Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16054) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652994 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16051) (16052) (16053) (16054) (16055) (16056) (16057) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:43am On Apr 05
typicalgamer:

Prove me wrong
Fact is you don't watch the NPFL else you would know Rangers and Remo Stars play good football.

And swallow the next cynic question which would be "yet they have not won anything in CAF"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:50am On Apr 05
Amedino99:
the only person I can think of with this profile is kadiri ikhana but it's been long I heard of him.

What about Okey Emordi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:02am On Apr 05
Odunayaw:
Fact is you don't watch the NPFL else you would know Rangers and Remo Stars play good football.

And swallow the next cynic question which would be "yet they have not won anything in CAF"

You’re telling me if you employ Enugu rangers coach mor remo stars coaching crew

We’ll be playing free flowing football in 2 years ok 👌

Almost 2 decade ago when we last played free flowing football o just remember that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:03am On Apr 05
Amedino99:
the only person I can think of with this profile is kadiri ikhana but it's been long I heard of him.

I don’t know him but since he doesn’t worship people in power he’ll never get a shot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:04am On Apr 05
Tessyy1701:

We get coach, just that NFF are found of employing wrong hand.

Fidelix Ilechukwu are better coach than all our underaged coach but he's not one of NFF resident coaches.

Exactly let’s be diverse not just amunike and finidi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:31am On Apr 05
typicalgamer:

You’re telling me if you employ Enugu rangers coach mor remo stars coaching crew

We’ll be playing free flowing football in 2 years ok 👌

Almost 2 decade ago when we last played free flowing football o just remember that
That 2 decades ago is the last we played "free flowing football" is proof it's not just coaches or players, it is coaches AND players.

There is no luxury of transfer market for NT coaches to shop for players that suit their philosophy neither is their time, so they make the best use of what they have.

On a game by game basis it is impossible to play "free flowing football" for 90mins and it will be a terrible to lie to say SE doesn't play attacking football (I change the nomenclature here) at certain phases of their matches.

Lastly, on the coaches of the aforementioned clubs. I only brought up their names to challenge your claim that ALL NPFL clubs play scrap football. Personally I would love to see Fidelis [Ranger's coach] handle the U20s.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:36am On Apr 05
typicalgamer:

I don’t know him but since he doesn’t worship people in power he’ll never get a shot
You don't know Ikhana? The CAF champions League winner?

Yet you want to shit on local coaches as you please

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 11:21am On Apr 05
Odunayaw:
You don't know Ikhana? The CAF champions League winner?

Yet you want to shit on local coaches as you please

On a professional level no I don’t know him at all

Bro I’ve been watching Npfl not constantly but A lot alit for almost a decade plus only the rigging of matches and violence has gone down

The gameplay and the players tend to be worse by the year
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:35am On Apr 05
typicalgamer:

Exactly let’s be diverse not just amunike and finidi

this have always been my point, if we want to go local we need to employ the best Nigerian coach not just employ someone because he used to play for the super eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:38am On Apr 05
elyte89:

All d low grade white coaches wey una Dey praise to high heaven,what exactly is deir achievement with our super eagles…none of dem have achieved something tangible aside westerhoff (94) set,so y d fuss
all the local coaches we’ve employed none of them have achieved something tangible except Keshi so why the fuss 😏
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:46am On Apr 05
jihday:
all the local coaches we’ve employed none of them have achieved something tangible except Keshi so why the fuss 😏

So it’s better we kuku stick to our local coaches den…it pays economically since we won’t be spending much fx and we would still b getting the same result

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:17pm On Apr 05
I first noticed Fidelis when he was coach of MFM. He's really talented and passionate but the NFF would rather choose the likes of Ladan Bosso who have been tried, tested and shown to be not up to the task.

Odunayaw:
That 2 decades ago is the last we played "free flowing football" is proof it's not just coaches or players, it is coaches AND players.

There is no luxury of transfer market for NT coaches to shop for players that suit their philosophy neither is their time, so they make the best use of what they have.

On a game by game basis it is impossible to play "free flowing football" for 90mins and it will be a terrible to lie to say SE doesn't play attacking football (I change the nomenclature here) at certain phases of their matches.

Lastly, on the coaches of the aforementioned clubs. I only brought up their names to challenge your claim that ALL NPFL clubs play scrap football. Personally I would love to see Fidelis [Ranger's coach] handle the U20s.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:07pm On Apr 05
Really think our coaches are missing a trick on how to utilize Onyedika. Dude has great skill set (that word again grin) if deployed properly.

https:///SSE_NGA/status/1776199164537328067

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:11pm On Apr 05
I have always said it here and was the first to properly breakdown his exact midfield profile. Dude is not your ordinary CDM. He is a proper ball playing holding midfield pearl. Ability to distribute and recycle plays effortlessly and also perform his defensive duties excellently. He is almost similar to a Volante DM but holding MF truly is his forte. Doesn't have to go box to box but he can when tactically necessary.

His passing range is gold. Long, short, medium... all lethal in progressing and switching plays.

If I knew all these stuffs about Onyedika just by profiling him over 3yrs ago and also predicting his growth curve ability-wise if he stayed focused (as he has done so far), then I wonder why a coach like Peseiro experienced in handling players couldn't fathom that out. Profiling is not for everyone.

chrisooblog:
Really think our coaches are missing a trick on how to utilize Onyedika. Dude has great skill set (that word again grin) if deployed properly.

https:///SSE_NGA/status/1776199164537328067

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 1:24pm On Apr 05
jihday:
this have always been my point, if we want to go local we need to employ the best Nigerian coach not just employ someone because he used to play for the super eagles

Because I’m a very decorated during my playing days doesn’t mean I’m the best for the job,

Let them do debate and individual interviews that’ll take just days to a week, just like how they sign college coaches in usa schools

What do you bring to the table ?
How much are you respected to pull in a good player we don’t already owned ?
What’s your time frame
What’s your philosophy?
If that doesn’t work what’s the back up ?
What’s your ideal team ?
Are you respected enough to pull in any potential future player to the cause ?

Stuffs like this not that i can play tiki taka all of that is outdated just play utility football and rest

Most of the new players we have are influenced by their friends who are in the super eagles not the coaches

I’m still saying this i don’t rate this coaches

Because during our last 2 afcon when eguavon speak about tactics I burst into tears 😭

An Everton gaffer is more inept than him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 1:28pm On Apr 05
TheSuperNerd:
I have always said it here and was the first to properly breakdown his exact midfield profile. Dude is not your ordinary CDM. He is a proper ball playing holding midfield pearl. Ability to distribute and recycle plays effortlessly and also perform his defensive duties excellently. He is almost similar to a Volante DM but holding MF truly is his forte. Doesn't have to go box to box but he can when tactically necessary.

His passing range is gold. Long, short, medium... all lethal in progressing and switching plays.

If I knew all these stuffs about Onyedika just by profiling him over 3yrs ago and also predicting his growth curve ability-wise if he stayed focused (as he has done so far), then I wonder why a coach like Peseiro experienced in handling players couldn't fathom that out. Profiling is not for everyone.

None of that would be exploited if amunike is appointed he’ll play a double CDM OF ndidi and Onyenka so forget about onyedika prowess and ability because amunike will never exploit it,
Amunike is not one to experiment, he knows the starting boys and he’ll leave it at that but tweak the information that’s all

And that’s why i don’t want him

I want someone who’ll look a player like iwobi or ndidi and say you’re not starting today this is what I’m trying to achieve you either adapt and play like this or I’ll bring in personnel who can

Because by the end of the day coaches get sacked not players

Players are tools so used them as tools
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 1:31pm On Apr 05
elyte89:

So it’s better we kuku stick to our local coaches den…it pays economically since we won’t be spending much fx and we would still b getting the same result

I’ve said this before if we go with amunike we’ll be in the same spot we’re right now in the next four years

Then our golden generation will get older and weaker

I don’t agree with bring a local coach after all we’re not going anywhere this is too poor

Pay whoever has the intellect and CV whatever they want and let them work put them on a tight leash

Pay the media to put pressure on them and see if results no come out

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 1:32pm On Apr 05
I took love spain national team and the Spanish league

Just a bad run of games and MARCA don carry news say the dressing room has lost faith in the coach

You go see how coach go buckle up sharp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:44pm On Apr 05
Amunike utilised a Deep lying playmaker model at U17 level. A bold and risky move that paid off. He played a lad with the skillset of a #10 as a deep-lying maestro. That is the man you say don't know how to experiment??

Onyedika's CDM profile is similar in certain attributes to that of a DLP but the difference is that a DLP is far more eagle-eyed, far more creative, dictate plays better and less concerned with defensive duties compared to the Holding MF CDM Onyedika-type.

So there is no way Amunike won't see the need to utilise Onyedika's skills set either as a single pivot or in a double pivot or even a false double pivot as he exhibited in the U17s and U20s.

typicalgamer:

None of that would be exploited if amunike is appointed he’ll play a double CDM OF ndidi and Onyenka so forget about onyedika prowess and ability because amunike will never exploit it,
Amunike is not one to experiment, he knows the starting boys and he’ll leave it at that but tweak the information that’s all

And that’s why i don’t want him

I want someone who’ll look a player like iwobi or ndidi and say you’re not starting today this is what I’m trying to achieve you either adapt and play like this or I’ll bring in personnel who can

Because by the end of the day coaches get sacked not players

Players are tools so used them as tools

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 2:54pm On Apr 05
TheSuperNerd:
Amunike utilised a Deep lying playmaker model at U17 level. A bold and risky move that paid off. He played a lad with the skillset of a #10 as a deep-lying maestro. That is the man you say don't know how to experiment??

Onyedika's CDM profile is similar in certain attributes to that of a DLP but the difference that a DLP is far more eagle-eyed, far more creative, dictate plays better and less concerned with defensive duties compared to the Holding MF CDM Onyedika-type.

So there is no way Amunike won't see the need to utilise Onyedika's skills set either as a single pivot or in a double pivot or even a false double pivot as he exhibited in the U17s and U20s.

The way you analyse football amazes me, have u given a thought about going into coaching or probably tactical analysis aspect of the game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eddie7: 3:19pm On Apr 05
NFF COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT

NFF commiserates with Odegbami over loss of son

The Nigeria Football Federation has commiserated with former Nigeria captain, Dr. Olusegun Odegbami over the death on Friday last week of his son, Oluwagbeminiyi Omo Odegbami.

The legend himself made the sad news public on Wednesday morning when he announced the demise of the young man who breathed his last on Good Friday, 30th March 2024.

The General Secretary of Nigeria Football Federation, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, MON empathized with the 1980 AFCON winner: “The death of a son is perhaps the worst thing that can happen to any living parent. It is with a deep sense of sorrow that we commiserate with Dr. Olusegun Odegbami. This must be a very tough period for him.

“I remember the passion with which our former captain traversed the whole of Cote d’Ivoire covering the Africa Cup of Nations earlier in the year, and his palpable passion and fervour any time he had the opportunity to speak with the Super Eagles’ players. He believed strongly in the team and wanted it to win the trophy. I know how disappointed he was that we lost in the Final match.”

Dr. Sanusi disclosed that the NFF and the entire Nigeria Football fraternity have been praying for the repose of the soul of Oluwagbeminiyi Omo Odegbami since the unfortunate news broke on Wednesday.

“We are in grief. Dr. Odegbami is a great friend apart from being a legend of the Nigeria game and a former captain of Nigeria. Most of us marvel at his unflagging love and zest for the Nigeria game. We pray that God gives him the fortitude to pull through these difficult moments and also grant the departed young man eternal rest.”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:10pm On Apr 05
TheGoodJoe:

Arsenal park the bus and made the game boring. We played an open game, Arsenal didn't.
Na lie. Tiki taka is boring 😂😂
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 4:22pm On Apr 05
TheSuperNerd:

Onyedika's CDM profile is similar in certain attributes to that of a DLP but the difference that a DLP is far more eagle-eyed, far more creative, dictate plays better and less concerned with defensive duties compared to the Holding MF CDM Onyedika-type.

One this isn’t the under17 and 20 😂
This is grown men football and trust me except he comes up with his own ground built formation and tactics certainly the white man can counter anything you mentioned here easily

Don’t kid yourself those attributes you mentioned Onyedika won’t make use of it against a similar strength African country your know why because we’ll be doing ball chasing same way we’ve been doing for 2 decades

Nigeria style of play doesn’t give rise to creative cdm and cam in recent years

Because you’ll do more marking than playing, and wen in possession fast break counter that leads to goal or miss

Even without tactics we’re not the brightest of the bunch

please don’t compare u17 to mens football

So many gods of youth football didn’t make it in senior men football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:27pm On Apr 05
Kog45:
Emma Okala was born in Onitsha but surprisingly Kogi people of Idah saying Emma Okala is from Idah….but historically possible based on migration between Idah and Omanbala peoples of Anambra,reason why i need Sir Idennaa or Omanbala to shed more light on this….

CC:Idennaa
Yeah my people bear Okala but I doubt if he's Igala
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:28pm On Apr 05
ChrisKels:

Okala is a common surname in Ohafia, Abia State. Most Okalas I know are from Ohafia, and a few from Owerri. I still remember one brilliant law student then who graduated with first class honours from my school she was a native of Akanu Ohafia - Miracle Okala. Though, Emmanuel Oguejiofor Okala was born in Anambra, I don't think he is from Anambra State neither is he Igalan. Do Igalans or Anamberians bear Okala?

Nb: My first post was deleted by spam bot, but I just discovered that they have restore it after I made this post. You can find my first post directly under your original post where you asked about the state of origin of Okala
Yes Igala people bear Okala or Ogala
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:31pm On Apr 05
Mujtahida:

Na lie. Tiki taka is boring 😂😂

Go and watch Rodri's pass to Foden for Foden's second goal and come here and say Tiki Taka is boring.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:39pm On Apr 05
Pep Guardiola literally translated the tactics he used in La Masia and Barca B to the Main Barca team and used it to conquer the entire Europe.

Ofcos I am aware this is grown men football. Am I blind?? Repeating this "this is not U17/U20 football but men's football" line is stale abeg. Focus on the real tactical discourse and stop shutting down valid tactical arguments with stale irrelevant statements.

Tactics are not immune to levels. It cuts across all levels from Cadet to Senior. It is rather the level of interpretation that differs.

typicalgamer:

One this isn’t the under17 and 20 😂
This is grown men football and trust me except he comes up with his own ground built formation and tactics certainly the white man can counter anything you mentioned here easily

Don’t kid yourself those attributes you mentioned Onyedika won’t make use of it against a similar strength African country your know why because we’ll be doing ball chasing same way we’ve been doing for 2 decades

Nigeria style of play doesn’t give rise to creative cdm and cam in recent years

Because you’ll do more marking than playing, and wen in possession fast break counter that leads to goal or miss

Even without tactics we’re not the brightest of the bunch

please don’t compare u17 to mens football

So many gods of youth football didn’t make it in senior men football

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:41pm On Apr 05
Philosopher1979:

If not for injuries Amuneke would have been the best winger Nigeria ever produced. I mean barcelona snapped him up from Portugal. He was something else
Barcelona really had no pedigree like that oo. Na the Messi years and Guardiola give them stance. Before Messi era, I think they had won the champion's league once. Can't even put them side by side with Madrid.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 4:45pm On Apr 05
TheSuperNerd:
Pep Guardiola literally translated the tactics he used in La Masia and Barca B to the Main Barca team and used it to conquer the entire Europe.

Ofcos I am aware this is grown men football. Am I blind?? Repeating this "this is not U17/U20 football but men's football" line is stale abeg. Focus on the real tactical discourse and stop shutting down valid tactical arguments with stale irrelevant statements.

Tactics are not immune to levels. It cuts across all levels from Cadet to Senior. It is the rather the level of interpretation that differs.

I understand your point which are very valid but I’m just saying employing will be a tad bit difficult because we’re not a possession based team unless a against lesser opponents

And pep case is far different from this they had talents that had time, and they can buy more talents to Maximize the potential of his tactics and they train 3 times a day minus film sessions so don’t use pep as a yardstick

We don’t have world beaters or games changer we have only a world class player

And role players with spark and potential

We train less that 10 times a year and our training and film session is below sub par

Like i said if amunike were to be appointed we’ll be in this same situation 4 years later just watch

All these tactics and player with outwardly ability will go out the window
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:45pm On Apr 05
Why the silence on this thread on the Super Falcons match against SA?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 4:46pm On Apr 05
TheSuperNerd:

baba leave medicine for us just enter coaching. You are good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:48pm On Apr 05
Super Falcons vs South Africa, anybody has a streaming link for this game? Thanks in advance!

O pari

(1) (2) (3) ... (16051) (16052) (16053) (16054) (16055) (16056) (16057) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Nomyth, Sugarboyy(m), TheSuperNerd(m), waffiboi and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.