Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,690 members, 7,831,136 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11758462 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13265) (13266) (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) (13271) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:00pm On Jun 09, 2022
humility33:

Bro...i know what I am saying

Their pitch is a very bad pitch only their teams win there most times
I was switching between our game and their game. The pitch was not terrible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2022
From Bassey's feet to Osimhen's head. Love to see it. The guy dey cross die

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2022
mostob:
Bro..the problem is qualified doctors are now scarce. Most of them dey Japa ..
May God help us
Qualified Abi experienced?

How dem become doctor if they are not qualified

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Good start for "tactically flexible" Jose Peseiro. 2-1 win over a side Rohr couldn't beat.

Moses Simon, statistically my MOTM. But via eye test and more, I pick Iwobi as My MOTM. Moses Simon definitely was a top 2 performer today

Moses Simon: Dropped a MOTM-contender performance that is completely parallel to his most recent showing vs Ecuador.

Moses Simon created the most chances in the game (4) including one big chance. Bagged 2 clean assists. Won 5/7 ground duels.

Delivered 1/4 accurate crosses. Much better ratio than against Ecuador. Covered grounds in offensive and defensive phases. Kept it simple... and didn't throw himself into unnecessary cross attempts today. He picked out his mates simply and precisely and didn't go on unnecessary dribble charades

That's just a part of the Afcon-Simon we crave. Coz the Afcon Simon indeed dribbled but with insane purpose and created chances at will.

What a game from Moses Simon and I expect more of this going forward. Yes! Simon is back! I bet he loves Competitive games. grin

Alex Iwobi (My Main MOTM): The CM and deeplying Midfield role is his for keeps. No questions asked. He has stepped up and answered my cry for deeplying creativity through the middle. A Baller reborn under the touch of Lampard-esque tutorship.

Iwobi bossed Midfield proceedings effortlessly today. He made the second most touches in the game (75). Only Semi Ajayi made more (90). Completed 55 of his 64 passes (86% passing accuracy).

Created 1 chance, involved in initiating and recirculating passing sequences of our plays. Simply was the conductor in the middle of the park.

Made 2 interceptions. Made 7 recoveries and bagged a splendid goal.

I need to speak a bit more about his goal. Moses Simon got the assist but the goal as all about the Vision and Spatial awareness of Iwobi.

He was the one who fed Moses Simon the pass before he quickly upped his pace to attack a gap which saw Simon return the pass simply and Iwobi did the rest. It was an Iwobi Masterclass. That first goal was all Iwobi.

His 10th goal in the GWG. Deserved MOTM for me.

Peseiro switched from 4-4-2 in first half to 3-5-2 (sometimes looked like a 343) in the second half. His tactical flexibility is appreciated and it saw us get more chances to bury the game for good but for profligacy from Chukwueze and also much later on from Lookman.
It's an encouraging start. He did what Rohr couldn't do. BEAT A HARD FIGHTING SIERRA LEONE.

NEXT UP IS SAO TOME WHO GOT HAMMERED 5-1 by Guinea Bissau today. Let's go for the kill.

The most intelligent thing that peseiro did was to bring in Etebo in the second half to shore up the midfield
If not, Sierra Leone will have equalized or scored.
Immediately he brought in Etebo the pressure on our defence decreased.
I remember in the second half when Etebo had to foul a sieraleonan player in midfield on the way to goal.
It shows we need more midfielders who can shore up the team

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
Top 5 Most Touches made vs Sierra Leone today: Super Eagles

Semi Ajayi - 81

Alex Iwobi - 75

Calvin Bassey - 68

Ola Aina - 65

William Troost Ekong - 58

Joe Aribo - 58

Aribo and Ekong were joint 5th.

Highly Involved

PS: Moses Simon was 6th with 46.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11pm On Jun 09, 2022
Yes. That was the switch from 442 to 352. If you observe closely, at some point Etebo had to drop intermittently into the center of defence flanked by Ajayi(Left) and Ekong (Right) in that 3 man backline setup allowing Bassey and Aina on either flanks to push up when needed. Simon had to attack the left but more centrally. Bassey attacked the touchlines to attempt his trademark "sweet" crosses.

I am encouraged so far. Peseiro did okay from a tactical POV. Hope he keeps it up.

Philosopher1979:

The most intelligent thing that peseiro did was to bring in Etebo in the second half to shore up the midfield
If not, Sierra Leone will have equalized or scored.
Immediately he brought in Etebo the pressure on our defence decreased.
I remember in the second half when Etebo had to foul a sieraleonan player in midfield on the way to goal.
It shows we need more midfielders who can shore up the team

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2022
daveP:
If the Aina side can just click in the crossing aspect of attack, consistently o, we would be a threat.

The midfielders that are free show shoo in for the overlapping fullbacks. Is that hard to observe and do? Bassey alone, excellent. Bassey with simon- water and oil. Especially major fault on simon refusing to see the runs of Bassey.

I can't even imagine Chuks missed that chance. I can't accept that rubbish. undecided

Who saw the Lookman big chance?

My namesake, I did ooo. Should be burying it but I commend his initial movement and control to even get off a strike in the first place off that Osimhen header flick-on but it pales in comparison to the biggest chance we squandered today no thanks to Samuel Chukwueze.

I was already screaming goal at work when I saw Osimhen do what I expected him to do. Don't shoot just lay it on a plate for the incoming Chuks from the right channel.... Ahhh Chukwueze ended me in that moment. He broke my heart... sad

But shaa... we move.... my heart Don heal back quick quick.

But that chance ehn... chaaiiii...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:25pm On Jun 09, 2022
Meanwhile how we still Played some good football and bagged all 3 pts from a losing position on that eye sore of a pitch needs to be emphasised.

What sort of rubbish farm did we play on bikonu?? Haba!!! angry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Meanwhile how we still Played some good football and bagged all 3 pts from a losing position on that eye sore of a pitch needs to be emphasised.

What sort of rubbish farm did we play on bikonu?? Haba!!! angry
watermelon farm cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2022
SA winning Morocco by a goal to nil away from home
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:33pm On Jun 09, 2022
Relax. I have equalised. My Maroc boys won't fail me. grin

charlesemeka85:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2022
cheesy
TheSuperNerd:
Relax. I have equalised. My Maroc boys won't fail me. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kindredspirit(m): 9:36pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:

Watching the quality of football being played by the South African team makes me shake my head at how piss poor the Super Eagles are.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:38pm On Jun 09, 2022
kindredspirit:

Watching the quality of football being played by the South African team makes me shake my head at how piss poor the Super Eagles are.
oga relax

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 9:41pm On Jun 09, 2022
kindredspirit:

Make we meet this same South Africa,we go still flog them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:54pm On Jun 09, 2022
Omo this Khvicha Kvaratskhelia signed by Napoli is a Baller ooo. Helped Georgia to annihilate a North Macedonian side that ousted Italy from WC Qualifiers and on their home turf too.

3 goals and 2 assists in 3 NT games this window and his last assist vs Bulgaria was world class.

Osimhen could really eat good in attack with this kid. Tagged the Golden Boy of Georgian Football, he could really serve Osimhen well in 22/23.

Time will tell but what I have seen this window says this lad is a Baller indeed.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:58pm On Jun 09, 2022
Top 5 most recoveries vs Sierra Leone today: Super Eagles

Semi Ajayi - 10

Samuel Chukwueze - 8

Alexander "The Great" Iwobi - 7

Calvin Bassey - 6

Ola Aina - 5

Possession Initiators

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:59pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:
cheesy

And My Second Favorite African side, Morocco takes the lead.

First En Nesyri... now it is El Kaabi.

I told you. My Maroc Boys won't disappoint. SA in the mud. grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:01pm On Jun 09, 2022
What is wrong with civ and their star studded team? Imagine drawing with lesotho away

Nawaoo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
Guy, e shock me too ooo. Saw the result just moments ago and my mouth was left agape... With Gradel, Zaha, Kouame, Seri, Sangare... yet couldn't even score 1 away against a side we scored for fun under Rohr.

Omo. CIV fall hands today. No caps.

charlesemeka85:
What is wrong with civ and their star studded team? Imagine drawing with lesotho away

Nawaoo

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:07pm On Jun 09, 2022
Let me find out egypt has given up on life grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:09pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Guy, e shock me too ooo. Saw the result just moments ago and my mouth was left agape... With Gradel, Zaha, Kouame, Seri, Sangare... yet couldn't even score 1 away against a side we scored for fun under Rohr.

Omo. CIV fall hands today. No caps.

they have the most expensive squad in the whole of Africa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Omo this Khvicha Kvaratskhelia signed by Napoli is a Baller ooo. Helped Georgia to annihilate a North Macedonian side that ousted Italy from WC Qualifiers and on their home turf too.

3 goals and 2 assists in 3 NT games this window and his last assist vs Bulgaria was world class.

Osimhen could really eat good in attack with this kid. Tagged the Golden Boy of Georgian Football, he could really serve Osimhen well in 22/23.

Time will tell but what I have seen this window says this lad is a Baller indeed.

He's not as good as Junior Lokosa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:20pm On Jun 09, 2022
Una don dey hype Iwobi abi?

I'm taking note oo

No be Iwobi wey I know grin grin

He would show his true colors soon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:24pm On Jun 09, 2022
charlesemeka85:
his salary i quoted was to make you understand that the reason he left wasn't because the management tried cutting him lose because of monetary issues rather footballing issues

being 34 doesn't stop him from gaining a new contract at rangers, at worst he would have been retained as a squad member if he is of great importance to the squad

coming to ebuehi, you are the one been emotional and sentimental here and my take on his performance this season remains the same. if he is as good as hyped here i see no reasons he wouldnt be a part of the team when newbie like bassey was given a chance to fight for shirt and just in few games have occupied the left back position relegating zaidu to the bench

i have severally called out aribo who is among my favorites here whenever he performs badly for the team so do not count me among those who hype players unnecessarily just because i like them. my judgement is based on personal observation

Oga most teams are already preparing for life after players at the age of 34, I already told the reason why Balogun's contract was not renewed but you are rating him based on the decision of the Rangers board not even on his play the past season or the Rangers fans opinion of him, you are very funny

@the bolded you are rating Ebuehi based on he was not invited for these matches weren't you there when Bassey was not invited for the Afcon, so because he was not invited while Shehu was invited makes him a bad player, like I said I don't take your ratings of players seriously because you don't know the criteria to rate players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:25pm On Jun 09, 2022
Taaaaa!!!! No be hype.

Afcon came and he flunked and I flogged his performances. It was shambolic. I called it as it is.

But Post-Afcon, the lad was simply "reborn". He became a rejuvenated Creature under Lampard. His workrate especially has taken a huge climb. His performance indexes speak for him.

Dude is on fire. And trust me.. I am again saying it as it is. So no Iwobi slander shall be tolerated from thee unless it is well deserved.

So keep your carpentry-survey lights off him. grin

Blueelf:
Una don dey hype Iwobi abi?

I'm taking note oo

No be Iwobi wey I know grin grin

He would show his true colors soon

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:30pm On Jun 09, 2022
Blueelf:

He's not as good as Junior Lokosa

Damn. You are good.............. grin

.............at making me laugh so hard.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:40pm On Jun 09, 2022
kindredspirit:

You have exhausted your Talk-rubbish bundles for the week!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:48pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Taaaaa!!!! No be hype.

Afcon came and he flunked and I flogged his performances. It was shambolic. I called it as it is.

But Post-Afcon, the lad was simply "reborn". He became a rejuvenated Creature under Lampard. His workrate especially has taken a huge climb. His performance indexes speak for him.

Dude is on fire. And trust me.. I am again saying it as it is. So no Iwobi slander shall be tolerated from thee unless it is well deserved.

So keep your carpentry-survey lights off him. grin

Bro, no be my fault.

The dept of carpentry hasn't been getting grants as it used to

So, I'm seeking some scientific evidence to show carpentry exists in Nigerian Midfielders grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:49pm On Jun 09, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Damn. You are good.............. grin

.............at making me laugh so hard.

That was the whole point

grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:49pm On Jun 09, 2022
By the way, andrewbaba44, how far na

Elyte89, you watch our match today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:55pm On Jun 09, 2022

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13265) (13266) (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) (13271) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Eldorado14, lovewins, Famocious(m), zicky(m), Philosopher1979, chuks404 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.