Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,500 members, 7,954,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12457879 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14138) (14139) (14140) (14141) (14142) (14143) (14144) ... (16691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
skallion7:
Never forget the name

*Thompson* *Ishaka*

One of the lads making waves in the Flying Eagles Camp. A dribbling wizard comfortable on the wings and in the half spaces further forward. Well, time will tell if he makes the final list to the U20 Afcon but his chances are surely bright.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 1:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
Unfortunately, i have come to understand that you are not straightforward in your arguments. You are very evasive. If you ask me a question, I will answer and add some meat. You don't do that. You provide answers to a different set of questions. That's not good in any debate. It would be unfruitful. I go into an argument hoping to make headway. So if we have to have a debate about tikitaka, there has to be an understanding that we are talking about the same things, and as I usually say if we don't, we will keep talking past each other. I asked that because I wanted to know what your prototypical tiki-taka system was. You seem to throw out tiki-taka anytime a system is possession-based, in which case there are other systems that are possession--based but not tiki-taka. Besides Pep has long drifted away from the system he had at Barcelona. Kompany actually never admitted his system is tiki-taka. Attached is a snippet of a report by Athletic. Kompany clearly doesn't want to identify with tikitaka. And of course his system is possession-based too.

https://theathletic.com/3344962/2022/06/20/vincent-kompany-burnley/

Again you are not listening. The question is not whether Arteta played in a Barcelona system or not, the question is, does he deploy tiki-taka as Arsenal's manager? That his system is possession-based is not in question, but is it tiki-taka? Again what system is the prototypical tiki-taka or is close enough?
TheGoodJoe:

You literally just rant and have zero experience in football debates. If you disagree with a point, you pick it up and dissect it to prove the person wrong. You don't ask questions. For instance, when you say working with someone does not mean the person subscribes to it, you list an area why you think the person does not subscribe to it.

Learn how to break points.

Arteta:
Actually was in Barcelona academy when Guardiola played the midfield of Barcelona main team. He grew up learning the exact role Guardiola played and played that same role.

When Arteta finished his coaching school, he had offers but chose Manchester City because he wanted to work with Guardiola. So, he definitely subscribes to Guardiola's philosophy.

Xavi:
Xavi already explained how he learnt a lot from Guardiola's coaching time and how they share the same philosophy. So you can not say Xavi does not subscribe to it.

Kompany:
Before he even started coaching, in an interview, he expressed he has learnt everything in Guardiola's coaching pattern. I took it as a joke but man, he seems a replica.

With the points raised, you can see they all subscribe to Pep's philosophy.

I did not need to ask you one question.

Finito.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
daveP:
Having two players like Khava and Odegaard behind them on a national team level without even a top coach is already doom for any African team right now.
We have Iwobi already. To find the other two midfielders and a backup is a bit hard.
Onyedika as a DM is also great.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:25pm On Jan 20, 2023
mostob:
We have Iwobi already. To find the other two midfielders and a backup is a bit hard.
Onyedika as a DM is also great.

Exactly. Just iwobi right now. Dunno about Eze situation sha, but Onyedika is doing well. Will be glad if he syncs asap.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2023
daveP:

Exactly. Just iwobi right now. Dunno about Eze situation sha, but Onyedika is doing well. Will be glad if he syncs asap.
you forgot nwakali? Myopic fan like you cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:02pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:
Unfortunately, i have come to understand that you are not straightforward in your arguments. You are very evasive. If you ask me a question, I will answer and add some meat. You don't do that. You provide answers to a different set of questions. That's not good in any debate. It would be unfruitful. I go into an argument hoping to make headway. So if we have to have a debate about tikitaka, there has to be an understanding that we are talking about the same things, and as I usually say if we don't, we will keep talking past each other. I asked that because I wanted to know what your prototypical tiki-taka system was. You seem to throw out tiki-taka anytime a system is possession-based, in which case there are other systems that are possession--based but not tiki-taka. Besides Pep has long drifted away from the system he had at Barcelona. Kompany actually never admitted his system is tiki-taka. Attached is a snippet of a report by Athletic. Kompany clearly doesn't want to identify with tikitaka. And of course his system is possession-based too.

Again you are not listening. The question is not whether Arteta played in a Barcelona system or not, the question is, does he deploy tiki-taka as Arsenal's manager? That his system is possession-based is not in question, but is it tiki-taka? Again what system is the prototypical tiki-taka or is close enough?

I have earlier said that there are variations of Tiki taka.

I have explained earlier that, no two coaches have exact systems.

I have explained earlier that what Guardiola and other coaches are pointing out that the term tiki taka means passing the ball but there is more to it than just passing.

That's where it gets interesting. Roberto De Zerbi while revising his games makes notes of every pass his team makes. There are reasons behind each pass.

That is what Guardiola is saying. They don't just do tiki taka but have a reason behind it.

Enrique, Guardiola, and Tito all coached Barcelona within a certain period. Similar styles with difference.

Where does the difference comes from? Players available. Guardiola with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, will still play that variant.

When he got to Bayern, he did not want them playing with that variant because their players don't suit it. That was why Thiago Alcantara was his first signing. A player with the Barcelona DNA.

At Manchester City, different players means different approach.

Finally, when I talk Tiki Taka, I am referring to the similarities in play, possession heavy football. This became a norm under the influence of Guardiola and many quality coaches have adapted to it.

Before Guardiola, very few teams played possession heavy football.

Now after reading this, you will see you are actually not making any point against what I have been saying for years. You just read Tiki Taka and flew in like Superman.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:09pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

It is 2010/2011 I started talking variations of tiki taka when Luis Enrique took over Barcelona B. I was so obsessed with Guardiola's play that I found it intriguing seeing a more offensive variant.

You are over 11 years late to try to teach me about systems of possession heavy football.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:14pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

By the way, I read that article the period it came out. You can't be more obsessed about Kompany than me. I am literally the highest praise singer of possession heavy football in the whole Nairaland.

At the end, the talk of tiki taka dying is ridiculous. It makes no point. The truth is that possession heavy football is here to stay. We have seen top coaches adapt to it. We have seen young disciples grow to coach it. They will have young coaches coming from them.

So, it is here to stay. Guardiola has changed football forever.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

The point is simple. Possession heavy football. I coined that phrase myself to help misdirection and misconceptions.

Now, Kompany, Xavi, Arteta, Inzaghi and a host of others are possession heavy coaches. This was not a trend before Guardiola.

Finito.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:32pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

“Possession with impact,” is how Kompany described his style to Rio Ferdinand’s Five podcast last year. “I include impact so I don’t get put down as just possession, tiki-taka.

“I like mobility and runs to free up people between the lines and choose if you want to play between the lines or deep (over the top). I have to have an aggressive team.”

Now you brought this up to try and say he, Kompany is different from Guardiola. cheesy grin cheesy grin

However, will you say Guardiola's Barcelona did not play with impact? Will Messi have scored those amount of goals and Barcelona dominate teams with loads of goals without playing with impact?

Kompany is actually echoing Guardiola's idea. Guardiola does not like the tiki taka term because there is more to the game than just passing. He did not say my Barcelona team was just passing. Guardiola was pointing out that the team did more than just passing.

That is why I coined that team possession heavy football.

Under Pep Guardiola, the biggest thing Kompany learnt was the importance of using and creating space through off-the-ball movement. Stretching the pitch using the full-backs creates more space between the lines for his attacking midfielder. Kompany wants those players to be mobile and technical.

At this point of the article, it is elaborated what playing with impact is. And guess what? It is in black and white that Kompany learnt how to play possession heavy football with an impact from Guardiola. So the article you posted as usual, clearly counters the idea of Kompany being different from Guardiola.

Finito.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:
You did not get the joke. I didn't intend to post any article. How many top 4 teams in the top 5 major leagues use tiki-taka? Don't use stats "they are taking over", "top of the league" blablabla. cheesy grin. Bullshit. The season is not over. Come to me at the end of the season when we have a better picture. Before we continue, how many coaches in the past 10 years have consistently deployed the tiki-taka system?
Even internationally the method is not normative. It is on the fringes patronized to bumbling effect by Spain alone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

Look at this excerpt from the article you posted, and look at this comment I made in March 2021. It shows where Kompany got the 4-4-2 variation to his play from and will make you understand how deeply I understand this systems.

The front four

In possession, Anderlecht’s formation looked more like 4-2-4 or 4-2-2-2 because Kompany gives his four attacking players the licence to roam and float.

A problem Burnley had with the 4-4-2 system was the disconnect between midfield and attack, with their two strikers isolated. Kompany is keen to avoid that — his wide midfielders tend to operate centrally and more closely to the forwards.

TheGoodJoe:

My take is that we switch to a highly offensive 4-4-2 system similar to what Pellegrini did with Manchester City

Pellegrini does not play with wingers but two creative midfielders taking slightly wide positions. I think Guardiola refers to it as the false 8 position. Leaving running lanes for the full backs to join the attack from time to time.

This enables the false 8s, I prefer calling them false wingers to help supply the forwards ammunition.

The position will clearly suit Iwobi.

The roles Silva and Nasri played under Pellegrini.

https://www.nairaland.com/3018619/super-eagles-thread-road-afcon/10335#100102172

This will enable understand how in-depth I am with this stuff.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
komekn:

Deceitful fraudster creating your own self birthed narrative, using primary school psychology.

You think if you keep repeating a LIE then you can create a truth . It's delusional, illusory truth effect keep repeating the lie to create a truth from Falsehood.

You NEVER quote my posts in context of the rebuttals response, and or the post o am responding too , you even omit the dates. That's a big CON taking text out of its context to support your false narrative.

You clearly lack the capacity and understanding to appreciate my write up , I apologize that it is incoherent to you. I assume certain level of education, I am clearly mistaken , where you are concerned.

Are you not too old to engage in such spiteful and totally unprovoked name calling?

You should elevate discourse here not degrade it with mudslinging
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
Are there some good players to look out for in this Ladan Boso's flying Eagles team, abi make we mind our business?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:42pm On Jan 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
you forgot nwakali? Myopic fan like you cheesy

When he upgrades, I'll be less myopic tongue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
ChrisKels:
Are there some good players to look out for in this Ladan Boso's flying Eagles team, abi make we mind our business?
Daga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
maidaboi:
Daga

I no rate that Daga boy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

Why should you 'win' the argument. Therein lies the need to play you tiki taka. Hope you get my point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Based on the midfield options we have, capped and uncapped, there is one midfield 3 that can bring out the best of this 3-man frontline in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 but Most Nigerian fans as always are myopic and aren't ready for it because they don't even know what will work for the team.

Simon, ideally, won't even start in our strongest tactically/technically balanced 4-3-3. His place is on the bench.

IMO, it isnt the lack of options in midfield that's affecting the team,.. it's picking the right players and formation..
Nwakali might just be what we need,but the reality is that he won't get called up anytime soon...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:28pm On Jan 20, 2023
daveP:
Having two players like Khava and Odegaard behind them on a national team level without even a top coach is already doom for any African team right now.

Iwobi is that guy... If Etebo was technically good like maybe Kante, then we won't have much problem..

Ndidi at DM.. Etebo playing B2B and Iwobi at AM...
But Etebo is mostly all pace, energy and little technicality...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:29pm On Jan 20, 2023
cheesy
daveP:

When he upgrades, I'll be less myopic tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Where did I state otherwise? This is exactly what I have been singing @bolded. The Options are there but we ignore them.

The Midfield options we have combining, both capped and uncapped lads, gives us a chance to ACTUALLY pick the most tactically/technically balanced midfield but reality is WE WON'T.

The biggest problem of the Super Eagles lie in midfield followed by the CB pairing. If we fix these 2 areas, then our transition game both in offensive and defensive phases will massively improve.

Fact is we would not be able to fully take advantage of the attacking firepower we have in the final third if our CB and Midfield areas remain the way they are. Those two areas are keys to the first and second buildup phases of our plays so if they stay wack, then don't expect our attack to flourish so much.

And ofcos Nwakali won't be called anytime soon because we have myopic coaches too.
And this, inspite of the fact that he is among the midfield options that has the exact attributes we need to uplift our middle game plays plus he is among our most inform midfielders in Europe today. He is top 4 easily.

Nwakali, Alhassan, Onyedika, Iwobi are the lads from whom we can easily put together a starting midfield 3 tactically sound and synced enough to give us control, workrate and smoothness in our middle game plays.

Ndidi is still needed but he has his limitations which affects our middle game plays.
Onyeka too can be a good squad player but doesn't have enough requisite attributes to improve our middle game plays. Exactly why he can't be considered a starter.

The team needs Midfielders with great understanding of space in the middle in relation to the ball and has the forward thinking passing trait and ball playing nous to truly bring our final third assasins into play. Defensively all 4 first MF options are also astute.

We have enough of defensive-thinking MFs who don't have the ball playing nous and high ball intelligence to elevate our middle game. What we need are MFs with a mix of both.

Danielnino00:

IMO, it isnt the lack of options in midfield that's affecting the team,.. it's picking the right players and formation..
Nwakali might just be what we need,but the reality is that he won't get called up anytime soon...

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
From myopic fans to myopic coaches cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Ohaka Dominion.

Lekan Oyedele is another but not sure if his club will release him. Same scenario with Ahmed Abdullahi and Ibrahim Muhammed.

But Ohaka Dominion is surely one to watch.

Daniel Daga and Onuche Ogbelu are few others.

When the final list is out, I will give a brief summary of the lads to look out for.

ChrisKels:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2023
I will ask again and I want you to say it for everyone to hear. You no dey answer questions straight. Before you write another essay, read my question carefully. Your entire account here did not connect Kompany's system to tiki-taka. You are only trying to demonstrate you know what he deployed at Anderlecht and now at Burnley. We can discuss that another time. However, that's not the question at all. The question is does Kompany deploy tiki-taka? Pls answer Yes or No, then explain.
TheGoodJoe:

Look at this excerpt from the article you posted, and look at this comment I made in March 2021. It shows where Kompany got the 4-4-2 variation to his play from and will make you understand how deeply I understand this systems.

The front four

In possession, Anderlecht’s formation looked more like 4-2-4 or 4-2-2-2 because Kompany gives his four attacking players the licence to roam and float.

A problem Burnley had with the 4-4-2 system was the disconnect between midfield and attack, with their two strikers isolated. Kompany is keen to avoid that — his wide midfielders tend to operate centrally and more closely to the forwards.

https://www.nairaland.com/3018619/super-eagles-thread-road-afcon/10335#100102172

This will enable understand how in-depth I am with this stuff.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 7:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
O yes, I do. But we can hope sometimes, can't we? cheesy grin. I know say you no dey too waste time.
Mujtahida:

Why should you 'win' the argument. Therein lies the need to play you tiki taka. Hope you get my point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
daveP:

Olise and Eze are also options but I didn't mention them because I'm concerned about their defensive aspect and also because they're not our players.
Alhassan is also an option but I've not watched him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:
I will ask again and I want you to say it for everyone to hear. You no dey answer questions straight. Before you write another essay, read my question carefully. Your entire account here did not connect Kompany's system to tiki-taka. You are only trying to demonstrate you know what he deployed at Anderlecht and now at Burnley. We can discuss that another time. However, that's not the question at all. The question is does Kompany deploy tiki-taka? Pls answer Yes or No, then explain.

Just a simple Google search will answer your question.

The image below reveals something critical that J talked about earlier. Possession heavy which is a term I coined. You can see theanalyst using a similar term, Heavily possession based. That is a system Guardiola made famous and influenced it.

Kompany is a possession heavy football coach, which is pure Guardiola.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
Valentine Ozonwafor has not been playing lately. Wetin dey occur
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
benji93:

I have made it easy for you and I have connected as easily as you can ever get.

Possession heavy football is Guardiola's gift to modern day football. Anyone you see doing it today studied him and Drew from him.

In a nutshell, with possession heavy football gaining popularity, tiki taka is not dying.

I have clarified enough. The only thing you can do now is go through my post and tell me if there are points that are wrong.

I have given a good summary to bring you up to speed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Off topic
Dani Alves has been sentenced to prison without bail for allegedly r*ping a 23 year old at a night club in Barcelona on 30th December last year. He will be transferred to jail.

[Via: COPE]

So sad mehn

(1) (2) (3) ... (14138) (14139) (14140) (14141) (14142) (14143) (14144) ... (16691) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, TheGoodJoe(m), Yachambliss(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.