Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,332 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11754976 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15396) (15397) (15398) (15399) (15400) (15401) (15402) ... (16183) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 4:46pm On Jan 04
Juventus have announced the signing of Super Falcons star Jennifer Echegini on a contract until 30 June 2026.

Congratulations @echeginiii

#NaijaFootballers

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:33pm On Jan 04
Papi85:
correct guy u see am Abi?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
But una take am well o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:43pm On Jan 04
FG has approved $1.3m for the campaign. I guess news gonna motivate our boys to do well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:48pm On Jan 04
Oasis007:
FG has approved $1.3m for the campaign. I guess news gonna motivate our boys to do well.
If they like make dey nonplay their lives out. It's like they no wan attract big clubs if they no reach q/final at least.

Besides, some of these our journos are clowns. See hype wey dem dey give Uzoho. Nawa o.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 5:54pm On Jan 04
daveP:
If they like make dey nonplay their lives out. It's like they no wan attract big clubs if they no reach q/final at least.

Besides, some of these our journos are clowns. See hype wey dem dey give Uzoho. Nawa o.

The best thing now is to motivate uzoho and that’s a fact you don’t want a hot/cold keeper on your post that lacks confidence

Confidence is key here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:00pm On Jan 04
Motivate Uzoho. What does that to do the other keepers who believe they are better.
The likes of Chief Segun Odegbami, Chris Green are even calling for him to be dropped outrightly. That’s the only motivation he can get now. The joke is on Jpes
typicalgamer:

The best thing now is to motivate uzoho and that’s a fact you don’t want a hot/cold keeper on your post that lacks confidence

Confidence is key here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:35pm On Jan 04
daveP:
She's her!! I wished we taught Sarina a lesson. That match showed why we ought to have a lethal 9 upfront.
Oshoala is a blunt knife. Not dependable at all. Hasn't been reliable for the past four years

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 6:40pm On Jan 04
Papi85:
the response wasn’t for u bro, na one monicker named carot come insult me for simple argument wey we dey do then

Your coconut head deserves it sometimes. Thank God say I no know you in person...I for don pay agbero boys to visit you ,few years ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:43pm On Jan 04
AndSunGorilla:

For the last AFCON, we were begging Emmanuel Dennis to come and play and between him.and Watford, he declined our invite. Watford got relegated and unfortunately Dennis'career has been on a downward spiral. I remember one Senegalese striker that time, Sakho from Westham then. He too declined to attend AFCOn for his team and his career nose-dived. Anybody wey like make im lie, no problems at all grin. Matip wey use Cameroon Shakara just dey get injury like menstrual cycle cheesy
No matter how you play football, I swear the international games will be the highlight of your career. Where will Zidane, Carlos, Ronaldo be without those exhilarating games they played for their countries?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:44pm On Jan 04
Joebie:
While Olise has his strengths, I think Saka is one of the biggest if not the biggest miss by Nigeria in recent times.

We did not miss Saka. He wasn't our to miss.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 6:47pm On Jan 04
daveP:

grin

If Uzoho gonna be the first choice, then we shouldn't bother to dream beyond Group Stage.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:47pm On Jan 04
Papi85:
em still Dey waka around the slums of Lagos dey form Olubosun boy

Na when dem no win this afcon dem go knw how far 🤣🤣🤣
He say na Olubuson 😂😂😂. Guy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:54pm On Jan 04
If Peseiro insists on using 4-4-2, maybe he sbould consider playing Iwobi on the flanks, with Any two of Onyeka, Onyedika and Aribo in midfield. Iwobi likes to drop into the midfield even when he is played on the flanks.... Whenever partners Osimhen in attack can then slot in to the flank to make it 4-3-3 ..
Basically, we will be using 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 at once..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:00pm On Jan 04
You understand the context.
Mujtahida:

We did not miss Saka. He wasn't our to miss.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:20pm On Jan 04
humility33:

You see why I always say you don't know football?

The coach replaced a DM with a DM and here you're mentioning Fisayo who plays upfront in the midfield and you're evening berating Alhassan not to be on his level

Top footballers are versatile and not restricted to just only playing one position.⚽

Douglas Luiz is classed as a defensive midfielder but his attacking contributions probably exceed most of the midfield in Villa.

Quality is not restricted by the limitations of designation.

I would rather have an attack minded DM who is versatile like Ngole Kante, Casemiro, Rice, than robotic one dimensional one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 7:47pm On Jan 04
komekn:

Top footballers are versatile and not restricted to just only playing one position.⚽

Douglas Luiz is classed as a defensive midfielder but his attacking contributions probably exceed most of the midfield in Villa.

I would rather have an attack minded DM who is versatile like Ngole Kante, Casemiro, Rice, than robotic one dimensional one.

So help us with stats to show us when last fisayo play as a DM and what was his overall contribution that day.

Mind you the super eagles needed a DM to help shield the back 4 and leaving room for any of Onyeka, Aribo, Iwobi to push forward but any way help us with Fisayo stats as a DM

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:26pm On Jan 04
typicalgamer:

Confidence is key here
Did you just say Motivate??

Is he not a professional?

Does he not train?

Is he no getting paid?

Is there anything he's lacking for him to do well that other goalkeepers have?

Go and sit down.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 8:44pm On Jan 04
IDENNAA:

Your coconut head deserves it sometimes. Thank God say I no know you in person...I for don pay agbero boys to visit you ,few years ago.

Chairman abeg this thing na new year we dey, let by gone be by gone

Small play here wey we dey play and fight here I no knw say some folks don dey plan hire assassins Mk dem dey find me 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Abeg oooo biko kwa na beg I dey beg 🤣🤣🤣

Chriskel come help me beg ur chairman mk em no off me abeg 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 8:47pm On Jan 04
For the dstv gang. Gotv people i no come know now una go take watch this afcon ooo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 8:48pm On Jan 04
Amedino99:
For the dstv gang. Gotv people i no come know now una go take watch this afcon ooo
wow, tnk God ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 8:50pm On Jan 04
Mujtahida:

He say na Olubuson 😂😂😂. Guy
🤣🤣🤣 my brother I no sabi the name of that place ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 9:31pm On Jan 04
Mujtahida:

No matter how you play football, I swear the international games will be the highlight of your career. Where will Zidane, Carlos, Ronaldo be without those exhilarating games they played for their countries?

Big fact. The world will never forget Kylian Mbappe's performance last World Cup for France. Even at the last finals against Argentina. Mhen that was a breathtaking performance. But then this is more like what he does regularly in PSG at Ligue 1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:32pm On Jan 04
komekn:

is fisayo an attacking minded dm who is versatile like Kante and co or do we have one that should have been called up instead of alhassan?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:14pm On Jan 04
The number 19 jersey was a very insignificant number in the history of Nigeria Super Eagles until a certain unknown young man came out of nowhere and in a very short time, wrote his name in the history books forever..

His name, SUNDAY MBA

Before the 2013 AFCON, only a few knew the name Sunday Mba, and even those who did never cared much about him as he was a local league player picked to compete against an array of European stars in the Super Eagles of Nigeria team

Unlike the case today, late Stephen Keshi was bold enough to pick 6 home-based players as part of his 23-man squad for AFCON2013. Many believed the local league players would end up as bench warmers, but at the end of the tournament, the name the whole world was singing was Sunday Mba; the Warri Wolves player.

As many expected, Mba and other home-based players were benched in the first 2 group games. Only Oboabona got to play in defense. However, on the last group game which was a must-win game against Ethiopia, Stephen Keshi did the unthinkable; he dropped Nosa Igiebor of Real Betis and started Sunday Mba.

Mba didn't get to score against Ethiopia, but he did enough to convince the coach that he deserved to start in the Quarter final against almighty Ivory Coast.

With the likes of Didier Drogba, Yaya Toure, Gervinho, Kalou, Zokora, Eboue and even Kolo Toure in the Ivorian side, nobody gave the Super Eagles a chance. There were even rumours that Nigerian officials had already booked return flight tickets for the players before the game.

In the 43rd minute, Emenike pulled a shocker and with a smashing bullet freekick, he put Nigeria ahead. 7 minutes later, Tiote equalized with a header. The whole world expected the next goal to come from the Ivorians, and Drogba precisely. But destiny had something else planned out.

That was when the Sunday Mba clock ticked....

He picked the ball from the center of the field, pushed it forward, beat one, dribbled two, and from the edge of the box, unleashed a rocket that flew into the back of the net. That goal announced the local player to the international media. Mba would go ahead to score the lone goal in the final which would hand Nigeria her 3rd AFCON title.

📌FROM GRASS TO GRASS:
The AFCON heroics made Mba one of the most sort after player by many European teams. Unbelievably, Mba ended up signing for a third tier club in France; CA Bastia. HOW?

Due to greed and politics, everyone wanted to have a share of Mba's cake. His club, Warri Wolves and his former team Enugu Rangers got into a war of ownership of the player and this lasted for over 7 months.

All the European teams that wanted Mba got tired of waiting for the issue to be resolved and pulled out of the race. The only team left was the third tier club.

With the 2014 FIFA World Cup approaching, Mba needed to start playing regularly so as to be picked for the world cup. He was forced to sign for CA Bastia and that was the beginning of his end...

Mba's stats for Nigeria are...
📌Debut: 2012
📌Appearances: 22
📌Goals: 7
📌Assists: 0
📌Trophies: 1 (AFCON 2013)
📌Duration with Super: 2 years (2012/2013)

Sadly, today, Mba is just 33 years old, but has been without a club since 2017. He literally retired from active football at the age of 27.

You can watch the best of Sunday MBA in my next post..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:32pm On Jan 04
MetalJigsaw:
The number 19 jersey was a very insignificant number in the history of Nigeria Super Eagles until a certain unknown young man came out of nowhere and in a very short time, wrote his name in the history books forever..

His name, SUNDAY MBA

Before the 2013 AFCON, only a few knew the name Sunday Mba, and even those who did never cared much about him as he was a local league player picked to compete against an array of European stars in the Super Eagles of Nigeria team

Unlike the case today, late Stephen Keshi was bold enough to pick 6 home-based players as part of his 23-man squad for AFCON2013. Many believed the local league players would end up as bench warmers, but at the end of the tournament, the name the whole world was singing was Sunday Mba; the Warri Wolves player.

As many expected, Mba and other home-based players were benched in the first 2 group games. Only Oboabona got to play in defense. However, on the last group game which was a must-win game against Ethiopia, Stephen Keshi did the unthinkable; he dropped Nosa Igiebor of Real Betis and started Sunday Mba.

Mba didn't get to score against Ethiopia, but he did enough to convince the coach that he deserved to start in the Quarter final against almighty Ivory Coast.

With the likes of Didier Drogba, Yaya Toure, Gervinho, Kalou, Zokora, Eboue and even Kolo Toure in the Ivorian side, nobody gave the Super Eagles a chance. There were even rumours that Nigerian officials had already booked return flight tickets for the players before the game.

In the 43rd minute, Emenike pulled a shocker and with a smashing bullet freekick, he put Nigeria ahead. 7 minutes later, Tiote equalized with a header. The whole world expected the next goal to come from the Ivorians, and Drogba precisely. But destiny had something else planned out.

He picked the ball from the center of the field, pushed it forward, beat one, dribbled two, and from the edge of the box, unleashed a rocket that flew into the back of the net. That goal announced the local player to the international media. Mba would go ahead to score the lone goal in the final which would hand Nigeria her 3rd AFCON title.

📌FROM GRASS TO GRASS:
The AFCON heroics made Mba one of the most sort after player by many European teams. Unbelievably, Mba ended up signing for a third tier club in France; CA Bastia. HOW?

Due to greed and politics, everyone wanted to have a share of Mba's cake. His club, Warri Wolves and his former team Enugu Rangers got into a war of ownership of the player and this lasted for over 7 months.

All the European teams that wanted Mba got tired of waiting for the issue to be resolved and pulled out of the race. The only team left was the third tier club.

With the 2014 FIFA World Cup approaching, Mba needed to start playing regularly so as to be picked for the world cup. He was forced to sign for CA Bastia and that was the beginning of his end...

Sadly, today, Mba is just 33 years old, but has been without a club since 2017. He literally retired from active football at the age of 27.

mba scored seven goals for Nigeria? I never knew to be honest. I didn't even know he played more for us out of afcon.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:45pm On Jan 04
MetalJigsaw:

His name, SUNDAY MBA

📌FROM GRASS TO GRASS:

Warri Wolves and Enugu Rangers killed Mba career due to greed.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:45pm On Jan 04
MetalJigsaw:

Does he not train?

Is he no getting paid?

Go and sit down.

You’re missing my point
The team has always been selected base on cartel and friendships

Uzoho has already been selected not by you or me so the best thing to do now is motivate or else we all will be proven right that’s he’s belove average and we might have a poor campaign if care is not taken
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:46pm On Jan 04
typicalgamer:

Confidence is key here
Journos are not the one that will make that possible though. No mata how long they act like influencers. If he's going to be cold then no business between the sticks. Just simply applying the metric used for Maduka to him. Simple!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:47pm On Jan 04
Mujtahida:

Oshoala is a blunt knife. Not dependable at all. Hasn't been reliable for the past four years
The truth we won’t tell ourselves

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:48pm On Jan 04
Mujtahida:

You're right. A natural go really help our quest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:50pm On Jan 04
Oasis007:

grin

If Uzoho gonna be the first choice, then we shouldn't bother to dream beyond Group Stage.

Prize na 7m. Dey don budget 1.3 for this tournament. SportyBet tinz. Make they at least get 1.3m back(qfinals)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:51pm On Jan 04
MetalJigsaw:

Does he not train?

Is he no getting paid?

Go and sit down.

I should go and sit down ?

Please if you can remove uzoho from there and do a better job than him I’ll gladly stand behind you 😊

(1) (2) (3) ... (15396) (15397) (15398) (15399) (15400) (15401) (15402) ... (16183) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: shawwal1(m), 123jamessmith, kayburner, Meliforme, Philosopher1979 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.