Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,296 members, 7,864,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:17 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13278) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11952687 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13275) (13276) (13277) (13278) (13279) (13280) (13281) ... (16370) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2022
I can't give a detailed feedback because I did not watch the game but I can point out two things that we must sort out.

We need to build up properly. We can not hoof the ball into tight areas when there are free spaces.

Our defenders must learn to watch free spaces occupied by the opponents, especially when we lose the ball.

This U17 team is supposed to be historical. Ugbade should know he has a record to set. He needs to sort his tactics out fast.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:04pm On Jun 12, 2022
Let us not get carried away with our U17 win but note how easily we were broken down defensively repeatedly. That, the U17 coaching crew must fix. This makes the win not worth ecstatic celebrations.

Keep in mind teams are going through our tapes now and we must block careless spaces to make an impact.

Good luck lads and best to Nduka Ugbade.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Did not watch the game but to be honest, Ugbade needs to review his strategy. That gung-ho football will just get us smoked when we meet a team clinical in front of goal.

The Ghanaian team had loads of chances to put us to the dagger but flunked their chances repeatedly.

With a clinical side, it is another story.

We can celebrate the WIN
But not throw caution to the WIND.

It's not eureka ofcoz and the Black Starlets did have chances but The Golden Eaglets had almost twice the chances they had.

See FT stats below. 7 on target vs Nigeria's 12 on target.

So if there was any team truly holding the other's head to the dagger's edge, it was Nigeria. We need to be more clinical and far more ruthless while also improving the other aspects of our plays.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:09pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:
Sorry guys but I have been too tied down to watch our games of late. I will try turning a new leaf.

BascoVanVeli thanks for the highlights.

TheSuperNerd thanks for the analysis and stats.

Others who are keeping us up-to-date, thank.you.

Always a pleasure...

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

It's not eureka ofcoz and the Black Starlets did have chances but The Golden Eaglets had almost twice the chances they had.

So if there was any team truly holding the other's head to the dagger's edge, it was Nigeria. We need to be more clinical and far more ruthless while also improving the other aspects of our plays.

As I said, can't comment fully but with respect to what I saw, the Ghanaian team had clear cut chances to score. With the game ending 4-2 and those chances missed, there is a high chance we could have ended on the disappointing side.

i believe in preparing for excellence and plugging loopholes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:11pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

I believe the team is still a work in progress but I believe we need to work on restricting such kind of ease the Ghanaians worked into us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2022
Their second goal was not even a clear cut chance. It was a dubious gift. A penalty that never existed. Look, I saw that game twice. It is true the team isn't perfect and can still improve but Ghana were literally helped to get their 2 goals. That is factual.

The Ghanaians are a good side but fair officiating would have seen the Ghanaians end the game with Zero goals as well. It would have been a total wallop. So don't let the scoreline deceive you. 4-2 was mercy thanks to that ref.

TheGoodJoe:

As I said, can't comment fully but with respect to what I saw, the Ghanaian team had clear cut chances to score. With he game ending 4-2 and those chances missed, there is a high chance we could have ended on the disappointing side.

U believe in preparing for excellence and plugging loopholes.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:17pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Their second goal was not even a clear cut chance. It was a dubious gift. A penalty that never existed. Look, I saw that game twice. It is true the team isn't perfect and can still improve but Ghana were literally helped to get their 2 goals. That is factual.

The Ghanaians are a good side but fair officiating would have seen the Ghanaians end the game with Zero goals as well. It would have been a total wallop. So don't let the scoreline deceive you. 4-2 was mercy thanks to that ref.

As I Said, the Ghanaians were not clinical, that is why it took dubious assistance to score.

That is not the problem. The problem is the ease we were broken down. We need to fix that. A more clinical side would cause us problems.

Individual strength is losing relevance. It is becoming a game of reading tactical flaws. Not quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
The left wing channel. That was our biggest weakness defensively. Michael although crowned MOTM majorly thanks to his wonder goal was caught out several times by Andrews Appiah's pace. Ozor, Oyebanjo and even Ogwor had to cover up for him couple of times at different turns.

More work is needed to plug that channel of our defence so that it doesn't become our Archilles' heel going forward in this tournament.

And to be fair... Michael is not a Natural LB. He is left footed but is actually more attack minded.

TheGoodJoe:

I believe the team is still a work in progress but I believe we need to work on restricting such kind of ease the Ghanaians worked into us.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

So if you have a clinical side, with a dubious referee in their favor, it is game over. That is my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
The left wing channel. That was our biggest weakness defensively. Michael although crowned MOTM majorly thanks to his wonder goal was caught out several times by Andrews Appiah's pace. Ozor, Oyebanjo and even Ogwor had to cover up for him couple of times at different turns.

More work is needed to plug that channel of our defence so that it doesn't become our Archilles' heel going forward in this tournament.

And to be fair... Michael is not a Natural LB. He is left footed but is actually more attack minded.

I believe it is still a work in progress and I hope the coaching crew sorts that aspect out soon. The potential is there but tactically, we should be spot on too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:27pm On Jun 12, 2022
I believe the dubious side of the refereeing was down to Ghana being the hosts (obviously).
I expect better officiating against the other sides. Not perfect but an officiating much better than what was witnessed against the starlets.

In all, expecting the team to keep improving. They can be better than what they showed judging by very honest close observers who saw the team for weeks, drilled, tested and finally picked in Abuja and also according to further findings I made on the team's evolution thus far.

Next up is Togo on Tuesday.

TheGoodJoe:

So if you have a clinical side, with a dubious referee in their favor, it is game over. That is my point.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:28pm On Jun 12, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Kenneth Omeruo to captain Nigeria against Sao Tome and Principe

This guy is now expired has nothing to offer in the HERE and NOW. And shockingly he is captain is this by merit or sentiment based preference.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

Another doomsday prophecy..
I'd screenshot it for further reference,but what's the point?

Meanwhile, Zaidu is being strongly linked to Fulham.. It's a good money move.. imagine if it happens and Zaidu walks into that Fulham team! cheesy .. Better call your pals at Fulham to call it off,or else, na premium dragging for you here

Well he can warm the bench and until the letters are signed it's just media talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

This guy is now expired has nothing to offer in the HERE and NOW. And shockingly he is captain is this by merit or sentiment based preference.

Allow the manager work Small. Let him land. He is still working on the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:47pm On Jun 12, 2022
COOL10:

Exactly. With Lukaku's recent poor form, Dessers would have easily been Belgium's new number 9.

Lukaku is not having poor form just being excluded and denied opportunity by Tuchel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOOMNAIJA: 9:49pm On Jun 12, 2022
The Super Eagles arrived Morocco today (first pic) and had their first training session ahead of their game against Sao tome tomorrow.

The team in the second picture below emerged victorious in d training match.

Will u like to see these guys start tomorrow?

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 9:59pm On Jun 12, 2022
Omo..these Burkinachildren abi na Burkinasons just tall anyhow. To top it up, they're quite athletic and fast.

They beat Niger 2-1

I no too sure if Eagle fit match them o

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 10:00pm On Jun 12, 2022
Cecco90:

How come?
Na so we see am o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 10:06pm On Jun 12, 2022
Cc...
Thegoodjoe...
I understand your points concerning the Eaglets but we need to put the condition of the pitch under consideration. I watch part of the two matches today and I can tell you all the teams are all playing similarly...hoof the ball and inshallah.
The two goals Nigeria conceded was due to the way they lost the ball when they tried the short pass method. The ball was just bouncing around.
grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:07pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 10:08pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

How did you know he is expired? You're not the coach neither are you part of the backroom staffs. Till this day, you refused to tell us the name of the exact team you once coached.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

Well he can warm the bench and until the letters are signed it's just media talk.

Zaidu will be stupid to join a useless and ekuke club like Fulham from Porto

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

Zaidu will not warm the bench at Fulham.. He will walk into that starting eleven.. The Portuguese league is ranked 6th in Europe and Zaidu won it last season.. Unless u want to argue that the championship is bigger than then Portuguese league...

Isn't it funny that the news is coming in just after you bragged that no Porto player can make Fulham first team?

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:10pm On Jun 12, 2022
Haywhy1002:
Cc...
Thegoodjoe...
I understand your points concerning the Eaglets but we need to put the condition of the pitch under consideration. I watch part of the two matches today and I can tell you all the teams are all playing similarly...hoof the ball and inshallah.
The two goals Nigeria conceded was due to the way they lost the ball when they tried the short pass method. The ball was just bouncing around.
grin

Very good point. Probably the pitch forced the coaching crew to resort to long balls. Noted. Let's see how they progress.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:10pm On Jun 12, 2022
COOL10:

Exactly. With Lukaku's recent poor form, Dessers would have easily been Belgium's new number 9.

No be only number 9

Lukaku poor for Chelsea no mean say e poor for Belgium ,to bench lukaku from the Belgian national team your name must be benzema lewandowski or prime suarez

Dessers won’t even displace batshuayi self

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 10:12pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

Ask Pajero
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:13pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Zaidu will be stupid to join a useless and ekuke club like Fulham from Porto

Fulham that can't even stay in the premier league.. but they can offer him more money and a bigger platform to showcase himself... So it won't be entirely a bad move...
Make he cash out grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Jun 12, 2022
komekn:

Lukaku is not having poor form just being excluded and denied opportunity by Tuchel.

Actually, Lukaku was atrocious in the last few games Tuchel gave him a run. He also looks out of touch tactically. Seems Tuchel's tactics does not suit him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

Fulham that can't even stay in the premier league.. but they can offer him more money and a bigger platform to showcase himself... So it won't be entirely a bad move...
Make he cash out grin

With 70-80K weekly that dude might be off to Fulham grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 10:25pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Very good point. Probably the pitch forced the coaching crew to resort to long balls. Noted. Let's see how they progress.
Yea...
The only 2 things I feel the team can improve on is the attacking department and the LB.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 10:29pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

No be only number 9

Lukaku poor for Chelsea no mean say e poor for Belgium ,to bench lukaku from the Belgian national team your name must be benzema lewandowski or prime suarez

Dessers won’t even displace batshuayi self
i agree....Some players don't just sync with a particular pattern. Belgium and Chelsea aren't playing a similar pattern of football so the Lukaku of Chelsea is different from the Lukaku of Belgium. Tuchel really fumbled.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13275) (13276) (13277) (13278) (13279) (13280) (13281) ... (16370) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, codemaniacs, Jefersoun, Nomyth, cc12(m), quickberry(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.