Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,903 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15903) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11635768 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15900) (15901) (15902) (15903) (15904) (15905) (15906) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:04am On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

When players are a good positions to receive the ball and a player decides to go past players on his own, he is playing to the gallery and not with purpose.

Finito.
you have just made my point that dribbling is dying because the emphasis now is passing and positioning.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:07am On Feb 25
Napoleon55:

I would not even include Messi,Ronaldo and Neymar jnr. in group of morden era players that Thegoodjoe have been singing about.
They were supposed to have retired.

Is an insult to the game of football by Mr Goodjoe to say that the great players like Ronaldo de lima,Zidan,Maradona,Baggio,
Ronaldinho,etc. played against inferior defenders such as Maldini,Canavaro,Carlos compared to modern defenders.
That's why they were able to dance disco and dribble pass them.
He even said there were headless dribble like the one Maradona dribble the English team for '86 world cup.
That's why he likes that tasteless unimaginative brand of football called tiki taka.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:10am On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

Injuries certainly played their part in his difficulties at AC Milan, but it was largely due to his relationship with the managers. Fabio Capello and Óscar Tabárez, who was brought in the following season, often benched Baggio because of his perceived lack of fitness, which, predictably, did not go down well with the ambitious player. The style of play chosen by both managers also favoured more athletic players; hardly conducive to Baggio’s philosophies. Tabárez famously said, after Baggio had complained about a lack of playing time, that there was “no room for poets in modern football”.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/07/27/in-celebration-of-roberto-baggio/

This is not about sentiments, as the game advanced, disco lights switched off.
"no room for poets in modern football”.

And we you are still arguing when this is precisely what I just said in plain words.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:53am On Feb 25
Mujtahida:

"no room for poets in modern football”.

And we you are still arguing when this is precisely what I just said in plain words.

I said the art of dribbling is not dead. It is now done with more purpose.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:05am On Feb 25
This debate for and against dribbling is one of the most intellectual conversations I have seen on nairaland in recent times. Kudos to all the debaters, Una finish work.

All points well articulated. Well done guys

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:24am On Feb 25
daveP:

Okaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Now I'm curious about who said it died. Make i brock Lesnar the person.

The art of dribbling has become more intelligent and much more end 🔚 product centred as well as strategic.

When I look at Manchester City it's like looking at a team with several highly skilled number 10's ,there is continuous interchange of positions and formations.

Albeit with greater emphasis on number 9 depending on the circumstances, they change with the game and opponents.

So we even noticed the traditional number 9 quintessential striker is no longer central to some teams and or the numbers 9️⃣ adapts to changes and strategy making him very fluid. I see this in Arsenal and Liverpool.

The art of dribbling has not died it just got BETTER.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:04am On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

I said the art of dribbling is not dead. It is now done with more purpose.
That's why we have tiki taka
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:12am On Feb 25
komekn:

The art of dribbling has become more intelligent and much more end 🔚 product centred as well as strategic.

When I look at Manchester City it's like looking at a team with several highly skilled number 10's ,there is continuous interchange of positions and formations.

Albeit with greater emphasis on number 9 depending on the circumstances, they change with the game and opponents.

So we even noticed the traditional number 9 quintessential striker is no longer central to some teams and or the numbers 9️⃣ adapts to changes and strategy making him very fluid. I see this in Arsenal and Liverpool.

"Go, dribble and go because it is difficult to find a player today with the ability to play in small spaces..."

This is from the piece you posted. It is not dying yet it is difficult to find a player TODAY with the ability to play in small spaces. Why the emphasis on TODAY if a comparison is not being made with the past. Why the difficulty to find dribblers if it is not a dying skill?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Thazard(m): 11:30am On Feb 25
Odunayaw:
Keyword: Blessed.

For South America it used to be like a thing of disgrace if an offensive player didn't have flair. Na like "who born dis wan"

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:43am On Feb 25
Mujtahida:

"Go, dribble and go because it is difficult to find a player today with the ability to play in small spaces..."

This is from the piece you posted. It is not dying yet it is difficult to find a player TODAY with the ability to play in small spaces. Why the emphasis on TODAY if a comparison is not being made with the past. Why the difficulty to find dribblers if it is not a dying skill?

Because players yesterday had big spaces to shine. Today, it is not the same.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49am On Feb 25
I will like to give a shout-out to Dominic Solanke for his brilliant display yesterday against Manchester City. It was incredible fun watching him, especially with the way he dropped deep and moved wide to receive the ball.

I think he also influenced Haaland in a positive way yesterday, because in that second half, I saw a big improvement in Haaland's positioning during our build up.

I hope Haaland continues in that pattern and pray Solanke keeps shining.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:38pm On Feb 25
I come to Nairaland and see unnecessary bluefont arguments by an immature poster

I log out immediately or skip very fast

Nothing new to see

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:04pm On Feb 25
Odunayaw:
Exactly what I told him the last time we had this discourse

He is just talking in favor of his team pattern of play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:07pm On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

Messi is actually a highly tactically disciplined player. He interpretes tactical changes flawlessly. He cut a lot of his dancing when Guardiola took over.

Do you think I didn't know what transpired in the training at Barcelona under Guardiola?

He literally told other players to pass the ball and not dribble but with the exception of Messi. Only mEssi was allowed to dribble under Guardiola?

Why? cheesy you wan lie? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:11pm On Feb 25
Napoleon55:

I would not even include Messi,Ronaldo and Neymar jnr. in group of morden era players that Thegoodjoe have been singing about.
They were supposed to have retired.

Is an insult to the game of football by Mr Goodjoe to say that the great players like Ronaldo de lima,Zidan,Maradona,Baggio,
Ronaldinho,etc. played against inferior defenders such as Maldini,Canavaro,Carlos compared to modern defenders.
That's why they were able to dance disco and dribble pass them.
He even said there were headless dribble like the one Maradona dribble the English team for '86 world cup.

Just like Joe with em Guardiola style of play. The style wey never rule Europe for almost 2 decades.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:36pm On Feb 25
Blueelf:
I come to Nairaland and see unnecessary bluefont arguments by an immature poster

I log out immediately or skip very fast

Nothing new to see
baseless argument that is not even related to our players and national teams 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 2:21pm On Feb 25
Victor Osimhen starts for Napoli against Cagliari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:27pm On Feb 25
Goodjoe you're overlooking the point that I when you can drill your team to get into good positions your opponents would also come up with tactics to nullify such player placements leading to stalemates or games based on attrition football.

Now this is where a player with X factor comes in. Someone who comes in with outrageous ability which completely befuddles whatever structured play your opponents have put in place. I've seen such as players many times win so many games for their teams.

I agree that tactical play has leveled the playing field but when you have a player who through a moment of genius or dribbling skill can win you a game is unfair to call it playing to gallery.

TheGoodJoe:

When players are a good positions to receive the ball and a player decides to go past players on his own, he is playing to the gallery and not with purpose.

Finito.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 2:40pm On Feb 25
chrisooblog:
Goodjoe you're overlooking the point that I when you can drill your team to get into good positions your opponents would also come up with tactics to nullify such player placements leading to stalemates or games based on attrition football.

Now this is where a player with X factor comes in. Someone who comes in with outrageous ability which completely befuddles whatever structured play your opponents have put in place. I've seen such as players many times win so many games for their teams.

I agree that tactical play has leveled the playing field but when you have a player who through a moment of genius or dribbling skill can win you a game is unfair to call it playing to gallery.

Ironically, the more tactical and defensive football gets, the more drivers and creative players are needed.
Intelligent Dribbling and creativity is badly needed in modern football more than even the past. But the flair needs to be Intelligent with end product. When a team defends with 10 men behind the ball a creative player is needed to do the impossible. With all that tactics forwards get too rigid and predictable and u predictable creative players are needed. Creativity can never leave football. Players get tired, formations break down, creativity us needed.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:42pm On Feb 25
charlesemeka85:
baseless argument that is not even related to our players and national teams 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It is the people engaging him I blame sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 3:10pm On Feb 25

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:15pm On Feb 25
komekn:

Got Better?

Im afraid this is just Recency Bias at play.

Besides, you can't see Doku and put end product in same sentence in all sincerity. Doku is getting more attention than necessary because dribbling overall has nosedived.if dribbling is like the last 2 decades, Doku na Pry 3 e go dey, analogy-wise.

Another observation that i keep finding funny is these are all from Man City. Why??

In a bid to hype the dribbling we currently see, we're trying hard to downplay that the last generation was the peak of both successful and unsuccessful dribblings. So the tendency to quickly paint it as no end product pops up. Lol.

Doku can't even lace Ribery and Robben's end product. Besides, that too is shrouded in defenders being superb. 1v1 situations and defenders came out okay. Now, we see 2 to 3 defenders because of dribblings, even when the dribblers aren't that good.

So, I'll rather see this like a venn diagram than distinct. What i don't like is painting the dribbers of last generation one kind way to make the dribbling we currently see as intelligent. Naaaah.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:51pm On Feb 25
TheGoodJoe:

Because players yesterday had big spaces to shine. Today, it is not the same.
Excuses. Lame excuses. With the potato pitches and wicked tackles they had to play on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:57pm On Feb 25
Ibrahim Said with a goal and an assist

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 4:29pm On Feb 25
Osimhen scores

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:39pm On Feb 25
6th straight season of double figures

Samueltemi337:
Osimhen scores

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 4:44pm On Feb 25
Chidera Ejuke and Alhassan Yusuf currently in action for Royal Antwerp

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 4:44pm On Feb 25
chrisooblog:
6th straight season of double figures

World class!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 4:57pm On Feb 25
Chai Napoli!!!
What happened to this team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 5:06pm On Feb 25
lbrichman2:
Chai Napoli!!!
What happened to this team?
Osimhen should just keep scoring and hopefully joins a bigger team this summer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 5:11pm On Feb 25
Samueltemi337:
Osimhen should just keep scoring and hopefully joins a bigger team this summer

Abi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 5:17pm On Feb 25
Osibaba... World class striker. Argue with your keypad😜

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (15900) (15901) (15902) (15903) (15904) (15905) (15906) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.