Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,176 members, 7,849,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11860240 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12310) (12311) (12312) (12313) (12314) (12315) (12316) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:14pm On Jan 18, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

I can understand it both ways. I am sure Mane and Keita voted Mendy.

Mane didn't vote because he isn't Senegal's captain

I can't find Guinea's vote for some reason
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
Subzero047:

Nawa o, people don't have freedom to vote again, just because they are from Africa they must blindly vote every African contestant?

U are the one who wants them to vote blindly. We want them to open their eyes and see that Unless we stick together in player votings we won't win much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
Mujtahida:

Yes I noticed that he was drifting more into the center and creating space for him and Aina to make those one-two interchanges. But come to think of it if Iwobi can create space from the flanks, I think he'd do great damage if he's situated right in the center.

We don't have a playmaker to spray the ball accurately to the flanks. I laugh when some peeps said Ejuke should play the No 10 role.. Ejuke is not a playmaker never was, never will be.. He's not a Jayjay and btw, the days of Jayjay and co has gone. A dribbler in the middle of the pack will be the downfall of any team..

Our traditional strength has always been getting the ball to pacy winger who can deliver the ball in the box to pacy strikers. Chuks is pacy but how many decent crosses does he deliver?

It's been embarrassing watching Moses Simon not able to deliver crosses on target..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

U are the one who wants them to vote blindly. We want them to open their eyes and see that Unless we stick together in player votings we won't win much.

There is nothing more blind than voting for Alisson over Mendy, because Alisson was not even one of the top goalkeepers in the year under review.

If na clear eye Salah use vote, Alisson was not an option
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

Mane didn't vote because he isn't Senegal's captain

I can't find Guinea's vote for some reason

Ah but he is their captain at the AFCON and has been wearing the band for a while now. Maybe he left it to someone else so it didn't seem like he was the one voting against Alisson grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

There is nothing more blind than voting for Alisson over Mendy, because Alisson was not even one of the top goalkeepers in the year under review.

Yes u are right about that sha. Alisson wasn't even that great last season when Mendy honestly could do no wrong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

Did anybody say anything about blindly voting every African?

This was specifically in relation to Mendy, and there is no criteria that Mendy was not deserving of that award, being African should have also boosted his chances with Africans.

What they did is akin to robbing your brother of something he earned, just so you won't seem biased. It is self-sabotage and it is the same thing we just mentioned about how Africans cannot work together, because they are sellouts

Mendy earned that award by every metric, and his own people still voted against him.

Donnarunma earned that award by every metric if we are arguing by footballing merits he was the best player at Euros and had a stellar season now its up to the discretion of the voters to choose who had a better season this your argument about robbing your brother is emotional blackmail and nepotism and it is not a good way of convincing anybody that Mendy deserved the award, if at the end his performance convinced majority that he had a better year so be it but trying to hold people hostage on their votes is not it

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:25pm On Jan 18, 2022
jihday:
except for Collins it’s a decent lineup

Collins might be the next in line to post an improved performance in the post Rohr era, who knows..

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:25pm On Jan 18, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

If everybody sticks to their clan do you think any African player would win an European dominated vote, let everybody vote their choice that way an unjaundiced and deserving winner will emerge

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:25pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

There is no way they can use world cup performance as an excuse if they were being sincere.

Except they are talking more about participation than actually doing something worthwhile at the tournament, because how do you even cut off your best performers on the world stage just so you can placate frayed nerves of underwhelming teams?

U are right makes no sense it all. Almost like they want their turn at world cups without actually having to earn it.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2022
Mujtahida:

As far as sports is concerned, I simply do not think the distinction between local born or foreign born should be an issue.

Alaba missed playing for Nigeria by just hair breath and even at that his heart is still with Nigeria. His sister recently on her Twitter time line said that it's sweet watching SE
listened to some of her songs, she sings in Yoruba, pidgin and English
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2022
Danielnino00:

Collins might be the next in line to post an improved performance in the post Rohr era, who knows..
I hope so but I’m not optimistic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LoverOfPussy: 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2022
I see nwakali scoring the first freekick of the tournament tomorrow

possible formation

uzoho

ebuehi
ekong
ajayi
sanusi

ndidi
nwakali
iwobi

onyekuru
awoniyi
ejuke

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2022
Subzero047:

If everybody sticks to their clan do you think any African player would win an European dominated vote, let everybody vote their choice that way an unjaundiced winner will emerge

Mendy would easily walk away with it going by what u just said. If our over 50 members vote for Mendy, Europe will split votes on Donnarumma and Neuer. Mendy and Africa win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:37pm On Jan 18, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

Hammarby want at least 5 million euros for Amoo.

The player recently posted his YouTube compilation highlights to his social media.

Rangers are monitoring.
Rangers won’t be bad but holland Belgium or France will be better

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:37pm On Jan 18, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Mendy would easily walk away with it going by what u just said. If our over 50 members vote for Mendy, Europe will split votes on Donnarumma and Neuer. Mendy and Africa win.

Who is splitting votes on Donnarumma and Neuer, my point is allow people to vote who they want and stop emotional blackmail

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:39pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

So after Salah votes Alisson over Mendy, he will now go back to his club and tell them what?

This is a simple issue you are trying to overcomplicate. The priority is country first (which is even arguable), then club, then personal affiliation before continent. So you want Salah to jump the queue and vote for somebody he has no connection to other than they happen to play for countries within the same continent?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:40pm On Jan 18, 2022
Subzero047:

Donnarunma earned that award by every metric if we are arguing by footballing merits he was the best player at Euros and had a stellar season now its up to the discretion of the voters to choose who had a better season this your argument about robbing your brother is emotional blackmail and nepotism and it is not a good way of convincing anybody that Mendy deserved the award, if at the end his performance convinced majority that he had a better year so be it but trying to hold people hostage on their votes is not it

There is no metric he earned it that is higher than Mendy's

The only thing he won was literally the Euros.

Would Mendy have won that award if he won the AFCON and nothing else?

Answer this thing with clear mind
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:
So, Zimbabwe's Captain voted for Alisson over Mendy in that FIFA Best award, no wonder they are chopping bottom of the table at AFCON. No football brain, no brotherly feelings. Just otu players

Other African nations that showed their asses

Salah is more dedicated to club than continent, the eleribu voted Alisson
Tunisia's Captain, another idiot that voted Neuer
Namibia's Captain too, a whitewashed idiot voted Donnaruma
Uganda's Captain, a Mumu and more, voted Donnaruma.
Malawi's captain, na Senegal go deal with them today, that one too, voted Donnaruma.
Angola's Captain, another otondo, voted for Donnaruma

We suppose gather these useless people, flog them, especially that hating mumu Salah.

I myself wouldn't vote for any goalkeeper above Donnarumma, so I think we should respect their decision.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:44pm On Jan 18, 2022
drDoom3:

So after Salah votes Alisson over Mendy, he will now go back to his club and tell them what?

This is a simple issue you are trying to overcomplicate. The priority is country first (which is even arguable), then club, then personal affiliation before continent. So you want Salah to jump the queue and vote for somebody he has no connection to other than they happen to play for countries within the same continent?

It is a simple issue

Salah voted with bias, he voted blindly. You are quoting something that is talking about people voting blindly.

So, simple issue. Blind and sentimental voting over merit is not so bad now, is it?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:45pm On Jan 18, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

I myself wouldn't vote for any goalkeeper above Donnarumma, so I think we should respect their decision.

I choose to disrespect it

You can respect it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 12:46pm On Jan 18, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

We don't have Etebo and there is a high possibility of us meeting these guys in the tournament. I can only hope of a tactical breakthrough on our side.
well said tactical

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2022
Joezinho:

We don't have a playmaker to spray the ball accurately to the flanks. I laugh when some peeps said Ejuke should play the No 10 role.. Ejuke is not a playmaker never was, never will be.. He's not a Jayjay and btw, the days of Jayjay and co has gone. A dribbler in the middle of the pack will be the downfall of any team..

Our traditional strength has always been getting the ball to pacy winger who can deliver the ball in the box to pacy strikers. Chuks is pacy but how many decent crosses does he deliver?

It's been embarrassing watching Moses Simon not able to deliver crosses on target..

I agree with everything you said here except the bolded.

Many don't realise how difficult it is to make good connection with the ball with your weaker foot.

Salah and Messi have two of the most useless right foots among top players.

So from his weaker foot, we have to manage the crosses coming from that left hand side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:50pm On Jan 18, 2022
safarigirl:

There is no metric he earned it that is higher than Mendy's

The only thing he won was literally the Euros.

Would Mendy have won that award if he won the AFCON and nothing else?

Answer this thing with clear mind

Donnarumma won the player of the tournament and won the Euros and finished 2nd in Seria A, Mendy won the Champions league and finished 4th in the premier league, I don't know what metric you are using but my metric tells me that Donnarumma deserves it more than Mendy and if not for the rant Mendy went on when Donnarumma won it at the ballon d'or he would have won it again at Fifa the best, you are now blackmailing North Africans for not voting Mendy like if Bono was in a similar situation you would have cared and stop comparing Euros and the Afcon they are not on the same pedestal

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:51pm On Jan 18, 2022
Subzero047:

Who is splitting votes on Donnarumma and Neuer, my point is allow people to vote who they want and stop emotional blackmail

Were those not goalkeepers up for vote If u want to call telling people to look first at the greatness within "emotionalblackmail", then be my guest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 12:51pm On Jan 18, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

I agree with everything you said here except the bolded.

Many don't realise how difficult it is to make good connection with the ball with your weaker foot.

Salah and Messi have two of the most useless right foots among top players.

So from his weaker foot, we have to manage the crosses coming from that left hand side.

Spraying the ball to the flanks is nwakali primary skill set. He has the passing range to release wingers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:53pm On Jan 18, 2022
jihday:
Rangers won’t be bad but holland Belgium or France will be better

Rangers with consistent European football will make him a 20 million player in no time.

And their close tie to English football is well documented.

France for me is the most difficult league after England.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 12:54pm On Jan 18, 2022
Meliforme:

Don't say you live in Equatorial Guinea because of people who don't admire progress. Instead of attacking the points you raised, they pile attacks on your person.

The fact that you left the shores of Nigeria to the U.S shows progress. The fact that you can spend time on Nairaland while living in the US as an immigrant shows how far you have gone.

Don't let them drag you down, don't let them make you say things that you don't even desire.

Cc.Meliforme

Baba Meli , thanks. I am just amazed this your post has only one like. It shows the mind majority of the people here. I am actually shocked but I shouldn't.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:55pm On Jan 18, 2022
samtol4:
yes very physical , you will need a player like Etebo to fight for the midfield

There's little to no drop off in physicality from Etebo to Aribo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2022
Subzero047:

Donnarumma won the player of the tournament and won the Euros and finished 2nd in Seria A, Mendy won the Champions league and finished 4th in the premier league, I don't know what metric you are using but my metric tells me that Donnarumma deserves it more than Mendy and if not for the rant Mendy went on when Donnarumma won it at the ballon d'or he would have won it again at Fifa the best, you are now blackmailing North Africans for not voting Mendy like if Bono was in a similar situation you would have cared and stop comparing Euros and the Afcon they are not on the same pedestal

Club World Cup. Mendy won the Club World Cup too

The EPL is also rated higher than the Serie A for a reason.

Once again, would Mendy have won this award if he had won the AFCON and come second in his league?

You are deviating and answering questions nobody asked you

Yes or No. Would they have given Mendy this award if he won the AFCON?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 12:57pm On Jan 18, 2022
mostob:
Simon is still a suspect...his crossing is horrible.
Simon Moses is not a suspect , he has done extremely well , he just need to work on his crosses. There is no complete player anywhere. I do not rate him before this tournament but let be sincere his performance is above average. I was expecting much from Chukueze but it appears He is not in the best form

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2022
AFCON 2021 round-of-16 fixtures and results
Sunday January 23
Game 1: Group A runner-up vs Group C runner-up, 4pm (Limbe Stadium, Limbe) - Live on Sky Sports Football
Game 2: [b]Group D winner vs Group B/E/F third-place, [/b]7pm (Roumde Adjia Stadium, Garoua) - Live on Sky Sports Mix
Monday January 24
Game 3: Group B runner-up vs Group F runner-up, 4pm (Kouekong Stadium, Bafoussam) - Live on Sky Sports Football
Game 4: Group A winner vs Group C/D/E third-place, 7pm (Olembe Stadium, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports Premier League
Tuesday January 25
Game 5: Group B winner vs Group A/C/D third-place, 4pm (Kouekong Stadium, Bafoussam) - Live on Sky Sports Football
Game 6: Group C winner vs Group A/B/F third-place, 7pm (Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports Football
Wednesday January 26
Game 7: Group E winner vs Group D runner-up, 4pm (Japoma Stadium, Douala) - Live on Sky Sports Football
Game 8: Group F winner vs Group E runner-up, 7pm (Limbe Stadium, Limbe) - Live on Sky Sports Premier League
AFCON 2021 quarter-final fixtures and results
Saturday January 29
Quarter-final 1: Round-of-16 game 4 winner vs Round-of-16 game 3 winner, 4pm (Japoma Stadium, Douala) - Live on Sky Sports
Quarter-final 2: Round-of-16 game 1 winner vs Round-of-16 game 2 winner, 7pm (Roumde Adjia Stadium, Garoua) - Live on Sky Sports Premier League
Sunday January 30
Quarter-final 3: Round-of-16 game 7 winner vs Round-of-16 game 6 winner, 4pm (Olembe Stadium, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports Premier League
Quarter-final 4: Round-of-16 game 5 winner vs Round-of-16 game 8 winner, 7pm (Japoma Stadium, Douala) - Live on Sky Sports Football
AFCON 2021 semi-final fixtures and results
Wednesday February 2
Semi-final 1: Quarter-final 1 winner vs Quarter-final 4 winner, 7pm (Japoma Stadium, Douala) - Live on Sky Sports
Thursday February 3
Semi-final 2: Quarter-final 2 winner vs Quarter-final 3 winner, 7pm (Olembe Stadium, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports
AFCON 2021 third-place match
Sunday February 6
Semi-final 1 loser vs Semi-final 2 loser, 4pm (Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports
AFCON 2021 final
Sunday February 6
Semi-final 1 winner vs Semi-final 2 winner, 7pm (Olembe Stadium, Yaounde) - Live on Sky Sports
are you comfortable Nigeria playing Algeria or Tunisia in the next round or you for Malawi to get result tonight?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12310) (12311) (12312) (12313) (12314) (12315) (12316) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, lovewins and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.