Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,274 members, 7,829,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11751873 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1310) (1311) (1312) (1313) (1314) (1315) (1316) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 10:50am On Aug 23, 2017
Mickael2:

you have to subtract Etebo from your wingers because I see him starting this game as the CMF, I intend to see the same set of players that played against Algeria in this game as well maybe except for Iwobi. so that brings me back to my question, what if we are chasing this game? will you introduce Iwobi when you are chasing a game? ok let's say you sub in Nwaekeme who thrives on crosses, that means you now need good deliveries from either side will you sub in Iwobi who does not cross the ball at all? or will you sub in Moses Simon who cannot cross to save his life? We have a plan B striker but we do not have plan B wingers at all.if two people get injured in our team, we will relive the 2010 world cup all over again where we didn't have any left back left. IMO the number of DMFs are too much. I am not looking for young wingers, I am looking for extra wingers, if Obasi is that extra winger I do not mind but we are well short in that department. had it been Kayode was invited at least you have a back up striker as well as a back up winger, but can Ighalo or Nwakaeme play on the wings? if you have those two players on the bench it's not much different from having just one of them on the bench

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2017
safarigirl:
dazall grin
Haha haha. meaning?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by geomustee: 10:54am On Aug 23, 2017
Iheancho Ighalo Iwobi

V. Moses Mikel Obi
Onazi

Echiejile Balogun Ekong Awaziem

Alampazu
4 3 3 formation [color=#006600][/color]

Awaziem plays in more superior French league .... Akpeyi old fool with no playing time.... Alampazu young and youthful needs time...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 10:58am On Aug 23, 2017
do4luv14:
Since the list is out, what formations, A&B including C is best for the players invited to do the job of beating dem home , and atlst draw away,

my pick, 4.2,3,1

starting from the striker

......................................IGHALO
ETEBO.........................NACHO............................V.MOSES
...................MIKEL...................NDIDI
ELDERSON.............EKONG,,,,,,,,,LOEN.............EBUAHI
...............................AKPEYI.......................
best line up I have seen so far
the deployment of etebo to the wings in this line up made me fall in love with this line up
don't see the reason why he can't be deployed to the wings cos of his exploits at that position during the Olympics
IMO I would like alampasu to man the post but the fact is that akpeyi will still man the post despite his silly mistakes in his previous matches for Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:11am On Aug 23, 2017
My 11

Akpeyi, Echiejile - Ekong - Balogun - Awaziem, Ndidi - Ogu - Mikel, Vic Moses - Iheanacho - Etebo/Iwobi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 11:22am On Aug 23, 2017
edi287:
My 11

Akpeyi, Echiejile - Ekong - Balogun - Awaziem, Ndidi - Ogu - Mikel, Vic Moses - Iheanacho - Etebo/Iwobi

take out Awaziem guy joor and leave Shehu or Aina dere.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 11:22am On Aug 23, 2017
femianski:

the deployment of etebo to the wings in this line up made me fall in love with this line up
don't see the reason why he can't be deployed to the wings cos of his exploits at that position during the Olympics
IMO I would like alampasu to man the post but the fact is that akpeyi will still man the post despite his silly mistakes in his previous matches for Nigeria

take out Ehuabi.....who dat guy be sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:26am On Aug 23, 2017
mumemma:

take out Ehuabi.....who dat guy be sef
Lol at Ehuabi. He probably meant Ebuehi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Lol at Ehuabi. He probably meant Ebuehi.

Yea....But I dont even know him...abeg where has he featured?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:34am On Aug 23, 2017
Icon4s:

You want to risk with an untested Agu in a match of this calibre. I would rather We played Etebo in that CM position than Agu. No room for wild experiments.

You are forgetting the gaps are too dangerous. It has cost us a lot of games and I do not see the logic in making the same mistakes.

I still opt for,

......................................Nwakeme
Musa.........................Nacho............................V. Moses
...................Mikel...................Ndidi

Because this gives us our most pacy attacking set-up and a balanced central/holding midfield.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:35am On Aug 23, 2017
mumemma:

Yea....But I dont even know him...abeg where has he featured?
He is a 21years old RB that plays for ADO den Haag in the Dutch league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:45am On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Nwakeme is up there because of speed, skill and creativity. That is what I have always called for. So, I wonder your problem. You were talking about a big man upfront to lob long balls to. Which to me is a no and I have not changed my stance.

So please, what is the problem?

You think it's possible to play relentless ground passes for 90 minutes in international football? Are those players you listed familiar with that method?

For starters, Nwakaeme is a proper 6 footer. He can contest and win aerial battles. Out of curiosity, why didn't you choose Iwobi, Awaziem and Ebuehi?
They are lightweight and possess those speed and movement you want to see. Also, they shy away from physical battles.

Since you don't want to contest physically with the Camerounians, they should be your obvious choice. Otherwise, you're being hypocritical.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2017
goldfish80:

You think it's possible to play relentless ground passes for 90 minutes in international football? Are those players you listed familiar with that method?

For starters, Nwakaeme is a proper 6 footer. He can contest and win aerial battles. Out of curiosity, why didn't you choose Iwobi, Awaziem and Ebuehi?
They are lightweight and possess those speed and movement you want to see. Also, they shy away from physical battles.

Since you don't want to contest physically with the Camerounians, they should be your obvious choice. Otherwise, you're being hypocritical.

6ft is not my criteria for selection. Maybe yours. Nwakeme is on my list for speed. Yes our players can play at a high intensity. Apart from Nwakeme, the rest have played together and can bring the much needed intense play.

They are footballers and can adapt to strategies.

Awaziem is not there because Balogun is back. Balogun is also fast. As you can see, you are just ranting. Please, are you from South Africa? Because, you sound like Rantie. cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 11:54am On Aug 23, 2017
edi287:
My 11

Best lineup to prosecute the match,Aina should replace Awaziem while Alampasu or even Ezenwa will have my nod over Akpeyi who is now the third choice goalkeeper in his club and he as not even kept goal this season.I just dont know why people are sleeping on Ogu,i am not a fan of his before the senegal match but with the way he and Ndidi dominated that physical Senegalese midfield 3 that consisted of Gueye,Ndoye and Ndiaye without Mikel in the side,they both won me over.The duo covered for eachother very well when ever one of them ventures forward with the ball which helped relieve the pressure on our backline.Ndidi and Ogu will make us more defensively disciplined and will liberate Mikel to create for Iheanacho.Another part of Ogu's game that caught my attention is his throughballs and we very much know it is one of cameroon's weakness which we can effectively exploit with the right players and not hoofing longballs to our opponets half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 11:55am On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

6ft is not my criteria for selection. Maybe yours. Nwakeme is on my list for speed. Yes our players can play at a high intensity. Apart from Nwakeme, the rest have played together and can bring the much needed intense play.

Awaziem is not there because Balogun is back. Balogun is also fast. As you can see, you are just ranting. Please, are you from South Africa? Because, you sound like Rantie. cheesy

You guys seem to know dis Nwakeeme so well.....where una know am ....ve u really watched him in and out...I mean full games...

Stop analysing from just short minutes clips...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55am On Aug 23, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:57am On Aug 23, 2017
mumemma:

You guys seem to know dis Nwakeeme so well.....where una know am ....ve u really watched him in and out...I mean full games...

Come and stop me nah. cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On Aug 23, 2017
mumemma:

Did you not read where I said this is a preliminary list and the camping reports will affect my final view?

Since I dropped my Kung-fu shoes, a lot of people have been talking anyhow.
angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:58am On Aug 23, 2017
the is my starting eleven.. if we are trailing then by second half bring in musa, remove ndidi and let etebo pair mikel and then musa takes lwf, and remove ighalo to be replaced by nwaekeme. or iwobi can start in amf to be replaced by iheanacho who can be in bench if we need goals.. any which way this crops should be able to do the damage... i don't like akpeyi(would have preferred alampasu) but i doubt Rohr will use a debutant for such vital position and match.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You are forgetting the gaps are too dangerous. It has cost us a lot of games and I do not see the logic in making the same mistakes.

I still opt for,

Because this gives us our most pacy attacking set-up and a balanced central/holding midfield.

But why the sudden preference for Nwaekeme?

Why I don't think Nwaekeme will start that game as our CF:
He is a debutant.
The philosophy holds sway all across. Except if there is a competitive warm up game before a match of this magnitude you don't throw in a debutant striker in from the start. If we are to play a 4-4-2 formation it probably makes it easier for that debutant striker to fit into the rhythm and flow.

But for 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. The lone striker really needs to play in rhythm and resonance with the 3 players behind and flanking him. The striker needs to know when to run into position likewise the AMs and wingers need to know when to release the balls to him. They need to know his favorite foot and the height of balls he finds easiest to control or utilize. The other forward players need to also know how fast a striker can run as this informs on the speed of the pass you lay to him. Just to mention a few.

This type of rhythm is achieved and improved upon with every passing game that the team plays. You don't achieve those just on the training ground.
A team like Cameroon suffers with a cohesive attack.

Giving the number of days the team will have in camp I don't think Rohr would want to perform that experiment.

With Mikel behind iheanacho and Moses and Iwobi at the flanks. We have enough creativity and rhythm to unsettle the Cameroonian defense. And as I proposed earlier on if need be Nwaekeme may join the attack force as a CF and Iheanacho the SS. Here we switch to 4-4-2.

I still maintain that creativity, sleek movements and cohesiveness are the vital keys to outwitting these Cameroonians. We already have a crop that can COPE with the physicality the Cameroonians would bring.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:01pm On Aug 23, 2017
The problem is when people rush to type, and they have not read.. You don't learn that way.
do4luv14:

this one is trying to put the CART before the HORSE, settle down for club first biko,

solve kor Arrange Ni?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:01pm On Aug 23, 2017
femianski:

I chooses AKPEYI , cos we need a match for him to redeem himself, plus I hope the new GK trainer, had work on his confidence,

cos those silly mistake were lack of confidence,

ask ENYEAMA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:01pm On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

But you didn't explain why you left out Iwobi and Ebuehi. They are not physical just like you love it.
Why list Kelechi as the AMF after you want a whole year defining how awesome he was against Algeria and South Africa grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
haha people don't read. lol

TheGoodJoe:

Did you not read where I said this is a preliminary list and the camping reports will affect my final view?

Since I dropped my Kung-fu shoes, a lot of people have been talking anyhow.
angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:03pm On Aug 23, 2017
Joebie:
The problem is when people rush to type, and they have not read.. You don't learn that way.

lolzzzz grin,

you make me funny , are you saying I don't read before I type
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 12:04pm On Aug 23, 2017
Lordabas:

I'm 100% impressed with the list. They all desrve the callup. Apart from kelechi who is injured and Musa although Musa has experienceagainst african opposition so he's still vital
kelechi back in training as at yday...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2017
AndreTAyodeji:
Best lineup to prosecute the match,Aina should replace Awaziem while Alampasu or even Ezenwa will have my nod over Akpeyi who is now the third choice goalkeeper in his club and he as not even kept goal this season.I just dont know why people are sleeping on Ogu,i am not a fan of his before the senegal match but with the way he and Ndidi dominated that physical Senegalese midfield 3 that consisted of Gueye,Ndoye and Ndiaye without Mikel in the side,they both won me over.The duo covered for eachother very well when ever one of them ventures forward with the ball which helped relieve the pressure on our backline.Ndidi and Ogu will make us more defensively disciplined and will liberate Mikel to create for Iheanacho.Another part of Ogu's game that caught my attention is his throughballs and we very much know it is one of cameroon's weakness which we can effectively exploit with the right players and not hoofing longballs to our opponets half.

Akepyi is the number Gk for his club. He hasn't played this season as a result of the carry over of red card he received in their last game of the previous season. He's even the captain of that club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2017
na force? He said "My" 11

haha.. una like argument oh.

Abi Rohr go come nairaland for advice?

mumemma:

take out Awaziem guy joor and leave Shehu or Aina dere.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I still opt for,

Now the gaps.

If you are to condemn and drop Onazi because of that SA game then you must also drop Ndidi, Iheanacho, Etebo and Iwobi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Icon4s:

But why the sudden preference for Nwaekeme?

Why I don't think Nwaekeme will start that game as our CF:
He is a debutant.
The philosophy holds sway all across. Except if there is a competitive warm up game before a match of this magnitude you don't throw in a debutant striker in from the start. If we are to play a 4-4-2 formation it probably makes it easier for that debutant striker to fit into the rhythm and flow.

But for 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. The lone striker really needs to play in rhythm and resonance with the 3 players behind and flanking him. The striker needs to know when to run into position likewise the AMs and wingers need to know when to release the balls to him. They need to know his favorite foot and the height of balls he finds easiest to control or utilize. The other forward players need to also know how fast a striker can run as this informs on the speed of the pass you lay to him. Just to mention a few.

This type of rhythm is achieved and improved upon with every passing game that the team plays. You don't achieve those just on the training ground.
A team like Cameroon suffers with a cohesive attack.

Giving the number of days the team will have in camp I don't think Rohr would want to perform that experiment.

With Mikel behind iheanacho and Moses and Iwobi at the flanks. We have enough creativity and rhythm to unsettle the Cameroonian defense. And as I proposed earlier on if need be Nwaekeme may join the attack force as a CF and Iheanacho the SS. Here we switch to 4-4-2.

I still maintain that creativity, sleek movements and cohesiveness are the vital keys to outwit these Cameroonians. We already have a crop that can COPE with the physicality the Cameroonians would bring.

Nice points and duly noted.

However, I think a pacy approach will be more effective than preparing to go against the Camerounians with a physical battle in mind. Also, I feel a pacy approach will be more important than a balanced cohesive unit.

I feel also the blending talk is overrated. When Osimhen came in against South Africa, he did not need to blend. He came in and immediately was in sync with the team. Also, see the last game City played, Bernardo Silva came in and was in sync. I think coaches complicate things with a bit of sentimental touches in their opinions.

Select a strategy and the best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1310) (1311) (1312) (1313) (1314) (1315) (1316) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.