Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11690023 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16112) (16113) (16114) (16115) (16116) (16117) (16118) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:15pm On Apr 24
DOptical:

I hope the boy is brought into the super eagles before other countries steal am, like Saka, Alaba etc.

Nigeria team lacks a holding midfielder and the boy is rated as one of the top midfield youngsters with the top ball recoveries. He's also quite technical.
una don start 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 5:15pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
I rate Tijani but please he is currently below lads like Raphael Onyedika and Alhassan Yusuf technically and otherwise in the holding midfield profile role.

So you are dead wrong to say the Nigerian team doesn't have a holding midfielder.

Didn't they all play against the Mali midfield which disgraced Nigeria midfield? Isn't Alhasan more of a defensive 8?

All I know is the Nigeria team needs a holding midfielder. It was noticed at the Afcon and against Mali. Even Ghana almost defeated the team despite being one man down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:15pm On Apr 24
komekn:

He is 21 and playing in the Austrian Bundesliga and has been for 4 seasons.

If he is so well rated according to you what is he doing playing in the Australia league rated 13 in Europe.

Will my question ❓ be considered HATE.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:16pm On Apr 24
DOptical:

Didn't they play against the Mali midfield that disgraced Nigeria midfield?

Isn't Alhasan more of a defensive 8?

All I know is the Nigeria team needs a holding midfielder. It was noticed at the Afcon.
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

From Nwakali to this one 🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joxxy01(m): 5:16pm On Apr 24
Had it been it's just foreign coaches applications that are on the table, a decision would have long be reached . But since it now involve local coaches, factions upon factions will be created in support of one local coach or another there by dragging the whole process..that is our way in naija. Even to select nff president in the next election will still be dragged as usual.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:17pm On Apr 24
He started their last 2 games. And has 22 starts in 29 league games.

Don't quote me yapping rubbish misinformation.

Samueltemi337:
Someone that's not even a starter in his club undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 5:18pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
He started their last 2 games. And has 22 starts in 29 league games.

Don't quote me yapping rubbish misinformation.

And how has he excelled?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:22pm On Apr 24
Did you watch Alhassan at the Afcon at all?? Vs Equatorial Guinea and against SA?

Alhassan is a forward thinking midfielder adept in the CM and CDM roles. Performs his defensive duties but also loves to deliver vertical linesbreaking passes.

And Raphael Onyedika is the best holding midfielder profile we have in Europe today.

Samson Tijani doesn't come close.... just yet.

DOptical:

Isn't Alhasan more of a defensive 8?

Didn't they all play against the Mali midfield which disgraced Nigeria midfield?

All I know is the Nigeria team needs a holding midfielder. It was noticed at the Afcon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 5:26pm On Apr 24
Nwakali and excelled shouldn't be in the same sentence

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:26pm On Apr 24
First you said he doesn't start. Now it has changed to excel. When I show how he has excelled there, you will ask another silly question.

No need engaging an ignoramus. You don't know anything about the player you wanna engage me on. So my advice... back down.

Samueltemi337:
And how has he excelled?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 5:36pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
Did you watch Alhassan at the Afcon at all?? Vs Equatorial Guinea and against SA?

Alhassan is a forward thinking midfielder adept in the CM and CDM roles. Performs his defensive duties but also loves to deliver vertical linesbreaking passes.

And Raphael Onyedika is the best holding midfielder profile we have in Europe today.

Samson Tijani doesn't come close.... just yet.

I watched the Afcon and even some of the matches before the Afcon. Thus the reason why I noted that Alhasan looked more like a defensive 8. He and Onyedika played in the 2-0 loss against Guinea before the Afcon match and the midfield weren't as good. Onyedika was dropped alongside several players before the starting match against Equitorial Guinea.. Alhasan was his usual Hustle and bustle style like a typical 8 in that match (not the holding midfielder) like he wasn't the holding midfielder against Guinea before the afcon hence I saw him as a 8 however, In the subsequent matches, he wasn't as good even as a 8.

Anyways, the midfield problem continued in the Afcon, after the Afcon against Ghana and was even worsened against Mali.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:38pm On Apr 24
Kelechi Nwakali has created 47 chances across 22 starts for Chaves. More chances created than Joao Moutinho of Sporting Braga, Pepe (not the CB) of Porto, Orkun Kokcu of Benfica, Trincao of Sporting Lisbon and David Neres of Benfica.

Enough said.

Cc TheGoodJoe, those two names might interest you.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 5:46pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
It is Rabiu Ali. Olodo. Not Rabiu Ibrahim.

Man is just trying to save face. I thought you should know that.

You quoted a post mentioning Rabiu Ali and 43 years old only to turn around and say na Rabiu Ibrahim (33 years old) you mean.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 5:47pm On Apr 24
DOptical:

Didn't they all play against the Mali midfield which disgraced Nigeria midfield? Isn't Alhasan more of a defensive 8?

All I know is the Nigeria team needs a holding midfielder. It was noticed at the Afcon and against Mali. Even Ghana almost defeated the team despite being one man down.
What is the difference between a defensive 8 and a holding midfielder? Can you give an example please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:47pm On Apr 24
You are making a funny case for Tijani.

Did you watch Onyedika in midfield alongside Onyeka vs Mozambique?

Did you take note of Alhassan's Positioning vs Equatorial Guinea? He wasn't outrightly playing 8. He double pivoted with Onyeka and just happened to get forward more often than onyeka did in that game.

Now, Tijani can't bench Yusuf in that role and can't bench Onyedika. I have not even mentioned the two big guns of the midfield Onyeka and Ndidi.

My brother, no chance for Tijani now except he massively steps up. The holding midfield role is not empty. We have Onyedika and Yusuf there as naturals.

DOptical:

I watched the Afcon and even some of the matches before the Afcon. Thus the reason why I noted that Alhasan looked more like a defensive 8. He and Onyedika played in the 2-0 loss against Guinea before the Afcon match and the midfield weren't as good. Onyedika was dropped alongside several players before the starting match against Equitorial Guinea.. Alhasan was his usual Hustle and bustle style like a typical 8 in that match (not the holding midfielder) like he wasn't the holding midfielder against Guinea before the afcon hence I saw him as a 8 however, In the subsequent matches, he wasn't as good even as a 8.

Anyways, the midfield problem continued against Ghana and was even worsened against Mali.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:48pm On Apr 24
Komekn the comic relief. In 2024, he remains such a comedic rambler. Lol

mostob:
Man is just trying to save face. I thought you should know that.

You quoted a post mentioning Rabiu Ali and 43 years old only to turn around and say na Rabiu Ibrahim (33 years old) you mean.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:01pm On Apr 24
mostob:
What is the difference between a defensive 8 and a holding midfielder? Can you give an example please

Defensive 8 are more like box to box but are rather defensive, not offensive.

Holding midfielder have got more awareness than defensive 8 who just strut around tackling. Example of holding midfielders are Bissouma, mancity's Rodri, Declan Rice etc, although Rice can also play the defensive 8.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:08pm On Apr 24
By your example/expatiation, Onyeka is your defensive 8.
Yusuf's got a wider range of traits not limited to that role but which extends to the Holding midfield role. His early days at Antwerp gives a super clear picture. Yusuf ran things from that holding midfield position.

DOptical:

Defensive 8 are more like box to box but are rather defensive, not offensive.

Holding midfielder have got more awareness than defensive 8 who just strut around tackling. Example of holding midfielders are Bissouma, mancity's Rodri, Declan Rice etc, although Rice can also play the defensive 8.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:14pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:

You are making a funny case for Tijani.

Did you watch Onyedika in midfield alongside Onyeka vs Mozambique?

Did you take note of Alhassan's Positioning vs Equatorial Guinea? He wasn't outrightly playing 8. He double pivoted with Onyeka and just happened to get forward more often than onyeka did in that game.

Now, Tijani can't bench Yusuf in that role and can't bench Onyedika. I have not even mentioned the two big guns of the midfield Onyeka and Ndidi.

My brother, no chance for Tijani now except he massively steps up. The holding midfield role is not empty. We have Onyedika and Yusuf there as naturals.

I spoke on what I saw.

If super eagles team wanna improve, the team need to improve the midfield. It's that simple. As a matter of fact, if the coach hadn't improved the team with several players in the first afcon match, the team would have been disgraced like the 2-0 loss against guinea. We all know the midfield need an improvement as seen before the afcon in the 2-0 loss against guinea, at the afcon and after the afcon against Mali etc. The midfield need an improvement if the team wanna do well at the world cup which is even more serious than the afcon.

On Tijani, I'm only speaking on his ability. He's one of the midfield youngsters rated with top ball recoveries and he did look good against inter who are a decent team at least, considering inter just won the serie a.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:16pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
By your example/expatiation, Onyeka is your defensive 8.
Yusuf's got a wider range of traits not limited to that role but which extends to the Holding midfield role. His early days at Antwerp gives a super clear picture. Yusuf ran things from that holding midfield position.

The fact that Onyeka is a defensive 8 should make Alhasan play as a holding midfielder yet it was Onyeka playing as a holding midfielder and he wasn't good at such role because he's not a holding midfielder.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:25pm On Apr 24
Onyeka hardly sat at the base. He was found there in certain phases of the game with Alhassan on the pitch also reverting between deeper and advanced positions (their heat maps show such) but he is no natural 6 and doesn't have the tactical positional discipline to play that role.

Even when Jpes went 3-4-3, it was Onyeka venturing forward even more than Iwobi. Iwobi stayed deeper as some sort of Deep lying playmaker (not a natural in the role so Iwobi somewhat was outshone in midfield by onyeka at the afcon).

So Onyeka is your perfect description of the defensive 8.

DOptical:

The fact that Onyeka is a defensive 8 should make Alhasan play as a holding midfielder yet it was Onyeka playing as a holding midfielder and he wasn't good at such role because he's not a holding midfielder.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:30pm On Apr 24
Yes, we need to improve the midfield. This entire thread will testify that I have harped so much on that more than anyone here and way more than you are doing right now.

And in truth, Samson Tijani is not that guy just yet. What he brings isn't on par with what Yusuf and Onyedika brings right now.

Unlike Nwakali, Tijani's skillset is already in the Super Eagles and those with it are of a higher grade for the mean time.

DOptical:

I spoke on what I saw.

If super eagles team wanna improve, the team need to improve the midfield. It's that simple. As a matter of fact, if the coach hadn't improved the team with several players in the first afcon match, the team would have been disgraced like the 2-0 loss against guinea. We all know the midfield need an improvement as seen before the afcon in the 2-0 loss against guinea, at the afcon and after the afcon against Mali etc. The midfield need an improvement if the team wanna do well at the world cup which is even more serious than the afcon.

On Tijani, I'm only speaking on his ability. He's one of the midfield youngsters rated with top ball recoveries and he did look good against inter who are a decent team at least, considering inter just won the serie a.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:40pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
Onyeka hardly sat at the base. He was found there in certain phases of the game with Alhassan on the pitch also reverting between deeper and advanced positions (their heat maps show such) but he is no natural 6 and doesn't have the tactical positional discipline to play that role.

Even when Jpes went 3-4-3, it was Onyeka venturing forward even more than Iwobi. Iwobi stayed deeper as some sort of Deep lying playmaker (not a natural in the role so Iwobi somewhat was outshone in midfield by onyeka at the afcon).

So Onyeka is your perfect description of the defensive 8.

I have already stated that Onyeka is no holding midfielder but a defensive 8 however he was the one playing the holding midfield role while Alhasan constantly combed forward like box to box. Both Alhasan and Onyeka are defensive 8 thus comb around. Iwobi is no central midfielder but a 10 or a forward but since he tries to get on the ball, he moves deep at times even though he doesn't screen the midfield like a typical holding midfielder. I recall Aribo who's also a 8, (an offensive one, although defensively solid too) moving deeper to screen the midfield in front of the defence against Guinea Bissau since he recognizes that Onyeka combs like a 8.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:42pm On Apr 24
When did Tijani play Inter? Pre season friendly 2023?? What sort of reference is this?

DOptical:

I spoke on what I saw.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:43pm On Apr 24
You are only repeating yourself and what I have explained.

The whole point is Onyeka is not one to sit as a 6. And Tijani is not the guy to be mentioned at the moment when talking about improving our midfield plays.

DOptical:

I have already stated that Onyeka is no holding midfielder but a defensive 8 however he was the one playing the holding midfield role while Alhasan constantly combed forward like box to box. Both Alhasan and Onyeka are defensive 8 thus comb around. Iwobi is no central midfielder but a 10 or a forward but since he tries to get on the ball, he moves deep at times even though he doesn't screen the midfield like a typical holding midfielder. I recall Aribo who's also a 8, (an offensive one, although defensively solid too) moving deeper to screen the midfield in front of the defence against Guinea Bissau since he recognizes that Onyeka combs like a 8.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:45pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
Yes, we need to improve the midfield. This entire thread will testify that I have harped so much on that more than anyone here and way more than you are doing right now.

And in truth, Samson Tijani is not that guy just yet. What he brings isn't on par with what Yusuf and Onyedika brings right now.

Unlike Nwakali, Tijani's skillset is already in the Super Eagles and those with it are of a higher grade for the mean time.

I have already seen what the midfield offered against Guinea, in the afcon and after the afcon against Mali. Even against 10 men Ghana! Abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:52pm On Apr 24
There was no Onyedika at the Afcon in our games. Jpes benched him mercilessly. Yusuf also hardly featured. What you saw at the Afcon was not a true reflection of what our midfield should be.

Go watch the Mozambique game and see Onyedika in combo with a roaming Onyeka. You keep dodging references to that game.

Against Mali, we didn't also field our most tactically balanced midfield. Same with the Ghana game.

Listen, I don't know if it is personal agenda or whatever but be honest, Tijani does not bring better than what we have and what we truly need in the middle. I have watched Tijani probably more than you have and even reported his game briefly here yesterday. But I am not blind. I know the limitations and abilities of all our midfielders. Tijani is not there yet.

DOptical:

I have already seen what the midfield offered against Guinea, in the afcon and after the afcon against Mali. Even against 10 men Ghana! Abeg.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DOptical: 6:53pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
You are only repeating yourself and what I have explained.

The whole point is Onyeka is not one to sit as a 6. And Tijani is not the guy to be mentioned at the moment when talking about improving our midfield plays.

Tijani is a midfield talent who's doing quite well and should be looked at. Point is the team lack a holding midfielder. I hope he's not snapped up by other national team like Alaba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:55pm On Apr 24
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:56pm On Apr 24
TheSuperNerd:
Kelechi Nwakali has created 47 chances across 22 starts for Chaves. More chances created than Joao Moutinho of Sporting Braga, Pepe (not the CB) of Porto, Orkun Kokcu of Benfica, Trincao of Sporting Lisbon and David Neres of Benfica.

Enough said.

Cc TheGoodJoe, those two names might interest you.

Been a fan of Joao Moutinho since his young days at Lisbon and Porto. Even a member of the dominating Monaco team that had Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Falcao, Benjamin Mendy, Lemar and Bakayoko.

Don't know much about Orkun Kokcu. Enlighten me on what I am missing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:56pm On Apr 24
He can be snapped up. We won't miss him to be honest. He is how old? 21 to be 22 by may.

Onyedika is 23 already this year and a much better midfield talent.

We don't lack a proper holding midfielder. What this team truly lacks is a manager who can put our midfield tools to proper use and ofcos a genuine midfield controller.

I rate Tijani but you are overhyping the kid.

DOptical:

Tijani is a midfield talent who's doing quite well and should be looked at. Point is the team lack a holding midfielder. I hope he's not snapped up by other national team like Alaba.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:03pm On Apr 24
Both these men are Kings of chances creation and generation. You already know so much about Moutinho.

Kokcu is a young Turkish midfield General (currently 23) who made his name first in the Eredivisie with Feyenoord before bagging his first big move to Benfica. Lad can ball in the middle. Here are a few clips from his feyenoord days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrI9RLvGhNk?si=OXTSNd3fKQOkmtGP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGF9VHOUMM?si=VISnj4lxzOuG61M0

Then... 1 or 2 from his benfica time currently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxIay3e0HU?si=JnYTQ_YbmK19U7xV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X7J_tWOnjU?si=g1Sn2vDURurRXF-s

TheGoodJoe:

Been a fan of Joao Moutinho since his young days at Lisbon and Porto. Even a member of the dominating Monaco team that had Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Falcao, Benjamin Mendy, Lemar and Bakayoko.

Don't know much about Orkun Kokcu. Enlighten me on what I am missing.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16112) (16113) (16114) (16115) (16116) (16117) (16118) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Dcypher and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.