Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,376 members, 7,864,717 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:44 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11954928 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13273) (13274) (13275) (13276) (13277) (13278) (13279) ... (16371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOOMNAIJA: 11:59am On Jun 12, 2022
The Clement westerhof vibes.....

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:08pm On Jun 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

Another doomsday prophecy..
I'd screenshot it for further reference,but what's the point?

Meanwhile, Zaidu is being strongly linked to Fulham.. It's a good money move.. imagine if it happens and Zaidu walks into that Fulham team! cheesy .. Better call your pals at Fulham to call it off,or else, na premium dragging for you here
zaidu will be stupid to leave porto go Fulham

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:15pm On Jun 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:
Fulham might pay more and since football is a short time business, he needs all the money he can get in the short period of time he has in the game.

He can consider other clubs though if there are offers.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2022
kingphilip:

Fulham might pay more and since football is a short time business, he needs all the money he can get in the short period of time he has in the game.

He can consider other clubs though if there are offers.
you re right though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 12:38pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:
Samuel eto rejected Joel matip request to return to the national team ahead of the 2022 World Cup

Eto said this is a national team and we don’t tolerate people who think they are the special ones

Nice one from Samuel eto ,I love this

Ghana should also be smart

If it’s the Nigerian team I am sure they would welcome matip with their full hands ,saying he plays for a big club like Liverpool and he is better than our current defenders grin
Thank you for this...
If only you could practise what you preach.
When some on this thread are against reapproaching the like of Oliseh and Eze, you labeled them haters. That they're against FBs.
How is that different from Matip saga

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2022
Samueltemi337:
The matched would be played in Morocco

the pitch is good
are you sure it is Morocco because the team is currently in Sao Tome
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Haywhy1002: 12:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
humility33:

It seems yesterday ugbade tactics was long balls which not to be okay to me because that may give the opponent too many ball possession
I think the team need practice short passes more and ball retention
You're spot on. And I think they are better at short passes than the long ball. Anytime they played the ball on the ground yesterday, within seconds, there will be a defence splitting pass from one of the midfielders.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:46pm On Jun 12, 2022
Haywhy1002:
Thank you for this...
When some on this thread are against reapproaching the like of Oliseh and Eze, you labeled them haters. That they're against FBs. How is that different from Matip saga

Thank you for calling him out

He thinks we have forgotten

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:48pm On Jun 12, 2022
Haywhy1002:
Thank you for this...
When some on this thread are against reapproaching the like of Oliseh and Eze, you labeled them haters. That they're against FBs.
How is that different from Matip saga

At least you saw where I said EZE should play for naija and not after we have qualified for the World Cup then he will jump in

People are against approaching EZE and Olise is different from EZE and Olise coming to play for the eagles after we qualified for the World Cup

It’s totally different from Matip or maybe you lack comprehension

Once again Matip wants to play for Cameroon after they have qualified for the World Cup ,while people like you here don’t even want EZE or Olise for any qualifiers or close to the team .

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:53pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

At least you saw where I said EZE should play for naija and not after we have qualified for the World Cup then he will jump in

People are against approaching EZE and Olise is different from EZE and Olise coming to play for the eagles after we qualified for the World Cup

It’s totally different from Matip or maybe you lack comprehension

Once again Matip wants to play for Cameroon after they have qualified for the World Cup ,while people like you here don’t even want EZE or Olise for any qualifiers or close to the team .

You're trying to spin the narrative

You think this is pep guardiola talk abi

We all remember what you said

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:57pm On Jun 12, 2022
Blueelf:

You're trying to spin the narrative

You think this is pep guardiola talk abi

We all remember what you said

grin

You want to come and defend your Matip here ,a player who have rejected Cameron when it mattered most then coming back after 5 years and want to play for the World Cup ,compare it to EZE own grin

Meanwhile Liverpool jurgen fraud is about to pay 100 million for Darwin Nunez cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 1:07pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

You want to come and defend your Matip here ,a player who have rejected Cameron when it mattered most then coming back after 5 years and want to play for the World Cup ,compare it to EZE own grin

Meanwhile Liverpool jurgen fraud is about to pay 100 million for Darwin Nunez cheesy

grin cheesy grin. He will do better than haaland

Yes na

Na Man City dey teach us

I'm not defending matip. It's wrong what he did. He should sit his ass down in Liverpool.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:16pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:
Samuel eto rejected Joel matip request to return to the national team ahead of the 2022 World Cup

Eto said this is a national team and we don’t tolerate people who think they are the special ones

Nice one from Samuel eto ,I love this

Ghana should also be smart

If it’s the Nigerian team I am sure they would welcome matip with their full hands ,saying he plays for a big club like Liverpool and he is better than our current defenders grin
this is an unconfirmed report though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 1:39pm On Jun 12, 2022
humility33:

It seems yesterday ugbade tactics was long balls which not to be okay to me because that may give the opponent too many ball possession
You read my mind, I think Ugbade is not your Guardiola tikitaka or possession Apostle. His methodology which some other coaches use seem to be business like and we are here to score goals, not entertain, that's what I read from the few minutes I watched. Ghana definitely had loads of possession but who scored more and created more chances? His team!! So long as he gets the results I won't complain.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:54pm On Jun 12, 2022
It wasn't all long balls. Long balls may have been the predominant approach but we also had spells of quick on-the-ground passing sequences that drove our plays forward. It all depended on the phases of plays and the positions of our forwards when transiting offensively.

Ebube Okere was the guy normally initiating our passing sequences alongside Ozor Okeke especially in the first half.

But in the second half, Ozor Okeke dropped even deeper to execute the long balls obviously on instruction as the Ghanaians were fighting back and Ugbade thought we could use that if necessary to hit them on the break when we regain possession.

The key was to transit the ball faster to the speedy forwards we have in Precious and Jubril (and later on Light Eke who came on for Kevwe) capable of beating the offside traps and getting in behind the Opposition defence. It was part of our way of trying to control the game.

So it was a mix of both as the team do have good ball passers and ball holders. For me, I saw two kinds of approaches to our game. There was long balls and there was the Vertically-directed quick passing interchanges.

humility33:

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:12pm On Jun 12, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

You read my mind, I think Ugbade is not your Guardiola tikitaka or possession Apostle. His methodology which some other coaches use seem to be business like and we are here to score goals, not entertain, that's what I read from the few minutes I watched. Ghana definitely had loads of possession but who scored more and created more chances? His team!! So long as he gets the results I won't complain.

It may shock you but Amunike's U17 side of 2014-2015 and the current Ugbade U17 side have playing styles in common for the most parts at least.

The number 1 common trait is how quickly both sides transit forward. They dont or hardly dilly dally. They are either sending a quick unexpected long ball behind the defence or moving plays forward at a decent pace via smooth passing interchanges. Their passing sequences are quick and direct-playing.

Even Guardiola has evolved beyond the Tap-tap-tap tiki taka. He still plays to control possession ofcos but he also uses long balls when necessary.
Watch his games against Liverpool this season from tactical POVs and even against Madrid and you will see how effectively he used the long ball tactics for some phases of the game.

You have Mahrez, Jesus and Sterling... you are building up plays from the back or through/in the middle or from a turnover after a corner and then suddenly a gap opens and a long ball is launched behind the defence catching them off guard. Pep did this in games when he felt the long ball was a quicker way to transit and get his forwards in front of goal quicker.
Long balls served vertically can serve as a measure of control on a game or as a direct measure of attack.

Here is one of them vs Liverpool earlier this season.
Check 0.42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8L19Y5z-YE

Here is a twitter post by Athletic UK that explains it...

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1513472176183255041?t=xYc6qpe8IeA0MQV97CMo8Q&s=19

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2022
ChrisKels:

Nice job bro, nice job.

Meanwhile, that name "Odo" is pronounced "Oh d' oh", not "Oh d' Or". It is the name of a powerful deity in the Nsukka axis of Enugu State.

Ok, got it. Thank you very much Chris.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:53pm On Jun 12, 2022
So jurgen fraud didn’t see cheap players like taiwo awoniyi ,Scamacca ,Mohammed Bayo ,Patrick Schick,because that’s what they said he is good at grin

Even Haaland didn’t cost 100 million

70 million GK ,75 million CB and now a 100 million striker but guardiola is the check book coach

Jurgen fraud trying too hard to buy the epl

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:03pm On Jun 12, 2022
Ahmed Musa's new coach.

Andrea Pirlo signs for Fatih Karagümrük of Turkey

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:
So jurgen fraud didn’t see cheap players like taiwo awoniyi ,Scamacca ,Mohammed Bayo ,Patrick Schick,because that’s what they said he is good at grin

70 million GK ,75 million CB and now a 100 million striker but guardiola is the check book coach

Good day sir Andrew how far nah, you don leave me for DM soteyyy ah don dey grow green beard,

wetin dey sup na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2022
do4luv14:

Good day sir Andrew how far nah, you don leave me for DM soteyyy ah don dey grow green beard,

wetin dey sup na

No vex for me abeg

I go reason you this week I promise

My apologies pls
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Ahmed Musa's new coach.

Andrea Pirlo signs for Fatih Karagümrük of Turkey

Not a bad move ,even though he has coached juventus before

He is a rookie coach just like xavi

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

No vex for me abeg
I go reason you this week I promise
My apologies pls

ahhh why I go vex na,
no yawa na Man you be
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:00pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Not a bad move ,even though he has coached juventus before

He is a rookie coach just like xavi

let's see if he can turn Musa to a headed fowl with feathers, instead of the headless fowl he is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:05pm On Jun 12, 2022
do4luv14:

let's see if he can turn Musa to a headed fowl with feathers, instead of the headless fowl he is

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2022
do4luv14:

Pls do4luv dey give baba Musa Respect o... nothing Pirlo go add to Musa game than to manage him....Prime Musa is still better than our present wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2022
BascoVanVeli:
Match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQwSrq2_uk

Those defenders though.... Is it a 3man defence?
They should drill those guys on both positional awareness and aerial duels. They look good on the forward passes though. Light Eke reminding me of Chidera Eze of years back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
Watching Tolulope Ojo of the flying Eagles play against Akwa United with Remo Stars

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOOMNAIJA: 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2022
Osimhen airways.......

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:43pm On Jun 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:

I thought Fulham was bigger than Porto cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:46pm On Jun 12, 2022
NPFL scores

Ayaosi scored for Dakkada

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:54pm On Jun 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Halaand deal cost far more than Nunez.. look beyond the transfer fee..... And Nunez isn't well known and proven at the highest level like Halaand, so Klopp is still quite much on track with his philosophy on player recruitment.. And let's face it, the transfer market has been inflated.. Clubs have to shell out big monies to sign players now..

That being said, I can assure you that Nunez would perform better with Liverpool than Halaand will at city...

(1) (2) (3) ... (13273) (13274) (13275) (13276) (13277) (13278) (13279) ... (16371) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.