Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,604 members, 7,851,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:47 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2297) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11869170 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2294) (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) (2300) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2017
SerVik:

Uche did not score a single goal at Afcon 2013. Pray tell, how did he help win the trophy?
Even echiejile had more goals than Uche in that Afcon.

Who was the highest goal scorer prior to that 2013 Afcon tournament?

IKECHUKWU UCHE. Gbam! EOD.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2017
Obafemi Martins played a single game when Oliseh was there if I am not mistaken and that was the last we heard about him. Rohr never invited him through out our impressive qualifiers run and we still dont need him. Let him make his top dollars and let the better players play. Are you an Oduduwa paid agent or something?

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 2:35pm On Dec 06, 2017
forgiveness:

Who was the highest goal scorer prior to that 2013 Afcon tournament?

IKECHUKWU UCHE. Gbam! EOD.
So if Victor moses gets injured and misses the world cup and we go ahead to win the world cup then he helped us win the cup?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
Rohr’s Scout Agali Hints – Bologna Forward Orji Could Take Kayode Eagles Spot

Red hot Bologna forward Orji Okonkwo could be in line for a first time call up according to the head scout of the Super Eagles Victor Agali during a radio interview monitored by Owngoalnigeria.com in Lagos.
Okonkwo has scored three goals in the Serie A from seven substitute appearance for Bologna, and Agali confirmed he is no doubt in the picture of the Super Eagles ahead of the World Cup in Russia.

” Every player doing well will be called up when the team resume preparations for the World Cup next year, just as some players not doing well for their club could lose their spot”, Agali said.
Although he didn’t mention the names of players who are on the brink of losing their national team spot, he however failed to provide any assurances that on loan Manchester City forward Olarewaju Kayode will be given a look in.

Kayode has struggled for game time at Girona since joining them on loan from Manchester City, and the forward who is presently out injured has also not made good use of the chances he has been given by coach of the Nigeria national team Gernot Rohr.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2017
No sir, Musa wasn't "removed", he resigned. Those are two different things.

Thank me later grin

O pari

Kog45:
Gok man good you said culture which mean we have imbibed it but not written rules.

The captain of a team can only be decided by a coach, comes tomorrow if Rohr said Mikel is no longer the captain that's it.Remember old Musa was removed as vice captain for younger Onazi,mind you Echiejele is still in the team

When Rohr was appointed the first thing he said was Mikel remain my captain just to set the record straight that am not ready to appoint another captain.

Let's go down to memory lane a bit on eagles captain,hope you still remember afcon 1984 Muda Lawal was the oldest with 4 afcon appearance but young Keshi was the captain.

Paul Hamilton made Andrew Uwe his captain at the despite having older players like Peter Rufai, Henry Nwosu,Ademola Adeshina even when Keshi came back fully during afcon and Olympics qualifiers in 1987,Andrew Uwe was still the captain

Hope you remember how Alloy Agu captain the team during early Westerhoff era with the presence of Ademola Adeshina,Andrew Uwe,Rasheed Yekini.

There was never a time Enyeama captain Eagles with the presence of Joseph Yobo in camp.Enyeama only captain the team on the field if Yobo find himself on the bench and this happened at Afcon 2013,this made Enyeama to handover captain band to him in the final to collect the cup.

The same scenario played itself at Tunisia 94 when Austin Eguavoen handed over captain band to Keshi after final game to collect the cup.

Remember Sunday Olishe was made the captain at the expense of older Finidi George 2000-2002 and no issue on it.

It was only Chuckwu(1980)Keshi(1990-1994)Austin Okocha(2002-2006)Kanu (2006-2010)Yobo(2010-2014)Enyeama (2014-2016)now Mikel, these are the beneficiaries of oldest being the captain.

My man it all depends on coaches decision cos a lot of things are put into consideration before a captain of the team is chosen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
Yes, I have watched Orji played once. He seems like the real deal. I will definitely support his invite - 100%.

He might be the target man we've been looking for.

O pari

mazimee:

Red hot Bologna forward Orji Okonkwo could be in line for a first time call up according to the head scout of the Super Eagles Victor Agali during a radio interview monitored by Owngoalnigeria.com in Lagos.
Okonkwo has scored three goals in the Serie A from seven substitute appearance for Bologna, and Agali confirmed he is no doubt in the picture of the Super Eagles ahead of the World Cup in Russia.

” Every player doing well will be called up when the team resume preparations for the World Cup next year, just as some players not doing well for their club could lose their spot”, Agali said.
Although he didn’t mention the names of players who are on the brink of losing their national team spot, he however failed to provide any assurances that on loan Manchester City forward Olarewaju Kayode will be given a look in.

Kayode has struggled for game time at Girona since joining them on loan from Manchester City, and the forward who is presently out injured has also not made good use of the chances he has been given by coach of the Nigeria national team Gernot Rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:58pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon79:
Yes, I have watched Orji played once. He seems like the real deal. I will definitely support his invite - 100%.

O pari

I don't really know him or his style of play, all want is a team with red hot players. A team the reserve and subtitutes would be as dangerous as the first eleven.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:18pm On Dec 06, 2017
Yea, I need to watch him more but, based on my first impressions, I think he'll fit the bill. He's fast and pretty strong on the ball. And he exhibits that predatory tendencies.

O pari

mazimee:

I don't really know him or his style of play, all want is a team with red hot players. A team the reserve and subtitutes would be as dangerous as the first eleven.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:23pm On Dec 06, 2017
komekn:

Consider how you are thinking and rationalising motivation and determination.

Using your sense of reasoning that means Ronaldo, Messi and Danny Alves after achieving everything they are no longer motivated for excellence.

Furthermore that the main determinant of hunger motivation and desire to win is being young. That's waste basket reasoning. Isaac Success had a little money and what happened to his desire to win and succeed

Those are nonsensical propositions with no substance what so ever.

your comparison has no basis, most african players are generally known not to be hungry for success for their national teams after making fame and money. case in point, the average Cameroonian still feels samuel eto after all his huge success at club level never contributed much to the national team. With all the fame abaumeyang[sorry for my spelling error], what has he offered the Gabonese national team? Even the great drogba under performed for ivory coast and never won any trophy for them so what are you saying?

Comparing martins to messi and ronaldo. Jesus Christ! Now this ain't funny any more. You talking academically and not reality bruv

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:25pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

For the 2018 WC, the bolded is not likely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:32pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon4s:

So are we saying that if Ogbeche makes the team he becomes the captain?

that is why he can't be invited o, cos he can't take instruction from those junior to him. Let's stop all these theories for Christ sake, seniority is a big issue in Africa and remember that the level of academic education of some of our players are low so there are issues. dem no be oyinbo at all that can call their papa by name. Let's be frank o!

Remember the crisis in the Ghanaian team many years ago due to the superiority contest btw yeboah and abedi pele! somethings are better avoided to keep your team intact. These players are not angels as we think sometimes

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:34pm On Dec 06, 2017
mazimee:

Agali watch your head o. Some people will throw accusations at you from here o grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:36pm On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

Martins got issues with Eguavoen for failing to turn up for a particular tie if I remember well. Truth is the coaches and the nff still knows this players more than us on this forum, the fact that we hardly hear in in the media does not mean stuff don't happen in the team off the pitch even wikipedia has it on record where martins failed to turn up for some matches despite being invited. Some off the pitch issues in the past with nff officials especially in a match against Namibia if I remember is one major reason no nff official will want Enyeama near the eagles ahain and even enyeama himself knows this.

I still insist that any player older than mikel both in age, in long serving in the national team and not part of the wcq should be left out for now.
This is a serious matter ooo because one bad egg is all it takes to spoil so much good work. Aimee Jacquet dropped the excellent Ginola and superb Cantona and built his WC winning team around a young Zidane. We all remember the problems Anelka caused Dominech and Balotelli fighting with Mancini. This is a strong point oo. Being a good footballer is not enough.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:37pm On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

that is why he can't be invited o, cos he can't take instruction from those junior to him. Let's stop all these theories for Christ sake, seniority is a big issue in Africa and remember that the level of academic education of some of our players are low so there are issues. dem no be oyinbo at all that can call their papa by name. Let's be frank o!

Remember the crisis in the Ghanaian team many years ago due to the superiority contest btw yeboah and abedi pele! somethings are better avoided to keep your team intact. These players are not angels as we think sometimes

Bro, this one is as clear as day and night. Ogbeche CANNOT become the Eagles captain if he returns. No controversy about this.

And captaincy is not just about giving instructions to the other players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:40pm On Dec 06, 2017
junnyjake:

If it's Martins forget it. He's a very social guy, he'd get along with the team just fine if he's invited. He's a player I personally like, but I think his days with the SE are over.

many are scared he'd perform better than the players we have on ground, but I'm not. I'm almost sure these guys would give him a run for his money.
Anyone who thinks like the bolded na wa be that. But then I don't see the grounds for such apprehension. There's a vacant slot for a CF. Nwakaeme is the one I feel would likely lose his place not Iheanacho or Ighalo if they are fit and in form.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:41pm On Dec 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

This is a serious matter ooo because one bad egg is all it takes to spoil so much good work. Aimee Jacquet dropped the excellent Ginola and superb Cantona and built his WC winning team around a young Zidane. We all remember the problems Anelka caused Dominech and Balotelli fighting with Mancini. This is a strong point oo. Being a good footballer is not enough.

these players have got issues, not all coaches can cope with their idiosyncrasies so prevention is better than cure, case in point conte felt he had enough of costa so he let him go simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:42pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon4s:

Bro, this one is as clear as day and night. Ogbeche CANNOT become the Eagles captain if he returns. No controversy about this.

And captaincy is not just about giving instructions to the other players.

ok i hear, but we don't want older players than mikel in this team, enough said.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2017
True, considering that he's only 19. But his football IQ betrays his age tho.

All in all, the future is bright for naija footie, especially if we can retain Rohr and the NFF keeps its house in order.

O pari

Icon4s:

For the 2018 WC, the bolded is not likely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:49pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon79:

All in all, the future is bright for naija footie, especially if we can retain Rohr and the NFF keeps its house in order.

O pari

Yeah true.

This boy is coming up fast. Iheanacho and Kayode should watch their backs.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2017
edi287:

If they don't accept Mikel as captain, then they shouldn't be invited. I also appreciate the importance of good team spirit
Accepting it not just because they want to go to the WC but from their hearts. This WC is a huge matter ooo. The appeal is so strong. I don't think any other WC has been so involving than this one thanks to social media. Make nobody come pour sand sand for Africa Garri.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2017
Goke7:

oh sorry I don't know that this was a bone of contention, I simply mean a player who came into the Eagles fold earlier, looks like both martins and mikel came in same time if I remember right? so based on that can we say who is actually more senior?
Martins came in 2004, scored twice on his debut against lreland, and followed up with another brace against Rwanda in the WCQ opener.
Mickel came in 2005/2006.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

I just checked out the few times he played as a late subtitute, his rating was cool,also his goals came from those late subtitutes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:59pm On Dec 06, 2017
mazimee:
ADO Den Haag Worried Over Ebuehi's Situation : He Became A Nigeria Intl At This Club
Published: December 06, 2017
Dutch Eredivisie outfit ADO Den Haag are frustrated that Nigeria right-back Tyronne Ebuehi has yet to put pen to paper on a new deal, six months before the start of the 2018 World Cup.
The Super Eagle can depart The Hague as a free agent in the next six months without the club recouping their previous investment on the player if he doesn't ink a new contract.
''We have been talking to him and his agent from August,'' says football manager Jeffrey van As to Voetbal International .
"It is not easy, he has to choose whether he wants to develop further at ADO, or whether he prefers to go to a bigger Dutch club or abroad.
''He has become an international at this club, enjoys the trust and can also take steps here. It's up to him.''
Ebuehi, 21, joined ADO Den Haag in 2013 after stops at SV Hoofddorp, VV Young Boys and HFC EDO.
Igho Kingsley
Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha. Ebuehi eye don open Nigeria don open him eye to the sweetness of big game.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

Anyone who gains like this na wa be that. But then I don't see the grounds for such apprehension. There's a vacant slot for a CF. Nwakaeme is the one I feel would likely lose his place not Iheanacho or Ighalo if they are fit and in form.

Nwakaeme is another below average that should be thrown out through the window. His expliots in Israeli League earned him an invite only to mess up when he was supposed to deliver. The Dude scored goals in his League like Martins cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha. Ebuehi eye don open Nigeria don open him eye to the sweetness of big game.

I hope he makes a wise decision by staying, he will have a better playing time there now. He can move after the world cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:05pm On Dec 06, 2017
Icon79:
No sir, Musa wasn't "removed", he resigned. Those are two different things.

Thank me later grin

O pari

OK why did he resigned or what led to his resignation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2017
Daejoyoung:

Martins came in 2004, scored twice on his debut against lreland, and followed up with another brace against Rwanda in the WCQ opener.
Mickel came in 2005/2006.
Yes you are right Mikel had his debut against Libya 2005.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:14pm On Dec 06, 2017
Martins Obefemi played 2 matches out of 8 matches. He was part of the team that qualified us for the 2018 wc in Russia live and direct.

Fifa will even pay Martins for doing a good job. E pain am. He wan cry. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:16pm On Dec 06, 2017
mazimee:

Why are you guys always targeting forgiveness for God sake cos i don't see where Agali mentioned Kayode.

Pls the headline was misleading and not good for our discussion here and don't be surprised if you see Nwakaeme dropped for Orji.

My man anything can happened when it comes to player invitations or was it not the same Agali that said no more invitation for new players.

Pls always put the source

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:17pm On Dec 06, 2017
Kog45:
Kai u like wahala which clarification,so you don't know we have PRO and ANTI here,nothing you can say that w convince the moniker.It's war for past three days now Pro Iheanacho vs Pro Martins.

Do not worry Rohr will settled the matter soon,if martins made the team expect some to pray for Naija downfall and some to pray for goal drought for Iheanacho.

At the end of the day who to blame or who would carry the burdens,we fans,players after matches you see them in the night club chilling off but here we continue to deliberate on what went wrong,funny enough Martins and Iheanacho will be chilling together in far away Dubai on yacht.

Only God w save Nigeria fans of emotions, sentiments, tribal affiliations,Foreign born,these reign supremely in our comments that a lot have forgotten objectivities in their analysis.

Honestly i tire for unna.
It's a very sterile argument, this issue of Martins. Bottom line is the coach will invite who he will invite. Chikena
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 4:26pm On Dec 06, 2017
Kog45:
Why are you guys always targeting forgiveness for God sake cos i don't see where Agali mentioned Kayode.

Pls the headline was misleading and not good for our discussion here and don't be surprised if you see Nwakaeme dropped for Orji.

My man anything can happened when it comes to player invitations or was it not the same Agali that said no more invitation for new players.

Who is Nwakaeme That one that is occupying space ? Believe me, if it left for me to decide, that guy's picture where he was celebrating with Iwobi, I Ndidi and co after our qualification should deleted from the rest of the team celebrating.

That guy have no value in the team, all I want is performing young talents.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2294) (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) (2300) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Canada2021 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.