Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,911 members, 7,852,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11877875 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2129) (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) (2135) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
I'm not sure what you are getting at. CB is CB, regardless of the formation.
Awaziem, Balogun and Ekong all played as 3CBs yesterday.

Question, when Idowu played as a CB did he also play as the wing back?

It is like cesar azpilicueta playing as part of a back three. I doubt he will play in that role when playing with 2 CBs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:48pm On Nov 15, 2017
If Nwakali gets another call up, it would mean Rohr believes in his qualities. grin

forgiveness:

Rohr must not invite Nwakali to the team until he deserves it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

Tell me another story. Rohr knows what he can do but he was so scared to give Ebuehi 5 minutes against Algeria. I see.
Even the pitch could affect hiss performance

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
I think 2 things changed the game today. Iheanacho's goal and Leon being subbed. Nacho's goal gave the team confidence especially it's quality. Then Leon was poor again, we need to get him out of that club because lack of game time is really showing on him.

Leon was not poor though he made two mistakes in the first half, and the game was already changed before Leon went out. The scores was 3-2 before he went out.

I even noticed he played better in the second half.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
I didn't even think of Moses.. lol
Well, now I see why England took Tammy's case seriously.. Now they are hugging all these players so we no go get space talk to them

You DE mind them?

By the time we pick Onomah, Aneke polish them well, na that time their eyes go open.

Since their eye no wan open reach their side.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
Okay I get you.. But at least there is a possibility Idowu can play there for us especially now that we've started experimenting with the formation

tbaba1234:

It is like cesar azpilicueta playing as part of a back three. I doubt he will play in that role when playing with 2 CBs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
yes i'm surprised. He is actually good at shooting. Maybe only when he plays for the green white green.... lol
Precise shooter!

Moses and Iwobi are different players when they put on green.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
If Nwakali gets another call up, it would mean Rohr believes in his qualities. grin

419 quality. Why em no use am na?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Even the pitch could affect hiss performance

Well, that I don't know but we saw Aina played on the same pitch but nothing affected his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

Leon was not poor though he made two mistakes in the first half, and game was already changed before Leon went out. The scores was 3-2 before he went out.

I even noticed he played better in the second half.

Leon starts poorly but improves as the game goes on. It is a sign that he is not match fit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2017
Iwobi,Ogu and Ndidi, their face be like "we never knew you(Ebuehi) were this good".

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

Leon starts poorly but improves as the game goes on. It is a sign that he is not match fit.

Almost all the players started poorly.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:01pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

Almost all the players started poorly.

In the last few games, Balogun has been starting poorly. He needs to be playing regularly before the WC.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2017
EEGA:
Iwobi,Ogu and Ndidi, their face be like we never knew you(Ebuehi) were this good.

They see Ebuehi in training, they already know how good he is..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

I prefer it to the feminine looking lime orange green we used in Brazil. This one is charged. I like deep colours sha maybe that's why and green is not my color. Iwobi get better body sha. Jersey fits him wella

Dark colored materials absorbs heat than lighter colors, this can cause our players to get exhausted quickly, especially when playing in Africa where the weather is hot most of the time.

Which is why I'd prefer the light green/white when we play in Africa.

Though I wouldn't worry about the dark color this time since Russia is known to be really cold in most areas.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:10pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

They see Ebuehi in training, they already know how good he is..

Were u dere grin?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2017
Did you just say even Rohr was surprised because he didn't believe in Ebuehi? Read this:

Ebuehi’s Performance Against Argentina Didn’t Surprise Me – Gernot Rohr

The impressive performance of ADO Den Haag Dutch-Nigerian full back Tyronne Ebuehi against Argentina didn’t come as a surprise to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr .

Ebuehi put up an impressive display for Nigeria in the 4-2 win over Argentina after coming on as a substitute for regular right back Shehu Abdullahi with Nigeria trailing Argentina 1-2.

His performance down the right pegged Argentina backward, which helped the Eagles to find their rhythm and hit three goals that gave them the win in the friendly game.

” We always know what he is capable of doing. He ( Ebuehi) has been with us for some time now, we won’t keep him if we have no faith in his abilities “, Rohr said.

” I’m not surprised because I know his qualities and what he can do. He did well in the second half just like goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Brian Idowu during the game”.

Source: OGN

Kog45:
Yea Idowu had a classical game but i still see Aina making the team than Echiejele cos of his versatility but hope to see Aina at RB likely he may be better than Shehu and Ebuehi cos the boy Ebuhei does it with ease than Shehu based on the match i watched today even Rohr was surprised cos he didn't believe much on Ebuhei.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2017
I remember Ogu making a case for Ejaria. At that time Ogu was not even under consideration for SE.
junnyjake:

You DE mind them?

By the time we pick Onomah, Aneke polish them well, na that time their eyes go open.

Since their eye no wan open reach their side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2017
na so Ebuehi dey bench since na hahaha
forgiveness:

419 quality. Why em no use am na?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 2:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
These DSTV people are very funny. They were so concerned being considered favourites to host the Rugby World Cup that they didn't fight to be able to show our match yesterday. I wonder how shocked they must feel now that France has today,been named the host. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
You are right

junnyjake:

Moses and Iwobi are different players when they put on green.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 2:32pm On Nov 15, 2017
Eligreat247:
Did you just say even Rohr was surprised because he didn't believe in Ebuehi? Read this:

Ebuehi’s Performance Against Argentina Didn’t Surprise Me – Gernot Rohr

The impressive performance of ADO Den Haag Dutch-Nigerian full back Tyronne Ebuehi against Argentina didn’t come as a surprise to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr .

Ebuehi put up an impressive display for Nigeria in the 4-2 win over Argentina after coming on as a substitute for regular right back Shehu Abdullahi with Nigeria trailing Argentina 1-2.

His performance down the right pegged Argentina backward, which helped the Eagles to find their rhythm and hit three goals that gave them the win in the friendly game.

” We always know what he is capable of doing. He ( Ebuehi) has been with us for some time now, we won’t keep him if we have no faith in his abilities “, Rohr said.

” I’m not surprised because I know his qualities and what he can do. He did well in the second half just like goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Brian Idowu during the game”.

Source: OGN

I think he meant that his back-ups were as good as his first choice.

He once said "we have no second team".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
Below you will find November ranking, projected points for December and the new FIFA Rankings for December.

You're calling December rankings when November hasn't even been published
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2017
Icon4s:

Trust my calculations bro and start getting used to the disappointment.

I was equally shocked when I did it.

OK you win, though not because of the draw against Algeria but because of our cumulative within the 4 years period under review.

The Algeria match points will still count for us in the future.

As a matter of fact, that penalty goal scored by Algeria is still been contested at Fifa hence why the space is empty (no grading yet)

The bottom line is let SE keep winning, with time the rankings will reflect.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 2:41pm On Nov 15, 2017
Look at the "x" beside the goal. I believe that Fifa is investigating the referee currently for match fixing.

When through our points should be higher grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 2:42pm On Nov 15, 2017
Alexander35:
please is Brian Idowu left footed or right footed? anyway I think the team needs few left footed players for more balance. congratulations to the team.
He's right footed but utilise both feet (utility) just like Phillipe Lahm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 2:49pm On Nov 15, 2017
realpoacher:
Look at the "x" beside the goal. I believe that Fifa is investigating the referee currently for match fixing.

When through our points should be higher grin

FIFA says the referees decision is final and binding and can they be investigating an already given result?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CLT123(m): 3:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:
Add Joel Obi and you have a cracking WC team.
Remove Etebo for Joel Obi (only if he stay's injury free).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 3:28pm On Nov 15, 2017
Most Nigerians are fake SE fans. They are just waiting for dem to b beating so dey can abusing everyone in d team nd condemned dem totally. These people can't motivate you when you are facing challenges, rather, they would laughed at you and rubbished your entire passed successes than support you.

IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE ARE LOSSING, DON'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE ARE WINNING.

VERY UNPATRIOTIC ND UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 3:31pm On Nov 15, 2017
Kog45:
Did he concede it with nation team,hope you remember Cech conceded like 5 goals this season,does it mean he is not good.

As at 1993 Rufai was just trying to get his feet back and dropping a la liga keeper keeping week in week out raised a lot of questions then,though we won Afcon but it was glaring in the semi final and final Dodo Manyana was not Dodo of maroc 88.

The best of Rufai was 1983 to 1989 and nobody to argue that, this was Rufai of Stationary Store,Femo scorpion of Eruwa,Require Dragon of Benin Republic.

Did you remember Rufai was clubless in early 90s that forced him to go back to school,his clubless gave rise to Alloy Agu who was doing it well with Maastricht in dutch league and Agbonavbare at Deportivo LA Coruna.

Rufai contract at Lokeren was later cancelled it was hectic for him during this period and Westerhoff need to come in and recommended him to Go Ahead Eagles in Dutch league.

Westerhoff needs to listen to yearnings of fans cos we don't want see any keeper apart from Rufai, this was what cost the like of David Ngodigba eagles shirt.

Prior to our last WC qualifications match against Cameroon in Yaounde, Rufai came to camp uninvited and Westerhoff said no way,he took Ngodigba to Yaoundé, we lost the match by a lone goal but fans descended on Ngodigba for no reason.

The meted the same treatment on Alloy Agu,Nigerians don't want Alloy in goal no matter his performance though a very average keeper by every standard but Rufai was not having it good in Europe.

The discovery of long forgotten Agbonavbare was a masterstroke that assisted Nigeria in qualifying for her first WC,despite his heroic performance, fans still believe he was not the best even the NFF believed Rufai was the ultimate.

This forced Westerhoff to invite Rufai after qualification to afcon and WC to see Rufai cos he thought despite Agbonavbare performance and for fans to be yearning for Rufai then he must be a good keeper.

Goalkeeper trainer really work on Rufai to bring him back to form,this paved way for Dodo as number 1 at Afcon and WC but very glaring those that watched him at afcon 84 and maroc 88 knew Rufai has passed his prime just like Stephen Keshi.

I had a lot of discussion with Clemens Westerhoff cos i handled most of his utilities bills so we talked a lot on Nigeria football and the politics involved,so i was able to get some fact from him ranging from players selections and he said loyalty first before perfornance.

He said initially he doubted Rufai loyalty and also his club form did not help the situation and need to settle for Alloy Agu and Agbonavbare but he regretted not given him the chance prior to Yaounde match in 1989,that he later listened to fans yearning after 4 years just to take a look but funny enough the goalkeeper trainer admired Rufai.

he said Super Eagles was the most difficult job in the world cos everyone in Nigeria knows the game and love the team passionately.

Thanks for taking us down the memory lane.

It is true that Rufai went to Tunisia 94 due to pressure from Nigerians and especially the influence of Emeka Omeruah. However, he redeemed himself at USA 94. I think he was even ranked the 3rd best in the tournament. While he may have been past his peak, he was awesome in the group stages and made critical saves that kept us from going behind against Bulgaria and made the scoreline against Argentina more respectable. Let's also not forget that Westerhof started easing him back into the team in 1993 through the eagles "Team B" that prosecuted one of the WCQs against Congo and most of the AFCON qualifiers and prior to that Semi final match at Tunisia 94, Rufai had played 6 matches under Westerhof without conceding a goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
Abeg how did the Russia Vs Argentina game end?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:42pm On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:

Dark colored materials absorbs heat than lighter colors, this can cause our players to get exhausted quickly, especially when playing in Africa where the weather is hot most of the time.

Which is why I'd prefer the light green/white when we play in Africa.

Though I wouldn't worry about the dark color this time since Russia is known to be really cold in most areas.
Apart from aesthetics, functionality is also considered. I read one time that Rohr wanted a Jersey that gives more visibility to the players.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2129) (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) (2135) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThanosKilla(m), typicalgamer(m), Christology(m), jihday(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.