguavon being a local coach would compromise the team...
I think thesupernerd is right. Elfy does it as a coping mechanism. It's just that he rubs it in our faces and kinda gloats when we experience a loss.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:28pm On Jan 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

I'll really like us to try a 3 man midfield against Guinea Bissau...It will really be more applicable for the heavy pressing style we have developed .. Especially with a workaholic like Onyeka in the team..
We better vary our game some bit. Teams will wise up to our wing play and develop strategies to contain us. All our goals have come from the wings. 2 man midfield of Aribo and Ndidi is quite thin and can be overrun easily by a tactically sound coach.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
True, using two man midfield is a gamble. We might suffer heavily if we don't change that

Mujtahida:

We better vary our game some bit. Teams will wise up to our wing play and develop strategies to contain us. All our goals have come from the wings. 2 man midfield of Aribo and Ndidi is quite thin and can be overrun easily by a tactically sound coach.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:33pm On Jan 17, 2022
kellycute:
go sit down for Bush. Na who follow madman fight nor know where dey pain am. Keep waiting for Aribo to have a bad game so you can continue mastubating on the thread. As a Nwakali fan we disown you. Carry your juvenile brain go play with sand.

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamdynamite(m): 4:34pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

My opinion about that Guinea-Bissau game is not to make too many changes to the starting lineup. It is very important that we maintain consistency and win that game against Guinea Bissau. We need to continue to build that momentum and maintain that winning spirit, also for more team cohesion.

I think Eguavoen should maintain that same backline and Ndidi- Aribo Midfield Combo. One of the starting wingers may start from the bench and We may give Sadiq a starting role for him to fully prove himself. For me, not more than 3 changes to the starting line up and it should be in the advanced positions.
i feel we shouldn’t allow the starters get burnt out before the elimination stage, remember they most of them are coming from a tight busy schedule, especially the ones playing in the premiership.

I feel having secured top spot, we should allow other guys express themselves as well, who knows there might be a hidden gem somewhere who will likely give the starters a run for their money
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:35pm On Jan 17, 2022
Mujtahida:

I think thesupernerd is right. Elfy does it as a coping mechanism. It's just that he rubs it in our faces and kinda gloats when we experience a loss.
Someone that does not have the face to come and celebrate here when we win and only wait for us to lose so he can come here and say "I said it". Abeg that is a simple definition of lack of patriotism. I know some may argue he is being objective but he is always fond of looking only at our negatives, magnifying it and ignoring our positives.

I just hope we can win the AFCON so he can go on permanent exile grin or until the World Cup when he comes up again with his negative vibes.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:35pm On Jan 17, 2022
timay1:

To be fair, I can count on one hand up to 3 to 5 local coaches better than Rohr and those substandard foreign coaches we usually hire. Their problem is that they always lack sufficient backing from the NFF,as well as the fact that they sometimes work against themselves by calling up low quality players ahead of better ones because of peanuts they'll get from players agents, thereby hampering themselves in the process. I don't know if it's village people dey cause am.

if these guys can give themselves brains and reduce their corruption small, we won't need to hire any washed up white coach for the next decade.
Most of the white coaches are low quality leveraging on the color of their skin to get coaching stints in Africa.
And our local coaches should up their game and shun corruption small or do it with sense by insisting on quality at all times.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GeneralDae: 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2022
Mujtahida:

I also think Ejuke on his day is slightly better than Chuckwueze. Also, I think we can use Iwobi as an attacking midfielder. Having a 3 man midfield of Ndidi, Aribo/Nwakali and Iwobi. This is a 4-3-3 formation with Awoniyi as center forward. The only problem with this formation is what to do with Ihenacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2022
Joezinho:

Thank you for this.

When Pep was in bayern, Lahm became his organising midfielder, the fulcrum around which the whole team moves...More like what Aribo does for the SE right now. Only the most intelligent players can pull off this difficult role, which demands one player that does everything that both holding midfielders do – the ball retention, positioning and intercepting – in the 4-2-3-1 setup that Pep seldom uses because it’s not attacking enough.

But when he really wanted total domination of the ball, he would choose Thiago as conductor because he maintains possession..

I think we started having this argument when you mentioned that Nwakali was brought in to stabilize the chaotic midfield and how can back passes are key to retaining possession.

My own argument was we are no man city or Barcelona. It is ideal for them especially when you consider how tactically and technically adept these teams are. They are comfortable playing the ball back to Ederson, Neuer and their centre halves, because they're technically strong on both feet.

Can we continue this kind of system without making mistakes?Can our goalie and CBs continue this kind of ball retention tactics without making mistakes for our opponents to pounce on?

You kept repeating this stale back pass story as if Nwakali made more back passes than forward pass.

Aribo made more pack passes and lost moro possession than Nwakali you are criticizing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:38pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

Someone that does not have the face to come and celebrate here when we win and only wait for us to lose so he can come here and say "I said it". Abeg that is a simple definition of lack of patriotism. I know some may argue he is being objective but he always fond of looking only at our negatives, magnify it and ignore our positives.

I just hope we can win the AFCON so he can go on permanent exile grin or until the World Cup when he comes up again with his negative vibes.
I doubt he can be said to be objective sef. one track minded persons are rarely objective. If a man is always seeing the dark side of things, he can't be said to be objective.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2022
Cheers to you chairman
jubilantagida:
It's all good my people.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2022
jubilantagida:
If you listened, I read out the news about the award on my sports show.

Icon4s
Danielnino
Thanks brother. You do well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:41pm On Jan 17, 2022
Icon4s:

I also want aina to be rested so Ebuehi can play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 4:43pm On Jan 17, 2022
IDENNAA:

You kept repeating this stale back pass story as if Nwakali made more back passes than forward pass.

Aribo made more pack passes and lost moro possession than Nwakali you are criticizing.

Did they have the same minutes on the pitch? Bring out their stats and minutes played. Oga rest abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2022
iamdynamite:
i feel we shouldn’t allow the starters get burnt out before the elimination stage, remember they most of them are coming from a tight busy schedule, especially the ones playing in the premiership.

I feel having secured top spot, we should allow other guys express themselves as well, who knows there might be a hidden gem somewhere who will likely give the starters a run for their money

I would rather put consideration on players who are already on yellow card so as not to receive another and get suspended for the second round game. But for being burnt out? Come on these are professionals bro. The AFCON is just a maximum of 6games.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 4:45pm On Jan 17, 2022
Mujtahida:

Was this before or during the war cos I understand that many Igbos fled to EG during the war and Caritas used EG's airport for many of its humanitarian endeavors during the war

Panya:

Life was frivolous lived by many migrants from the Igbo land who came to work in Espanol/Panya. Like ChrisKels rightly stated , many didn't return due to high life they were engrossed in. The women of panya supplied the prostitute whom the workers patronized , and even the white colonialists could not resist. Ukwu was supplied in abundance...lol

Of the numbers that made it back to Igbo land , most returned with little fortune, a weird sense of fashion or their musical influence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 4:45pm On Jan 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

The truth is that we must start from somewhere. We can not say because we are not with gifted technical players that we totally abandon a system that can help us flourish.

As we continue building our retention system, we will have players adapting more to it and also developing their technical skills.

Ekong is a good example. In Rohr's system most thought he was an awful passer. Under Eguavoen, no one will argue it. So, we keep building from there.

Alright bro. Respect.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12297) (12298) (12299) (12300) (12301) (12302) (12303) ... (16204) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Alfryd, Silentgroper(m), BankyGee(m), foxman04, chrisooblog, Goke7 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.