Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11777771 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) (13271) (13272) (13273) ... (16192) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 8:43am On Jun 10, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Victor Osimhen: 17 Goal Involvements (G+A) in 17 NT Starts. Beastly

Victor Osimhen's Goal today was his 11th goal in Senior NT colors across 21 caps (17 starts).

That makes it 11 goals, 6 assists for Osimhen in NT colors.

Victor, the Monster Machine. cool

Note: The Togo game back in 2017 isn't regarded as an official cap. This same game came up as invalid when the issue of Musa's 100 caps first surfaced.

Imagine Ghana or other African teams having Osimehn and you Super eagles have to defend against him 90 mins. grin grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:44am On Jun 10, 2022
daveP:
That Moses pass was actually meant for Osimhen. Iwobi broke thru and got the goal. Rewatch it. Smart guy Iwobi. Once in the box in GWG, he has a 100% goal record. Check it. Especially in Qualifiers.

Looks like JPes loves the duo of Iwobi and Aribo. I don't see any person big enough to break rank on these two. I wonder how it would seem with Nacho in the lineup. He will make that RHS click. If Simon continues to do the rubbish he does, it will be Tunisia all again when we jam a more technical, equal team, at least. Guy should be syncing with Bassey by now. Chai.

JPes loves Aina. Make Ebuehi return asap abeg. Tired of that number 12. undecided

Paseiro must love aina because he is our best RB

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 8:45am On Jun 10, 2022
Odunayaw:
I like how this man talks

Again, may NFF not be his hindrance
Nah. Instead he will be the hindrance. That's a Mourinho in disguise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 8:47am On Jun 10, 2022
Eizzy003:
Dm say wanna coach na A little touch of Mourinho.
This was what he said when he was asked by a journalist why he didnt use a DM against Sierra Leone.

Na mad coach Nigeria need. God bless Mourinho grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:48am On Jun 10, 2022

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 9:05am On Jun 10, 2022
BascoVanVeli:
highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAz0DrkCJGA

God knows Peseiro for beat that ref yesterday. Ball hits player for balls you continue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:19am On Jun 10, 2022
Odunayaw:
Qualified Abi experienced?

How dem become doctor if they are not qualified
It depends on the context. You can have the experience and yet still not qualified. Those two medical staffs standing confused over Ekong yesterday may be experienced but they are not surely experienced
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lordofstrings: 9:53am On Jun 10, 2022
I could remember someone saying Nigeria is just like mirror.

If their opponent play good football, they will play good football.
If their opponent play gidigba football they will also play it with them.

And for this reason I think Nigeria is finding it hard to score more goals no matter how poor the opponent plays

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:00am On Jun 10, 2022
Abeg when is the next match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:06am On Jun 10, 2022
Amedino99:
Abeg when is the next match

on monday away

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:31am On Jun 10, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:
Chukwueze starts, but should have been used as a supersub when Liverpool's gameplan becomes clear.

Chukwueze in that first half:

3 dribbles completed (100 percent)
2 chances created

Chukwueze in the second half:
1 dribble completed (50 percent)
0 chance created

Different games, same inconsistency.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:56am On Jun 10, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Jose Peseiro Post Match

"We are better than Sierra Leone in this game, we deserve to win. We changed the setup in the second half, I think it was only the last 10 minutes our opponent had some good moments."

"We created a lot of scoring chances, we could have won with a bigger margin, but the team needs more time and we must work."

Jose Peseiro. The real man of the match yesterday. It takes intelligence, humility, and pragmatism for a coach to realize and accept the fact that he is making a tactical error and make the right decision to remedy it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:58am On Jun 10, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

2 chances created

0 chance created

This Chukwueze guy eh......he needs a visit to his village to ask some important questions. How can a player be starting moves like Messi and ending them like an off-form Bakayoko?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:20am On Jun 10, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Jose Peseiro Post Match

"We are better than Sierra Leone in this game, we deserve to win. We changed the setup in the second half, I think it was only the last 10 minutes our opponent had some good moments."

"We created a lot of scoring chances, we could have won with a bigger margin, but the team needs more time and we must work."

So far so good, the only local asst he should allow is Finidi George. The rest can goan be backstage.
Maybe the Video analyst too. That guy is good.

Nff seem to not regard morale when choosing a coach. I've seen a spark in morale especially in training.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:33am On Jun 10, 2022
daveP:
That Moses pass was actually meant for Osimhen. Iwobi broke thru and got the goal. Rewatch it. Smart guy Iwobi. Once in the box in GWG, he has a 100% goal record. Check it. Especially in Qualifiers.

Looks like JPes loves the duo of Iwobi and Aribo. I don't see any person big enough to break rank on these two. I wonder how it would seem with Nacho in the lineup. He will make that RHS click. If Simon continues to do the rubbish he does, it will be Tunisia all again when we jam a more technical, equal team, at least. Guy should be syncing with Bassey by now. Chai.

JPes loves Aina. Make Ebuehi return asap abeg. Tired of that number 12. undecided

The pass was definitely intended for Alex.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:35am On Jun 10, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

2 chances created

0 chance created

Would u be saying this if he scored one of his 2 opportunities?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:41am On Jun 10, 2022
Good battling win. Not the best performance but a precious win nonetheless which is what is important at this stage.

Positives from the game for me:

The attacking intent of the team and sharp play.

Bassey's crosses yesterday make me feel like doing thanksgiving in church on sunday that thank God finally we have a player who can cross the ball. Even though Calvin has only played 5 odd games he's already the best crosser we've had in the team in over 10 years no caps.

Iwobi looks like he's maturing into the player we expected he should be.

It's early days but I'm impressed with Peseiro's reading of the game and quick thinking to change things if stuff is not working out on the pitch.

Negatives

Defence is still error prone and always looks likely to concede. We absolutely need a good CB not average or above average but good.

We've let in 4 goals in 3 games which is concerning, but not totally unexpected. When playing a more attacking style there will always be risk of space being exploited. I can leave with that as long as we continue to create more chances and are absolutely ruthless in burying those chances.

Hopefully Ndidi's later return will provide more defensive solidity. It will be interesting also to see how Jose utilizes Iheanacho.

Overall room for improvement but decent start.
BascoVanVeli:
highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAz0DrkCJGA

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:45am On Jun 10, 2022
Bros fear God na the weight of the pass clearly shows it was meant for Iwobi.

=
daveP:

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:49am On Jun 10, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

The pass was definitely intended for Alex.

yes it was meant for Alex, not Victor that's already marked by 2 defenders
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:50am On Jun 10, 2022
who see weytin Osimhen do Chuks after wasting the fine chance from him,
Oga kukuma pursue am komot for him base
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 11:57am On Jun 10, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Would u be saying this if he scored one of his 2 opportunities?

The fact he didn't score brother is where the inconsistency comes in.

He is the kind of player that drops a masterclass against Barca from the bench, and ghosts against Mallorca next game when starting.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2022
lordofstrings:
I could remember someone saying Nigeria is just like mirror.

If their opponent play good football, they will play good football.
If their opponent play gidigba football they will also play it with them.

And for this reason I think Nigeria is finding it hard to score more goals no matter how poor the opponent plays
Our forwards need to stat-pad against Sao Tome, top players in other national teams don't miss such opportunities to increase their goal tally for their countries.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Fotosify: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2022
A country where politicians splash billions to buy presidential form can not boast a standard playing turf. I was so mad seeing the ball bounce off the pitch as if it was played at a local primary school.

Our government is so shameless. Look at small African countries like Benin, Gabon, and even Guinea maintaining a good turf; and then compare to what a country with over 200 million people calls a "National Stadium". It is so disheartening.

Even the Picture quality is nothing to write home about. What was the essence of spending billions renovating that thing? Not even a good pitch, quack Picture quality.

CAF on their part isn't doing anything to improve the quality of football in Africa. Abuja Stadium shouldn't have been approved to host that match in the first place.

Any country with no standard playing turf should forget about hosting its home games at home.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:38pm On Jun 10, 2022
This photo lives rent-free in my head.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:39pm On Jun 10, 2022
do4luv14:
who see weytin Osimhen do Chuks after wasting the fine chance from him,

Oga kukuma pursue am komot for him base

No.

He told him not to dwell on the chance and move on. They are childhood mates.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2022
See as Japan wire Ghana

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2022
chrisooblog:
Bros fear God na the weight of the pass clearly shows it was meant for Iwobi.

=
The pass was meant for Oshimen. I just saw the goal on Iwobi Twitter. Moses eyes movement shows he didn't see Iwobi's run!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

The fact he didn't score brother is where the inconsistency comes in.

He is the kind of player that drops a masterclass against Barca from the bench, and ghosts against Mallorca next game when starting.

Missing Chances doesn't have anything to do with consistency, especially when u look at the field we played on yesterday. He put himself in good positions but things just didn't work out.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2022
cheesy dem don collect mending
Samueltemi337:
See as Japan wire Ghana

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2022
Fotosify:
A country where politicians splash billions to buy presidential form can not boast a standard playing turf. I was so mad seeing the ball bounce off the pitch as if it was played at a local primary school.

Our government is so shameless. Look at small African countries like Benin, Gabon, and even Guinea maintaining a good turf; and then compare to what a country with over 200 million people calls a "National Stadium". It is so disheartening.

Even the Picture quality is nothing to write home about. What was the essence of spending billions renovating that thing? Not even a good pitch, quack Picture quality.

CAF on their part isn't doing anything to improve the quality of football in Africa. Abuja Stadium shouldn't have been approved to host that match in the first place.

Any country with no standard playing turf should forget about hosting its home games at home.

Don't stress it.. That Abuja pitch has been overused... Our age grade teams played there several times.. Even PDP held their presidential primary there..
The problem is that in Nigeria and indeed Africa, we don't build the kind of pitch that would withstand pressure.. most stadiums in Africa are multipurpose...
Give it a few months, that Abuja stadium pitch will be looking good again.. Come election campaign period, e go suffer..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2022
joelsteron:

Nah. Instead he will be the hindrance. That's a Mourinho in disguise.
How?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 2:34pm On Jun 10, 2022
Our bredas were walloped 4:1 by Japan grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13267) (13268) (13269) (13270) (13271) (13272) (13273) ... (16192) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.