Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15698) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11659593 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15695) (15696) (15697) (15698) (15699) (15700) (15701) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:01pm On Feb 02
We Sha dey build our unbeaten run dey go
Before you know na 20 games unbeaten una go see

This defence is class!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:01pm On Feb 02
charlesemeka85:
Who else noticed that Moses Simon is no more selfish and don’t dribble aimlessly anymore?

I believe say finidi don sir am down talk to am

He was very good today and against Cameroon 🇨🇲

Dude has improved, almost scored a beautiful goal in the second half after skipping past two players. He has won two awards man of the match so far including today's match. These are the things we should be talking more about sef

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:02pm On Feb 02
Setaleonoz:
How una see this thing
Noticed the Moroccan lady that officiated us has been restricted to sub board duty as well. Seem they realized she made some silly moves. Or did she offficiate any game after ours?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:02pm On Feb 02
Goke7:

Dude has improved, almost scored a beautiful goal in the second half after skipping past two players. He has won two awards man of the match so far including today's match. These are the things we should be talking more about sef
and he added more defensively to his game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:03pm On Feb 02
Victory dedicated to Sam Okwaraji of blessed memory.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:03pm On Feb 02
lbrichman2:
We Sha dey build our unbeaten run dey go
Before you know na 20 games unbeaten una go see

This defence is class!
defense led by king of the jungle “KING KONG”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:03pm On Feb 02
COOL10:

If I remember correctly, Salah got injured in the first half of Egypt's second match. He scored a penalty in the first match against Mozambique. You cannot judge him negatively, because he didn't even have enough minutes to be as impactful as one would expect, still he tried.

Do you seriously think that if Salah was fit, he wouldn't have scored up to three goals by now? Come on!!! 🤷🏾‍♂️😄

Like I said earlier, I'm not doubting Osimhen's passion or work rate. I'm just disappointed at the extremely poor quality of his finishing.

Oh seriously? we can make excuses for Salah but not Oshimen abi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:04pm On Feb 02
You going by your narrative because we are winning. I’m rather being objective. Not carried away by the moment. I’m thinking in the long run.

Mujtahida:

Bro you are not seeing black and calling it black. Na defeat go satisfy una.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Setaleonoz(m): 10:04pm On Feb 02
Zellas:
Yusuf is very useful to this team. Apart from marking and keeping the midfield compact, He connects with the strikers easily with simple passes.
I won't mind patnering him with Onyeka while Iwobi is moved further up closer to Osimhen.

It wont happen…our coach get strong head
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:04pm On Feb 02
Icon4s:

Egbon, we know you have followed Nigerian National team for so long to understand that we don't usually do well in friendlies leading to major tournaments. The result against Guinea has not changed my expectations for this team. It is not about blind patriotism. Forget about the recent set-backs, we know what this team is capable of.

Going back to this post just after we lost that friendly to Guinea. grin
Now seems like a long time ago now cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:05pm On Feb 02
M7even:

Exactly. If we stick to this tactics in our next game, we will definitely play penalties. Individually, some players are beginning to fatigue or burn out.

And you think the coaching crew don't know that?
JPes has met the Semi final target NFF gave him
Now man can switch things up
Let's not deceive ourselves, there's no way he would have changed

We stick to our tactics, rotate some players
That's all

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:05pm On Feb 02
Joebie:
You going by your narrative because we are winning. I’m rather being objective. Not carried away by the moment. I’m thinking in the long run.

long run ko, hide as the goodjoe don hide then crawl out when the team loses to criticize them for been too defensive

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:05pm On Feb 02
charlesemeka85:

that's why it's difficult for any Eagles coach to drop Simon, his defensive abilities is a big plus, I saw him break off threats from Angola today

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:05pm On Feb 02
mrwilliams9:
Again, defense wins championships but If we are going to start dropping deep to defend, then we need fresh legs.

At the 65/70 min I’d have liked to see another midfielder introduced. Move from 3-4-2-1 to 3-5-2. Choke the midfield and hold ball.

Yusuf needed to come in earlier. I think Onyedika was needed as well.

But we also need to take our chances better than we did.

Anyway, good one from the boys. Hope they rest well for the SFs they’ll need it.
I support your point. It's positive. You praise and advise what we can do better no be to dey expect doom. If doom happen, we go all cry and that's the worst we can do.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:06pm On Feb 02
Moses Simon has always had a defensive side. Follow SE history.

charlesemeka85:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:06pm On Feb 02
charlesemeka85:
defense led by king of the jungle “KING KONG”

Ekong really stepped up!
Guy just pocketed Mabululu like handkerchief
😂😂

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:07pm On Feb 02
Daninya33:
I started watching the Afcon in 1994, I have not missed any edition since then.

The Semi- final has most times been an Herculean task for the Super Eagles.

I hope Jpes gets it right this time around.

Psychological,Our players should be able to surmount this mental block.

Honestly, I am worried for the Super Eagles.

Mahrez free kick still fresh in our memories.

I hope we scale this hurdle as we did in 2013 during late Stephen Keshi era.

I wish the SE all the best going forward.
na Algeria 🇩🇿 we go face for semi finals?😳

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:07pm On Feb 02
lbrichman2:

Ekong really stepped up!
Guy just pocketed Mabululu like handkerchief
😂😂
the Mabululu guy lost🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:07pm On Feb 02
I have praised this same team in this tourney. You want make I curse u?

charlesemeka85:
long run ko, hide as the goodjoe don hide then crawl out when the team loses to criticize them for been too defensive
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:08pm On Feb 02
Joebie:

Leave long-term
This is tournament football
You do what you need to win
Leave matter for Mathias!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:09pm On Feb 02
Joebie:
I have praised this same team in this tourney. You want make I curse u?

curse ya self 🤣🤣🤣

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:09pm On Feb 02
You sabi. Charles no dey watch matches haha
Goke7:

that's why it's difficult for any Eagles coach to drop Simon, his defensive abilities is a big plus, I saw him break off threats from Angola today

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:10pm On Feb 02
Goke7:

very true, this game should have ended 3-0, we still have issues converting. For me this team has achieved, if we can solve our attacking issues by making lookman a false 9 may be we could see more goals
Osimhen offside is his undoing. But the ones he supposed bury too, he no bury am. But am Happy for all he offers. E kon be like a giroud kind of striker, whereas he's not. But the stats would not gree. Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:10pm On Feb 02
Mujtahida:

Na one goal we knack Burkina Faso take win 2013. One goal is Bae. Like JPes talk, if I score you one goal and prevent you from scoring, I don win you

Gbamabsoltely!!! Paseiro, carry us dey gooo...carry us dey go win ooo. grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:10pm On Feb 02
charlesemeka85:
in my opinion super eagles is the best team tactics wise in this afcon

I believe Jpes made out time to research more on the ability of our players and found out the best tactics to bring out their best

If u follow Lookman in Atalanta u will notice that in a two man striking tactics he is very potent. The way jpes hv set up his team especially in attack is deceptive. From the beginning you will think lookman is operation as a winger but in the actual sense him and osimhen are deployed as a two man attacking force while Simon is more of crossing and delivering of passes in the final 3rd to the attacking duo

Iwobi plays as a deep lying player maker who is expected to keep the flow of the game as well as to play it simple while Onyeka is the destroyer who runs around to harass the opponent’s midfield as well as serve as a pressing machine

Zaidu’s major responsibility in this team isn’t moving forward but to defend his position. Him going forward is a plus and much isn’t expected from him via crosses while Aina is the one with more freedom to attack because he is more assured and confident on the ball than zaidu

[/b]I hv to say that Jpes isn’t as bad as we thought tactically[b]

Or na the players they use their common sense tactically 🌚
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 10:11pm On Feb 02
Goke7:

Oh seriously? we can make excuses for Salah but not Oshimen abi

Lol, those are not excuses. Excuses would be me blaming badluck for Osimhen's inefficacy in front of goal.

Besides, Osimhen and Salah don't share similar fates. Osimhen didn't get injured in just his second match.

If he did and we ended up failing to move past the round of 16 just like Egypt, we would have all blamed Osimhen's injury for the quick exit, just like the Egyptians are currently blaming Salah's injury for theirs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:12pm On Feb 02
Joebie:

You have forgotten that the long run of yesterday was when we were losing games and drawing against small teams. As for the future, Whenever we lose, we lose. E dey happen. Today we don win and for that I am happy. I no go use fear of future wey I never see begin cry and fail to enjoy the victory of today. Even that future, we will still win some and lose some even if na you be our coach with all your tactical nous. It's the nature of the game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:12pm On Feb 02
Anyway he came to win AFCON. Let’s hope we achieve that. After that we need to qualify for WC and represent Very well. The bar is
now set at semi finals for Africa.

lbrichman2:

Leave long-term
This is tournament football
You do what you need to win
Leave matter for Mathias!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:13pm On Feb 02
So as it stands now who re we likely to face in the semis?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThunderFireAgba: 10:13pm On Feb 02
Barryseal:
Had Uzoho started this competition instead of Nwabali, we would have joined others like Algeria, Egypt Ghana to exit this competition quite early and Peseiro would have been labelled the worst Nigerian coach since Libregets.
Makes me wonder what could have been had Rohr/Eguavoen done their due deligence in search of a real goalkeeper.

Did you see when he was telling Iwobi to use his head after he lost the ball to the Angolan player that hit the post?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:13pm On Feb 02
M7even:

Exactly. If we stick to this tactics in our next game, we will definitely play penalties. Individually, some players are beginning to fatigue or burn out.

I believe this coach has a plan B He has also said if he's looking for goals then we will see the likes of Iheancho come in. I have always asked that if Oshimen is not scoring what's our plan b and the coach has answered with games against Cameroon and Angola. The goal against Angola today was a slight change in tactic cos that was a different type of goal we have seen from the Eagles so far. If you observe again we are becoming a bit deadly with set pieces, that's a massive improvement.

The coach just like to score first and lock up shop and throw away the key. Am sure if he concedes first he will respond differently. I observe he's trying to stick with a winning team rather than chopping up changes here and there.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:14pm On Feb 02
My own na to analyze. Not tubu tubu. That’s the nature. of analysis 😂
Mujtahida:

You have forgotten that the long run of yesterday was when we were losing games and drawing against small teams. As for the future, Whenever we lose, we lose. E dey happen. Today we don win and for that I am happy. I no go use fear of future wey I never see begin cry and fail to enjoy the victory of today. Even that future, we will still win some and lose some even if na you be our coach with all your tactical nous. It's the nature of the game.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15695) (15696) (15697) (15698) (15699) (15700) (15701) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: MegaStarr(m), TheSuperNerd(m), lbrichman2, Kog45(m), Softbreastt, Christology(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.