Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,903 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13825) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11618613 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13822) (13823) (13824) (13825) (13826) (13827) (13828) ... (16132) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ABIODUN105(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2022
Please football fans let swallow our pride and bring back Gernot Rohr

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

The Messiah would have prevented all this grin grin grin One pass, seven goals!!!

Mister, focus on what is in front of you.

Our midfield is Terribly terrible. Iwobi needs the right tactically balanced midfield partners. He was our only driving force vertically today.

Empty banters won't fix our midfield but conceeding to the balanced truth of our middle game dynamics will help. That would be a start.

The continued Ignorance of Alhassan Yusuf is a crime. Technically gifted with high workrate.

The non-callup of Raphael Onyedika is a crime and disservice to our team. A lad who bossed a UCL midfield battle vs Atletico Madrid.

The continued ignoring of Nwakali as well is funny and ridiculous coz he also carries a tactical solution that will help address our middle game ball playing deficiencies and poor possession recyclings.

Let us be honest... Unless we would keep repeating the same bloody mistakes.

So again, focus on what is right in front of you.

4-0. I saw it coming. I predicted a straight Portugal win on the TV show this Monday. Didn't even hesitate in my answer when asked.

It is what it is.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2022
damagnificentusb:

Chukwueze had a decent cameo. We actually played better from the hour mark but we lacked organisation in defence. We controlled the game better and played out from the back better.

Chukwueze has been disgraceful for the SE since the Afcon, decent cameo won't cut it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:02pm On Nov 17, 2022
BannedLarge:
Now I see why Rohr usually played a defensive anti football against big teams. That’s what peseiro should had done instead he decided to go toe v toe vs a team that’s more technically gifted than us

It is that Rohr could never coach the team to grow. When we are ready, we will get serious. For now, we are still in la la Land.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:02pm On Nov 17, 2022
Iwobi and Aribo swapped places in the middle constantly in that first half.

They both alternately led the press alongside Moffi. Take note.

forgiveness:

We played with two midfielders. Two upfront. Take note.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:02pm On Nov 17, 2022
hatakekakashi:

Remove Bassey, add Chukwueze

Chukwueze has had a good 15 minutes in like 2 years, no
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 10:02pm On Nov 17, 2022
forgiveness:
Some people dey shout Nwakili as if he is Inesta or De Bruyne. cheesy

Did you see how Portugal we're playing triangular football in midfield That's due to midfielders they have and the at least 2 of their forward players or strikers dropping deep to help the midfield..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2022
minfelix:

Bottled a 4 goal lead against a team that dumped out the Afcon champion(Algeria) and disgraced CIV...
And JP just lost to all mighty Portugal

since Na excuse we one dey give grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Our midfield is Terribly terrible. Iwobi needs the right tactically balanced midfield partners. He was our only driving force vertically today.

Empty banters won't fix our midfield but conceeding to the balanced truth of our middle game dynamics will help. That would be a start.

The continued Ignorance of Alhassan Yusuf is a crime. Technically gifted with high workrate.

The non-callup of Raphael Onyedika is a crime and disservice to our team. A lad who bossed a UCL midfield battle vs Atletico Madrid.

The continued ignoring of Nwakali as well is funny and ridiculous coz he also carries a tactical solution that will help address our middle game ball playing deficiencies and poor possession recyclings.

Let us be honest... Unless we would keel repeating the same bloody mistakes.

4-0. I saw it coming. I predicted a straight Portugal win on the TV show this Monday. Didn't even hesitate in my answer when asked.

It is what it is.

Wow I thought it would be a straight Nigerian win
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 10:04pm On Nov 17, 2022
fabyom:

Chukweze missed a sitter and Dennis missed a penalty while Portugal got a cheap penalty.
This game is a already a psychological pain to our players. The penalty miss just killed any iota of interest in the game. For me, the game ended when Dennis missed that penalty.

We have a good team in transition.
Nevertheless I believe, we need Nwakali as the second AM.
We move!

Bu..... but, I thought oyenka,ndidi,aribo, iwobi and etebo are our best midfielders. Infact they are the best midfielders in Africa.

And lemme add that Nwakali is not needed we have a "press resistant" midfield maestro like Bonke

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2022
minfelix:
Why do people keep hyping some unnecessary football facts that's not working for Nigeria....for God sake what all this "timely sub" was the positive yen yen yen that use to sweet some of u sef....abeg how did the timely sub affect the game...to me going forward if a coach is doing fine, pls there are some real issue/area we should criticize him, not all this irrelevant argument, na so we do sack the one that was doing late sub and employed the tiki-taka/timely sub man that could not qualify us for comon q/final of afcon....so far so good we have lost the glory days of sexy/creative midfield(okocha,kanu,mikel,oruma etc) let us pick up another pattern that suits the present super eagle's i.e defend(esp against top teams), counter,flank-dribble) keep these guys long on the pitch to play if they are not tired even if it's to 75th or 80th mins(it is not the best formation but it worked largely for the present super eagle's from 2017-2021)....
Upon all our "he is substituting earlier, wetin we gain?
We chop am against Ghana
We chop am against Algeria
We chop am Costa Rica
We chop am against Portugal
We chop am against Tunisia
We no still go worldcup tufiakwa

Because we will never achieve greatness with negative football. We just stay average for years as we were under Rohr. To the point we had to defend against South Africa.

We will wake up when we are ready to grow.

Coach that can not scout and build a team, is that a coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2022
Meliforme:

Gernot Rohr will still go on to lose.
...bro plss let's stop all these check all rohr top notch friendlies against non African teams
Serbia 2-0 Nigeria
England 2-1 Nigeria
Poland 0-1 Nigeria
Brazil 1-1 Nigeria
Ukraine 2-2 Nigeria
Argentina 2-4 Nigeria
The man really kept us closely competitive against world class team with either decent loses or dogded draws or resilient wins....He saved us some blushes against top rated teams....trophy was his major fault

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 10:06pm On Nov 17, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

As pointed out already, if Dennis played the PK against the coach's instruction, he should face consequences for that. Secondly, Paseiro needs to know when to use his 4-4-2, definitely a double pivot would have been better against an opposition like Portugal. I am not convinced about Kelvin.
Aribo was used as an AM/SS to press the RCB whenever Moffi presses the LCB but he was just jogging and walking around. There was a time Ndidi had to ask him to press. Iwobi was used in a Xhaka role while Ndidi played the Partey role. Paserio used 4-3-3. Aribo just failed to do what he was asked to do. Paserio plays double strikers in a 4-4-2. He would have started Desser/Onachu and Moffi if he intended to play 4-4-2.
Nevertheless Portugal didn't really have chances to score until after that penalty miss. I switched off my TV after that miss cos I knew there was no way Portugal won't score two or three.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:06pm On Nov 17, 2022
If this Onyeka is the one tagged brainless by our super analyst here....like the same one wey dey play with brawn, e better make the guy remain brainless o

Iwobi was great today as usual...
Aribo needs to sit down and figure out his beat position...
Etebo is still needed in that team...
Dennis should find another country. We no want am again..
Bright was so bright today. He conceded a penalty and did well to redeem himself by winning a penalty but one otukpo f**l messed it up...
Some nice passes and distribution from Uzoho...
Akpors na minus. It's better we kukuma continue with our Ndah, Valentine, Ajayi and Awaziem...
What is wrong with Ndidi?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2022

Our midfield problem still lingers. We have to fix it ASAP as the TheSupernerd has always opined,Inrespective of where such midfielders ply their trade as long as they have the skills set and attributes.
Sunday MBA was a home based player who added steel and compactiveness to our midfield in Afcon 2013 and we all saw his contribution.

Our midfield is so lean and porous.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hatakekakashi: 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2022
Subzero047:

Chukwueze has had a good 15 minutes in like 2 years, no
I thought you were talking about this game.

Wack performance from the team generally.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2022
mostob:
why sir? Ekong clearly went to Dennis to collect the ball but the f**l didn't release it.

That's why he's captain, Dennis is not even a influential talk less key squad member.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
ABIODUN105:

And stay stagnant for five years, and lead 4-0 and throw away the lead. Seems you people have forgotten Rohr so fast.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
We lost without putting much of a fight just as I exepected. Only played lenient to say I hope we go down fighting.

Get the point Pinnick's Busboy. grin

Subzero047:

Wow I thought it would be a straight Nigerian win

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Let us be honest... Unless we would keel repeating the same bloody mistakes.

It is what it is.
Sir, I am not against an invite for Nwakali tbh, but I believe it is very simplistic to attempt to say that having him in this game or the other midfielders would have effectively changed the results. Anyway, no be me be Coach, it's his responsibility to call up whoever he deems fit, If I jump up and down and shout till forever on this platform, it most likely won't change whoever JP wants to invite and how he wants to set up his team. Anyway, I must respect your strong opinions.
I seriously pray and hope that the guys you mentioned, particularly Nwakali get an invite soon and prove many of his doubters here wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:09pm On Nov 17, 2022
ABIODUN105:
To do what? Na wa o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:09pm On Nov 17, 2022
Samueltemi337:
And JP just lost to all mighty Portugal

since Na excuse we one dey give grin

And you think rohr will lose to Portugal 4-0? Make JP first score 4:0 against a formalidable team first make we get hope say he can break stubborn defence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:09pm On Nov 17, 2022
damagnificentusb:

Bu..... but, I thought oyenka,ndidi,aribo, iwobi and etebo are our best midfielders. Infact they are the best midfielders in Africa.

And lemme add that Nwakali is not needed we have a "press resistant" midfield maestro like Bonke

Hahahahahahaahahaha.... bruv... don't kill me please...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:10pm On Nov 17, 2022
codemaniacs:

Did you see how Portugal we're playing triangular football in midfield That's due to midfielders they have and the at least 2 of their forward players or strikers dropping deep to help the midfield..

Oga! This is not set or monkey post. It's a game of tactics and the Portuguese played to it.

We just assembled players and instructed them go out on the field to play without a plan.

The coach doesn't have a good game plan and from what I noticed, he is soak the pressure and hit on counter attack kind of coach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joxxy01(m): 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2022
Subzero047:
'' The level of the opposition is far below what they will face in Qatar'' these people don see us finish
I heard it too, and they proved the commentator right.. Nigeria is far below Portugal's opposition in Qatar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2022
minfelix:

And you think rohr will lose to Portugal 4-0? Make JP first score 4:0 against a formalidable team first make we get hope say he can break stubborn defence
JP won't bottle a 4 goal lead either or lose to CAR grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

That's why he's captain, Dennis is not even a influential talk less key squad member.

I understand you but we're talking about Dennis here. With the way he held on to the ball and his body language, I won't be surprised if he starts trading blows with Ekong. Leaving the ball for him was the best decision.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 10:13pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Let us be honest... Unless we would keep repeating the same bloody mistakes.

It is what it is.

This loss is a blessing in disguise. We will learn our lessons from this. To me it is good. It is better we learn now and grow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2022
ABIODUN105:
That is the best option for now

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
We lost without putting much of a fight just as I exepected. Only played lenient to say I hope we go down fighting.

Get the point Pinnick's Busboy. grin

I was actually commending you on your remarkable prediction, Nobody saw a Nigeria loss coming
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:15pm On Nov 17, 2022
Philosopher1979:

This loss is a blessing in disguise. We will learn our lessons from this. To me it is good. It is better we learn now and grow

Guy we have lost our last 5 matches grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:15pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi and Aribo swapped places in the middle constantly in that first half.

They both alternately led the press alongside Moffi. Take note.

Iwobi played deep while Aribo was upfront pressing at the same time supporting the striker.

When he was not getting enough ball he drifted deep into our half and tried to initiate attacks. That led to that 1 2 you pointed out in your post.

This is largely Pasero's tactics and not about having a 3 midfielders. Tactically speaking, 2 played upfront leaving two in the middle.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13822) (13823) (13824) (13825) (13826) (13827) (13828) ... (16132) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: uchenna55, lbrichman2, dkay51(m), Marjoribanks, enlady(f), zicky(m), Christinu2, Barryseal, Jojodjo, humility33(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.