Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,588 members, 7,850,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11868598 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1313) (1314) (1315) (1316) (1317) (1318) (1319) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
egbon when you have two bad options you choose the lesser evil which in this case is ezenwa

Icon4s:

Bros where were you when Ezenwa was being laundered alongside Akpeyi on this thread?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
chrisooblog:
egbon when you have two bad options you choose the lesser evil which in this case is ezenwa

Because of the Benin game?

When I was painting it here that Ezenwa and Akpeyi are not as bad as you guys tag them to be you didn't understand.

Have you even considered the nature of opposition Akpeyi has faced for Nigeria?

Egypt, Algeria, Senegal, South Africa. Real serious attacking teams.

Ezenwa faced Benin home based players and you conclude he is the lesser evil than Akpeyi.

Well..... undecided your opinion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 3:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
..................................................Nwakeme(CF)
.S. Moses(LMF).................Iheanacho(AMF).................V. Moses(RMF)
................................................................Mikel(CMF)
............................................Ndidi(DMF)
......Echiejile(LB).....................................................................Aina(RB)
.........................Balogun(CB)....................Ekong(CB)
...................................................Alampasu(GK)

My preliminary starting eleven. There will be fluctuations in my list as camping reports filter in. Nwakeme got the nod ahead of Ighalo because of his skills and pace which I feel is a critical factor to break down the Camerounians.

S. Moses also breaks in over Iwobi based on the same criteria. He just needs to focus on working with his team mates. Iwobi needs to do lots of stamina training if he is to make it with the team. Based on stamina, speed and skills, Simon gets the nod.

Aina comes in based on his training with Chelsea and getting the nod to play under Conte. That is a big plus.

Alampasu gets my nod due to previous reports of his performance in camp. But, Ezenwa is a huge challenge.

Onazi dropped because of the gaps he left in the last game.
nice....etebor would have been my preferred lwf tho....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 3:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
Exclusive: Rohr Receives Bad News From RSA As Akpeyi Suffers Injury Ahead Of Cameroon Clash
allnigeriasoccer.com Aug 23, 2017 12:07 PM
Exclusive: Rohr Receives Bad News From RSA As Akpeyi Suffers Injury Ahead Of Cameroon Clash

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has received bad news from South Africa regarding the fitness of his number one goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, ahead of the national team's vital World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon in September.
Contrary to speculations in the local press, allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that Akpeyi was not involved in Chippa United's 2-0 win over AmaZulu FC on Tuesday evening after picking up an injury in training days leading up to the clash at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (Port Elizabeth).

The verdict from the Chilli Boys medics is that the Super Eagles netminder has suffered a 'minor injury' to a muscle.

Though the severity of Akpeyi's injury is not as bad as first thought, he has been advised by the medical team not to train with Chippa United until he reports for international duty this weekend.

The other goalkeepers named in the Super Eagles squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon are Ikechukwu Ezenwa and C.D. Feirense greenhorn Dele Alampasu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 3:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
mostob:

everything is not about goals,apart from his goals,what else did kelechi offers?we want somebody who is powerful and strong to lead the line. Not kelechi pls,he may come on as substitute sha
Everything is not about goals for a striker, btw what else does ighalo contribute, Nacho even have more assist. I don't want to believe you're just bias I want Ighalo in the team also bt don't discharge Iheanacho with the proven striker stuff.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:26pm On Aug 23, 2017
EEGA:

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has received bad news from South Africa regarding the fitness of his number one goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, ahead of the national team's vital World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon in September.
Contrary to speculations in the local press, allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that Akpeyi was not involved in Chippa United's 2-0 win over AmaZulu FC on Tuesday evening after picking up an injury in training days leading up to the clash at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (Port Elizabeth).

The verdict from the Chilli Boys medics is that the Super Eagles netminder has suffered a 'minor injury' to a muscle.

Though the severity of Akpeyi's injury is not as bad as first thought , he has been advised by the medical team not to train with Chippa United until he reports for international duty this weekend.

The other goalkeepers named in the Super Eagles squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon are Ikechukwu Ezenwa and C.D. Feirense greenhorn Dele Alampasu.

Pheew!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:28pm On Aug 23, 2017
egbon is it the nature of opposition that prevented akpeyi from knowing how to catch simple cross? ezenwa's own is even a little bit excusable he's homebased with lack of excellent facilities and coaching what is akpeyi's excuse? supposed experienced foreign based goalkeeper who is always jittery and playing like he's just making his debut. for goodness sake this is someone that couldn't command a starting jersey with u23s let me repeat U23! i'm not expecting magic from ezenwa but at least i expect him to get the basics right

Icon4s:

Because of the Benin game?

When I was painting it here that Ezenwa and Akpeyi are not as bad as you guys tag them to be you didn't understand.

Have you even considered the nature of opposition Akpeyi has faced for Nigeria?

Egypt, Algeria, Senegal, South Africa. Real serious attacking teams.

Ezenwa faced Benin home based players and you conclude he is lesser evil than Akpeyi.

Well..... undecided your opinion.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:29pm On Aug 23, 2017
EEGA:

Though the severity of Akpeyi's injury is not as bad as first thought, he has been advised by the medical team not to train with Chippa United until he reports for international duty this weekend.

Allnigerian soccer, somebody has threatened to dust his kong-fu boots o.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:30pm On Aug 23, 2017
chrisooblog:
egbon is it the nature of opposition that prevented akpeyi from knowing how to catch simple cross? ezenwa's own is even a little bit excusable he's homebased with lack of excellent facilities and coaching what is akpeyi's excuse? supposed experienced foreign based goalkeeper who is always jittery and playing like he's just making his debut. for goodness sake this is someone that couldn't command a starting jersey with u23s let me repeat U23! i'm not expecting magic from ezenwa but at least i expect him to get the basics right

Abeg which simple cross?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
zicky:
Everything is not about goals for a striker, btw what else does ighalo contribute, Nacho even have more assist. I don't want to believe you're just bias I want Ighalo in the team also bt don't discharge Iheanacho with the proven striker stuff.
iheanacho is good but i feel playing ighalo would dash the cameroonian hope and give them something more handful to deal with.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:39pm On Aug 23, 2017
the goal we conceded against senegal what led to it. against south africa the cross from the south african winger which he fumbled and almost led to a goal. against algeria he was supposed to come out and punch the ball he punched balogun instead and in the confusion we almost conceded. and that's the last three matches he has played

you have not answered the question why someone that couldn't be trusted for u23s in rio should be trusted in a crucial world cup qualifier against cameroon

Icon4s:

Abeg which simple cross?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2017
zicky:

Ighalo is a strong attacker with tricks and skills and his hold up play is phenomenal. He will be a handful to the Cameroonians. Iheanacho,though a lethal struggles with establishing his presence. Most times his first touch is depressing and lets him down.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2017
chrisooblog:
same reply i gave icon

man!!!! Lets face it, much as I and any other person don't like it, its AKPEYI,

the problem is not from his side, but his handlers had not done him any good,

with the oyinbo GK trainer, we can hope for the best and improvements
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:01pm On Aug 23, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Ighalo is a strong attacker with tricks and skills and his hold up play is phenomenal. He will be a handful to the Cameroonians. Iheanacho,though a lethal struggles with establishing his presence. Most times his first touch is depressing and lets him down.

seriously I don't know what IGHALO offence is that make some resent him like that,

I blame our coaches who does not always play to our players strength, hence the struggles on national duty, and shines on club duty,

#Fact

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:04pm On Aug 23, 2017
Ighalo is a quality player any day and shouldn't be written off. I will start an inform Ighalo ahead of a fluttering Kelechi. I have high hopes for Kelechi and I still believe be can become a world class but HE NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS FIRST TOUCH!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
Icon4s:

1st game on the 1st next on the 4th. If the decision to invite a stand-by player is taken on the 1st (shortly after the game), that is a good enough time for the stand-by player to blend especially if he is an old regular wink

How many days do you even think the team has to prepare for the game of the 1st September.
Players on stand-by will still be in their Base in Europe. However you look at it, it's going to be a rush job if we someone gets suspended or injured.

I see Ezenwa is getting a love in.... Lol
Shows how fickle Nigerian fans are. Just watch them deny they ever insulted Akpeyi if he produced a master class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:13pm On Aug 23, 2017
do4luv14:

seriously I don't know what IGHALO offence is that make some resent him like that,

I blame our coaches who does not always play to our players strength, hence the struggles on national duty, and shines on club duty,

#Fact

Ighalo is a quality player who should be an example to our younger strikers. I have watched that AFCON qualifier against Egypt so many times and to be fair Ighalo put in some serious work there. He might not be the most clinical but he got the technique. Rohr need to work with his style.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
OMANBALA1:

which Ighalo?! Good lawd, Ighalo skilful and tricky?! Ighalo?!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:28pm On Aug 23, 2017
bad good news!!!

modified
Good bad news!!

EEGA:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 4:33pm On Aug 23, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Ighalo is a quality player any day and shouldn't be written off. I will start an inform Ighalo ahead of a fluttering Kelechi. I have high hopes for Kelechi and I still believe be can become a world class but HE NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS FIRST TOUCH!
fluttering?How?

He is not Messi or CR7 but I will start him in Uyo and if his position requires physicality,I will change to a 4-4-2 with Nwakaeme.Our major concern should be "can Echiejile cope with Bassogog? We need V.Moses in LW to help him out.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
I fear that this comparison could easily gulp pages of arguments on here.
I won't take anything from Ighalo. We have all seen his best days while playing in the Championship and the Premier League.
But speaking about the Super Eagles, he is not the kind of player that is unplayable. If he could bring that best form we know him for to the SE, I have no issues at all oh.

However, Iheanacho trumps Ighalo SE record-wise. And that is a fact.

OMANBALA1:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
Good folks are churning out their starting eleven not excluding TheGoodJoe himself...

I'm so suprised that TheGoodJoe now TheFunnyJoe has also decided to drop his favorite laundring business of 'pressing' for athletism. But why did it took him so long to know that the pressing gadget he has always fancy was never designed to press.

Chai what a great victory for our man THEGOODJOE winning his old self(laughs). Thank goodness he has finally seen the light.

*runs outta thread before he kicks me with his new kongfu shoes*

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:36pm On Aug 23, 2017
I love the direction you are going with this. Let's talk match up considering the likely Cameroon starting line up. That's how strategists think.

EEGA:
fluttering?How?

He is not Messi or CR7 but I will start him in Uyo and if his position requires physicality,I will change to a 4-4-2 with Nwakaeme.Our major concern should be "can Echiejile cope with Bassogog? We need V.Moses in LW to help him out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:37pm On Aug 23, 2017
Mickael2:

hmmm... Na same question too I wan ask o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:38pm On Aug 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe just need to say he has a new position at least for now. At least he has a stronger character than some of us that will stick to our argument come rain come sunshine. The day we stop learning, we stop growing. He has his reasons for his current shift in stance. As long as he clarifies his case, let's forget about the past.

AIG07:
Good folks are churning out their starting eleven not excluding TheGoodJoe himself...

I'm so suprised that TheGoodJoe now TheFunnyJoe has also decided to drop his favorite laundring business of 'pressing' for athletism. But why did it took him so long to know that the pressing gadget he has always fancy was never designed to press.

Chai what a great victory for our man THEGOODJOE winning his old self(laughs). Thank goodness he has finally seen the light.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 4:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
EEGA:

.....God don ansa my prayer.....
Am sure some people are happy....
Akpeyi...happy recovery
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
Icon4s:

I know who his attorney is but won't tell you

I just did not want to answer. Some statements here baffles me. Rohr made it clear that he does not like disappointing young players. If Osimhen will not make the match day squad or sub, he would not invite him.

Rohr is in camp with them. He has history with young players and has his reasons why he does not like disappointing them.

Ighalo lost his place because of a drought. If he is back in form, it is a welcome thing. Osimhen needs to keep pushing and working hard.

As I said clearly before, his break-in to the Super Eagles team depends on how fast he develops. I never, or read anywhere that he is a banker to start and make the team.

It was clearly stated. If he develops well. I hope the young man stays hungry and work hard. He is in a nice team.

Sad, I have to explain the same thing I stated earlier.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:44pm On Aug 23, 2017
E be like se na only me no sabi this guy called Anthony Nwakaeme. He seems to be the new revelation and rave of the moment.

I will be stunned if this guy does not walk into the starting line-up with the reviews he gets here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Yes,Ighalo has skills. I have watched him and the glimpses are there. Watch the Egypt game and talk to me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:47pm On Aug 23, 2017
Joebie:
TheGoodJoe just need to say he has a new position at least for now. At least he has a stronger character than some of us that will stick to our argument come rain come sunshine. The day we stop learning, we stop growing. He has his reasons for his current shift in stance. As long as he clarifies his case, let's forget about the past.

that's how we roll here no hard feelings. Just trying to pull his legs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2017
AIG07:

What the f are you writing here? We expect Cameroun to stay deep and hit us with long balls and you are talking pressing. Football is dynamic. You do not approach every game the same way.

At least learn something today, you press teams to stop them from keeping the ball. Still, it does not mean we will not still press in case the Camerounians try to keep it.

If we had someone like Aluko in the creative role who has pace, I will opt for Nacho up front. Unfortunately, Mikel and Iwobi are not pacy. That is why I am not rooting for any of them to play the creative midfield role.

I am also not rooting for Ighalo upfront because of the same thing. I feel pace is the same way.

It is so logical. I wonder what you are writing up there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 4:50pm On Aug 23, 2017
Mickael2:

on average ighalo is skillful.....buh tricky?....nah
i love it when he does his legovers

(1) (2) (3) ... (1313) (1314) (1315) (1316) (1317) (1318) (1319) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Danielnino00(m), joelsteron, Napoleon55(m), damirosky60 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.