Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13267) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11721055 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13264) (13265) (13266) (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2022
do4luv14:

I think say na only me see an ooo
Correct Carpenters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2022
daveP:

They're 4in Number o. Asides Carriers of that stuff. Yet. E go even better if we get one fine Lady Doc. E dey work for top teams. Not these guys wey no even care say camera dey dia back. I'm pissed but not surprised.

I pray we don't embarrass the medical field of the country on such an emergency, that the opposing team will have to now lend a hand. Naaaah.
Bro..the problem is qualified doctors are now scarce. Most of them dey Japa ..
May God help us

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2022
Blueelf:

Who ask you?
mtchewww
Pinnick younger bro cheesy grin

me and you put leg for Trouser before, bubu senior brother
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:17pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
May God help us

worst be say nah steady japa no be once in a while

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:17pm On Jun 09, 2022
Iwobi is a very dangerous and clinical player inside the box 18.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2022
Clint02:
Iwobi is a very dangerous and clinical player inside the box 18.

He's a very intelligent footballer.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 7:23pm On Jun 09, 2022
BOOOMNAIJA:
Our defence is d problem as it stands now.

Get rid of ekong....aina is too offensive...Ajayi is average and often times disgruntled/disjointed/unsure/inconfidient...

Then we are good.

Again I repeat, our defence will cost d team a lot if action is not taken now.

It is Aina's offensiveness that led to the 2nd goal..

Our problem is not defence.. Our problem is players refusing to cover for other players..

Chukwueze should be replaced with a DM or CM who will cover Aina's position when Aina goes offensive..

Aina's major fault is not kicking the ball to throwing when there's nobody to pass to
or not clearing the ball when there's no one to pass to
or not passing to another defender,

he loses the ball or makes a bad pass because his trying to make forward runs or forward passes...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:23pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:
I watched ebuehi at Venezia and bobo is below average

Forget all those undue hype he gets here. This Sierra lone team go bully am die

No be only you watch am for Venezia, I watched him at Venezia and even at FC Twente, na you dey watch people with bias na why you said that Balogun is finished even when Rangers fans are crying about him leaving

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2022
COOL10:

He's a very intelligent footballer.
Yeah he is. Iwobi with the ball inside the 18 yard box is more likely to score compared to any other super eagles player.
Checkout his goals,most if not all are from inside the area.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
May God help us
You are right bro. Very soon we will be left with Vet Doctors and butchers for surgeons

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 7:30pm On Jun 09, 2022
Clint02:
Yeah he is. Iwobi with the ball inside the 18 yard box is more likely to score compared to any other super eagles player.
Checkout his goals,most if not all are from inside the area.

You're right. He knows how to finish. Straight into the bottom corner.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:34pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:

Are we playing at home? Peseiro should approach the nff and sports ministry to take the team to uyo. This Abuja pitch na cucumber farm
Away i think.

Naturally, the manager should get the say in where they prefer after assessment. Nff wey no sabi better pitch dey select dey cause injury. They struggle and we don't like the results. Some acts should be in the past. Politics sef eh.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
May God help us

They can't even get one that will grow with the team. Long way to go. Very long way. A contract should attract some of those japaing now. Abi? Its worse in the hands of pharmacists. They are even bone stretchers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:39pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
to be honest..that rice farm we called stadium no be am
It's worse than a rice farm. More like a designated area for open defecation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2022
If the Aina side can just click in the crossing aspect of attack, consistently o, we would be a threat.

The midfielders that are free show shoo in for the overlapping fullbacks. Is that hard to observe and do? Bassey alone, excellent. Bassey with simon- water and oil. Especially major fault on simon refusing to see the runs of Bassey.

I can't even imagine Chuks missed that chance. I can't accept that rubbish. undecided

Who saw the Lookman big chance?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2022
Iwobi and Aribo close to 18
Ndidi forming a three man defence with the two CBs as the two full backs overlap, but behind the two midfielders. If the two fbs are further up front, the two midfielders should either provide options from the wing play to open up defence or rush in for a pass.

The Leone guys were very confident to the end. That's the kind of team we suppose dey show pepper. But our house is not in order.

The Cbs and Wingers for now are average, for this match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2022
Subzero047:

No be only you watch am for Venezia, I watched him at Venezia and even at FC Twente, na you dey watch people with bias na why you said that Balogun is finished even when Rangers fans are crying about him leaving
lmao of he is too good why didn’t the management atleast give him an extra year?

He is good to you because we lack quality in the cb positions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 7:46pm On Jun 09, 2022
Just a reminder that Iwobi at 26 has 58 appearance and 10 goals for the Super Eagles.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 7:47pm On Jun 09, 2022
Na who talk say Dem don ban Pooja

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
he should consider taking up a job as a bouncer after retirement...em go just brush aside opponent anyhow...be like somebody dey send cold Akpu to bassey steadily... grin grin
my own be say make him no go big like akinfenwa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 8:04pm On Jun 09, 2022
What I love the most about today's game is how the coach read the game, made one tactical switch and turned the match around.

It seems we finally have a real game reader for a coach. Exciting times ahead.

PS:
Peseiro did exhibit some Rohr-ish traits though. Like refusing to remove Chukwueze until around the 80th minute even when it was clear that Samu had gassed out around the late 60s. And we had a fresh Dennis and Lookman on the bench!.

Also, Osimhen got injured towards the end and was limping around in pain but Peseiro somehow preferred to keep him on in that state than to bring on a fresh Dessers or Moffi (until extra time). I just can't wrap my head around that decision.

On the whole, good show!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:
lmao of he is too good why didn’t the management atleast give him an extra year?

He is good to you because we lack quality in the cb positions

You don't even know why he left? He left because the club were trying to give a young center back more playing time, Rangers fans still consider him one of the best CBs in the club, but you will stay in Ojuelegba and say he is finished, I'm sure you don't have a reason for calling Ebuehi sh1t too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Elnino9(m): 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
grin grin grin
Bro..how did you know what I was thinking...I even screenshot sef
Both of them be like wetin we go do now? Bros shey na your blokos or where make we use aboniki rub am
Who else saw the police guy that was about opening his food and eating.... smiley

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2022
if he is good and valuable to the team they would hv handed him atleast an extra year. giving a younger cb a chance at his expense implies he is of less importance in the team

i dont rate players based on emotions or sentiment. balogun earns less than 20k weekly at rangers so if he is valued giving him a rise in pay just to tie him down for an extra year wont be a case cheesy

in the case of ebuehi like i stated earlier i watched almost venezia's games last season because of him and must confess without mincing words that he is ordinary. his loan is over so lets see if benfica will retain in to be part of thier squad nest season

aina is miles better than him but can't say of shehu
Subzero047:

You don't even know why he left? He left because the club were trying to give a young center back more playing time, Rangers fans still consider him one of the best CBs in the club, but you will stay in Ojuelegba and say he is finished, I'm sure you don't have a reason for calling Ebuehi sh1t too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:12pm On Jun 09, 2022
cheesy
Elnino9:

Who else saw the police guy that was about opening his food and eating.... smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 8:22pm On Jun 09, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
What I love the most about today's game is how the coach read the game, made one tactical switch and turned the match around.

PS:
Peseiro did exhibit some Rohr-ish traits though. Like refusing to remove Chukwueze until around the 80th minute even when it was clear that Samu had gassed out around the late 60s. And we had a fresh Dennis and Lookman on the bench!.

Also, Osimhen got injured towards the end and was limping around in pain but Peseiro somehow preferred to keep him on in that state than to bring on a fresh Dessers or Moffi (until extra time). I just can't wrap my head around that decision.

On the whole, good show!

The Osimhen change was on the ref, Moffi came off the bench but the ref refused to allow the change.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2022
The Super Eagles won their first game under Jose Peseiro's management against Sierra Leone on Thursday evening.

The game ended in a 2-1 win for the Eagles with Everton's Alex Iwobi and Napoli's Victor Osimhen scoring for Nigeria.

Allnigeriasoccer.com runs the rules over the players on parade at the MKO Abiola National Stadium.

The Starters

Goalkeeper

Francis Uzoho : Great performance, didn't have much to do in the first half and could do little for Sierra Leone's goal. Made some usual routine stops but was very commanding of his area and did well when circulating possession. 7/10

Defenders

Ola Aina : Satisfying performance. Wasn't entirely free to roam the flanks but the few times he did, he was great. Got the pre-assist with a cross which Simon guided for Osimhen to score the winning goal. Was also asked to invert at times and he showed great composure to carry out the task beautifully. 6/10

William Troost-Ekong : Got drawn out of position a few times with one of them almost proving fatal. A bit shaky but improved very much in the second half.

Defended well but got stretchered off in the 79th minute after pulling his hamstring from stopping an incisive pass. 6/10

Semi Ajayi : At his calming best. His calmness on the ball and good choice of pass proved invaluable when the Super Eagles needed to sustain pressure on Sierra Leone's defence. 7/10

Calvin Bassey : Was caught ball-watching for Sierra Leone's opening goal which almost saw him go into his shell.

Recovered well to put in a fine performance with his deep crosses proving difficult to handle for the Sierra Leone defence. 7.5/10

Midfielders

Joe Aribo: Great composure given that he played deeper than he would have liked.

Was a bit clumsy in his tackling at times but his ball-retention was outstanding. Needs to improve his focus as the game seems to pass him by at times. 6.5/10

Alex Iwobi: Growing into his deep-lying playmaker role excellently. Made a darting run from deep to score the equaliser with a sweet curling effort.

His passing was accurate and probing, also seems to spray the ball to the flanks far more easily than any other player on the pitch. Seems to have found his place in the team and Peseiro's trust in the Everton man is glaring. 9.5/10

Moses Simon: A surprise inclusion taking into account his below average performance in the friendlies against Mexico and Ecuador.

Played a new midfield role and performed excellently. Broke the lines with mazy runs through the middle and got both assists for Iwobi and Osimhen's goals.

Also carried out his defensive duties with so much conviction and drive. 8/10

Samuel Chukwueze: A livewire. Drew many fouls in dangerous opposition zones.

His attacking impetus was top-notch and he was very hard to deal with but was let down by his end product. Almost scored but his close-range shot was blocked in the six-yard box. 6.5/10

Strikers

Sadiq Umar: Was not at the races today. Hold up play was off and his movements were not in sync with Osimhen's. Didn't help progress up the pitch very much either and he was subbed off at half-time. 4/10

Victor Osimhen: Was a menace throughout to the Sierra Leone defence. Got rewarded with the winning goal for his hardwork.

His hunger and desire to play on the shoulders of the last man proved too hot to handle. Was replaced late in the game after suffering an injury. 9/10

The Substitutes

Oghenekaro Etebo: Replaced Umar at halftime and did exactly what he was brought on to do. He kept possession and helped progress the ball in phases beautifully.

Dropped in between the centre-backs at times to provide an additional option for ball-retention. 7/10

Ademola Lookman: Almost scored immediately after coming on for Chukwueze as only a last-ditch block stopped him from grabbing an instant goal.

Made good runs and is a good option against tired legs. 6/10

Kenneth Omeruo: Came on for Ekong who got injured and kept things simple at the back. 5/10

Abdullahi Shehu: Replaced Ola Aina who was struggling from fatigue in the 83rd minute. Didn't venture forward much and kept things simple. 5/10.

Terem Moffi: Played just two minutes after coming off the bench. Not enough time to be rated.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:39pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:
if he is good and valuable to the team they would hv handed him atleast an extra year. giving a younger cb a chance at his expense implies he is of less importance in the team

i dont rate players based on emotions or sentiment. balogun earns less than 20k weekly at rangers so if he is valued giving him a rise in pay just to tie him down for an extra year wont be a case cheesy

in the case of ebuehi like i stated earlier i watched almost venezia's games last season because of him and must confess without mincing words that he is ordinary. his loan is over so lets see if benfica will retain in to be part of thier squad nest season

aina is miles better than him but can't say of shehu

He is 34 years,no be you dey shout that he is old and should be phased out of the team, @ the bolded you say you don't rate players based on emotions then went ahead to rate Balogun based on his salary in Scotland , If I say your ball knowledge is lacking it would look like an insult

Concerning Ebuehi I wouldn’t take anything you say on players seriously because I see how you watch players and rate them based on how you like them, I also watched Ebuehi and he was on fire at the beginning of the season and on better form than Aina until the injuries came that disrupted his season and for you to compare him to Shehu is laughable
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

PS:

On the whole, good show!
for chukwueze u are right. Peserio has already initiated osihmen change but the referee was allowing the match to go on.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:51pm On Jun 09, 2022
his salary i quoted was to make you understand that the reason he left wasn't because the management tried cutting him lose because of monetary issues rather footballing issues

being 34 doesn't stop him from gaining a new contract at rangers, at worst he would have been retained as a squad member if he is of great importance to the squad

coming to ebuehi, you are the one been emotional and sentimental here and my take on his performance this season remains the same. if he is as good as hyped here i see no reasons he wouldnt be a part of the team when newbie like bassey was given a chance to fight for shirt and just in few games have occupied the left back position relegating zaidu to the bench

i have severally called out aribo who is among my favorites here whenever he performs badly for the team so do not count me among those who hype players unnecessarily just because i like them. my judgement is based on personal observation
Subzero047:

He is 34 years,no be you dey shout that he is old and should be phased out of the team, @ the bolded you say you don't rate players based on emotions then went ahead to rate Balogun based on his salary in Scotland , If I say your ball knowledge is lacking it would look like an insult

Concerning Ebuehi I wouldn’t take anything you say on players seriously because I see how you watch players and rate them based on how you like them, I also watched Ebuehi and he was on fire at the beginning of the season and on better form than Aina until the injuries came that disrupted his season and for you to compare him to Shehu is laughable

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:55pm On Jun 09, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

PS:

On the whole, good show!

I disagree with you about Osimhen part, watch it again, you will see Jose asking Moffi and one of his staff what happen that he is still waiting to be sub off, the staff point to the lines man, and that's when Pungent was subbed off

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:00pm On Jun 09, 2022
Good start for "tactically flexible" Jose Peseiro. 2-1 win over a side Rohr couldn't beat.

Moses Simon, statistically my MOTM. But via eye test and more, I pick Iwobi as My MOTM. Moses Simon definitely was a top 2 performer today

Moses Simon: Dropped a MOTM-contender performance that is completely parallel to his most recent showing vs Ecuador.

Moses Simon created the most chances in the game (4) including one big chance. Bagged 2 clean assists. Won 5/7 ground duels.

Delivered 1/4 accurate crosses. Much better ratio than against Ecuador. Covered grounds in offensive and defensive phases. Kept it simple... and didn't throw himself into unnecessary cross attempts today. He picked out his mates simply and precisely and didn't go on unnecessary dribble charades

That's just a part of the Afcon-Simon we crave. Coz the Afcon Simon indeed dribbled but with insane purpose and created chances at will.

What a game from Moses Simon and I expect more of this going forward. Yes! Simon is back! I bet he loves Competitive games. grin

Alex Iwobi (My Main MOTM): The CM and deeplying Midfield role is his for keeps. No questions asked. He has stepped up and answered my cry for deeplying creativity through the middle. A Baller reborn under the touch of Lampard-esque tutorship.

Iwobi bossed Midfield proceedings effortlessly today. He made the second most touches in the game (75). Only Semi Ajayi made more (81). Completed 55 of his 64 passes (86% passing accuracy).

Created 1 chance, involved in initiating and recirculating passing sequences of our plays. Simply was the conductor in the middle of the park.

Made 2 interceptions. Made 7 recoveries and bagged a splendid goal.

I need to speak a bit more about his goal. Moses Simon got the assist but the goal as all about the Vision and Spatial awareness of Iwobi.

He was the one who fed Moses Simon the pass before he quickly upped his pace to attack a gap which saw Simon return the pass simply and Iwobi did the rest. It was an Iwobi Masterclass. That first goal was all Iwobi.

His 10th goal in the GWG. Deserved MOTM for me.

Peseiro switched from 4-4-2 in first half to 3-5-2 (sometimes looked like a 343) in the second half. His tactical flexibility is appreciated and it saw us get more chances to bury the game for good but for profligacy from Chukwueze and also much later on from Lookman.
It's an encouraging start. He did what Rohr couldn't do. BEAT A HARD FIGHTING SIERRA LEONE.

NEXT UP IS SAO TOME WHO GOT HAMMERED 5-1 by Guinea Bissau today. Let's go for the kill.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13264) (13265) (13266) (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BascoVanVeli(m), Silentgroper(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.