Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,561 members, 7,850,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:58 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11868130 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2290) (2291) (2292) (2293) (2294) (2295) (2296) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:53am On Dec 06, 2017
edi287:

I'm starting to think when it comes to Nacho, some people lose any sense of rational thinking on here. We've seen people say Nacho is better than Martins was at his age despite a young Martins raping Nesta and Maldini then. Now we're hearing Martins was a flop for SE despite scoring being our 5th highest goal scorer and having scored 11 in his first 15 games. Funny thing is most are only advocating for Martins to be a squad player/impact sub. What is there to be afraid of?? If he flops at the friendlies - don't invite him. It's not that hard

I agree but who will captain martins? mikel? This is where the problem is, it's a cultural thing in the eagles set up that the oldest player captains the team to avoid unnecessary squabble. This is what most of us are concerned about. A martins or enyeama inclusion in that team right now will upset the team balance and we know it. Remember that oliseh had to stylishly freeze mikel out of the team to make musa captain and after oliseh left, the captain band had to be returned to mikel to balance the team again.

Moreover let's stop using the past heroics of martins to justify his inclusion, the martins that was raping nesta and maldini in the past is not the same martins today. let's be honest

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:53am On Dec 06, 2017
blacksteel:
How time flies...this same Martin that was forming for super eagles during his hay days @ Inter Milan is now begging to be part of the same team in 2017. Thank God we have a no- nonsense coach in Gernot Rohr. Trust me,if an indigenous coach was in charge of this team,alot of useless players who have passed their prime like Martins and Co would have been forced down his throat. The likes of Agali,Alloy Agu are the bad eggs in the current coaching crew. These guys are corrupt!

So, na Mikel Obi no form? His was worst yet we kept inviting him.

Even, Vicmo can't be exempted from this same attitude you are pointing accusing fingers yet he is the best player in our team. Abeg, find another cogent reason to nail Martins.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:55am On Dec 06, 2017
Kog45:
Thank you my brother.This has been my point of argument that we don't need players that would disrupt the peace and bond in the team.

Thanks Amaju for attesting to it that the spirits is awesome and has contributed to the success of the team.

A lot always forget how some players like Enyeama,Ike Uche,Osaze Odenwengie have been find wanting in eagles camp.

Vincent Enyeama as Eagles captain went on air to condemn the choice venue for Eagles match instead of meeting with NFF personally to express his view but went behind his team mates to express his displeasure to the media.Also his unceremonious exit from Eagles is still fresh though Olishe didn't showed enough maturity in handling the situation but Enyeama too went extreme with his behavior, no matter what he should have remained with the team and carry on just like Mikel did or what do you want us to say about Musa who was stripped too of captain band by Siasia and also vice captain by Rohr but still remain with the team,this show great character of a leader.

Osaze was one of the most indiscipline player i ever seen in eagles but a lot will not agree cos they forget easily.The same Osaze had a terrible issue with Lagerback at WC when he was benched for Chinedu Obasi,went on air that employment was a mistake on the part of NFF cos he distrupted eagles plan.He also had issue with Samson Siasia at Olympics 2008 forcing Siasia to benched him,after the tournament he said it openly Siasia wasn't ripe as a coach.The same thing happened between him and Keshi and some with short memories want him back.

Ike Uche should have been one of the greatest Nigeria striker but messed up during Afcon 2013 by went behind to meet NFF technical man Chris Green that Keshi lacks it tactically,this was prior to quarter final match against Cote d'voire.This was the reason Keshi was hell bent that Ike will not make his team to WC but Keshi keep on citing that Uche doesn't play with the team.

We do not need these types of players who would not be happy to sit on the bench or always castigating their coach tactics approach to the games.What we need now are players that will consolidates on our build up not the ones that w come to camp and started showing discourse.

Truly if Rohr need them especially Martins and Enyeama no issue cos i don't doubt their qualities but can they abide by the rules and regulations of the team,that's my concerns nothing more.

God bless you Sir, well said

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:57am On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

I agree but who will captain martins? mikel? This is where the problem is, it's a cultural thing in the eagles set up that the oldest player captains the team to avoid unnecessary squabble. This is what most of us are concerned about. A martins or enyeama inclusion in that team right now will upset the team balance and we know it. Remember that oliseh had to stylishly freeze mikel out of the team to make musa captain and after oliseh left, the captain band had to be returned to mikel to balance the team again.

Moreover let's stop using the past heroics of martins to justify his inclusion, the martins that was raping nesta and maldini in the past is not the same martins today. let's be honest
How do we know Martins or Enyeama wouldn't accept Mikel as captain?? Besides I've never heard of Martins being a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:58am On Dec 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

Nigeria
Rohr – Super Eagles Door Still Open To New Players, Why I Want Osimhen In My Team

But Rorh seem to like Osimhen and Success.

Let him not forget Dessers sha.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:03am On Dec 06, 2017
Nigeria to play England in a friendly in June should things go as planned by NFF member (Muhammad Sanusi).
I think it will help psyche the guys before our opening game against Croatia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:07am On Dec 06, 2017
Kog45:
:KOMNE,pls read this cos you said am being sentimental when i said i don't want Martins,Enyeama back due to unity of the team.

If it's Martins forget it. He's a very social guy, he'd get along with the team just fine if he's invited. He's a player I personally like, but I think his days with the SE are over.

many are scared he'd perform better than the players we have on ground, but I'm not. I'm almost sure these guys would give him a run for his money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:07am On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

you guys have a way of defending the flop of your favourite players even when its glaring to all grin

Ighalo and Iheanacho don flop too, times without numbers. Abeg, make we look ourselves in the face and tell the truth for once.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:11am On Dec 06, 2017
Komekn get ready to paint Wembley green, if this news turns out to be true.

NFF confirm England friendly for Super Eagles -

.com

Dec 6, 2017 9:16 AM

The much-talked-about friendly between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Three Lions of England is very much on track latest reports suggest. 

had before now reported plans for the Nigeria, England friendly but with a caveat that the game will be dependent on the outcome of the World Cup draw. 

And with Nigeria avoiding the English team in the group phase of the Mundial, the Nigeria Football Federation are said to have now confirmed that Super Eagles will tackle England in a World Cup warm-up in June.

“We plan to play a friendly against England in June before the World Cup,” Sanusi was quoted as saying on ScoreNigeria.

The venue and other details are expected to be finalised

shortly, the NFF scribe further said.

Both Nigeria and England will feature at next year’s World Cup.

The Eagles are drawn inGroup D along with Argentina, Croatia, and Iceland, while The Three Lions are drawn in Group G with Belgium, Panama

and Tunisia.

Both countries have clashed once at this level, in November 1995, when England won 1-0 at Wembley courtesy of a David Platt headed winner.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:11am On Dec 06, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I hope the screening of goalkeepers in camp will be fair and unbiased. Alampasu should be invited too.
I thought Rohr is a typical German,no German coach w rate average Ezenwa cos they always go for tall or exceptional keeper, hope you remember how Enyeama lost number one shirt to Ejide during 2008 Afcon.

I asked Aiyenugba after afcon and he said bros the moment Vogts saw Ejide height that him and Enyeama knew no way.He settled for Ejide before commencement of training and Ejide didn't disappoint.

Honestly i can't imagine myself as a coach and dropped Uzoho and Alampasu for Ezenwa,just too glaring, there is no way Ezenwa will deal with those crosses than the duo,apart from crosses,their physical presence in the goalposts is a plus.

The two guys i mean Uzoho and Alampasu just need more friendlies to boost their confidence and also need to push harder for better performance in their club sides.

Since we can't find better replacement for Ikeme and Akpeyi and Ezenwa have been behaving like toddlers in goalposts,we don't have options than to build these two guys up,hope Ajiboye too would get his chance at CHAN but very slim cos Ezenwa is CHAN team captain.

Honestly Alloy Agu NO DO WELL..

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:12am On Dec 06, 2017
blueto:
You people have started again. last time it was “Argentina will easily over run our midfield because of Ogu's lack of pace” but that was not the case. Ogu is a disciplined player who is aware of his weakness and tries to harness it to his advantage. He knows the right time to go forward and when to sit back and I will say he does the job better than Onazi who is known for running around and leaving the defense exposed. Why did Nigeria concede against Algeria in Uyo? Onazi and one other player were busy marking a single with the ball, and left another Algerian player in the face of the defense who received the ball and had all the time in the world to position and hit the ball straight to the roof of the net. With that kind of defensive lapses from Onazi against “top teams” in the world cup, the defense will be badly exposed which may be capitalized on. The team needs a disciplined player who puts his primary duty of shielding the defense first before any other thing and one of those player is Ogu. He was even the one that concentrated more on his defensive duties than Ndidi in that game against Argentina. The Argentines had tough time trying to go through the center, and he also assisted Idowu on the left. He may not be a very pacy player but he knows how to cope and play good football anytime he is called upon.

Why was it not exposed against France in 2014 while he was on the pitch?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:14am On Dec 06, 2017
edi287:

How do we know Martins or Enyeama wouldn't accept Mikel as captain?? Besides I've never heard of Martins being a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

It's a longstanding culture in the eagles for the oldest player to be captain and undisputed leader in the team, mikel can never be captain with an enyeama in the team. The older players have always been disruptive in our national teams or you think a mikel can set the rules for martins?

It's not a joke o! It has cost us real problems in the past world cups and afcon tournaments. You think all was well in the camp when yobo was present and enyeama was captain? Have you forgotten how enyeama quickly handed over the afcon trophy to yobo in 2013.

We can't simply afford those distractions in the world cup with the group we are in. Our players are not oyinbos for Christ sake despite playing in europe, na thick african blood dem get where seniority na big matter

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:17am On Dec 06, 2017
SerVik:

Name your 3

Vincent Enyeama, Dele Aiyenugba and Dele Ajiboye.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:18am On Dec 06, 2017
Whenever I see news of this kind, my smile broadens, because I know this guy is up for some surprise. ahahaha

Nigeria Will Be A Walk-over, They Have No Star Player Apart From Moses- Croatian Coach Says

[img]https://3.bp..com/-U9NoBqYqb48/WieYt4K9ceI/AAAAAAAAtMw/Y3bT5IJgJCclrmBoC9rqohIyQW376ZZbwCLcBGAs/s1600/106713-2a928e6c552f40ddc50af8c39b20f28a.jpg[/img]

Croatian coach, Boris Pučić, believes his side will thrash Nigeria in their 2018 World Cup fixture on June 16.

Speaking on Tuesday, he wrote Nigeria off, saying the only star player in the squad is Victor Moses.

”Obi Mikel plays in China, Moses has been injured for some time and has just returned to Chelsea’s first team, while others are all in some side-tiers.

”Iheanacho and Musa are in reserve in Leicester, Iwobi for Arsenal plays a bit more, but Nigeria is now the shadow of the national team that they once called ‘African Brazil.

”Simply, there is no star player besides Moses in Chelsea and the team is not close to what we remember from the World Cup in the United States or France that played really well.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:20am On Dec 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

Did he play the game alone for you to say the bolded? It is such exaggerations as this that open players up for criticism. Same thing most here do with Iheanacho. If analysis is balanced and moderate it would rarely elicit attack unlike this widely exaggerated statement of yours.

So, you didn't see how a one legged limping Martins scored the 2 two goals that qualified us for the 2010 WC?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:21am On Dec 06, 2017
forgiveness:

Ighalo and Iheanacho don flop too, times without numbers. Abeg, make we look ourselves in the face and tell the truth for once.

truth is martins have no place in the present eagles set up except the players you mentioned above are injured

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2017
edi287:

Enyeama left Eagles unceremoniously due to captain band issue, not having issue with Mikel is not the question,remember Musa is still in the team,how do you expect them to relate.This things brings confusion into the team.

If Rohr can manage it no wahala,they are Nigerians and are still eligible to play for us.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:23am On Dec 06, 2017
junnyjake:
Whenever I see news of this kind, my smile broadens, because I know this guy is up for some surprise. ahahaha

Nigeria Will Be A Walk-over, They Have No Star Player Apart From Moses- Croatian Coach Says

[img]https://3.bp..com/-U9NoBqYqb48/WieYt4K9ceI/AAAAAAAAtMw/Y3bT5IJgJCclrmBoC9rqohIyQW376ZZbwCLcBGAs/s1600/106713-2a928e6c552f40ddc50af8c39b20f28a.jpg[/img]

Croatian coach, Boris Pučić, believes his side will thrash Nigeria in their 2018 World Cup fixture on June 16.

Speaking on Tuesday, he wrote Nigeria off, saying the only star player in the squad is Victor Moses.

”Obi Mikel plays in China, Moses has been injured for some time and has just returned to Chelsea’s first team, while others are all in some side-tiers.

”Iheanacho and Musa are in reserve in Leicester, Iwobi for Arsenal plays a bit more, but Nigeria is now the shadow of the national team that they once called ‘African Brazil.

”Simply, there is no star player besides Moses in Chelsea and the team is not close to what we remember from the World Cup in the United States or France that played really well.”

same thing the algerian coach said and it took a dubious penalty to level up scores with the eagles. Talk is cheap mr boris. Serbia said same thing at the last world cup

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:24am On Dec 06, 2017
junnyjake:
Komekn get ready to paint Wembley green, if this news turns out to be true.

.com

Dec 6, 2017 9:16 AM

The much-talked-about friendly between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Three Lions of England is very much on track latest reports suggest. 

had before now reported plans for the Nigeria, England friendly but with a caveat that the game will be dependent on the outcome of the World Cup draw. 

And with Nigeria avoiding the English team in the group phase of the Mundial, the Nigeria Football Federation are said to have now confirmed that Super Eagles will tackle England in a World Cup warm-up in June.

“We plan to play a friendly against England in June before the World Cup,” Sanusi was quoted as saying on ScoreNigeria.

The Eagles are drawn inGroup D along with Argentina, Croatia, and Iceland, while The Three Lions are drawn in Group G with Belgium, Panama

and Tunisia.

Both countries have clashed once at this level, in November 1995, when England won 1-0 at Wembley courtesy of a David Platt headed winner.

Nigerian journalism is just wack. Scorenigeria taking credit for an interview conducted by Brilafm without acknowledging their efforts.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 10:27am On Dec 06, 2017
.com Dec 6, 2017 9:16 AM

FEATURE: The Super Eagles as underdogs in Russia
The much-talked-about friendly between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Three Lions of England is very much on track latest reports suggest.

And with Nigeria avoiding the English team in the group phase of the Mundial, the Nigeria Football Federation are said to have now confirmed that Super Eagles will tackle England in a World Cup warm-up in June.

and Tunisia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:28am On Dec 06, 2017
junnyjake:

You're doing a nice job Bro. Keep it up.
Thanks I'm learning fast grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:32am On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

It's a longstanding culture in the eagles for the oldest player to be captain and undisputed leader in the team, mikel can never be captain with an enyeama in the team. The older players have always been disruptive in our national teams or you think a mikel can set the rules for martins?

It's not a joke o! It has cost us real problems in the past world cups and afcon tournaments. You think all was well in the camp when yobo was present and enyeama was captain? Have you forgotten how enyeama quickly handed over the afcon trophy to yobo in 2013.

We can't simply afford those distractions in the world cup with the group we are in. Our players are not oyinbos for Christ sake despite playing in europe, na thick african blood dem get where seniority na big matter

Who was the oldest player in Festus Onigbide 1984 silver winning Nations cup team? Who was the captain then?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:32am On Dec 06, 2017
Dear Everton, if for any reason Onyekuru fails to get a work permit next summer, please don't loan him back to Belgium, he's outgrown that league already. Rather send him to Spain, France or Germany.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2017
nelszx:

Nigerian journalism is just wack. Scorenigeria taking credit for an interview conducted by Brilafm without acknowledging their efforts.

That's messed up and unprofessional of them.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:34am On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

truth is martins have no place in the present eagles set up except the players you mentioned above are injured

Did Ighalo and Iheanacho floped or not? Answer question.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:39am On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

and we landed in the 2010 world cup final ba? wonders indeed grin

I see. Mikel Obi won us the 2014 WC trophy? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:40am On Dec 06, 2017
edi287:

I'm starting to think when it comes to Nacho, some people lose any sense of rational thinking on here. We've seen people say Nacho is better than Martins was at his age despite a young Martins raping Nesta and Maldini then. Now we're hearing Martins was a flop for SE despite scoring being our 5th highest goal scorer and having scored 11 in his first 15 games. Funny thing is most are only advocating for Martins to be a squad player/impact sub. What is there to be afraid of?? If he flops at the friendlies - don't invite him. It's not that hard

Can you refer me to the quote? I want to know the moniker who said Kelechi was better than Martins at the same age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:41am On Dec 06, 2017
forgiveness:

Who was the oldest player in Festus Onigbide 1984 silver winning Nations cup team? Who was the captain then?
Muda Lawal was the oldest and 22 years old Stephen Keshi was the captain,this singular decision by Onigbinde always my point against anyone who called Onigbinde a tribal man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:42am On Dec 06, 2017
forgiveness:

Oh you are going that lane abi? that was why Onigbinde failed in 2002 when he tried a system that worked for him in 1984.

You keep using things from the past to want to justify the present and it's not working bro and cannot work.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:44am On Dec 06, 2017
tbaba1234:
NPFL Invitational: Contest for Enyimba's gloves starts here

The fight for first team goalkeeper in the camp of former champions, Enyimba International promises to be a matter of interest at the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Pre-season Invitational which kicks off at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano from Monday, December 11.

In his return to the club, coach Paul Aigbogun is faced with a headache many coaches would pray for. For the season, the club has listed three keepers with potentials to lay claim to the number one spot.

It is no longer news that the club has recruited national team keeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa. The question on many lips has been; will Ezenwa be the undisputed first choice at the Confederation Cup campaigners?

This question becomes pertinent taking into cognizance the presence of Theophilus Afelokhai and Ghanaian, Fatau Dauda. It will be recalled that there was no clear-cut first choice among the duo last season with former coach, Gbenga Ogunbote doing more of rotation.

There was little or nothing to pick between the two and with each passing training session, Ogubbote's task got more difficult. The club then instituted a type of incentive which saw whoever had more clean sheets between the two get some reward. Any keeper who had three consecutive clean sheets home and away got what was called the chairman's bonus.

This even made the competition fiercer. Not conceding goals meant more to the keepers. This writer got wind of the bonus after seeing Dauda's reaction to Stephen Odey's goal when Enyimba engaged MFM in Calabar. That goal in his first home game, jolted his quest for the chairman's bonus. Afelokhai went ahead to pocket the bonus once last season but never got a breathing space from Dauda.

After stints at Chippa United, Orlando Pirates and Ashanti Gold, Dauda came highly rated. Currently Ghana's third choice keeper, he commands a pedigree that could easily install him as a first choice in any NPFL club. The desire to keep his national team place has heightened his quest to be Enyimba's first choice.

But he has to contend with Afelokhai, a colossal figure between the sticks. Afelokhai moved to Enyimba after a 10 year stint at Kano Pillars which heralded the golden era of Sai Masu Gida. He was in charge as Pillars won the title three consecutive times. This was the intimidating reputation he brought to Enyimba, Nigeria's most successful team.

So whatever high ratings Dauda brought from Ghana was dwarfed by the serial winner, Afelokhai. Just as Afelokhai cannot dismiss Dauda's credentials with a wave of the hand. It is therefore understandable if a coach has difficulties picking one ahead of the other.

If Ogunbote had this headache last season, Aigbogun will even be faced with a tougher task next term with Ezenwa's addition. With Vincent Enyeama stalling on returning to the national team, Ezenwa is primed to be Nigeria's first choice at the World Cup thus the need to get more playing time.

Not a few attributed his poor showing against Algeria in Constantine to inactivity due to the NPFL season being on break. For him to excel at football's showpiece event, he must get regular competitive action. To do so, he must upstage Afelokhai and Dauda at Enyimba.

Was Enyimba the right choice for Ezenwa? Shouldn't he have opted for a club where he will be a clear-cut first choice?

Enyimba Sporting Director, Jude Anyadufu was at the center of the Ezenwa's deal and thinks it was the best for the player and the nation.

His words; "Ezenwa needs a big club like Enyimba that is also on the continent. He is going to the World Cup and could be Nigeria's first choice so he needs to play actively both in the league and on the continent. He needs to face quality oppositions that should give some idea about what he will see at the World Cup".

But would the presence of Afelokhai and Dauda guarantee the regular football Ezenwa would crave for?

Anyadufu replied; "He does not need any guarantee. He has to fight for his place. These two keepers will make him work hard both in training and in the matches. He doesn't need to be sure that he must start. That will make him feel relaxed. If Ezenwa must play for a club in the NPFL, it should be Enyimba. We will do our best in the club to ensure he is ready for the World Cup".

"We still have the chairman's bonus in place for this season. He has to battle it out with the other keepers. Before he gets the opportunity to keep clean sheets, he must play. And he has to prove to the coaches in training that he is better than Dauda and Afelokhai. We are happy to have three quality keepers in the team. You will also know that we are playing in three competitions. There will be enough matches for all of them to show what they can do. What it means is that whatever happens, we must have somebody solid in goal in every match"

The audition for Enyimba's number one spot this season starts with the NPFL Pre-season Invitational. While Dauda and Afelokhai will be on parade for Enyimba, Ezenwa will file out for CHAN Eagles. Interestingly, Enyimba and CHAN Eagles are in the same group. A scenario having Ezenwa on one end and the duo on the other is in the offing.

http://www.npfl.ng/index.php/news-features/club-news/2518-npfl-invitational-contest-for-enyimba-s-gloves-starts-here

I go go watch Enyimba match one day but if Enyimba fans see Ezenwa mess up, we go throw am pure water. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:52am On Dec 06, 2017
Kog45:
Muda Lawal was the oldest and 22 years old Stephen Keshi was the captain,this singular decision by Onigbinde always my point against anyone who called Onigbinde a tribal man.

Thank you very much. Do you know why we failed against Cameroun in the finals of 1984 Nations cup?

Don't you think it is the same goalkeeper issue?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:57am On Dec 06, 2017
National team is just one of his various jobs he's handled, so how come you are using the national team to judge him 100%?

Not all Nigerian coaches had it easy with the SE, some had to become puppets while some didn't. Siasia had issues with the players too, Keshi had with the Togolese players, it's not peculiar to Oliseh, it has more to do with Africans not respecting their own. Before national team, he coached some European youth teams and now he's doing it with a top club. Cut him some slacks and don't expect everyone to act the way you want. That's his style and so far so good is working for him. He's not the only coach with this way of working, they are every where in the world including known names. (Mourinho, pep etc).
junnyjake:

We've seen how he handled the National Team, same he he treated the veteran captain at his new club then went on to give the captain band to a 17 year old. He also had problems with the coaching staffs, some had to leave the club because of that.

The best thing that can happen to him is maturity.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2290) (2291) (2292) (2293) (2294) (2295) (2296) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Emmy450(m), sureleads, caprikon, Tinneh, Hardrive(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.