Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,628 members, 7,851,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11869698 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2143) (2144) (2145) (2146) (2147) (2148) (2149) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:24pm On Nov 16, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
That dude is a gift to Nigerian football. He's fast becoming a legend in Jay Jay and Kanu's class.

He's improves a lot despite leaving Chelsea for China. Capable of scoring goals unlike before, takes on defenders when you don't expect. The backbone of the team
They are watching him perhaps to take him out and stymy our game. We must be highly intelligent this time around.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:25pm On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

Solanke is a more complete player than Iheanacho. You can take that to the bank. grin
grin
forgiveness:

Solanke is a more complete player than Iheanacho. You can take that to the bank. grin
you mean solanke the England international?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:25pm On Nov 16, 2017
Kalapizim:
simon is good defending but the only draw back is his tendencies to go wide and try dribbling opponents which could lead to him losing the ball.
His final balls and decision is the problem
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:28pm On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

should in case he is dropped from the world cup list without been capped, he is good as gone. The same thing played out during Fashanu's era when the coach refused to cap him eventhought he was always on the bench. he was frustrated and dished us for England.

I hope Rohr doesn't give chance for the devil to work.
And if the March window for Seychelles is given up for the World Cup bound teams to prepare as proposed by Pinnick then, our other window is the world cup and if he's not chosen then it's dicey. Your points on this issue are spot on. It was an oversight not to have capped him that night in Constantine.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:31pm On Nov 16, 2017
komekn:

There are too many Ifs in your hypothesis.

It's impossible to make response that doesn't end up being nonsensical.
why can't you just be plain with this your English...considering the fact that some of us here....are still aiming to gain admission to high school.....me inclusive...
Lollll
anyway I understand your sentiment towards English players....probably because you're English also....
just know when to draw the line when the super eagles is being discussed...
those guys are now English internationals. ...
and for hope and aluko....you heard rohr...say that we should expect new faces come next year...meaning more players will be given a chance to impress....and possibly lay claim to the SE Jersey....

who would have thought...of Brian Idowu outing the last time...

so my advice for those buddies...aluko and others is to keep doing their thing....
they will soon be noticed....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:32pm On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

Okocha na Iwobi's Uncle. Iwobi father na Aina's papa pali. grin na d guarantee be dat.
If na us now you go shout nepotism
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:33pm On Nov 16, 2017
Mujtahida:

And if the March window for Seychelles is given up for the World Cup bound teams to prepare as proposed by Pinnick then, our other window is the world cup and if he's not chosen then it's dicey. Your points on this issue are spot on. It was an oversight not to have capped him that night in Constantine.
someone should please beg rohr to cap tie him in that match against sychelles even If it is for 3 mins....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:36pm On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

Abeg, leave Joe alone. One day em go tell him love say, if you want to marry me, marry me but if you want another sugar bobi, you have my blessings. Chai! grin

Na dat day we go know say d goodjoe fit turn badjoe. Chai! grin

i think he has alot of plegmaric character...

he is someone that is not radical and too proactive....

that statement he just made on ebuehi is something else....right now the dude should be cap tied immediately...let Idowu be left alone for the now....till the world cup then he will be cap tied....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 6:38pm On Nov 16, 2017
There were 2 occasions Ebuehi was running free but Mikel slowed it and crossed and then on the other he did a 180 and drew a foul rather than release Ebuehi and hope for d possibility of a goal.
But as I said it's a 'll good. Just that in the heat of watching the game our blood is hot as fans and you hope a player takes the action you see best on tv...

Kog45:
Oh Mikel slow!that's Mikel game right from U 17, nobody can change that,at what age,his game is cool now cos he always drew opponents to himself that gives other players opportunity to run into space for his passes and is working for the team,check most of our goals then you appreciate his slowness.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:42pm On Nov 16, 2017
Goke7:

I think with ebuehi's performance against Argentina, he will definitely be called up again and with another good showing, he is on the plane to russia. we don't have too many options on the RB and so ebuehi's chances are very high
Bros it was a mistake, an oversight. We have Shehu, Ebuehi and Aina contending for RB and ideally only two out of the three should be chosen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2017
Humility017:

sentiment aside...elderson is a no starter in the SE colors for now....Idowu and either of ebuehi or aina should be drafted to assist him there....
and deji should be called up to just train with the super eagles at least to prepare him for the future...Qatar 2022.

You have not said anything about Rohr's coaching ooo. Let's hear from you my Bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:49pm On Nov 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Majority of the players who qualified the team should be kept. Only players who are better than the current crop should be added. Introducing too many new players had its negative effects in our 2002 and 2014 campaigns. The team should also be a good mix of youth and experience as we hope to achieve a balanced transition in the team even beyond Russia 2018. The best players should be selected devoid of favoritism.

I do not agree with this point because restricting the selection throw a mix of experience and youth, or majority of those who qualified, tarnishes the last line of the paragraph.

We need the very best in every role. Those willing to play for us.

The problem with the last teams is not the introduction of new players but not fielding our best. It has been a reoccurring problem in the Super Eagles.
There's no contradiction. We have our best in the team already. We are looking at adding more best in a way that maintains stability and cohesiveness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:50pm On Nov 16, 2017
Humility017:

a bottle of wine for this comment bro...

he so much rates the super eagles low that he laments here...for championship players to be called to the super eagles....

whereas he can't spill such empty words whenever he talk of 3lions......

what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander...

if those championship players are not good enough for the 3 lions then they're obviously not good enough for the super eagles......

First of all, Sone Aluko dished England for Nigeria for the love he has for the country even when he was already capped by England at all level up to Under 19. He was already up the ladder to play in the 3 Lions.

He could have made the 3 Lions team with his performance at Rangers if he was not capped by us.

Sone Aluko played in Rangers before he moved to the championship just for one year because he singlehandedly helped Hull city gained promotion to EPl. He played in the Epl for two seasons before his club was relegated. Dont forget he helped dem to the FA finals before his team lost.

Despite all these runs of splendid performances all those years, he was still snubbed big time. Why?

Therefore, it is not about playing in the Championship because even when at the top nobody looked his way.

Same goes to Victor Anichebe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:53pm On Nov 16, 2017
komekn:

Is Lukaku English yet he is accorded unquestionable respect and accolades as possibly the best striker in the premiership.

Was Drogba English but he is regarded as a legend in the EPL and in Chelsea.

Thierry Henry is not English he even has a statue in his honor at Highbury.

Is Ngolo Kante English voted best player in the EPL by his fellow professionals.

Was JJay Oyibo but they never stop talking about him in the EPL. Was Kanu, Yakubu English or shall we talk of Gabriel, Sana, or Mane & Salah at Liverpool came from the Moon.

Mahrez that Leicester refused to sell is he not Algerian voted best African player in the EPL.

You may need like to be woken up very abruptly from your delusion, KC has not performed in the EPL that's why he is not even in the top 20. Since he left Manchester city his rating has dived. He needs to start performing at Leicester the good thing he is still performing for the SE but in the SE it's a different matter.

As it stands Tammy and Solanke are ahead of him and if they were in the SE there is no guarantee he would have displaced them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:54pm On Nov 16, 2017
MY PREDICTION

GROUP A
1. MOROCCO
2. GUINEA
3. CONGO
4. E. GUINEA

GROUP B
1. IVORY COAST
2. CAMEROON
3. RWANDA
4. MAURITANIA

GROUP C
1. ANGOLA
2. NIGERIA
3. SUDAN
4. NAMIBIA

GROUP D
1. LIBYA
2. ZAMBIA
3. UGANDA
4. BURKINA FASO

Danielnino00:
Lest we forget, The CHAN draw holds tomorrow...

Here's the seeding...

Pot1

-Morocco
-Libya
-Ivory Coast
-Angola

Pot2

- Nigeria
-Guinea
-Cameroon
-Zambia

Pot3

- Congo
-Uganda
- Rwanda
- Sudan

Pot4

- Burkina Faso
-Equiatorial Guinea
-Mauritania
- Namibia

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:54pm On Nov 16, 2017
komekn:

Is Lukaku English yet he is accorded unquestionable respect and accolades as possibly the best striker in the premiership.

Was Drogba English but he is regarded as a legend in the EPL and in Chelsea.

Thierry Henry is not English he even has a statue in his honor at Highbury.

Is Ngolo Kante English voted best player in the EPL by his fellow professionals.

Was JJay Oyibo but they never stop talking about him in the EPL. Was Kanu, Yakubu English or shall we talk of Gabriel, Sana, or Mane & Salah at Liverpool came from the Moon.

Mahrez that Leicester refused to sell is he not Algerian voted best African player in the EPL.

You may need like to be woken up very abruptly from your delusion, KC has not performed in the EPL that's why he is not even in the top 20. Since he left Manchester city his rating has dived. He needs to start performing at Leicester the good thing he is still performing for the SE but in the SE it's a different matter.

As it stands Tammy and Solanke are ahead of him and if they were in the SE there is no guarantee he would have displaced them.

The point is simple. While you are right that they've talked up the others you have mentioned, fact is they would have talked up Nacho if he were English. He doesn't need to be at the level of those guys before he's talked up if he were English. That's the point.

No talk Solanke and Tammy ooo. Aina hang with one leg now ooo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:55pm On Nov 16, 2017
Mujtahida:
My brothers, I just watched the match again for the third time. See, I know we've hammered this issue before but forget it:this FB have added their own uniqueness to our game which is sharpness. The Nigerian guys bring the flair and African rhythm.

Iwobi's passing is deadly, very deadly.
Abeg, all those who say Iheanacho has no speed have been unfair to him. Dude has good pace. Not blistering as goodjoe would say but very good pace.

Ogu played as the LMF and brought a lot of balance in the midfield with his tackling, aerial clearances and passes. We really need Joel Obi who is left footed. Our strength lies too much on the right hand side and it's not good enough. We must develop the left side of our game.

Apart from his goals Idowu didn't add much to the attack but he shut down Pavon unlike Ebuehi who was moving back and forth with Di Maria inside his pocket. I doubt if he can keep up the energy that such hardwork requires for 90 minutes.

Finally here's a piece from the commentator after Iwobi scored the fourth goal.
Iwobiiiiiiiii, through the legs of Mascherano - what an outstanding goal that is. He's got a second and Nigeria got a fourth. What a touch of genius from the Arsenal many. Astonishing scoreline, from two goals down now it's four two. Ahmed Musa with the pass and look at this from Iwobi, nutmegging Mascherano and firing high up into the net. Outstanding individual goal
Nacho has pace but struggles to beat a man. That's what's frustrating and probably why Pep sold him. If he had a bit of dribbling, no way would he leave city. His finishing is just too clinical
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:55pm On Nov 16, 2017
Humility017:

what are you saying oga goodjoe...
rohr messed up a little...
why not cap this guy in one of the competitive matches...even against Cameroon first leg match when we already won leading by 4 goals to nil...
Mistake, silly mistake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
I know but as far as FIfA is concerned, there is nothing like Central America because there are only two WC qualifying outlet in America: CONCACAF and CONMEBOL so both Peru and Costarica probably qualified from the same outlet so they can't be in the same group unless one from CONCACAF and the other from CONMEBOL, that North and South America. understand

Yes, Peru is from CONMEBOL, Costa Rica is from CONCACAF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 6:58pm On Nov 16, 2017
There is still a chance Russia can call Brian Idowu to come play for them, especially if we draw them in the group stages. So Ebeuhi and Brian Idowu are not guaranteed to play for us in the world cup yet. I guess the reason why Rohr said we should expect new faces. Not limiting himself, I like that typical German Oyinbo man thinking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:58pm On Nov 16, 2017
SerVik:

Haha.. See set up na, an English media outlet ranking SE as the 7th strongest team heading to the world Cup, ahead of England?

Can't be arsed though, this is all just a ploy to take away the underdog tag from us, everyteam will face us with the utmost level of seriousness now. angry
It's media psych - op. I am don't usually give credence to conspiracy theories in football but we have to be circumspect
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:59pm On Nov 16, 2017
Mujtahida:

There's no contradiction. We have our best in the team already. We are looking at adding more best in a way that maintains stability and cohesiveness.

I actually feel we have not tested enough players we should be looking a lot more players than we have so far.

England will possibly go through upwards of 45 players before deciding on a final 23. How many players have we looked at some far do not seem to be enough.

Are there players who are possibly better in this regard Joel Obi, Sone Aluko, immediately come to mind as well as striking options in Obagoal who had better stats than Ighalo before getting injured.

Until tested we do not know. Give as many deserving players opportunities to be tested so we can get the best possible 23 we can find. No sentiment best players go.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:01pm On Nov 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not see it as a messed up decision because if Ebuehi wants to play for us, he will wait and get capped. I hope he does want to represent us.
There's a certain naivete in your post about 'if he wants to play for us' that I find astonishing. That's how Alaba wanted to play for us and he's now in team Austria.
That was a slip on our part. Finito
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2017
junnyjake:

I'm not sure you added one of Goldfish's point, that one about camping in Russia early.

I stated the proposed camping in Russia, though I did not add the word "early" because camping only depends on the completion of the European season. You cannot call for camping earlier than the European season closes. Secondly, reporting to camp early is not an issue with this crop as they have always reported to camp in good enough time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
I know but as far as FIfA is concerned, there is nothing like Central America because there are only two WC qualifying outlet in America: CONCACAF and CONMEBOL so both Peru and Costarica probably qualified from the same outlet so they can't be in the same group unless one from CONCACAF and the other from CONMEBOL, that North and South America. understand
costa rica is north america na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Actually, I dated a lovely and pretty lady who came to me and told me she wanted to leave me for another guy. I kissed her forehead and gave her my blessings. "I hope he does make you happy." Then I left her house.

Months later, she called me asking why despite of my deep love for her, I did not fight to keep her. My reply was simple. "I wanted someone who wants to stay with me with all her heart. Not someone I will fight to keep her love."
I'll also do such a thing cos I respect people's freedom to make choices but omo let's be practical. Fine girls plenty na.
Shey you saw how Shehu fell short a RWB. Although we have Moses as can as well play RWB but nothing beats good options for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:09pm On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

Thegoodjoe baba, I throway salute ooo. grin

Em but em. Sorry, to say dis, you don't love her as Christ love the church and gave his life. Gbam! grin

Make dat girl run throway for you else, em go regret. grin

Anyway, we love Ebuehi and we must demonstrate that love to him, which in turn will be reciprocated by him after he perceives. grin
Though I'd do such a thing too but women also like men to fight for their love. It makes them feel they've been 'won'.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:10pm On Nov 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not see it as a messed up decision because if Ebuehi wants to play for us, he will wait and get capped. I hope he does want to represent us.

That is why we need that AFCON qualifiers game against Seychelles. We start Ebuehi and Idowu and they are capped for life.

After that Seychelles game there is no other full international debut opportunity before the world cup.

Pinnick should go and withdraw that his proposal to CAF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:11pm On Nov 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Christ love for us is not boyfriend and girlfriend love. Who loves a girl like Jesus Christ loves us? Lol. Do not break my ribs with laugh. The kind of love you are talking about is Sister in the Lord love. grin
Metaphor Bro. It's a metaphor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:12pm On Nov 16, 2017
Mujtahida:

You have not said anything about Rohr's coaching ooo. Let's hear from you my Bro.
may be when next he field elderson or probably mikel is absent you will hear me talk.....
but for now...the new tactics helped a great deal....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:13pm On Nov 16, 2017
Some people's hate for some players thick like charcoal.
Mujtahida:

How did you reach such conclusions? Have you asked him, have you read any report saying he's comfortable, do you know the details of his contract with Leicester? Haba! How can you so confidently say such things.
Recently I read him saying that the Hull City Coach Slutsky with whom he has a very good relationship from their time in Russia wants him at Hull City but that the only snag for him is that Hull City is a Championship club. He ended by saying everything is still under consideration.

So how did you reach that bolded. Smh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:15pm On Nov 16, 2017
Icon4s:

That is why we need that AFCON qualifiers game against Seychelles. We start Ebuehi and Idowu and they are capped for life.

After that Seychelles game there is no other full international debut opportunity before the world cup.

Pinnick should go and withdraw his proposal to CAF.
so.....oga icon4 you've shifted goal post...
I thought you were among those...still hoping for the young lad to mature up ...supporting rohr keeping ebuehi on the bench.....

sometimes what I have noticed wit my experience elites here on nairaland and beyond is fear to take risks....

just that fear.......
forget all those words of rohr...he never expect ebuehi to play so well....had it been he knew this all this while...he would have played him before now....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2143) (2144) (2145) (2146) (2147) (2148) (2149) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Eligreat247, Danielnino00(m), lakesidepapa(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.