Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11648753 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14191) (14192) (14193) (14194) (14195) (14196) (14197) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
ChrisKels:

Should they now leave all the talking for you just because you were the first to talk about him? Na this kind talk dey make CharlesEmeka vex oo hmmm.

By the way, who are the other prospects, especially in our midfied? I mean youth prospects
leave the maggot mk em dey display

I hv before said in this thread that our best talents in the local scene are in academies, grassroot and NNL clubs not the npfl. My only and continuous attack is on our npfl clubs and players alone

No be how em ego push go create em own thread hoping his puppets go patronize am but ran back here after days of loneliness 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well wetin u Dey expect from pikin wey still Dey wear rainbow 🌈 colored canvass(sneakers)🤣🤣🤣

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2023
charlesemeka85:
leave the maggot mk em dey display

I hv before said in this thread that our best talents in the local scene are in academies, grassroot and NNL clubs not the npfl. My only and continuous attack is on our npfl clubs and players alone

No be how em ego push go create em own thread hoping his puppets go patronize am but ran back here after days of loneliness 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well wetin u Dey expect from pikin wey still Dey wear rainbow 🌈 colored canvass(sneakers)🤣🤣🤣

Na TheSuperNerd you dey talk to like this? No wahala, you hear from him. Gen gen!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:42pm On Feb 02, 2023
A few of them are in the NTs.

Ozor Okeke. Ebube Okere. Raphael Oyebanjo. These are a few of the names I have dropped and they are members of the Current U17 team that excelled at the Wafu B U17 Qualifiers.

It is true that they could be more of these top talents in the National teams be it youth or senior if the NFF truly have a bonafide scouting department from the grassroots level up to the senior level.

But to be honest, that is one angle. I understand the Current U20 would have seen certain players make the expected provisional 25-man list for the upcoming U20 Afcon but their clubs refuse to release them. Examples are Lekan Oyedele from Remo Stars now at Feirense in Portugal and Ahmed Abdullahi who is with Jong KAA Gent (feeder side of Gent). The chances of them making the side is slim.

Finally, yes, I am one guy but I enjoy digging for talents and analysing all our players from the grassroots to the top level, identifying how best they can serve us in the long run and profiling their attributes. It is a thing of Joy I make out flexible time for coz I want the best for Nigerian football.

Truth is it's not that hard as long as one organises himself and makes good use of the tech/online tools that make these possible.

Youssouf Ndayishimiye is not Nigerian. He is Burundian and he is an example of how one can use scouting tools to uncover hidden gems. From Burundi to Turkey and now to France. Truth is we have lazy folks in the glass house and in our NFF Technical department. Bunch of lazy fellows.

chrisooblog:
Honestly when we drag the NFF it's for things like this. You're just one person but see the thorough scouting you have done just from sitting in front of your laptop.

Why aren't these individuals you have taken time and effort to spotlight anywhere near the cadet national teams? We have a long way to go with football administration in this country.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:43pm On Feb 02, 2023
ChrisKels:

Na TheSuperNerd you dey talk to like this? No wahala, you hear from him. Gen gen!!
chriskel umu muo 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
Hmmm... Seeing how well he is doing currently. He might fancy a shot with the English three Lions in the near future.

I agree he would easily walk into USA's side but it's up to the lad. Only he knows what he wants.

Ogochuks101:

Yes we must cap that boy. But I think he might want to go with the US as they don't have a good striker at the moment. I also prefer him playing for the USA than him sitting on the bench for Harry Kane.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
Non-Nigerian related but just seeing this...

Raphael Varane retires from International football at 29. Interesting. Well, he's won almost everything so.

I really reckoned he would make it to Euro 2024 but we'll, it's his decision.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
Cc TheGoodJoe

You need to see Julian Nagelsmann's tactical innovation applied against Mainz yesterday.

A 3-1-4-2 which enabled him to create overload scenarios across the 3 phases of play from Defensive third to the offensive third.

He did this despite Mainz playing a 5-man backline in a somewhat 5-3-2/5-2-3 approach.

For Bayern, it was 3 CBs... Pavard occupying RCB. Cancelo as RM. Coman as LM. Kimmich as the single Pivot and Musiala and Sane ahead of him as #8s working the left and right half spaces respectively behind Muller and Choupo Moting.

This enabled them create a 6v5 scenario in their offensive phase in the final third.

It was pretty brilliant to see.

Final result. A 4-0 win away from home.

Cancelo is already flying under Nagelsmann who is obviously using him as a wide offensive weapon.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:33pm On Feb 02, 2023
Victor Osimhen's strike against Roma wins Serie A goal of the month for January!

I knw say 1 maggot here go don hit head for wall say I first am post am 🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 3:20pm On Feb 02, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Victor Osimhen's strike against Roma wins Serie A goal of the month for January!

I knw say 1 maggot here go don hit head for wall say I first am post am

U12

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:23pm On Feb 02, 2023
I love the style of giving all for your NT and then retire early to focus on club football. The player benefits the most especially if everyone knows what they've done for club and country. Some are controversial anyways.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:27pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Cc TheGoodJoe

You need to see Julian Nagelsmann's tactical innovation applied against Mainz yesterday.

A 3-1-4-2 which enabled him to create overload scenarios across the 3 phases of play from Defensive third to the offensive third.

He did this despite Mainz playing a 5-man backline in a somewhat 5-3-2/5-2-3 approach.

For Bayern, it was 3 CBs... Pavard occupying RCB. Cancelo as RM. Coman as LM. Kimmich as the single Pivot and Musiala and Sane ahead of him as #8s working the left and right half spaces respectively behind Muller and Choupo Moting.

This enabled them create a 6v5 scenario in their offensive phase in the final third.

Cancelo is already flying under Nagelsmann who is obviously using him as a wide offensive weapon.

Very nice setup but no matter how people break this formation, I still see it as a 5-3-2 formation. The deviations comes from the postional changes of the "flying full backs", that is the way I see the wide players in this role.

They have the liberty to fire forward, due to multiple centrally aligned players to fall in to fill the gaps left.

I also like the 3CBs idea (I used to hate it before but grown to become my ideal defensive setup), because, in a two-defensive setup, the central defensive midfielders forget their primary duty is to shield the defenders. In this setup, the central defensive midfielder is drawn back to form a three-man defense. The DM now has a primary duty to shield the defenders.

The idea of a pivot is cool, that enables link between the defense and midfield. However, I prefer playing with what I call a double box-to-box pivot. The kind of role Yaya Toure and Fernandinho played for Pellegrini. They can breakline with runs or passes. If there is a free channel, dash for it (with or without the ball). In tight conditions, build with tidy passes. Remember both Fernandinho and Yaya were brilliant mnemonic passers.

I like a creative midfielder in front of the double pivot. His job is to break defensive walls with technical ball handling and incisive passes.

I have always liked two finishers.

I always looked at it as a 5-3-2 because the flying full backs should always know that they must always track back to help the defense. Sprinting back when out of possession is a MUST.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Cc TheGoodJoe

Either way, smart setup by Nagelsmann. Looks formidable. Wished I watched the game. I hope Kimmich was brilliant.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:35pm On Feb 02, 2023
In one word, as usual, "Exceptional". 😎

TheGoodJoe:

Either way, smart setup by Nagelsmann. Looks formidable. Wished I watched the game. I hope Kimmich was brilliant.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ogochuks101: 3:52pm On Feb 02, 2023
Unrelated but Mason Greenwood is back. All charges against him has been dropped.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:53pm On Feb 02, 2023
True, the positional change relationships between 5-3-2, 3-5-2 and this 3-1-4-2 make it a decently flexible approach defensively and offensively.

One of the few differences between how you see it through the 5-3-2 variation scope and Nagelsmann's Yesterday was that in Bayern's defensive positioning/Rest Defence transitions, Bayern most times had a 4v3 situation. Kimmich as the single pivot falling to help the back 3 overload vs Mainz's attacking 3. Also, if any of Mainz's MFs pressed Kimmich, they left gaps in the middle which Bayern were happy to exploit as it created a 3v2 or 5v3 in the middle in Bayeen's favour.

All in all, with respect to the Super Eagles, my thinking is if we are to play a 3-5-2/5-3-2, it is imperative to play a midfielder dutiful enough to screen the back 3 while also opening up for and getting involved heavily in 2nd phase buildup plays. His passing range and comfort on the ball must be above average. His Vertical playing and switch playing must be tops.

Also, ofcos the Wingbacks in this setup can fall back to help make the 4 or 5-man backline overload (Double/Single Pivot+3CBs) become a 6 or 7-man backline overlaod (vs any number the opposition will have in their offensive transitions) to enable us pass our way out of the press or just block all possibly passing/Exploitation lanes the opposition may use against us depending on the in-game situations.

TheGoodJoe:

Very nice setup but no matter how people break this formation, I still see it as a 5-3-2 formation. The deviations comes from the postional changes of the "flying full backs", that is the way I see the wide players in this role.

They have the liberty to fire forward, due to multiple centrally aligned players to fall in to fill the gaps left.

I also like the 3CBs idea (I used to hate it before but grown to become my ideal defensive setup), because, in a two-defensive setup, the central defensive midfielders forget their primary duty is to shield the defenders. In this setup, the central defensive midfielder is drawn back to form a three-man defense. The DM now has a primary duty to shield the defenders.

The idea of a pivot is cool, that enables link between the defense and midfield. However, I prefer playing with what I call a double box-to-box pivot. The kind of role Yaya Toure and Fernandinho played for Pellegrini. They can breakline with runs or passes. If there is a free channel, dash for it (with or without the ball). In tight conditions, build with tidy passes. Remember both Fernandinho and Yaya were brilliant mnemonic passers.

I like a creative midfielder in front of the double pivot. His job is to break defensive walls with technical ball handling and incisive passes.

I have always liked two finishers.

I always looked at it as a 5-3-2 because the flying full backs should always know that they must always track back to help the defense. Sprinting back when out of possession is a MUST.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:02pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Non-Nigerian related but just seeing this...

Raphael Varane retires from International football at 29. Interesting. Well, he's won almost everything so.

I really reckoned he would make it to Euro 2024 but we'll, it's his decision.

If it was a Nigerian player now,some people would have said we are chasing our veterans from the national team...
TBH,not many players enjoy playing for their national teams like that.. thats why they retire from there first before ending their career...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
So yes, Victor Osimhen deservedly wins Serie A's Goal Of The Month thanks to his Goal of the Season Contender BUTTTT...

Ademola Lookman makes Sofascore's Euro Top 5 leagues Team Of the Month (TOTM), January 2023

That's nicely done by Mola. 😎

His Serie A Goals Race battle🔥🔥🔥 with Osimhen continues... 😁

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:10pm On Feb 02, 2023
True point, you make.

Also, Varane leaves the scene of his own accord. France are stacked in that position with very exciting solid CB options coming through fast like your own Ibrahima Konate and Arsenal's Saliba among loads of others. So France is in safe hands.

Danielnino00:

If it was a Nigerian player now,some people would have said we are chasing our veterans from the national team...
TBH,not many players enjoy playing for their national teams like that.. thats why they retire from there first before ending their career...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:12pm On Feb 02, 2023
Folarin Balogun: Expectedly, makes Sofascore's and Whoscored's Ligue 1 TOTW. Also emerges POTW.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:13pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
True point, you make.

Also, Varane leaves the scene of his own accord. France are stacked in that position with very exciting solid CB options coming through fast like your own Ibrahima Konate and Arsenal's Saliba among loads of others. So France is in safe hands.

Imagine Musa bowing out on his own accord to give way for other promising youngsters 🥵🥵🥵

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:13pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
True, the positional change relationships between 5-3-2, 3-5-2 and this 3-1-4-2 make it a decently flexible approach defensively and offensively.

One of the few differences between how you see it through the 5-3-2 variation scope and Nagelsmann's Yesterday was that in Bayern's defensive positioning/Rest Defence transitions, Bayern most times had a 4v3 situation. Kimmich as the single pivot falling to help the back 3 overload vs Mainz's attacking 3. Also, if any of Mainz's MFs pressed Kimmich, they left gaps in the middle which Bayern were happy to exploit as it created a 3v2 or 5v3 in the middle in Bayeen's favour.

All in all, with respect to the Super Eagles, my thinking is if we are to play a 3-5-2/5-3-2, it is imperative to play a midfielder dutiful enough to screen the back 3 while also opening up for and getting involved heavily in 2nd phase buildup plays. His passing range and comfort on the ball must be above average. His Vertical playing and switch playing must be tops.

Also, ofcos the Wingbacks in this setup can fall back to help make the 4 or 5-man backline overload (Double/Single Pivot+3CBs) become a 6 or 7-man backline overload (vs any number the opposition will have in their offensive transitions) to enable us pass our way out of the press or just block all possibly passing/Exploitation lanes the opposition may use against us depending on the in-game situations.

Makes sense. Will do a bit of research on it.

However, based on my perspective, a single pivot needs to be far above ordinary pivots. Like Ilkay Gundogan or Fernandinho in his prime. While I feel a double will do wonders, without being extraordinary.

Either way, it works fine on both setups but I like the 3-back setups. I feel it offers offensive and defensive flexibility while plugging gaps that takes place during transitions in play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Feb 02, 2023
Danielnino00:

Imagine Musa bowing out on his own accord to give way for other promising youngsters 🥵🥵🥵

😁🤣

The Imagination🤡🤡🤡

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:29pm On Feb 02, 2023
Nottingham still signing players. They just signed Dede Ayew.

Forget Chelsea... these guys are the real transfer market MVPs. 😂😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 4:31pm On Feb 02, 2023
charlesemeka85:

Haha

cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:36pm On Feb 02, 2023

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:41pm On Feb 02, 2023
Yes ofcos, as a single pivot, you gotta have it all or almost all on lock.

Interesting that an EPL-seasoned John Mikel Obi in his prime fits the single pivot profile based on the midfield path he took at Chelsea even though we both know he started out as a #10.

Not every CDM is a Single Pivot profile. Some are better having partners in a double pivot.

TheGoodJoe:

Makes sense. Will do a bit of research on it.

However, based on my perspective, a single pivot needs to be far above ordinary pivots. Like Ilkay Gundogan or Fernandinho in his prime. While I feel a double will do wonders, without being extraordinary.

Either way, it works fine on both setups but I like the 3-back setups. I feel it offers offensive and defensive flexibility while plugging gaps that takes place during transitions in play.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 4:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
lovewins:
Algeria 2023 Africa u-17 cup of Nations

Golden Eaglets in Group in group B

Nigeria
Morocco
South Africa
Zambia
I'm more interested in this team than ladan bosso's team,
Laden bosso is not likely to discover any good player for us,just waste of time and money .
But in ugbade's team,there is more hope.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:58pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Yes ofcos, as a single pivot, you gotta have it all or almost all on lock.

Interesting that an EPL-seasoned John Mikel Obi in his prime fits the single pivot profile based on the midfield path he took at Chelsea even though we both know he started out as a #10.

Not every CDM is a Single Pivot profile. Some are better having partners in a double pivot.

Every time I watch Rodri play the single pivot role, I just imagine Mikel Obi there. He would have excelled in such a system. That is a high lined single pivot role. Mikel Obi is even more technical than Rodri and he is also highly tactically disciplined. Brilliant defensively.

Mikel Obi would have been perfect in a single pivot role. No doubt about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:04pm On Feb 02, 2023
charlesemeka85:

I think it's infantile egoism and on a face less forum to say , I SAW HIM FIRST.

And if even so, did you get paid ❓

It says something about one's self esteem and sense of self value.

That strike by V.O. was exceptional Indeed he is beginning to do this more often. The more often and the more consistently then you can be called world class. Particularly after several seasons.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
You are close to my line of thinking as regards why I look forward to the U17 Afcon much more than I do the U20 Afcon starting this month.

Nevertheless, my interest in both teams stay strong but the U17 Interest is just way stronger for me.

Napoleon55:

I'm more interested in this team than ladan bosso's team,
Laden bosso is not likely to discover any good player for us,just waste of time and money .
But in ugbade's team,there is more hope.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:13pm On Feb 02, 2023
This is a truly astounding.

Folarin Balogun is now the highest goal scorer in his second season of professional football ⚽ at 21.

The season is just crossed the half way mark and he already got 14 goals higher than Mbappe and Neymar from essentially a Arsenal academy player to well what can we call him now ❓

We could speculate he might hit 20 goals has any African players hit those numbers in the French league before. ❓❓

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:14pm On Feb 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

😁🤣

The Imagination🤡🤡🤡

Alahjai Musa isn't going anywhere soon cheesy

Man's a legend already on and off the pitch...

(1) (2) (3) ... (14191) (14192) (14193) (14194) (14195) (14196) (14197) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, Charly17(m), elyte89, Marjoribanks, GeneralDae and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.