Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,789 members, 7,862,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11941478 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16210) (16211) (16212) (16213) (16214) (16215) (16216) ... (16353) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:54pm On May 24
lbrichman2:
Interesting list..
Atleast it seems he's making some effort to do something with the midfield
So many questions about the defence
I thought Onyeka and Chuks are injured or are they back from injury?

Well, he got a 1 year contract
Let's hope he does enough to get an extension
Because me, I no feel this list at all, especially the defence..
I was expecting to see the Rizespor midfielder on the list

Heard he is doing very well in turkey πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡·
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Darell2002(f): 8:56pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:
answer the question u asked
He hasn't
So samueltemi can be right

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalakulu: 8:58pm On May 24
lbrichman2:
Interesting list..
Atleast it seems he's making some effort to do something with the midfield
So many questions about the defence
I thought Onyeka and Chuks are injured or are they back from injury?

Well, he got a 1 year contract
Let's hope he does enough to get an extension
Because me, I no feel this list at all, especially the defence..

I think he did well with the midfield and attack (perhaps with the exception of inviting Onuachu who just never seems to fit in well in the SE, and maybe Iheanacho). Midfield is as good as it gets, would have made a case for Ibrahim Olawoyin getting invited but Finidi went for the more established/experienced players so his time will come. Also the midfield looks more balanced with a perfect blend of a DMF, CM, and AMF (asides from Iwobi, Tella can also play as an attacking midfielder).

Goal keeping looks good, Uzoho dropped for good and Maduka deservedly called up.

Seems the general consensus of raised eyebrows is on the defence...the apparent lack of a natural LB for one, and the pointless invitation of Awaziem over better players like Torunarigha, Ogbu etc is quite disconcerting.

Overall all things considered, I'll rate the overall squad 7.5/10 which is decent enough.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 9:00pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:
I was expecting to see the Rizespor midfielder on the list

Heard he is doing very well in turkey πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡·

Yeah I heard about him too.. Ibrahim Olawoyin
But I don't think he can displace anyone on the list. I'm not too convinced about him either
We need ball playing midfielders
This is where extensive scouting comes into play
I hope Finidi is willing to do that

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 9:02pm On May 24
Kalakulu:

I think he did well with the midfield and attack (perhaps with the exception of inviting Onuachu who just never seems to fit in well in the SE, and maybe Iheanacho). Midfield is as good as it gets, would have made a case for Ibrahim Olawoyin getting invited but Finidi went for the more established/experienced players so his time will come.

Goal keeping looks good, Uzoho dropped for good and Maduka deservedly called up.

Seems the general consensus of raised eyebrows is on the defence...the apparent lack of a natural LB for one, and the pointless invitation of Awaziem over better players like Torunarigha, Ogbu etc is quite disconcerting.

Overall all things considered, I'll rate the overall squad 7.5/10 which is decent enough.

Good point you made..
All things considered, I think your rating of the list is fair..
I really look forward to how the gaffer performs in real match situations, not friendlies now
Let's see for ourselves what he really has to offer
He talked a good game, now let's see if he can back it up with above average performances
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:07pm On May 24
Oasis007:
grin

20yrs old right fullback, Sodiq Ismaila is a gem.
He should at least cut his biabia. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:19pm On May 24
lbrichman2:

Yeah I heard about him too.. Ibrahim Olawoyin
But I don't think he can displace anyone on the list. I'm not too convinced about him either
We need ball playing midfielders
This is where extensive scouting comes into play
I hope Finidi is willing to do that
hv seen some of his clips and he is good enough to atleast mk the bench or serve as a cover for any of iwobi or Onyeka

He is a CM/AM

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 9:21pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:
hv seen some of his clips and he is good enough to atleast mk the bench or serve as a cover for any of iwobi or Onyeka

He is a CM/AM
Yeah, you're right, atleast with the bolded
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:21pm On May 24
Kalakulu:

I think he did well with the midfield and attack (perhaps with the exception of inviting Onuachu who just never seems to fit in well in the SE, and maybe Iheanacho). Midfield is as good as it gets, would have made a case for Ibrahim Olawoyin getting invited but Finidi went for the more established/experienced players so his time will come. Also the midfield looks more balanced with a perfect blend of a DMF, CM, and AMF (asides from Iwobi, Tella can also play as an attacking midfielder).

the list is ok but na our defense dey fear me 🀣

The only reliable 2 I see there re osayi and bassey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Darell2002(f): 9:26pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:
the list is ok but na our defense dey fear me

The only reliable 2 I see there re osayi and bassey
How is Osayi reliable?

The only reliable defenders there are Bassey and Ajayi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Franktom247(m): 9:45pm On May 24
This Awaziem call up does not sit well with me
Finidi should come and explain the rationale behind it

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Darell2002(f): 9:48pm On May 24
Franktom247:
This Awaziem call up does not sit well with me
Finidi should come and explain the rationale behind it
He is the prayer warrior of the team

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:54pm On May 24
Darell2002:
He is the prayer warrior of the team

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ€£

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:20pm On May 24
Rohr and Peseiro had problems with balancing the midfield call-ups... Now it seems like Finidi want to have problem with the defence .
Granted, some regulars like Aina, Zaidu and Ekong are not fit, but he sjould have at least called up any of Tonnuarigha, Bruno or Oguh.... I hope he gets it right though ..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 10:21pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:
20 years? I no dey put mouf for player age but this one I fit argue am till next year 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
That’s why NPFL no go ever grow until dem stop this age cheat issue. 38 years dey claim 20. Na so so old men full NPFL.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 10:21pm On May 24
How can people believe that this is the list? lol!

None of NFF and Super Eagles social media handle posted it and people believe it? lol!
Finidi just said yesterday that they are still working on the list!
Chukwueze is injured! Sadiq Ismaila can never be on the list!
ChrisKels:
Funny looking defense but good to have Okoye back. Let's see what the NPFL players can offer sha. 6 midfielders πŸ‘
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Darell2002(f): 10:25pm On May 24
Marjoribanks:
How can people believe that this is the list? lol!

None of NFF and Super Eagles social media handle posted it and people believe it? lol!
Finidi just said yesterday that they are still working on the list!
Chukwueze is injured! Sadiq Ismaila can never be on the list!
Aren't you the one that believe the one that had akpoguma few days ago

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 10:27pm On May 24
Oasis007:
List is out.

So who captains this team? I hope Ndidi or Bassey

Come ooo. What connects Finidi and Ojo?Wetin Awaziem dey do for this list? With that careless back pass he gave in the Mali friendly that cost us a goal? Where is Tourinagha or Akpoguma? Who be Taminu and Sadiq again abeg?

Our midfield needs creativity like Ejuke please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 10:29pm On May 24
I believe that one to this ridiculous list!
Darell2002:
Aren't you the one that believe the one that had akpoguma few days ago
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:30pm On May 24
lbrichman2:

I hate to get into age-related issues but this guy is not less than 30
Make some people dey fear God abeg
Wayne Rooney should be 60 by now...oga make we leave this age matter.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:36pm On May 24
Truidstarr:
That’s why NPFL no go ever grow until dem stop this age cheat issue. 38 years dey claim 20. Na so so old men full NPFL.
NPFL na age grade competition?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 10:47pm On May 24
komekn:

It's not just the pairing in my opinion he is arguably the best defender in Africa 🌍.

A player they haven't looked at but should have is Tim Iroegbunum.
Is Ola Aina injured ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56pm On May 24
charlesemeka85:

He is a CM/AM

Ibrahim Olawoyin is also good on the flanks too.

His good attributes I have seen are,
Dribbling (I expect Finidi to totally cut this out from him and only dribble when necessary)
Passing (His through pass game is sound).
Work rate
Defensive duties. Contributes his part.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:00pm On May 24
Oasis007:
Finidi will play 3 at back. He doesn't invite plenty forward to play for at back. Nathan likely to start as a wingback.

In the interview, he said he would likely play a 4-3-3 formation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:02pm On May 24

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:35pm On May 24
I would have given the list a πŸ’― but for the defense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 11:39pm On May 24
I watched this lookman TikTok goal highlights and all I can say is, someone need to slap chukwueze back to consciousness.

https://www.tiktok.com/@helky.sanu3/video/7372181506581728518?_t=8md2PtbuAWj&_r=1

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 11:51pm On May 24
mostob:
Saliba
Gabriel
Dias
VVD
Stone

Ake, Akanji, Van De Ven, Branthwaite lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:01am On May 25
Age cheating since 90s. Cant these guys just decide to wake up one day and at least adjust the system in such a way they'll still chop but do the right thing??

Oh, na me dey expect too much from empty skulls running the league.

How will this One be claiming he's younger than

Saka
Phil Foden
Bobb

In 2024. This one dey claim 2004 when some of us dey do 4corner post at end of term in secondary school? Haaaaaaa

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:09am On May 25
Marjoribanks:
I believe that one to this ridiculous list!

Ognla media who is one of the most vocal Finidi supporter already confirmed the list..
Also, Remo Stars already confirmed Sadiq Ismail invitation on their official page..
We all know that the NFF social media pages are always slow to post stuffs like this

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 12:15am On May 25
Odunayaw:
NPFL na age grade competition?
The norm is to reduce your age so as to make you more attractive to foreign clubs. Agents and players are in the game together. That is the primary aim of the players and agents. To sign for any club abroad. Whether Enyimba get ambition to win league or qualify for CAF competitions that is not their business. How will the league grow even when those who play in it have other ambitions?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:43am On May 25
Between Lookman and Diaz. because Diaz is now Moroccan and will win a UCL and La Liga title as a benchwarmer??

Biko, Lookman sits levels, in impact and performances, above Diaz this 23/24 season.

forgiveness:

Salah, Kudus and the other guy no go win shingbin.

It's between Lookman and Diaz but January still far. grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16210) (16211) (16212) (16213) (16214) (16215) (16216) ... (16353) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: joxxy01(m), daveP(m), Amedino99(m), TheSuperNerd(m), KpagoGIN(m), Marjoribanks, XshegzzyeeiX2 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.