Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750494 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2125) (2126) (2127) (2128) (2129) (2130) (2131) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:37am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
Asin.... His boldness no be here o. Echiejele gats upgrade to see Russia o.

He simply sent a clip of himself to Rohr, and that was it....

wow, na the kind players wey want for naija be that, no be the ones we go dey kneel down beg

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:41am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
yeah Awaziem has improved on his handling of the ball. Balogun is off form for now and can be excused. That nomination gingered Ekong. The difference BTW Shehu and Ebuehi is while one sits back and frustates attacking opponents fullly.. .the other has pace to join the attack and still recover comfortably. Question is: Is Papi Rohr attempting looking stupid in tactic to make opponents loose guard. He just embarrassed the mist sort after manager in European club sphere.
Ebuehi plays posh football. Has very good sense of rhythm and movement. Knows how to conserve his energy (though we still need to see him play a full match and also against African sides)

It was good for Rohr to throw in Awaziem with Balogun and Ekong to shore up his confidence. He should use this to climb over his awful showing against South Africa. Next will be to try him out with either of Balogun /Ekong and also just him and Omeruo.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:42am On Nov 15, 2017
Goke7:

wow, na the kind players wey want for naija be that, no be the ones we go dey kneel down beg
Those ones go humble now. VicMo must stop his selfish play if he wants us to score freely. I like the false 9 tactics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:42am On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Only Akpeyi is out. Every other person has a robust chance of going to the WC. I doubted Musa but he was sharp yesterday. The thing is everyone's going to fight a good fight to go to Russia.

Bros, I've read you here. You are not given to hasty conclusions. Don't do so now. Before yesterday, many said ooooh Shehu has locked down the RB. But look how Ebuehi has made a very strong statement with his formidable performance. He took many by surprise because some doubted his ability due to the fact that Rohr kept him on the bench for three straight games even the dead rubber against Algeria. Some saw that as a sign of Rohr's doubting the young man. But Ebuehi proved his doubters wrong- He was calm and his poise on the ball is lovely. Some even said he's edged out Shehu. But not yet for me. Aina might be tested there now and you be like wow, what a performance. You can never tell.

Aina is not my 'dear Aina'. All of them are dear to me. I am eager for everyone of them to perform well. I said that Shehu should be moved to the midfield IF Aina gives a strong showing at RB. It's my way of accommodating him cos his versatility to play as RB and DMF would be needed.

hahahaha Mujtahida'my dear Aina'they want to tag you leader 'team Aina'pls you just need to end some arguments when is going to label calling meaning the person don't see any good in player you are trying to express your view on.

Check it out Team Echiejele are springing up to attack team Aina,not new here we ve had team Ndidi vs Onazi,team Iheanacho vs team Ighalo,team Akpeyi vs team Ezenwa.

Let see how it goes in camp cos as a veteran,Echiejele just need to work harder now cos Idowu and Aina are there for him to compete with, honestly good for the team.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

He plays posh football. Has very good sense of rhythm. Knows how to conserve his energy (though we still need to see him play a full match and also against African sides)
i doubt we'll play any African team again though. Ebuehi was never beaten yesterday by any attacker....composure. I think we 100% know the defenders going to Russia already.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2017
Just see what these Mexicans are saying on YouTube.

Very funny set of people. Seems there's some bad blood between them and Argentina.

some are already hoping for a final between Mexico and Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:47am On Nov 15, 2017
Nigeria and Mexico are candidates for the world cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:47am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
Those ones go humble now. VicMo must stop his selfish play if he wants us to score freely. I like the false 9 tactics.

True

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:47am On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thanks, I've read them
I notice many Nigerians posted on that site. Perhaps live there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 10:49am On Nov 15, 2017
Kog45:
My guy I know you know football and this is the time to tell ourselves the truth.

The rising of Enyeama was like a magic he came in and stole the show just one cap to WC meaning he was giving the opportunity at the right time.

My university coach was the goalkeeper trainer for Eagles when Enyeama was discovered.My varsity coach said he took him just 20 mins to tell Onigbinde that this guy is WC bound.

He said as at that time Enyeama was better than Shorunmu but they are not ready to take the risk but the risk was taken when Shorunmu fumbled against Sweden.My varsity coach went to Onigbinde that Enyeama must be in goal against England.

Let me give you brief history of Nigeria goalkeepers,prior to 1980 nations cup, Emmanuel Okala was the first choice but when Father Tiko came and saw that Okala has passed his prime,he took a decision and threw in Best Ogedegbe as number 1.a very good decision.

At afcon 84 we have experience Patrick Okala the younger brother of Emma but Onigbinde stick with young Peter Rufai though Rufai missed the Afcon final due to injury and we dearly paid for it cos Patrick was in goal.

Let me jump it and this one w be so confusing cos a lot w not agreed with me but it's a fact.Peter Rufai at US 94 has passed his prime but find his way into the team due to fans pressure at the expense of in form Deportivo LA coruna Wilfred Agbonavbare who kept most of Nigeria qualifications matches in a spectacular way,this guy was dropped to the bench for Dodo Mayana.At Afcon 94 anybody that watched semi final and final can testify,Rufai was exposed but Westerhoff still stick with Rufai.

So sometime we don't need experience keeper to do it but the best to be in goal.

Am one of the apostle of calling Enyeama back but watching Uzoho against Girona changed my mind,he has what it takes to be number 1,the height is there, reflex, confidence what else again,see him against Argentina tells a lot, if experience cannot carry Ezenwa and Akpeyi then to hell with experience.

Enyeama is out for 6months and that should tell you a lot,some keeper w come back better but some we struggle to form,so what are the assurance that we w see better Enyeama.

Apart from football reason,you made a valid point,w the recalling of Enyeama not destroy the high and lovable spirit in camp.
Nice trip down Memory Lane but I disagree on the form of Wilfred Agboni(basket) that time, he was actually given that epithet for a reason which is obvious. I can remember he conceded 6 goals in a LA liga game I think against Deportivo LA coruna where some argentines ply their trade. The argentines mocked the late agbonavabre and they wished he would be in goal against them so as to continue the onslaught. Dudu mayanna passed his prime in 94? I don't think so bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 10:50am On Nov 15, 2017
In 2014,we were ranked 33rd in the world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:51am On Nov 15, 2017
Kog45:
hahahaha Mujtahida'my dear Aina'they want to tag you leader 'team Aina'pls you just need to end some arguments when is going to label calling meaning the person don't see any good in player you are trying to express your view on.

Check it out Team Echiejele are springing up to attack team Aina,not new here we ve had team Ndidi vs Onazi,team Iheanacho vs team Ighalo,team Akpeyi vs team Ezenwa.

Let see how it goes in camp cos as a veteran,Echiejele just need to work harder now cos Idowu and Aina are there for him to compete with, honestly good for the team.
That's just it. I wont write him off just yet, I won't say he's not needed. Lack of competition spoilt Echiejile but I want to believe he would work to raise his game. We are building a solid squad and I'm all for a team that oozes quality so much so that if it possible, we wipe out the distinction between first eleven and second eleven so that anyone on the bench can offer as much as anyone on the pitch.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:55am On Nov 15, 2017
Let's hear from the horse's mouth. This is a projection

I have put the projected rankings in a spreadsheet. This is just an estimate.
Let's expect to be ranked around 48 in December.
Below you will find the old ranking, projected points for December and the new rankings.

realpoacher:

Most likely

With a draw you still get points. I have been able to get the formula from fifa website.

P = M x I x T x C

For November

Match 1: Algeria vs Nigeria
Scores = 1 - 1
Strength of confrendation = 0.86 - 0.86
Strength of opposition = 159(200-41) - 133(200-67)
Therefore M = 1 - 1
I = 2.5
T = 159(Algeria) - 133(Nigeria)
C = 0.86

Nigeria P = M x I x T x C = 1 x 2.5 x 159 x 0.86
= 286

Match 2: Argentina vs Nigeria
Scores: 2 - 4
M = 0 - 3
I = 1 (friendly)
T = 159 (Argentina) - 196( Nigeria)
C ={ 0.98 (South America) + 0.86(Africa)} /2
= 0.92
Nigeria P = M x I x T x C = 3 x 1 x 196 x 0.92 = 541

Total points for the month of November =
286 + 541 = 827 x 0.4(% for number of matches)
= 331

Current Nigeria fifa rankings points = 721(41st)

721 + 331 = 1052

Therefore, Nigeria's November points should be 1052. Barring any plus or minus, we should be around 25 grin in world rankings by December.

Thank you Argentina cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 10:55am On Nov 15, 2017
Off pitch relationship coming into play. Good for Nigeria

daveP:
Who noticed the way Uzoho was shouting at his senior brothers in defence? Something Akpeyi can't do. Does he even know the rules of a gk?

Papi Rohr gats start both Nacho and Iwobi henceforth IMHO. Their understanding is second to none on field of play.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:56am On Nov 15, 2017
Below you will find November ranking, projected points for December and the new FIFA Rankings for December.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:56am On Nov 15, 2017
Goke7:

True
Kayode still needs to play 90 mins for me to judge his effect. Imagine a Vicmo selflessly playing with nacho enjoy iwobi near box 18...... Cold catch ne
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:58am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
yeah Awaziem has improved on his handling of the ball. Balogun is off form for now and can be excused. That nomination gingered Ekong. The difference BTW Shehu and Ebuehi is while one sits back and frustates attacking opponents fullly.. .the other has pace to join the attack and still recover comfortably. Question is: Is Papi Rohr attempting looking stupid in tactic to make opponents loose guard. He just embarrassed the mist sort after manager in European club sphere.

That was why I was expecting Rorh to sub in Ebuehi for Iwobi instead of Musa against Algeria.

He plays going forward very well, playing LMF won't be difficult for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 10:59am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
Asin.... His boldness no be here o. Echiejele gats upgrade to see Russia o.

He simply sent a clip of himself to Rohr, and that was it....
t

Good move...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:02am On Nov 15, 2017
Slimydude49:
How we accommodate iwobi in our conventional 4-2--3-1 that we play.. Maybe moses Simon will have to sit on the bench.. Iwobi is the truth
Variety is the spice of life.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:03am On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Ebuehi plays posh football. Has very good sense of rhythm and movement. Knows how to conserve his energy (though we still need to see him play a full match and also against African sides)

It was good for Rohr to throw in Awaziem with Balogun and Ekong to shore up his confidence. He should use this to climb over his awful showing against South Africa. Next will be to try him out with either of Balogun /Ekong and also just him and Omeruo.

Ebuehi sabi maths.

His play tells it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:08am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
Kayode still needs to play 90 mins for me to judge his effect. Imagine a Vicmo selflessly playing with nacho enjoy iwobi near box 18...... Cold catch ne

I think rohr will have to adress the vicmo selfish play though lots of folks still argue whether vicmo is selfish or not. But if you hear the English commentary of the highlights, you will hear the commentators commending the one touch play of the Eagles leading to the goals. Just hope vicmo saw the game

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:08am On Nov 15, 2017
The coaching crew should adjust expectations on Balogun. The guy seems to be reverting back to his pre - Gernot Rohr form.
A back 3 of...... Awaziem...... Ekong....Elderson/Ogu, should be considered at some point.
I will like a left-footed player on the left side of a back 3 like Chielini does for Juventus.

I recall reading somewhere that Rohr played Ogu and Elderson as CBs in training. Elderson seems to be tailor made to this role in my opinion. He's defensively solid and hard to beat at times. He just lacks the pace to run the flanks.

On the back of Balogun's display in recent times, the coaching crew should think outside the box and discard sentiments before making decisions.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:10am On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
Let's hear from the horse's mouth. This is a projection

I have put the projected rankings in a spreadsheet. This is just an estimate.
Let's expect to be ranked around 48 in December.
Below you will find the old ranking, projected points for December and the new rankings.

Our failure to qualify to the nation's cup back to back really affected us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:13am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
Who noticed the way Uzoho was shouting at his senior brothers in defence? Something Akpeyi can't do. Does he even know the rules of a gk?

Papi Rohr gats start both Nacho and Iwobi henceforth IMHO. Their understanding is second to none on field of play.
There's telepathy between the two of them but until there's telepathy throughout the whole team from defence, to the midfield to the attack, we don't have a team yet.

I judge a team as having reached a high degree of telepathy when one begins to see back heels, long range passes and fluid mass movement so much so that you are hard put to determine the tactics or formation, when a team begins to play instinctively, when team mates can intuit and anticipate the movement of their colleagues. When you hear the sound of music as they play, when their movement is like a dance and when they play with intensity and yet with Joy. Once a team reaches this point even average players become superb. It's spiritual Bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:16am On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:
I noticed throughout yesterday, we hardly had any point man in the middle.
Did we just try out the false nine? Cos I noticed it too. Iheanacho played wide as did Iwobi with both of them drifting inside to connect with Mikel and each other.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:16am On Nov 15, 2017
Goke7:
[left][/left]
Pls Sir, don't let your love for aina make you blame someone else for his own personal error, the fact that he was subbed says it all. He was poor against both algeria and argentina period where he had more game time than the Zambian match Let's say it the way it is!
My dear friend stop labelling guys here for expressing their views.

I see you calling Mujtahida'dear Aina'now me my love for Aina,so you hate him or what.

Pls talk football and let us have healthy discussion than name calling and i still repeat it Balogun was at fault for the Argentine second goal,just watched it again.

Hope you read my comment on Aina performance so what do you expect me to say or do you think Echiejele w perform better than Aina,if you think so no issue it's your opinion which I respect but i w rather take Aina to WC than Echiejele, my opinion cos am not Rohr.

OK you want me to say Echiejele is better, no my man Echiejele is not,Echiejele last good performance was 2013,till today he has been struggling to justify his inclusion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:20am On Nov 15, 2017
A more accurate (still an estimate)

Senegal to be ranked 23rd

junnyjake:

Our failure to qualify to the nation's cup back to back really affected us.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:21am On Nov 15, 2017
daveP:
i doubt we'll play any African team again though. Ebuehi was never beaten yesterday by any attacker....composure. I think we 100% know the defenders going to Russia already.

Seychelles by March.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:22am On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:

Ebuehi sabi maths.

His play tells it all.
I just took to the young man. His height too is another advantage in neutralising aerial threats. We still need to see him one more time again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:24am On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Did we just try out the false nine? Cos I noticed it too. Iheanacho played wide as did Iwobi with both of them drifting inside to connect with Mikel and each other.

.Absolutely!

That was the concept.

We've seen Liverpool play with same tactic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:25am On Nov 15, 2017
goldfish80:
The coaching crew should adjust expectations on Balogun. The guy seems to be reverting back to his pre - Gernot Rohr form.
A back 3 of...... Awaziem...... Ekong....Elderson/Ogu, should be considered at some point.
I will like a left-footed player on the left side of a back 3 like Chielini does for Juventus.

I recall reading somewhere that Rohr played Ogu and Elderson as CBs in training. Elderson seems to be tailor made to this role in my opinion. He's defensively solid and hard to beat at times. He just lacks the pace to run the flanks.

On the back of Balogun's display in recent times, the coaching crew should think outside the box and discard sentiments before making decisions.
Question marks on Balogun. Since the double header against Cameroon he's not performed well enough again. Someone said he's out of form. I don't know but his showing has not been satisfactory meanwhile Ekong keeps improving.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:28am On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
A more accurate (still an estimate)

Senegal to be ranked 23rd

Bleep FIFA rankings. Let my team continue ranking on the pitch. That's all I need. Cos I don't understand this voodoo arithmetics they use in ranking teams. We should be number two or three in Africa.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2125) (2126) (2127) (2128) (2129) (2130) (2131) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jihday(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.