Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11680141 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15149) (15150) (15151) (15152) (15153) (15154) (15155) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:14am On Oct 17, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Highlights don.dey already for YouTube. For me, besides Uzoho's blunder, I saw a lot of positives that can be built upon in my opinion. I hope JP learns from the errors and am looking forward to the next games. While I understand his backing of Uzoho, I think enough is enough.
You understand? 😯please make us understand too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:16am On Oct 17, 2023
kingphilip:

Link please.
Its on YouTube na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ihenzy(m): 7:31am On Oct 17, 2023
In two games we conceded 4 goals and scored 5.
However, 3 of the four goals conceded have been from direct free kicks.
It's worrisome for two reasons to me
1. How do we defend around our box that we tend to commit this blunders that results to free kicks.
2. Since we are yet to figure out how to defend against setpieces.
In conclusion, we also need to sit up in this area while shopping for Uzoho replacement.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:53am On Oct 17, 2023
komekn:

Omeruo is like expired drugs no longer effective just there for decoration and past glories.

Forget to say Onye and Onye who and who will give creativity apart from Fisayo that midfield is just carrying water and running around, huffing and puffing but unable to blow any house 🏡 down .

Essentially a dead on arrival midfield apart from Fisayo.
The same Fisayo that was lost in the match? Free your mind from bias.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:58am On Oct 17, 2023
chuks404:
Is that our coaches don't see? Sadiq should never ever be invited. That guy is very clueless.
From now till forever, Sadiq is not an option but they keep inviting him. He should be dropped. Even on this thread once he scores one or two goals for his club, some will start blowing his trumpet.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:28am On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

From now till forever, Sadiq is not an option but they keep inviting him. He should be dropped. Even on this thread once he scores one or two goals for his club, some will start blowing his trumpet.
Make we no overflog this Sadiq matter. It's not like he has been receiving back to back invitation.
Awoniyi got injured and Peseiro invited a known face to the NT.

It is better we know the pretenders in our team now. No one here will be called a prophet for guessing correctly our striking department [all things being equal]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:35am On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

this till forever talk is far fetched, he is not playing for a champions league team by luck and yes his invite was not merited

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2023
Meliforme:
THE REVELATIONS AT THESE FRIENDLY MATCHES

1. Calvin Bassey

Calvin is indisputably the number one revelation at these friendly matches. His positioning has transitioned from mediocre to excellent.

It was not just his duels, tackles, interceptions and other actions that involved defending, but his passes of the ball. He is a genuine ball playing defender. From well calculated short passes, to play progressive long balls, to creative passing. He is a defender that can create goal scoring scenarios. He alongside Iwobi affected very well how we played against Madagascar when they were both subbed in at the second half.

You can see that he doesn't just defend, he is a controller as well as an attacking threat.

He has a similar playing style to Kenneth Omeruo whom many of you do not rate. Both know how to command their area.

If Bassey continues on this trajectory for club and country, then he is definitely world class.
Calvin Bassey with 11 caps a revelation against Saudi Arabia and Mozambique?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:43am On Oct 17, 2023
Meliforme:
THE REVELATIONS AT THESE FRIENDLY MATCHES

1. Calvin Bassey

Calvin is indisputably the number one revelation at these friendly matches. His positioning has transitioned from mediocre to excellent.

It was not just his duels, tackles, interceptions and other actions that involved defending, but his passes of the ball. He is a genuine ball playing defender. From well calculated short passes, to play progressive long balls, to creative passing. He is a defender that can create goal scoring scenarios. He alongside Iwobi affected very well how we played against Madagascar when they were both subbed in at the second half.

You can see that he doesn't just defend, he is a controller as well as an attacking threat.

He has a similar playing style to Kenneth Omeruo whom many of you do not rate. Both know how to command their area.

If Bassey continues on this trajectory for club and country, then he is definitely world class.

Your club and league consistent outstanding top performances are the basis for national team selection.

Look at Bassey trajectory from Academy player to Rangers to Ajax to Fulham quality doesn't hide.

Now compare the downward trajectory of Omeruo is not on the same page and level as Bassey and never had been.

He expired a long time ago should not be in the SE .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:43am On Oct 17, 2023
maidaboi:
this till forever talk is far fetched, he is not playing for a champions league team by luck and yes his invite was not merited
Honestly Peseiro should be blamed for Sadiq invitation not Sadiq…the boy was out for a season and what do we expect….

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:55am On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

I've never been a fan of Sadiq, even at the Olympics games he played where so many were hyping him. He's not just my kind of striker, I'll rather pick onuachu to Sadiq if at all I want to go for a tall stricker without bearing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:02am On Oct 17, 2023
Kog45:
Calvin Bassey with 11 caps a revelation against Saudi Arabia and Mozambique?

His revelation as a Marshall in defense.
I was surprised at the rate at which he has shown improvements.

I will change the caption replacing the preposition at with of
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:13am On Oct 17, 2023
maidaboi:
The forever point is in relation to the possibility that once he starts scoring goals for his club, people will clamoring for him. It's best we realize that Sadiq is not competent to strike for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:16am On Oct 17, 2023
komekn:

Your club and league consistent outstanding top performances are the basis for national team selection.

Look at Bassey trajectory from Academy player to Rangers to Ajax to Fulham quality doesn't hide.

Now compare the downward trajectory of Omeruo is not on the same page and level as Bassey and never had been.

He expired a long time ago should not be in the SE .
Afcon is coming then we go know who is who,dat Dey for sure
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:16am On Oct 17, 2023
Meliforme:

His revelation as a Marshall in defense.
I was surprised at the rate at which he has shown improvement.

I will change the caption replacing the preposition at with of
Okay baba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2023
The more detail you gather about the S.E, the less you want to say, but in saying, we shall say it. I will say it.

I wanted to apologise for the detail that i have gathered, and intending to share, but why should i apologise.

Anyways i will drop it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:51am On Oct 17, 2023
Meliforme:
The more detail you gather about the S.E, the less you want to say, but in saying, we shall say it. I will say it.

I wanted to apologise for the detail that i have gathered, and intending to share, but why should i apologise.

Anyways i will drop it.
Oga Meli,just go ahead we are here to discuss and to share informations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:55am On Oct 17, 2023
Meliforme:

Anyways i will drop it.
Apology kwa? Drop it sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:58am On Oct 17, 2023
Danielnino00:
Peseeio can keep faith in Uzoho all he wants...In the end, if that decision backfires, it will be his job at stake...
Who tell u say him dey fear for him job? Him know say he go commot at any time na. He no get future with the Team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Please is Chukwueze injured? Osimhen injury came at the right time. He needs that break to cool his head from all these Napoli tension. Make Kvara and Simeone step up!
Are you aware that Osimhen will be missing the World Cup qualifiers?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:20pm On Oct 17, 2023
AndSunGorilla:
Just read on Completesports now that JP said he's unhappy with the players. According to CS, JP said their concentration levels dropped in the 2nd half and there were bad passes and crosses and loads of missed chances.

Now Baba don throw players under the bus, i can see Simon Mosis, Lukmon, Sordick been singled out but how about itchy fingers, he no talk anything, how about the defenders who lost concentration for the 2nd goal to Mozambique, Baba no talk that own. Missed chances, no be im invite Sordick?
After all said and done, in my opinion, [b]we shouldn't fire JP yet, let him go to the AFCON [/b]abeg and thereafter a decision can be made.
Why would you want this? So make our AFCON hopes just waste like that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:33pm On Oct 17, 2023
zicky:
I've never been a fan of Sadiq, even at the Olympics games he played where so many were hyping him. He's not just my kind of striker, I'll rather pick onuachu to Sadiq if at all I want to go for a tall stricker without bearing.
Onuachu is far better than him now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2023
What the last 2 games has shown is that we don't have a team. We have a group of talented, selfish and mostly nonchalant players.

What I see is a group of players who aren't committed to one another, who aren't playing for one another. Where the right call would be to make a simple pass to a colleague, we see some of our folks resort to self glorification. A few instances in the last 2 games prove this.

Nonchalance sadly has eaten dip into the team. It's fast becoming a Super Eagles culture and new players are picking up that attitude. When Aribo joined the team, we thought we had found a gem. Today is a far cry from who we knew him as. Osayi wasn't so great last game, really hoping he hasn't been infected with same virus.

It takes nonchalance for a player like Simon Moses to not improve his finished product over the years. His crosses are still as atrocious as they used to be. No sign of improvement. How about chukwueze, the poster boy of nonchalance. They do this because they know they'll get away with it and get called the next game.

A lot of things have to change, I however think the culture in that team should be first. Those who perpetuate this culture should be kicked out.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
Phew!! back from a 24hrs ban for try to post my 2024 AFCON analysis and Predictions angry

I initially posted all once but I think I need to post it per group.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
MetalJigsaw:
Why would you want this? So make our AFCON hopes just waste like that?
In my opinion, we barely have 3 more months before the AFCON so I think it may be a little too late to change the coach. Don't forget he also has a contract and by the terms of that contract, if we sack him, we might probably be in breach. In my short years alive, if I recall properly, the couple of times we fired coaches going into a tournament hasn't really resulted into desired results; we fired Amodu twice after qualifying us for the WCs but we ended up not doing well at those WCs, we just fired Rohr a few months before the ANC and what did we achieve? There's no guarantee we would perform better in the short term with a new coach's appointment, the time is too short.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2023
AFCON CIV 2023/24 GROUP STAGE DRAWS ANALYSIS AND PREDICTIONS.

The much anticipated AFCON Draws have come and gone. Now we know the various countries in the different groups and in my opinion, the groups are fairly evenly poised and they are all groups of death, no game will be easy. This is my personal analysis of all the groups and group stage predictions, having closely followed the AFCON for over 35 years and being an ardent follower of African football from the 1980s to present.
Factors for analysis:
1. AFCON Pedigree
2. Performance in the last 2 years
3. Sub-regional/climatic factor

Note: Top two teams will qualify automatically and four other 3rd placed teams

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2023
GROUP A
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Equatorial Guinea
Guinea-Bissau

Ivory Coast: They have a fairly strong AFCON Pedigree and are usually expected to scale through the group stage. With a second round exit at the last AFCON and narrowly missing the World Cup, the Ivorien team will hope to bounce back with this AFCON while also preparing the team for the 2026 world cup qualifiers. With home backing they are looking one of the tournament favourites and likely to qualify as one of the top 2 teams from group A.

Nigeria: They have a strong AFCON Pedigree. Last time they crashed out of the AFCON group stage was in 1982 and since then have always reached the semis except in 2008 and 2022. Nigeria are always expected to go through the group stage. Having crashed out at the second round of the 2022 AFCON and missed out of the 2022 World cup, they will want to bounce back with this AFCON while also preparing the team for the 2026 World Cup qualifiers. The event holding in the West African sub-region in a country with similar climatic condition can serve as a plus. Nigeria are expected to qualify as one of the top 2 teams from group A.

Equatorial Guinea: In terms of Pedigree, they are not among the top teams in the AFCON but they have always had strong showings, reaching the quarter final stage in the 2022 AFCON and losing to the eventual winners, Senegal. I consider them the dark horses of the group and are capable of causing upset against any or both of the top two seeded teams, especially as their football is currently on the ascendency. They may likely not finish among the top 2 but could possible be among the best 3rd placed teams.

Guinea-Bissau: They are the team with the least Pedigree in this group and amongst the least in the entire tournament. They have never qualified out of the group. They have always presented some descent and competitive showings at all AFCONs participated in but generally do not have that extra quality upset the stronger teams. They will give a good fight but will likely not qualify from the group.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 12:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
This SE team ain't winning the upcoming AFCON with the current frailties of the team.

JP needs to give the impression that he is actually building something...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
lovewins:
What the last 2 games has shown is that we don't have a team. We have a group of talented, selfish and mostly nonchalant players.

What I see is a group of players who aren't committed to one another, who aren't playing for one another. Where the right call would be to make a simple pass to a colleague, we see some of our folks resort to self glorification. A few instances in the last 2 games prove this.

Nonchalance sadly has eaten dip into the team. It's fast becoming a Super Eagles culture and new players are picking up that attitude. When Aribo joined the team, we thought we had found a gem. Today is a far cry from who we knew him as. Osayi wasn't so great last game, really hoping he hasn't been infected with same virus.

It takes nonchalance for a player like Simon Moses to not improve his finished product over the years. His crosses are still as atrocious as they used to be. No sign of improvement. How about chukwueze, the poster boy of nonchalance. They do this because they know they'll get away with it and get called the next game.

A lot of things have to change, I however think the culture in that team should be first. Those who perpetuate this culture should be kicked out.
All this from the same game we watched? shocked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2023
As long as Awo, Boni, Moffi, Akor, Orban and Iheanacho are fit no probs!
MetalJigsaw:
Are you aware that Osimhen will be missing the World Cup qualifiers?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15149) (15150) (15151) (15152) (15153) (15154) (15155) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), Elnino9(m), lakesidepapa(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.