Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,568 members, 7,850,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:20 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11868370 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2128) (2129) (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2017
Icon4s:

That is it bro.

Nigeria to drop from 41st to 48th in the world.

Once again, no thanks to that Algeria draw.

WQ qualifiers carry more weight than friendlies.
but cameroon drew too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:

I like it to. But I didn't want to say anything so as not to be the odd one out.

Most national team jerseys are plain, so I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary from Nike.
I prefer it to the feminine looking lime orange green we used in Brazil. This one is charged. I like deep colours sha maybe that's why and green is not my color. Iwobi get better body sha. Jersey fits him wella

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:06pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. watching that first half again. Aina did not do badly.

He did not do badly at all. However, he lacked the attacking drive needed from wing backs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2017
in fact we didn't go forward much in that first half, until we conceded the second. I think most of the blunder -- except Akpeyi's -- was due to positional awareness in a new 3-5-2 formation.

tbaba1234:

He did not do badly at all. However, he lacked the attacking drive needed from wing backs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:10pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

In Kayode's cases, Rohr doesn't want him but the problem is, Rohr made us believed players not good enough in camp don't need to play but here we are, Ogu and Ebuehi performance yesterday said otherwise.

Ebuehi was wonderful and far better than Shehu going by the match I watched today. Offensively and defensively he is better than Shehu.

Well, it may be due to the formation or pattern of play and that is one of the reason we still need to see him(Ebuehi) play in a 4-3-3 formation.
Read this

Nigeria
EBUEHI’S PERFORMANCE AGAINST ARGENTINA DIDN’T SURPRISE ME – Gernot Rohr
The impressive performance of ADO Den Haag Dutch-Nigerian full back Tyronne Ebuehi against Argentina didn’t come as a surprise to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr .
Ebuehi put up an impressive display for Nigeria in the 4-2 win over Argentina after coming on as a substitute for regular right back Shehu Abdullahi with Nigeria trailing Argentina 1-2.
His performance down the right pegged Argentina backward, which helped the Eagles to find their rhythm and hit three goals that gave them the win in the friendly game.
”We always know what he is capable of doing. He ( Ebuehi) has been with us for some time now, we won’t keep him if we have no faith in his abilities", Rohr said.
”I’m not surprised because I know his qualities and what he can do. He did well in the second half just like goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Brian Idowu during the game”.

Maxwell Pius
November 15, 2017
Source: owngoalnigeria.com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:12pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
in fact we didn't go forward much in that first half, until we conceded the second. I think most of the blunder -- except Akpeyi's -- was due to positional awareness in a new 3-5-2 formation.

It was a new formation but the personnel were not equipped for it.

Idowu plays as a wing back every week for Amkar so he is very suited.

Ebuehi is pacy and loves running forward.

Shehu and Aina are more defensive minded and that does not suit the position.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
My Observation from watching 35 minutes of the first half of the Argentina match:

1. Balogun is doing too much ball playing than he should do. He needs stay at the back and make simple passes.
2. Aina is good at marking his man. The formation demands that he go forward when we are in possession, this he did very well. Balogun has no business going forward. Balogun made Aina look bad.
3. The second Argentina goal was caused by Mikel. Now let me land before you fight me. Argentina was in possession in their backline and Mikel came forward to tackle, going completely out of the midfield position. Mikel as the pillar of our midfield, was absent as soon as Argentina launched a counter. Balogun in turn as I already mentioned was not at the back line, and was not fast enough to catch up, this exposed us at the rear.
4. Shehu could not keep up with his man. Our wing backs need to be really fast. Even Aina is not really fast. This formation calls for fast wing backs.
6. John Ogu is a very good tackler.
7. Ndidi is a workaholic. I see why he is compared to Kante.
8. We played conservatively. I think for the first 20 minutes or so we had not even managed a single shot at goal.
9. For the lapses mentioned above, especially Akpeyi's blunder, we didn't do badly in the first 35 minutes.
GBAM on your point number 1 and 3,Balogun always gives himself unnecessary problem playing ball instead of one time pass,hope you remember how he was dispossessed in that match.

Point number 3 made my day i don't even know Mikel caused it but i believe it's normal in football but what was the reaction of our defenders especially Balogun, he was already out and his pace caught him up.

Thanks and God bless for these points.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:16pm On Nov 15, 2017
ChrisKels:

Link to that site plz

BTW, u ain't the jigsaw of old kickoff, are you?
Yes... Kickoff Nigeria ,right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:19pm On Nov 15, 2017
Tbaba1234 take note of the bolded cos you've often stressed that our transitions are quick

BY KUNLE SOLAJA.
WHY NIGERIA DAZED US- PAULO DYBALA

Juventus striker and Argentina’s forward, Paulo Dybala, has explained why his team lost a two goal advantage and crumbled under the four goals Nigeria scored in response.
The Super Eagles of Nigeria on Tuesday came from two goals down in 36 minutes and fired full cylinder that led to the crumbling of the highly respected Argentine side.
He told Argentine television sports channel and online publication, TyC that after the two goals, the former two-time World Cup holders wanted to go for the kill.
From the publication in Spanish which the Sports Village Square translated into English, the Juventus star said:
“We wanted to find the third goal. But instead they fought back”. He also gave as excuse that Argentina crumbled under the physical strength of the Nigerians.
“On the counter attack, they (the Super Eagles) were lethal and we suffered the speed,” said the striker.
Source:https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/2017/11/15/nigeria-dazed-us-says-paulo-dybala/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:22pm On Nov 15, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
You don't make conclusions on a player just because of a below-par performance in just one game. Balogun is still Our best defender in that team, believe or not.

When a player has lost form you conclude that in a string of 3 or 4 games, not one.
... As you're already trying to put him on the black list.
The proof of the pudding is in the taste. If Balogun is our best defender, then he should prove it. No room for sentiments.
If Elderson or Omeruo had played as badly as Leon did. They would have been totally decimated by fans.
Leon must pick up. Period
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:22pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
This is why we need to catch these guys young and not wait until they get to the limelight.

Yes o, that's why I'd like our U-17 & U-20 teams create small space for these foreign born. We have a German and an American waiting in line.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:22pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:
Tbaba1234 take note of the bolded cos you've often stressed that our transitions are quick

BY KUNLE SOLAJA.
WHY NIGERIA DAZED US- PAULO DYBALA

Juventus striker and Argentina’s forward, Paulo Dybala, has explained why his team lost a two goal advantage and crumbled under the four goals Nigeria scored in response.
The Super Eagles of Nigeria on Tuesday came from two goals down in 36 minutes and fired full cylinder that led to the crumbling of the highly respected Argentine side.
He told Argentine television sports channel and online publication, TyC that after the two goals, the former two-time World Cup holders wanted to go for the kill.
From the publication in Spanish which the Sports Village Square translated into English, the Juventus star said:
“We wanted to find the third goal. But instead they fought back”. He also gave as excuse that Argentina crumbled under the physical strength of the Nigerians.
“On the counter attack, they (the Super Eagles) were lethal and we suffered the speed,” said the striker.

Source:https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/2017/11/15/nigeria-dazed-us-says-paulo-dybala/

It appears to be something that the team works hard on... We saw it before against Cameroon.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Saying a player from the last World Cup must be in the coming one is a room for bias and sentiments. We must go with the best in every role.

Finito.

E ti pari oro jare.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

It appears to be something that the team works hard on... We saw it before against Cameroon.
Sure it must be a thing they practice. It's their strength. They are lightening quick and like Dybala said lethal on the counter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
kennysville:
This game just served to show that right personel in right positions is all we need for things to work. And not sentiments. Aina is a good player but deploying him to the left was a bit hard for him to cope with. And that will probably make his rating to take a hit. Just unfair on the dude.

We still need more creative midfielders. If possible as much as 5 in the team. This game also showed that the best should always play at every point in time. I was kinda flustered when I noticed that Brian was left on the bench in the first half. And the Argies took notice of the fact that we had a weak left side and thus exploited it promptly.

I do however have a stick for Rohr..... He should learn to play his game and not be defensive or as some say here, conservative.he shouldnt play like Mourinho who sits back to see what Man city has to offer before making appropriate changes. In some games, we might not be soooo lucky to come back from 2 goals down. We should have soomany options and jokers to choose from but over and above, prosecute with the best legs as the good joe and Forgiveness will always say.

Final thought.... Competition for spots is what the team needsat this time. See how Akpeyi lost his spot on a platter of (definitely not gold)....whatever . I have always said it that the dude is no use to us. It seemed like being harsh. Same goes for Omeruo. We need an extra left back to support brian. We also need play makers. Now I believe those who feel Ogu is slow and not too good can give it a rest. Pace isnt everything. Keeping things tidy as a holding midfielder is key. The dude did just that.

It will be a remiss of me, if I do not mention what a wonderful strike from Iheanacho Kelechi today. He should keep it up. Keep working on his set pieces. Kudos to the whole team for mental resilience. To the coaching crew too for correcting their errors immediately. GOD bless Nigeria!

'Right personnel in right positions is what we need to make things work and not sentiment'

Sir, I salute. What else can be added or subtracted from this?

The quotation and the @bolded butressed my points on rightful choice of players in their rightful positions, and having many options to choose from.

Mikel Obi is the only creative mildfielder in the team yet Joel Obi, Raheem, Onomah and Abdul are wasting away.

See Ogu today, he showed maturity and experience but how do we know some of these aforementioned players are not better than him if we don't see them play as we saw Ogu yesterday?

For the left back I don't think Aina is comfortable in that role. He should be played in his prefered RB role if we want to see the best of him.

Moreover, Deji of Frakfurt is a natural LB ready to play for the national team. Hope he gets a look in one of those friendlies.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 1:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
How Idowu ran forward to be in position to score the third goal is beats me up till now. the guy just show from nowhere and boom !

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Sure it must be a thing they practice. It's their strength. They are lightening quick and like Dybala said lethal on the counter.

Hopefully, by the WC, we have perfected our counters...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
Especially as we did not have dedicated wingers, much of the wing play have to be done by wing-backs. And you are right about that, he plays as a left wing back for his club, and funny enough he is right footed like Aina. Wing backs need to be fast, because they are supposed to cover a lot of distance.

tbaba1234:

It was a new formation but the personnel were not equipped for it.

Idowu plays as a wing back every week for Amkar so he is very suited.

Ebuehi is pacy and loves running forward.

Shehu and Aina are more defensive minded and that does not suit the position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2017
I don't know if my boss Naptu2 has ever been a member of this thread.

He's got memories dating far back 70s. Yes!

We would be pleased to have you here sir, as we can benefit from your experience, there are others you'd meet here who are old timers too.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2017
Kalapizim:
How Idowu ran forward to be in position to score the third goal is beats me up till now. the guy just show from nowhere and boom !

He regularly plays Wing back at his club so he does not play with the hand-brake on like our regular full backs.. He is adept as bombing forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2017
realpoacher:

Your hate for Rohr's style of doing things is becoming obvious by the minute.

I bet you prayed hard yesterday for an embarrassing defeat for us in order to mock him.

Every day "Rohr must play this", "must invite that", "Rohr is corrupt", "Rohr is inept", "Rohr is this", "Rohr is that".

Maybe NFF should sack Rohr so that you can bring your badluck into our team.

Better drop your hate else you will choke on it!! tongue

Who is this notice me fella?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
Especially as we did not have dedicated wingers, much of the wing play have to be done by wing-backs. And you are right about that, he plays as a left wing back for his club, and funny enough he is right footed like Aina. Wing backs need to be fast, because they are supposed to cover a lot of distance.

Idowu also plays RB but has been playing as a left back regularly. He is comfortable with both feet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
Goke7:

experience is key, we can't discard that. No matter how good a player is, as any tournament progresses, experience is highly needed, without experienced players like moses, mikel and onazi, we won't have qualified for the world cup

Those players are also the best too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:32pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Read this

Nigeria
EBUEHI’S PERFORMANCE AGAINST ARGENTINA DIDN’T SURPRISE ME – Gernot Rohr
The impressive performance of ADO Den Haag Dutch-Nigerian full back Tyronne Ebuehi against Argentina didn’t come as a surprise to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr .
Ebuehi put up an impressive display for Nigeria in the 4-2 win over Argentina after coming on as a substitute for regular right back Shehu Abdullahi with Nigeria trailing Argentina 1-2.
His performance down the right pegged Argentina backward, which helped the Eagles to find their rhythm and hit three goals that gave them the win in the friendly game.
”We always know what he is capable of doing. He ( Ebuehi) has been with us for some time now, we won’t keep him if we have no faith in his abilities", Rohr said.
”I’m not surprised because I know his qualities and what he can do. He did well in the second half just like goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Brian Idowu during the game”.

Maxwell Pius
November 15, 2017
Source: owngoalnigeria.com

Tell me another story. Rohr knows what he can do but he was so scared to give Ebuehi 5 minutes against Algeria. I see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:33pm On Nov 15, 2017
goldfish80:

The proof of the pudding is in the taste. If Balogun is our best defender, then he should prove it. No room for sentiments.
If Elderson or Omeruo had played as badly as Leon did. They would have been totally decimated by fans.
Leon must pick up. Period
No dispute, you're right. But all I'm saying is not be too quick to jump into conclusions. Ekong also had bad games in the past where Balogun flourished.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 1:35pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

He regularly plays Wing back at his club so he does not play with the hand-brake on like our regular full backs.. He is adept as bombing forward.
yeah ! we goal looked like one of Chelsea's counters.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:36pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

Argentina played badly in the first half. It was not as if they were destroying Aina. Aina put in a decent shift defensively.

Aina struggled with having to bomb forward. His instinct is to hold back as a full back.

Defensively, he did not do badly.He was bad going forward.
True talk but if Aina were to play all 90 mins, I don't see us winning that match or scoring 4.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:37pm On Nov 15, 2017
yes quite versatile. Has even played at CB.
That's the kind of players we want -- lots of options.

tbaba1234:

Idowu also plays RB but has been playing as a left back regularly. He is comfortable with both feet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Cool downnon nwakali. Just some few days ago you and I were crying that rohr hasn't given ebuehi chance. But boy,dude was ready when he had the opportunity. We are all happy.our team is growing in strength. Don't write off nwakali. You should even pray he performs well so that the team can have depth.

Rohr must not invite Nwakali to the team until he deserves it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
I didn't even think of Moses.. lol
Well, now I see why England took Tammy's case seriously.. Now they are hugging all these players so we no go get space talk to them
Its tool late for them. Seems weve already taken the best among them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
yes quite versatile. Has even played at CB.
That's the kind of players we want -- lots of options.

Amkar plays a back 3 so that his CB role must have been part of a back 3.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:42pm On Nov 15, 2017
I'm not sure what you are getting at. CB is CB, regardless of the formation.
Awaziem, Balogun and Ekong all played as 3CBs yesterday.

Question, when Idowu played as a CB did he also play as the wing back?
tbaba1234:

Amkar plays a back 3 so that his CB role must have been part of a back 3.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2128) (2129) (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.