Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,341 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15902) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11701665 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15899) (15900) (15901) (15902) (15903) (15904) (15905) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24
TheGoodJoe:

All these one you are talking is long story. My point is simple the art of dribbling today is not dead.

Welcome to the PASTORE SHOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0HGRjj3Ow

Okaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Now I'm curious about who said it died. Make i brock Lesnar the person.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:57pm On Feb 24
Marjoribanks:

Like who? You just keep attacking JP for no just cause.

Ekong said Paserio gave them identity! I would rather align with the players than hearsay! Iwobi was not outstanding today.
He scored a beauty, yes but he lost a lot of balls in vital area and missed some glorious chances.
Iwobi left Everton cos he wants to play in midfield. Fulham used him there for few games but decided to push him to the wings.
No serious coach would play Iwobi on the wings for Nigeria.
JP created a formation that would allow our best players thrive and they did get to the final. A team people like you did not give a chance.

Give JP his derseve dues!

The 1994 team was outplayed by the Ivorians in the semis and Zambia in the finals yet that same team is called the best Nigerian National team ever.

I will accept anything but to say the Ivoriens outplayed Nigeria in the 94 SF is trying to re-write history. Nigeria was the dominant side and we missed several scoring opportunities in regular time. The main culprit of missed chances being the one you hate to love.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 8:59pm On Feb 24
TheGoodJoe:

Why do you think Guardiola kicked him first out of Barcelona? Those disco stuff won't excel.

Guardiola sold ronaldinho because he had lost his form and he lacked discipline not because of his style of play. He was a bad influence on messi.
As per ronaldinho he had end product. He scored numerous goals and made countless assists for barcelona.
As per end product I'm not an expert but even in the olden days the old players had end product. Pele scored over 1000 goals. Garincha had a lot of assists. Brazil never lost a match when garincha and Pele played together. Zidane Platini haf a lot of assists preassists creative passes and crucial goals. End product was even part of olden days football. Aba even jarzinho scored in every match of the 1970 World Cup.
Zico, secretes etc had end product. Even Maradona at Mexico 86 and napoli had a lot of goals and assists. In fact ronaldinho had 313 goals and 187 assists. If stats were taken for chances created and pre assists I'm sure it will be amazing

Neymar has 434 goals and 248 assists.
So in my humble opinion end product had always been a part of football from the beginning till now

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 9:06pm On Feb 24
Marjoribanks:

Like who? You just keep attacking JP for no just cause.

Ekong said Paserio gave them identity! I would rather align with the players than hearsay! Iwobi was not outstanding today.
He scored a beauty, yes but he lost a lot of balls in vital area and missed some glorious chances.
Iwobi left Everton cos he wants to play in midfield. Fulham used him there for few games but decided to push him to the wings.
No serious coach would play Iwobi on the wings for Nigeria.
JP created a formation that would allow our best players thrive and they did get to the final. A team people like you did not give a chance.

Give JP his derseve dues!

The 1994 team was outplayed by the Ivorians in the semis and Zambia in the finals yet that same team is called the best Nigerian National team ever.

Apart from the goal and the rubbish shot , iwobi was decent today, created few chances sef

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:08pm On Feb 24
TheGoodJoe:

Why do you think Guardiola kicked him first out of Barcelona? Those disco stuff won't excel.
The Disco stuff brought him so much fame and laurels.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:33pm On Feb 24
daveP:

😂😂😂😂😂
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06pm On Feb 24
mostob:
The Disco stuff brought him so much fame and laurels.

In those days, not today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:06pm On Feb 24
My boys 🔥🔥

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:08pm On Feb 24
Philosopher1979:

Guardiola sold ronaldinho because he had lost his form and he lacked discipline not because of his style of play. He was a bad influence on messi.
As per ronaldinho he had end product. He scored numerous goals and made countless assists for barcelona.
As per end product I'm not an expert but even in the olden days the old players had end product. Pele scored over 1000 goals. Garincha had a lot of assists. Brazil never lost a match when garincha and Pele played together. Zidane Platini haf a lot of assists preassists creative passes and crucial goals. End product was even part of olden days football. Aba even jarzinho scored in every match of the 1970 World Cup.
Zico, secretes etc had end product. Even Maradona at Mexico 86 and napoli had a lot of goals and assists. In fact ronaldinho had 313 goals and 187 assists. If stats were taken for chances created and pre assists I'm sure it will be amazing

So in my humble opinion end product had always been a part of football from the beginning till now

Also tempo. Also, Ronaldinho was never going to fit into Guardiola's passing pattern.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:16pm On Feb 24
TheGoodJoe:

Because he was already old and partied alot. Even your Messi dey dance disco but he still left him. Why?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:18pm On Feb 24
Philosopher1979:

Abeg, no follow dat one dey yan. Who didn't know Ronaldinho lost form due to party? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 10:31pm On Feb 24
cool

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 11:08pm On Feb 24
I heard Iwobi had a woeful outing tonight but managed to knock a ball in.....what a pity!

People recounted how he couldn't kick a danm ball and missed begging chances.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14pm On Feb 24
forgiveness:

Because he was already old and partied alot. Even your Messi dey dance disco but he still left him. Why?

Messi is actually a highly tactically disciplined player. He interpretes tactical changes flawlessly. He cut a lot of his dancing when Guardiola took over.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bannedlargedx2: 11:54pm On Feb 24
Awoniyi assist

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:22am On Feb 25
Odunayaw:
In my opinion Europe isn't blessed with the flair of South America.

It is also evident in music.
Latinos are passionate, red hot people.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:35am On Feb 25
Player of the match --> Iwobinho 😎 😄

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:42am On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

I am saying these guys have those skills but football today do not play to the gallery. Football today is really driven by effectiveness. So these guys don't gallivant with the ball, does not mean the art is dead.

Welcome to the Grealish show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4X0TFsMkQ
I don't understand this talk about playing to the gallery. Did the great dribblers of the past play to the gallery? Mention five great dribblers who played to the gallery make I see as if Maradona, Pele, Savicevic, Stojkovic, Le Tissier etc were not purposeful in their dribbling? What was the end result of Maradona's second goal against England in Mexico 86? Did he not dribble to the goal and scored? Did you see this greats dribble senselessly? Was that how Ronaldinho dribbled?

Cos this idea of football being purposeful as exclusive to modern football is just an idea in your head. Football has always been purposeful - to win, to score goals. The essence of dribbling is geared towards achieving that purpose by breaking down defences to score a goal.

The only difference between modern football and old football is how they've gone about achieving that purpose - one choose to do so with flair and style, the other choose blandness. It's just like old architecture and modern architecture. The purpose is to house man but old architecture emphasizes beauty of form. Modern architecture doesn't give a hoot about all that. So you have your cold box modern shaped buildings. (old western and European styled public architecture as against modern buildings oo before we start arguing)

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:49am On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

That is brilliant dribbling.
I no see end product of those dribbling oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:56am On Feb 25
Odunayaw:
It is not for nothing Alcantara said this:

Liverpool star Thiago Alcantara slams football and lists the four problems with it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-thiago-alcantara-hates-football-24355616
Chris Waddle, a reputed English international wrote an article for the Daily mail decrying the dying art of dribbling. TheGoodJoe wey never kick ball for amateur league said Waddle is just complaining. I laughed. Didn't argue with him on that because common sense teaches me to give credence to the opinion of the man who has done something and earned a name in it than an arm chair theorist who supports his theories with YouTube videos.

Be like to compare general with person wey don watch plenty war film.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:59am On Feb 25
Cyriel Dessers's brace yesterday have now taken his goal tally to 16 goals and 7 assists in all competitions for Rangers, this season. Excellent season, he's having.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:00am On Feb 25
Katcall:
if i slap you. Neymar that showboat all the time
Take your childish stupidity out of here. Grown man seeking for attention through clownery. Have some shame.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:06am On Feb 25
Odunayaw:

I am not surprised by your cherry picking. It's your forte.

That "opportunity to turn" that you latched on is a quote of his own words to buttress his thoughts that continues in that article

You can't turn English and grammar on its head just to suit your bias.

The point is that moments of individualism that players used to get out of trouble has been replaced with pass-abouts and not the nonsense you're trying to suggest.

Prove that the dribbling of this "old football" was headless.

Na you still run go pick videos of players that embody the old art grin
You really fit him cos you deftly knock off his contorted slippery points.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:09am On Feb 25
Odunayaw:
Exactly what I told him the last time we had this discourse
Even the players themselves both old and new acknowledge this point but our resident nairaland theorist says otherwise.

What modern football has over old football is certainly not talent but tactical astuteness, improved physical conditioning of players, a more scientific and professional approach to games.

Person wey say KDB is better than Zidane.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:15am On Feb 25
Philosopher1979:

Ohhh my goodness. I didn't know you have comprehensively punctured that his vainly triumphant but baseless talk about modern more purpose driven.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:21am On Feb 25
forgiveness:

Do you mean Ronaldinho will not have the room to disco dance you in this modern era?

Today players are less talented except Messi and Ronaldo.
I would not even include Messi,Ronaldo and Neymar jnr. in group of morden era players that Thegoodjoe have been singing about.
They were supposed to have retired.

It's an insult to the game of football by Mr Goodjoe to say that the great players like Ronaldo de lima,Zidan,Maradona,Baggio,
Ronaldinho,etc. played against inferior defenders such as Maldini,Canavaro,Carlos compared to modern defenders.
That's why they were able to dance disco and dribble pass them.
He even said there were headless dribble like the one Maradona dribble the English team for '86 world cup.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 5:30am On Feb 25
charlesemeka85:
My boys 🔥🔥
Theatre of Dreams grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by villagereporter(m): 6:24am On Feb 25
Kog45:
Eagles need a very tactical coach….Aina was injured but JP still used him and very evident that Osimhen was overused.Abi no be the same Iwobi again.

Jpajero. is a complete olodo. At AFCON our line up anytime we are playing is always about 5 defenders 2 midfielders and 3attackers.

In d final I was expecting the coach to throw everything at CIV since he has nothing to loose (at least he had surpassed d target) but unfortunately he was adamant and stillneck as usual and as a result Eagles played one of d their worst match in recent years.

Sincerely jpajero cannot take us to d promise land just like BULABU, the PLAGUE IN ASO ROCK-in auntie Safari's voice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:51am On Feb 25
Napoleon55:

I would not even include Messi,Ronaldo and Neymar jnr. in group of morden era players that Thegoodjoe have been singing about.

Is an insult to the game of football by Mr Goodjoe to say that the great players like Ronaldo de lima,Zidan,Maradona,Baggio,
Ronaldinho,etc. played against inferior defenders such as Maldini,Canavaro,Carlos compared to modern defenders.
He even said there were headless dribble like the one Maradona dribble the English team for '86 world cup.

It is a fact. Even the greats will tell you that defending today is a different ball game fo defending in the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:52am On Feb 25
Mujtahida:

Chris Waddle, a reputed English international wrote an article for the Daily mail decrying the dying art of dribbling. TheGoodJoe wey never kick ball for amateur league said Waddle is just complaining. I laughed. Didn't argue with him on that because common sense teaches me to give credence to the opinion of the man who has done something and earned a name in it than an arm chair theorist who supports his theories with YouTube videos.

Be like to compare general with person wey don watch plenty war film.

Read the article. Chris Waddle literally said allowing players lose the ball. That is criminal today in the modern game. Giving away possession is something coaches try to limit today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:54am On Feb 25
Mujtahida:

I don't understand this talk about playing to the gallery. Did the great dribblers of the past play to the gallery? Mention five great dribblers who played to the gallery make I see as if Maradona, Pele, Savicevic, Stojkovic, Le Tissier etc were not purposeful in their dribbling? What was the end result of Maradona's second goal against England in Mexico 86? Did he not dribble to the goal and scored? Did you see this greats dribble senselessly? Was that how Ronaldinho dribbled?

Cos this idea of football being purposeful as exclusive to modern football is just an idea in your head. Football has always been purposeful - to win, to score goals. The essence of dribbling is geared towards achieving that purpose by breaking down defences to score a goal.

The only difference between modern football and old football is how they've gone about achieving that purpose - one choose to do so with flair and style, the other choose blandness. It's just like old architecture and modern architecture. The purpose is to house man but old architecture emphasizes beauty of form. Modern architecture doesn't give a hoot about all that. So you have your cold box modern shaped buildings. (old western and European styled public architecture as against modern buildings oo before we start arguing)

When players are a good positions to receive the ball and a player decides to go past players on his own, he is playing to the gallery and not with purpose.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:00am On Feb 25
Napoleon55:

Is an insult to the game of football by Mr Goodjoe to say that the great players like Ronaldo de lima, Zidane, Maradona, Baggio,

Injuries certainly played their part in his difficulties at AC Milan, but it was largely due to his relationship with the managers. Fabio Capello and Óscar Tabárez, who was brought in the following season, often benched Baggio because of his perceived lack of fitness, which, predictably, did not go down well with the ambitious player. The style of play chosen by both managers also favoured more athletic players; hardly conducive to Baggio’s philosophies. Tabárez famously said, after Baggio had complained about a lack of playing time, that there was “no room for poets in modern football”.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/07/27/in-celebration-of-roberto-baggio/

This is not about sentiments, as the game advanced, disco lights switched off.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15899) (15900) (15901) (15902) (15903) (15904) (15905) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, kennysville(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.