Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2094) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11929986 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2091) (2092) (2093) (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Chill guys I never intended to bash anyone. I only inquired from him how many times has he watched Nwakaeme play both ib the SE and his clubside before calling for his head in the team already.

That guy was played out of position (though he features as a CF at times for his club). We all saw his skills, passing and movements when he moved to LF in that game.

Rohr wasn't drunk when he invited him. There was a reason.

First Off is Nwakaeme the only player that has been bashed here? In that case how would players like Echiejile, Onazi, Iheanacho, Akpeyi, Ezenwa etc feel also reading comments on here.

He has made his observations about Nwakaeme, and that is his opinion. What you can do is to counter it with facts and let the argument go on smoothly.

That's all we need.

Your points on Nwakaeme are also noted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:09pm On Nov 13, 2017
Kog45:
True talk,I believe with my little experience of watching the game especially super eagles since 1980 i should able to know a player who is good within 30 minutes and the one not good enough,no need of patching up,I say it.

Haha..More like "what an elder sees sitting down a child even when he climbs a tree cannot see it."

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
A player like him needs not be on the bench in a club like maiz!
He is not on the bench because his ability was found wanting, it is due to issues bordering on contractual disagreements.

Mainz are preparing for life without him

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2017
This is a freaking lie. How many Barca's games have you watched this season

O pari

kingphilip:
the players you put up there as being considered by Brasil were NEVER considered during their time in the Chinese league. Hulk was considered before he went there; Paulinho was considered after he went there and have been starting ever since he joined Barcelona; Tardelli just got only a call up which is the last game and sincerely i don't know where he plies his trade presently; Oscar was a regular before he went to China and haven't been called up since then even to be a training material even at his very young age which should be between 27-28 years.

does it really mean both Oscar and Hulk suddenly loss form since they went to China or Paulinho is now competing for world best winning various MOTM since he came to Barcelona?

are these players Defoe, Alves, Robben, Evra, in the Chinese league too?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:22pm On Nov 13, 2017
It depends on what games you were talking about. Against Zambia in Lusaka, we could've scored 3 goals within the first 20 mins. Against South Africa in Calabar, we could've scored 3 goals within the first 20 mins. So go figure ....

O pari

somehow:
water and levels thing.
BTW, has anyone noticed that we don't warm up into games on time? We take time to stable up and a tactical team would have put 2 goals into our net within the first 20 mins.

I have been noticing this for a while now, everyone should watch our first 20 mins again to confirm what I'm saying.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
Kog45:
Yes quite annoying.

I read Alphonsus Dike comment on Ezenwa and am baffled.He said Ezenwa is a smart keeper but very poor when it comes to cross or aerial ball.

He noticed this weakness as his coach when he was in Ranger fc but on the verge of correcting it,Ezenwa moved to Enyimba,this weakness gave Ebere Obi,Mikel senior brother an edge over him in Ranger.

My point is this after almost three or four season ago if am right(icon4s, goldfish80, enomakos) can tell us the year he was with Ranger fc.If Ezenwa is still battling with the same issue that coach Dike discovered some years ago then i fear for Super eagle.

I believe so much on experience but if experience ones lacks the rudiments of goalkeeping then the talented and the young ones should be given chance.

Uzoho definitely must have learnt a lot coz no European club we have a keeper without giving him solid foundation.

The same thing Alampasu, he must have gone through a lot as a young keeper in Portuguese league,learning basic things as a keeper.

Ajiboye too must have learnt a lot.I remember he was once on the book of lowly Spanish club,time for Rohr to give these guys chance,let us see them in action,enough of patching player for us.

Uzoho i watched against Girona is better than Ezenwa,Ajiboye i watched against Guinea is better than Ezenwa, Alampasu cannot be worse than Ezenwa i saw against Algeria.

Enyeama coming back is dicey,so we need to get it right now or else we regret it.

Akpeyi confidence issue Ezenwa lack basics then what do we do than to turn to the young ones,let see their performance may be we don't even need Enyeama.

I made a comment about Ezenwa after the Cameroun game. He was getting lots of plundits and most people gave him the number 1 Jersey on the back of the performance.
I made it very clear then that Ezenwa is not a Super Eagles number 1 material. Most people felt I was just an Akpeyi apologist.

I knew Ezenwa when he was at Heartland back in 2009, he was Akepyi's deputy in the Heartland team that lost to Tp mazembe in the Caf champions league final. When he moved to Rangers, Ebele Obi (Mikel's elder brother) kept him out of the Rangers squad.
Ezenwa is the old skool kind of goalkeeper who is into more of shine-shine, show booting and fancy stuff (who saw the Cyruf turn he sold the Algerian attacker in the first half). Infact he plays too much, he's like a comedian at times.
The result of his playfulness is total loss in concentration and making quite avoidable errors.

Again, his height is a very big minus. A goalkeeper should at least average 6ft4. Being tall is a huge advantage for a goalkeeper. Most American goalkeepers, Tim Howard for example started out as a Basketballer.
We know how big America is with sports science.
This should give you the inclination the direction we should be going towards, in search for Enyeama's successor.
Ezenwa was a stop gap and nothing more.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:29pm On Nov 13, 2017
We could, we could but we didn't, but a better team will punish us.
Icon79:
It depends on what games you were talking about. Against Zambia in Lusaka, we could've scored 3 goals within the first 20 mins. Against South Africa in Calabar, we could've scored 3 goals within the first 20 mins. So go figure ....

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2017
Oh thanks for the info, I guess he needs a better contract.
SerVik:

He is not on the bench because his ability was found wanting, it is due to issues bordering on contractual disagreements.

Mainz are preparing for life without him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2017
Just imagine his contributions in these clips.Thank you jare!
wayodude:

In my humble opinion Ogu, has for several years presented our best goal threat from midfield. I have been baffled as to how he hasn't been considered for selection when the likes of Esiti and Igiebor have been called. I think post 2014 World Cup, Ogu has been better than Onazi. That is again my opinion.

I am short on time but see 1:21 and 2:13 of the below link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSMfsf0cPc&t=27s

also 7:40 of this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUvGvPGMus

See 3rd paragraph from bottom of this match report. http://www.skysports.com/football/italy-vs-nigeria/304017
I cant find the video clip of that shot against Italy. I was at that match live in Fulham! smiley

finally found it; see 2:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5Kobsrx-M

These are clips of Ogu showing his goal threat in the green and white of the super eagles, not for his clubside!

I have said this before on this site (https://www.nairaland.com/3131374/nigeria-vs-luxembourg-international-friendly/1#46140895), the 2 most underrated Nigerian players right now are still Micheal Babatunde and John Ogu. Take that to the bank.They are the perfect examples of the importance of playing in a good league even if for a crap club side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2017
Omo, I was just responding to your claim that we're perennial slow starter.

O pari

somehow:
We could, we could but we didn't, but a better team will punish us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 2:36pm On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
Oh thanks for the info, I guess he needs a better contract.
His contract runs out in the summer. Mainz wants him to renew but he wants to leave.

They are preparing for life without him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
wayodude:

I couldn't agree with you more!

I have been observing comments here about players that can strengthen our current team and it is infuriating what even some of the most sensible guys here are saying.

Except players like Matins and Uche are playing in a top league and scoring goals like they did in their prime, why consider them for the World Cup? At least we can all agree they're no longer in their prime, right? By the way, in their prime what exactly did they achieve at the world cup? Did they achieve so much that it is inconceivable that our current squad and of course other younger options will be unable to match it? How many World cup goals does Martins have to his name? or Ike Uche? In fact both those guys had their main strength in their searing pace, and trust me they've lost more than a yard of pace since you last saw them in action at the highest level.

And about the Goal keepers and all the talk about Enyeama being recalled. While he was good, and no question he had some really exceptional games where he saved us from embarrassment, he was equally as poor in key games. We didn't bother castigating him though, because we knew he had an exceptional performance in him waiting again to be put on show.

I put it to anyone who wishes to argue that if we choose to point a finger of blame at anyone over our World Cup exit in 2010 AND 2014, Enyeama is not free of fault. Infact sadly he is a contributor to our exits. Though I still think he's a national hero.

In 2010 - no1. blame goes to Kaita for silly red card against Greece. Granted public enemy number 1, and rightly so.

no. 2 blame goes to Enyeama for spilling a long range shot which a Greece striker pounced on to score the winner. He literally dropped the ball on the foot of the Greek forward for a tap in! If the likes Ezenwa did that we wont hear the last of it. To save time see 5:30 on below yotutube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAojhrjGCFQ

no. 3 blame goes to Enyeama again. He moved to the left just before the freekick is taken which gives S. Korea their second goal. If he doesn't do that, he saves that free kick 100% and we maybe go on to win considering the balance of play on the day!! See 1:17 of below youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yoblanjis

In 2014 vs France Enyeama comes out to punch a routine cross and misses the ball completely leaving an empty net for Pogba to head in to. See 0:55 of below link. Will Ezenwa get away with this kind of error?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOzkCOzK-64

I liked and like Enyeama, Martins, Obasi etc but others should have a chance. They were good in their prime, but not so good they should present an obstruction to the growth and exposure of the new generation.

Nailed it!! That's what they don't get these players are probably older than they claim and have had thier times what did they do so spectacular in thier time that should warrant a call up, just because of experience?...we say we are trying to build a new generation of quality players why not let them bond and grow together for the greater good of our football but they want to call guys who may not have as much energy and desire as our current squad. It's not even like the last World Cup where we lacked quality we have so much talented youngsters that should be in the team especially when they deserve it.we say we want build for the future but still aching for the past, nawa.
That's how they insisted Ik uche and he ended up not performing in that World Cup, I'm not saying experience isn't important but we need quality experience not just experience for mouth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:40pm On Nov 13, 2017
goldfish80:

I made a comment about Ezenwa after the Cameroun game. He was getting lots of plundits and most people gave him the number 1 Jersey on the back of the performance.
I made it very clear then that Ezenwa is not a Super Eagles number 1 material. Most people felt I was just an Akpeyi apologist.

I knew Ezenwa when he was at Heartland back in 2009, he was Akepyi's deputy in the Heartland team that lost to Tp mazembe in the Caf champions league final. When he moved to Rangers, Ebele Obi (Mikel's elder brother) kept him out of the Rangers squad.
Ezenwa is the old skool kind of goalkeeper who is into more of shine-shine, show booting and fancy stuff (who saw the Cyruf turn he sold the Algerian attacker in the first half). Infact he plays too much, he's like a comedian at times.
The result of his playfulness is total loss in concentration and making quite avoidable errors.

Again, his height is a very big minus. A goalkeeper should at least average 6ft4. Being tall is a huge advantage for a goalkeeper. Most American goalkeepers, Tim Howard for example started out as a Basketballer.
This should give you the inclination the direction we should be going towards, in search for Enyeama's successor.
Ezenwa as a stop gap and nothing more.
I know you and icon4s w say much when it comes to NPFL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:40pm On Nov 13, 2017
Bingo! Truer words have never been spoken. You don tok am finis ... to add anything else would be most uncivilized.

O pari

Joebie:
Rohr will make the best decision for the interest of the team, considering other factors.
For now, Aina is ahead of Echiejile at LB. If Idowu fails to come better than Aina at LB, it will be in the best interest of the team to keep Aina at LB.
Modified:
But if Idowu proves to be a very solid LB, then we can start talking about who is a better RB between Aina and Shehu. Then Aina should have his chance at RB in friendlies.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2017
Rohr should try out uzoho and other goalkeepers too, ezenwa is just not quality for the world cup. Now I understand why rohr kept referring to him is our third choice.
The penalty was not my problem in this game because ezenwa was potentially going to concede a penalty the same way he did against Cameroon. just take a look at his position here.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
Kog45:
I know you and icon4s w say much when it comes to NPFL.

My guy, I have followed Ezenwa since 2007 U20.

Even his club career.

I am not sold out on him.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mickael2:

before today I am sure you could have named five players that should be tested before Martins with Nwakaeme joining your list, but we have seen that he isn't good enough. This now begs the question, why keep on trying to jump over the fence when the gate is wide open and nobody shot you the last time you used it? These guys(Martins and Uche) have done it for us before, I am pretty sure we don't need to 'test' them, but y'all want us to keep 'testing' greenhorns that may not come good until the world cup proper when we only have two(?) international windows before the World Cup
as far as I am concerned, Martins is in the same category as those green horns.

That he has come good before does not mean he will come good now. So, if we try him once and he fails to meet up, what next? We should take him to Russia because he has 'done it' before?

Are people supposed to go to the World Cup based on their exploits four years ago?

Martins is in no better a position than the likes of Dessers, the only difference is that he used to be a regular about seven years ago, same as Uche.

How many games did Ola Aina need to be part of the team so much a lot of people say he is a sure bet to the World Cup?

Even if it is just one game. You can tell a good player in minutes like Kog45 said. Nwakaeme spent over 60 minutes on the pitch, but Onyekuru needed just 25 minutes to be ranked higher by the audience.

So far, Rohr is wasting time calling up defenders when he needs to be arranging forwards.... Call up Dessers against Seychelles next year. We can size him up then, Martins has not given a reason to be considered considering his age. Defoe was the best performing player for Sunderland in their run up to relegation, that was his ticket to Bournemouth and the English team.

What is Martins doing in China currently? Is he the best player in his team? I couldn't stop laughing when Komekn cited his performances for clubs in the last 10 years, who is asking about a decade-old performance? Give us something recent like Ighalo did, let's know the basis of his call up

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2017
Which we are or you think otherwise
Icon79:
Omo, I was just responding to your claim that we're perennial slow starter.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
Kalapizim:
Rohr should try out uzoho and other goalkeepers too, ezenwa is just not quality for the world cup. Now I understand why rohr kept referring to him is our third choice.
The penalty was not my problem in this game because ezenwa was potentially going to concede a penalty the same way he did against Cameroon. just take a look at his position here.

I made some comments about Ezenwa before the Cameroon game. He lacks some of the fundamentals. Positioning, handling crosses etc. He got through the qualifiers impressively with his confidence but for the WC proper, we need better options.

The pic you posted shows outrageous position.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by RoyalBlak007: 2:59pm On Nov 13, 2017
♤Ezenwa and his theatrics grin

♤Not World Cup quality at all embarassed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:04pm On Nov 13, 2017
Well then he should make arrangements for his fitness o. World cup year getting closer
SerVik:

His contract runs out in the summer. Mainz wants him to renew but he wants to leave.

They are preparing for life without him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
NFF: Why Gernot Rohr Is Interested In Enyeama

By Kayode Ogundare:

Toyin Ibitoye is the Media Officer of the Super Eagles of Nigeria which is in Krasnodar, Russia preparing for Tuesday evening’s friendly international against Argentina as part of the build-up to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Ibitoye was live from Russia to lagos-based Channels Television station to speak about issues surrounding the national team, last Friday’s World Cup qualifiers against Algeria among others.

Completesportsnigeria.com brings you excerpts of the interview…

How’s the mood in camp for the game against Argentina?
We are happy to play this kind of high profile game very early in our preparations to show us where we are lacking and need to strengthen our squad so that we can present a strong team that will make Nigeria proud next year at the World Cup.

gernmot-rohr-super-eagles-completsesportsnigeria.com

Can you let us in into who and who would be playing on Tuesday?

The starting line-up will be out a few hours to the game but the coach has already hinted that he would be making changes to the team that faced Algeria because the essence of the game is for us to try out as many players as we can to see what our options are. The coaches will decide what the changes will be between this morning and a few hours to the game tomorrow evening.

Don’t you think there’s a danger in playing Argentina now when the possibility exists that we could be meeting them when the draws are made? Won’t that mean that they would have knowledge of our strength and weakness and use that against us?

The draws have not been done yet so there’s nothing wrong with playing Argentina. If we say we should be scared that the Argentines would have better knowledge of our team in case we meet them at the World Cup, then it works both ways. They should also be scared that Nigeria would have better knowledge of their team too. We should not be too worried about that but we should look at the benefits of playing a team like Argentina. They have pedigree as former World Cup winners, losing finalists at the last edition and they have arguably the best player in the world in Lionel Messi. So, frankly, I think we stand to benefit more from playing them than they would from playing us.
We should thank our Match Agent Jairo Pachon for being able to get us this high profile game because, if you look at the FIFA window for friendly games, we don’t have too many between now and the World Cup so we should make use of all the opportunities we can get to strengthen our team and be ready to face the best 31 teams from across the World.

Let’s go back to the Algeria match. The officiating was not top-notch and one would feel the referee was acting a script with that penalty and the other decisions that he failed to give in our favour?

It’s very tricky when you talk about the referee’s decision and all of that. That referee, Eric Otogo-Castane, is easily one of Africa’s best and had an excellent game in my opinion until that moment when he gave that penalty in the dying minutes of the game. Unfortunately, that one call made a mess of the good work he had done all through the game but it doesn’t make him a bad referee all of a sudden. I think it was just an error of judgement on his part. It’s one of those things that happen once in a while in the course of games. We thought we had done enough to win the game but the referee thought otherwise. Things like this happen everytime. Sometimes it could be to your favour and sometimes it could work against you. Fortunately the game was inconsequential as we’d already won the WC ticket. It was just a test game to see a couple of new players in a competitive game. We have moved on from that and we are now looking towards the next game against Argentina.

super-eagles-argentina-nigeria-completesportsnigeria.com

Will there be other high-profile friendly games apart from Argentina?

Sure. We are looking at the possibility of using the FIFA window in March to play another grade one friendly. NFF President Amaju Pinick, a member of the CAF Emergency Committee raised the possibility of moving AFCON qualifiers from March so that World Cup bound teams could use the window to perfect their preparations. His argument was that since the AFCON is in 2019, there’s no harm in shifting the qualifiers till after the World Cup in July. This is a brilliant suggestion and, for me, one of the gains of having him in CAF at that level. His suggestion will be tabled at the CAF Executive Committee meeting very soon and we hope they approve it so that we can play a friendly match in March. After that we have to wait till the end of the season in May to get the team together again. I think it will be a smart move if CAF can adopt Pinick’s recommendation on using the March window for World Cup preparations instead of playing AFCON qualifiers for a tournament that will be held in 2019. No doubt we’ll have friendly games and we will seek to use all available opportunities to improve the team.
If you must do well at the World Cup then you must prepare well and to prepare well, you must play the best teams. Argentina is one of the very best.

The coach has said the bulk of his team will be from the squad that won the WC ticket but are we considering players who were not involved in the qualifiers but who have something to offer?

I don’t want us to misunderstand the coach so maybe I should give you the context in which he’s talking. The coach has not ruled out any player who can improve this team going forward to the World Cup. If there’s any player that’s better than the ones we already have in the team, I’m sure the coach is willing to give them the chance to come and prove their mettle. He’s not ruled out anyone. The World Cup is still a long time away and we hope some new player will step up and have the required quality to be in the team. The team spots are still up for grabs and everybody must justify their inclusion.

Is the coach also considering recalling Vincent Enyeama?

As for Vincent Enyeama, his issue has been on for a long while and coach Gernot Rohr has made it very clear that he’s open to Vincent’s return if he rescinds his decision to quit the team and makes himself available for selection. He’s presently injured and in rehabilitation but gradually getting back into shape. If he gets back and finds a club, plays regularly for his club and makes himself available for selection, then he would be invited. We all know Vincent and his pedigree. He’s world class, one of Africa’s best, has experience from three World Cup tournaments and has won Man of the Match awards in World Cup games. So if he’s available, I’m sure the coach will be amenable to inviting him for the World Cup party. All of these is dependent on Vincent rescinding his decision to quit international football. For someone who’s had 100 caps for Nigeria, I’m not sure you can shut the door of the national team on a player like that if he’s available and willing to play.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:58pm On Nov 13, 2017
Kog45:
True talk,I believe with my little experience of watching the game especially super eagles since 1980s i should able to know a player who is good within 30 minutes and the one not good enough,no need of patching up,I say it.
You are right Sir. A player might be good but not good for the Super Eagles. It sounds contradictory but if you've watched our team for long you will quickly recognise a player that has national team DNA in him. Even if the player doesn't play well, you will see flashes, glimpses that will tell you this one carry the Eagles gene. Let the coach give Nwakaeme another chance. Meanwhile I am happy for Onyekuru.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:11pm On Nov 13, 2017
Icon4s:

Haha..More like "what an elder sees sitting down a child even when he climbs a tree cannot see it."
True. Super Eagles has DNA. Some players have it, some don't. They say that when a mother Eagle hatches the eaglets, she turns their eyes towards the sun. Anyone that cannot look at the sun, she kills it because she feels an Eagle must be able to look at the sun cos the sun strengthens their vision.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

It's not about goals. It's about our style. Anyway maybe that's our own uniqueness but the disadvantage of a style is that tactical teams can easily dismantle you unless you have very good players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 4:16pm On Nov 13, 2017
tbaba1234:

I made some comments about Ezenwa before the Cameroon game. He lacks some of the fundamentals. Positioning, handling crosses etc. He got through the qualifiers impressively with his confidence but for the WC proper, we need better options.

100% spot on boss, he lacks the fundamentals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:18pm On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
Just imagine his contributions in these clips.Thank you jare!
Wayodude went deep. Ogu is always looking to score. In the clip I saw that he fired the exact same long left foot curler that scored against Algeria, against South Africa and had two more goal bound long range shots.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2017
wayodude:

I couldn't agree with you more!

I have been observing comments here about players that can strengthen our current team and it is infuriating what even some of the most sensible guys here are saying.

Except players like Matins and Uche are playing in a top league and scoring goals like they did in their prime, why consider them for the World Cup? At least we can all agree they're no longer in their prime, right? By the way, in their prime what exactly did they achieve at the world cup? Did they achieve so much that it is inconceivable that our current squad and of course other younger options will be unable to match it? How many World cup goals does Martins have to his name? or Ike Uche? In fact both those guys had their main strength in their searing pace, and trust me they've lost more than a yard of pace since you last saw them in action at the highest level.

And about the Goal keepers and all the talk about Enyeama being recalled. While he was good, and no question he had some really exceptional games where he saved us from embarrassment, he was equally as poor in key games. We didn't bother castigating him though, because we knew he had an exceptional performance in him waiting again to be put on show.

I put it to anyone who wishes to argue that if we choose to point a finger of blame at anyone over our World Cup exit in 2010 AND 2014, Enyeama is not free of fault. Infact sadly he is a contributor to our exits. Though I still think he's a national hero.

In 2010 - no1. blame goes to Kaita for silly red card against Greece. Granted public enemy number 1, and rightly so.

no. 2 blame goes to Enyeama for spilling a long range shot which a Greece striker pounced on to score the winner. He literally dropped the ball on the foot of the Greek forward for a tap in! If the likes Ezenwa did that we wont hear the last of it. To save time see 5:30 on below yotutube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAojhrjGCFQ

no. 3 blame goes to Enyeama again. He moved to the left just before the freekick is taken which gives S. Korea their second goal. If he doesn't do that, he saves that free kick 100% and we maybe go on to win considering the balance of play on the day!! See 1:17 of below youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yoblanjis

In 2014 vs France Enyeama comes out to punch a routine cross and misses the ball completely leaving an empty net for Pogba to head in to. See 0:55 of below link. Will Ezenwa get away with this kind of error?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOzkCOzK-64

I liked and like Enyeama, Martins, Obasi etc but others should have a chance. They were good in their prime, but not so good they should present an obstruction to the growth and exposure of the new generation.

Lol... Vincent is not faultless. However it must be said, Vincent makes up for his errors with stunning performances. He got to the level where anything he does, is OK. Critising the coach and FA.
Even Ikeme is not infallible himself. I posted a few of his fockups in the Championship and they almost ate me alive here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2017
Icon79:
This is a freaking lie. How many Barca's games have you watched this season

O pari

this is a case of jumping into an argument

mind remind me where this argument started??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:25pm On Nov 13, 2017
tbaba1234:

Of all the attributes that Ikeme has, his sense of positioning is finely tuned. He has this uncanny ability to be at the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:30pm On Nov 13, 2017
goldfish80:

Ezenwa as a stop gap and nothing more.
A goalkeeper should be tall but not very tall because parallel balls will be difficult for him to catch.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2091) (2092) (2093) (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Elohe001 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.