Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,371 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11787264 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36pm On Nov 01, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Bia Sir Goodjoe.... I bin no wan talk for the aluko matter but the "bolded" got to me strongly... So Iwobi no sabi wetin u describe ba?? Chaiii... I mean.. Haaaa!!!!

**picks up phone, "Yes, Yara Yara.... Plss tell the staff to get the surgical room ready at MD neuro center... We have a lobotomy booking... Yes thanks. Tell Dr. Keith I'll be right with him our patient... He will perform the procedure..."

*ends call... And drops phone*

TheGoodJoe.... TheGoodJoe!!! TheGoodJoe!!!!!!!!

I just dey look you.......

[img]http://media./media/8jpuW0qOBMSpa/giphy-facebook_s.jpg[/img]

Iwobi does not need to attract players to cause havoc. He can thread a pass of the ball through the eye of a needle and the forward will get it.

Aluko most times takes on players and these frees Space.. Both good players but if Aluko is in the squad, to me he takes the ten role. Mikel deep-lying. And others can feel the rest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
forgiveness:

When and how did Alaba turn down playing for Nigeria?

Sorry. Not waiting for Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40pm On Nov 01, 2016
Icon4s:

undecided

Yes I will. I take skillers first for my ten role. Iwobi can play from the side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:42pm On Nov 01, 2016
forgiveness:

I am not saying that he should not be given the chance but he must earn it.

He needs to be consistent with his games to attract invitation to a friendly match.

How many are more consistent than Aluko? He is playing well and just made the EFL team of the week for the second time this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:46pm On Nov 01, 2016
Uhmmm.... Iwobi can take on players too.... You know how he waltzed through those 5-6 Swansea players in Arsenal's 3-2 win??

Anyway.... E don do... On this Aluko matter eh... (Note: I rate Aluko high ooo.. Followed him since 2008 even before he played 2009 fifa u-20 world cup... He's very good).

Buuuuttttt.... On this aluko matter eh... As you dey carry am for head soo... Hmmm.... Make I park..... For now, on this "matter" I just dey look you

P.S: No harm in inviting him shaa.... Aluko is still relevant.

TheGoodJoe:

Iwobi does not need to attract players to cause havoc. He can thread a pass of the ball through the eye of a needle and the forward will get it.

Aluko most times takes on players and these frees Space.. Both good players but if Aluko is in the squad, to me he takes the ten role. Mikel deep-lying. Any others can feel the rest.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:46pm On Nov 01, 2016
While some are using us to play Ludo. This was an interview with Otigba last year.

My heart beats for Nigeria - Otigba
by Calvin Emeka Onwuka 24 March 2015, 09:47

Kenneth Otigba declared his wish to play for Nigeria despite playing for Hungary at youth level and he exclusively tells supersport.com why his heart beats for Nigeria as Calvin Emeka Onwuka caught up with him in Heerenveen, Holland.

Last year, as the Nigerian Super Eagles prepared for the world cup in Brazil l or actually just after the qualification was ensured I was at a press conference where a few names were reeled out to coach Stephen Keshi and asked if these players could break into his squad for Brazil. Amongst those names were Leon Balogun then of Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany and Kenneth Otigba at Heerenveen in Holland. Balogun did eventually get a call up but injury denied him a place in the final squad for South America.

Otigba on the other hand remained elusive and had even played for Hungary at various youth levels many attempts by this reporter to get an interview never yielded results. So most surprising, last week I got text from Otigba asking that I ring him when I could. I did and we set up a meeting at his club in Heerenveen 2 hours outside Amsterdam by train.

We met just after training exchanged greetings but he had to have lunch with the rest of the team while I got myself comfortable. He looked a proper centre-back in his very imposing physique but a boyish smile that was quite welcoming. <\p>

Otigba was born in Kaduna, northern Nigeria to Clara and Patrick

"my mum had lived in Nigeria for 17 years before I was born but when I was about 4 and half years she took me to Hungary as she was leaving Nigeria" He informed on his return as we sat down for the interview. So when did he know he will be a professional footballer I asked Otigba. "From when I was around 7 years old I was only after football; I was always playing football and when not playing I will be watching. One day I said to my mother that I have to be a professional footballer, that my dream is to have that career"<\p>

To be able to make this career would require a lot of sacrifice so at the age of 14 Otigba left Hungary for Holland to join Heerenveen snubbing Liverpool in the process. Liverpool?

"Yes, I was at the club for two weeks during Rafa Benitez reign as manager, then also another two weeks at Heerenveen at the end I had a choice to make between both clubs. My agent and I spoke and we decided that I will progress more as a footballer playing in Holland. It was not even a hard decision and one I have never regretted". He says this with that comfortable smile and twinkle in his eyes to confirm that he means it.

How did you cope leaving the comfort of your mum's protection and cooking at such a young age "it was very difficult. I was home sick a lot and I missed my mum and my friends and also I had to start learning a new language. It helped that I still spoke english and quite a lot of people spoke the language too but I still called home a lot. Living alone that first year was difficult but after I learnt the language things got better and better"

It takes determination and a fierce will to succeed to get young boys to get through those first few years away from and make a success of their careers.

"As soon as I arrived at Heerenveen I was prepared to succeed. My agent - who is like a big brother to me - assured me that as long I am able to get through those hard few months I will be fine. It also panned out that way".

What was very clear as I interacted with Otigba was that he was clearly unaware of the clamour for him to play for Nigeria. Would he like to play for Nigeria I asked him. He laughed very loud and had the look of "what a stupid question" on his face.

"In my career I always have goals that I set myself: I planned to play in the Heerenveen first team, I hope to play in the English Premier League one day and I will do anything to wear even for one match the green jersey of the Super Eagles". He says these with such determination, such sincerity that I asked but you played for the age group teams of Hungary? "Yes but at that time it was just about playing a different level of football"

Otigba had to make this decision now and make it quickly.

"I got a letter of invitation for a full cap for Hungary but I knew within my heart that I was not going to be happy playing for Hungary. I spoke to my mum, my other family members and my agent about this. All of them told me to follow my heart. My heart is for the Super Eagles of Nigeria".

Last year, Otigba's team mate then Uche Nwofor played for Nigeria and was even at the World Cup so why did he not drag you along "he used to tell me a lot about the fun of playing for Nigeria and how great it will be if I came along but as a young player in the Super Eagles he could not influence anything".

Otigba recaps the feelings of seeing his team mate against Argentina at the World Cup "I was so excited watching John playing against Argentina. It was like wow there is my team mate out there. It was great. When he got back after the tournament he gave me Super Eagles kit which I wore and still wear now"

Some Hungarians will not like this I put it to him. "Frankly those who don't like it I understand. I also know they are not important to me. Those people important to me have advised me to follow my heart and am fine with that"

Otigba names Man City of England skipper Vincent Kompany as his hero "I love watching Kompany. He is a determined defender and seems to enjoy defending so I watch him a lot. He wins his personal duels, gets the ball and then releases it to the midfielders to make the play. Those are the things I like to do".

When he was younger though his hero used to be Arsenal skipper and legend Patrick Vieira. "In the youth teams I was a defensive midfielder and modelled my game along the lines of Vieira. Later my coaches here at Heerenveen decided I was better as a centre-back and I just refocused my game to the position.

Otigba remembers his debut for Heerenveen as a 20 year old against Utrecht and remembers coming on as a sub, made a mistake that led to the concession of a goal.

"I learnt a lot that day. My coach taught me that in the first team, physicality was not as important as using your brain and thinking ahead of the striker. They helped me dwell on that mistake and I have learnt from it". He has come a long way from that day and is one of the rocks in the team's defence. They rate him so highly that while we were getting ready for the interview at the club someone asked him if he was signing for Barcelona. "My relationship with the club is very good and we agreed that should I get a better offer to move they will not stop me at all. I love it here at Heerenveen, playing football and love the city".

He is a very confident young man is Kenneth Otigba. He has been tutored in that way the Dutch seem very good at with young players. He is also a player with a vision of what he wants for his career. It will not surprise to see him playing for Nigeria and playing in the English Premier League.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150324/My_heart_beats_for_NigeriaOtigba

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:48pm On Nov 01, 2016
Daninya11:

At left back it will be Echiejele ahead of Madu Kingsley as the latter most times forget his defensive duties.

LOLS. I had to read twice because I believe Echiejile's biggest challenge is forgetting his defensive duties.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:50pm On Nov 01, 2016
I think it's time we storm the media airways with "Invite Otigba" online placards......

OTIGBA DESERVES HIS SUPER EAGLES CHANCE

Hope it comes in the first International break of 2017 slated for march.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2016
tbaba1234:
While some are using us to play Ludo. This was an interview with Otigba last year.

My heart beats for Nigeria - Otigba
by Calvin Emeka Onwuka 24 March 2015, 09:47

Kenneth Otigba declared his wish to play for Nigeria despite playing for Hungary at youth level and he exclusively tells supersport.com why his heart beats for Nigeria as Calvin Emeka Onwuka caught up with him in Heerenveen, Holland.

Last year, as the Nigerian Super Eagles prepared for the world cup in Brazil l or actually just after the qualification was ensured I was at a press conference where a few names were reeled out to coach Stephen Keshi and asked if these players could break into his squad for Brazil. Amongst those names were Leon Balogun then of Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany and Kenneth Otigba at Heerenveen in Holland. Balogun did eventually get a call up but injury denied him a place in the final squad for South America.

Otigba on the other hand remained elusive and had even played for Hungary at various youth levels many attempts by this reporter to get an interview never yielded results. So most surprising, last week I got text from Otigba asking that I ring him when I could. I did and we set up a meeting at his club in Heerenveen 2 hours outside Amsterdam by train.

We met just after training exchanged greetings but he had to have lunch with the rest of the team while I got myself comfortable. He looked a proper centre-back in his very imposing physique but a boyish smile that was quite welcoming. <\p>

Otigba was born in Kaduna, northern Nigeria to Clara and Patrick

"my mum had lived in Nigeria for 17 years before I was born but when I was about 4 and half years she took me to Hungary as she was leaving Nigeria" He informed on his return as we sat down for the interview. So when did he know he will be a professional footballer I asked Otigba. "From when I was around 7 years old I was only after football; I was always playing football and when not playing I will be watching. One day I said to my mother that I have to be a professional footballer, that my dream is to have that career"<\p>

To be able to make this career would require a lot of sacrifice so at the age of 14 Otigba left Hungary for Holland to join Heerenveen snubbing Liverpool in the process. Liverpool?

"Yes, I was at the club for two weeks during Rafa Benitez reign as manager, then also another two weeks at Heerenveen at the end I had a choice to make between both clubs. My agent and I spoke and we decided that I will progress more as a footballer playing in Holland. It was not even a hard decision and one I have never regretted". He says this with that comfortable smile and twinkle in his eyes to confirm that he means it.

How did you cope leaving the comfort of your mum's protection and cooking at such a young age "it was very difficult. I was home sick a lot and I missed my mum and my friends and also I had to start learning a new language. It helped that I still spoke english and quite a lot of people spoke the language too but I still called home a lot. Living alone that first year was difficult but after I learnt the language things got better and better"

It takes determination and a fierce will to succeed to get young boys to get through those first few years away from and make a success of their careers.

"As soon as I arrived at Heerenveen I was prepared to succeed. My agent - who is like a big brother to me - assured me that as long I am able to get through those hard few months I will be fine. It also panned out that way".

What was very clear as I interacted with Otigba was that he was clearly unaware of the clamour for him to play for Nigeria. Would he like to play for Nigeria I asked him. He laughed very loud and had the look of "what a stupid question" on his face.

"In my career I always have goals that I set myself: I planned to play in the Heerenveen first team, I hope to play in the English Premier League one day and I will do anything to wear even for one match the green jersey of the Super Eagles". He says these with such determination, such sincerity that I asked but you played for the age group teams of Hungary? "Yes but at that time it was just about playing a different level of football"

Otigba had to make this decision now and make it quickly.

"I got a letter of invitation for a full cap for Hungary but I knew within my heart that I was not going to be happy playing for Hungary. I spoke to my mum, my other family members and my agent about this. All of them told me to follow my heart. My heart is for the Super Eagles of Nigeria".

Last year, Otigba's team mate then Uche Nwofor played for Nigeria and was even at the World Cup so why did he not drag you along "he used to tell me a lot about the fun of playing for Nigeria and how great it will be if I came along but as a young player in the Super Eagles he could not influence anything".

Otigba recaps the feelings of seeing his team mate against Argentina at the World Cup "I was so excited watching John playing against Argentina. It was like wow there is my team mate out there. It was great. When he got back after the tournament he gave me Super Eagles kit which I wore and still wear now"

Some Hungarians will not like this I put it to him. "Frankly those who don't like it I understand. I also know they are not important to me. Those people important to me have advised me to follow my heart and am fine with that"

Otigba names Man City of England skipper Vincent Kompany as his hero "I love watching Kompany. He is a determined defender and seems to enjoy defending so I watch him a lot. He wins his personal duels, gets the ball and then releases it to the midfielders to make the play. Those are the things I like to do".

When he was younger though his hero used to be Arsenal skipper and legend Patrick Vieira. "In the youth teams I was a defensive midfielder and modelled my game along the lines of Vieira. Later my coaches here at Heerenveen decided I was better as a centre-back and I just refocused my game to the position.

Otigba remembers his debut for Heerenveen as a 20 year old against Utrecht and remembers coming on as a sub, made a mistake that led to the concession of a goal.

"I learnt a lot that day. My coach taught me that in the first team, physicality was not as important as using your brain and thinking ahead of the striker. They helped me dwell on that mistake and I have learnt from it". He has come a long way from that day and is one of the rocks in the team's defence. They rate him so highly that while we were getting ready for the interview at the club someone asked him if he was signing for Barcelona. "My relationship with the club is very good and we agreed that should I get a better offer to move they will not stop me at all. I love it here at Heerenveen, playing football and love the city".

He is a very confident young man is Kenneth Otigba. He has been tutored in that way the Dutch seem very good at with young players. He is also a player with a vision of what he wants for his career. It will not surprise to see him playing for Nigeria and playing in the English Premier League.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150324/My_heart_beats_for_NigeriaOtigba

Thanks. Brilliant piece. The article tells a lot. Especially that Otigba is a ball playing defender. Just the way Rohr likes it. He deserves a call-up and his loyalty is there for all to see.

#CallUpOtigba

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:01am On Nov 02, 2016
Otigba marshals my Dream league soccer 2016 team's defence... He's my first choice. smiley

I for add Balogun but bundesliga players aren't really in Dream league, only selected ones.

All I am saying is, Otigba is the final jigsaw in our central defence quality options. He's a class-act.

OTIGBA FOR MARCH 2017 INTERNATIONAL BREAK---- Super Eagles invitation

E don tey naaa.... Haba!

TheGoodJoe:

Thanks. Brilliant piece. The article tells a lot. Especially that Otigba is a ball playing defender. Just the way Rohr likes it. He deserves a call-up and his loyalty is there for all to see.

#CallUpOtigba

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 12:15am On Nov 02, 2016
Breaking News : Adam Ounas out of Nigeria Clash
The FAF site just announce that Bordeaux youngster,Adam Ounas won't be available for Algeria National team for the clash with Nigeria due to injury.
Having received the player's medical records, everything seems to indicate that the players will be unavailable for few weeks. Thus, the medical staffs of the Club would take no risk and to provide the player for national Assiignment.
The name of the player to replace him has not been mentioned by the national football body.
http://nigfooty..co.ke/2016/11/breaking-news-adam-ounas-out-of-nigeria.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Granada Coach Tips Watford Loanee Uche
Agbo To Shine Against Algeria, Reveals His True Position

The fine performance of Nigerian midfielder cum defender Uche Agbo in Granada’s 0-1 loss against Barcelona has earned him praises from his coach Lucas Alcaraz.

Agbo is among the players invited by coach of
Nigeria Gernot Rohr for the World Cup 2018
qualifiers against Algeria in Uyo on the 12th of
November. A tie Nigeria is looking for victory to
consolidate their lead in group B.

The former Nigeria youth international is on loan to Granada from English Premier League side Watford, and despite playing as a defensive
midfielder for the majority of his career. He was
converted to central defense by former Granada’s coach Paco Jemez at the start of the season.

”He is not a defensive midfielder, although it is
his position, he likes to be on the ball and dictate the pace. He leaves me very happy when he plays in central defense” Alcaraz said.

”Uche is a centre back who loves to play from
the back and make use of the space in front of
him, with the ball at his feet, he always make the right decision."

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/01/granada-coach-tips-watford-loanee-uche-agbo-to-shine-against-algeria-reveals-his-true-position/

Na bench sure pass for this one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:58am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Otigba marshals my Dream league soccer 2016 team's defence... He's my first choice. smiley

I for add Balogun but bundesliga players aren't really in Dream league, only selected ones.

All I am saying is, Otigba is the final jigsaw in our central defence quality options. He's a class-act.

OTIGBA FOR MARCH 2017 INTERNATIONAL BREAK---- Super Eagles invitation

E don tey naaa.... Haba!

I am not against his invitation.But Is he better than the likes of Omeruo, Balogun and Ekong?

He may only just replace Agbo or Alimi on the squad list.

Lets see him in a friendly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 6:04am On Nov 02, 2016
Mickael2:
you mean about Brahimi's loss of form?
yeah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:15am On Nov 02, 2016
Icon4s:

I am not against his invitation.But Is he better than the likes of Omeruo, Balogun and Ekong?

He may only just replace Agbo or Alimi on the squad list.

Lets see him in a friendly.

He is certainly better than Agbo and Alimi.. He is as good as Omeruo, maybe even Ekong. Omeruo is just more experienced in international football. Omeruo team is struggling with relegation in Turkey, Otigba is doing better at the moment.

What makes Omeruo better? As per league football, they are comparable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:22am On Nov 02, 2016
tbaba1234:

He is certainly better than Agbo and Alimi.. He is as good as Omeruo, maybe even Ekong. Omeruo is just more experienced in international football. Omeruo team is struggling with relegation in Turkey, Otigba is doing better at the moment.

What makes Omeruo better? As per league football, they are comparable.

Omeruo is a more tested defender. U build a defence on trust.

For now Omeruo is ahead of Otigba.

Let us see him, Otigba, in an international friendly first before making any comparisons.

Besides the CB positions are one of the areas we have the least issues.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:31am On Nov 02, 2016
Icon4s:

Omeruo is a more tested defender. U build a defence on trust.

For now Omeruo is ahead of Otigba.

Let us see him, Otigba, in an international friendly first before making any comparisons.

Besides the CB positions are one of the areas we have the least issues.

Omeruo is only more tested on an international stage. Their club experiences are similar. There is nothing from club performances that will make me rate Omeruo higher. They are on the same level as per club level experience.

Otigba just needs the opportunity to gain international experience.

Otigba would add depth to the defence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:32am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Loolll... Ohhh but yes ofcos Sir Tbaba... smiley

I'm only being "bullish" and kinda cocky... wink

It is "absolute" sweet victory when you beat your opponents hands down with their full personnel just like how Barca went down to the Cityzens even with the deadliest attacking trio in full attendance, The "Mighty" MSN...

**runs into hiding before The Barca faithfuls come for my head.....*** grin

Joseph1013 must here this grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:36am On Nov 02, 2016
terzurum5:

Joseph1013 must here this grin

It was not a good night for me personally. Barca was well-beaten. This has to rank has the best City performance I have ever seen, particularly that second half. Barca was schooled like it was Ikorodu United. SMH
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:47am On Nov 02, 2016
I belive moves have been made to cap Otigba http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/36249520
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:57am On Nov 02, 2016
joseph1013:

It was not a good night for me personally. Barca was well-beaten. This has to rank has the best City performance I have ever seen, particularly that second half. Barca was schooled like it was Ikorodu United. SMH
From what I have noticed from Barca's pattern of play, if you want to beat them, just forget about their ball position.

Mark them tightly with pressure.
Dwell on their mistakes and punish them.

Was so pained about the first goal Mancity conceeded. It was purely a school boy difensive error.

Am a Chelsea fan though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:34am On Nov 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sorry. Not waiting for Nigeria.

Why wait for an unconcerned country?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:34am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Meanwhile.... I wanna point out that with what I saw from Aguero today added to all he's achieved and done so far..... I think it's settled smiley

SERGIO KUN AGUERO IS WORLD-CLASS INDEED.... You cannot be "just a good player" and produce this kind of performance against The world's most dreaded side, FC Barcelona.

Take it to the bank, to the moon, to The end of the milky way, to wherever..... He's world-class and there's nothing we or anyone can do about it.

Sir TheGoodJoe.... Well done to you and the Cityzens. What a masterclass..... Indeed our own Iheanacho will turn into a super allround attacking badass by the time Pep is done with him in such environment where he's constantly exposed to world class players and coaching and also refined for worldclass awesomeness. smiley

Pep came to City at the right time.... And Nigeria will be the better for it in the long run.

not taking anything away from City but Barca was missing her best CB and her best midfielder. It would have been an entirely different case if those two played. Iniesta would obviously control the midfield a lot better than Andre Gomes, and not only would Pique do a better job controlling the defence but he is also the defender who plays the ball out of the back for barca. And then Jordi Alba was out too, that's 3 first team players for an away tie, honestly I would have been disappointed if Barca won again and just like I envisaged, they lost.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:37am On Nov 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

How many are more consistent than Aluko? He is playing well and just made the EFL team of the week for the second time this season.

No wahala den. Make we drop Ideye, Ighalo or Iwobi for am, ba? grin

Na play I dey ooooooo!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:38am On Nov 02, 2016
Nooooo.... Take nothing away from that Barca goal. Yes, Man City made a mistake but that's exactly what THE DREADED MSN punishes so very well.

THAT BARCA GOAL WAS ABSOLUTE AND CLASSIC COUNTER ATTACK..... Lawd!!!!!!!! I threw salute for that goal make I no lie..... but turned and told all who cared to listen that I had a "weird feeling"....

.....That Barca will be beaten in England by City because I saw reasons for that from the first leg where City created good chances but needed to be a little more direct in their play and pressing against the world's best side and also needed a "actual" pointman in Aguero and not the KDB they played in camp nou.

(I saw this happening long before evening came... I told a lot of people who love to go bet coz I don't bet and they didn't believe it. I told them it will be a goal-goal game and Man City will win... They thought I was stupid). Loolll

What a night!!! And indeed what a week.... Loollll and hey the Arsenal fans in the house, shout out to una too ooo.... Your player, Mesut "The wizard of Oz" Ozil produced the UCL goal of the week in my books..... grin

terzurum5:

From what I have noticed from Barca's pattern of play, if you want to beat them, just forget about their ball position.

Was so pained about the first goal Mancity conceeded. It was purely a school boy difensive error.

Am a Chelsea fan though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 02, 2016
Mickael2:

not taking anything away from City but Barca was missing her best CB and her best midfielder. It would have been an entirely different case if those two played. Iniesta would obviously control the midfield a lot better than Andre Gomes, and not only would Pique do a better job controlling the defence but he is also the defender who plays the ball out of the back for barca. And then Jordi Alba was out too, that's 3 first team players for an away tie, honestly I would have been disappointed if Barca won again and just like I envisaged, they lost.
werent aguero and de bruyne missing in our first leg? coupled with a red card...?

bro ain't no excuse for failure

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:44am On Nov 02, 2016
terzurum5:

Am a Chelsea fan though.

its not as if City didn't do thesame thing in the first leg, there were just 3 differences... Iniesta, Pique and Alba.

I don't need to tell you that Iniesta is our midfield right? If he had started that match, we would have easily controlled the game or atleast play solely on the counter, he was missed like badly.

Pique is the defence leader. Just like it would happen to any team, you are now left with 2 left-footed CBs and none of them is actually the ball playing type so the connection between defence and midfield was slow talkless of the connection between defence and attack and actually Barcelona bypasses the midfield in most of their goals, direct pass from Pique to Messi and he creates a goalscoring oppurtunity.

Alba is the width they have. Digne wasn't doing a fantastic job, coupled with the fact that he was on a yellow, not that I am looking for excuses but they ought to have lost that game, and it means nothing for them anyways, they have already won the group, they have better matches to prepare for against Sevilla

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:46am On Nov 02, 2016
But you're actually taking a lot from City by saying what you just said..... grin

City played without Kompany also. Without Bravo and even without "Energy man" Sagna.

No Clichy sef. Looollll

Bro... BARCA HAD THE DEADLIEST TRIO Possibly IN THE HISTORY OF SOCCER, The MSN present and super fit.... Give it to Man City joor.... smiley

Mickael2:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:46am On Nov 02, 2016
krattoss:
werent aguero and de bruyne missing in our first leg? coupled with a red card...?

bro ain't no excuse for failure

no bro, De Bruyne started and Aguero came in. The red card was what transpired inside the match, not an external factor, it was either a red card or you go down 2-0, entirely different
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:49am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
But you're actually taking a lot from City by saying what you just said..... grin

City played without Kompany also. Without Bravo and even without "Energy man" Sagna.

No Clichy sef. Looollll

Bro... BARCA HAD THE DEADLIEST TRIO Possibly IN THE HISTORY OF SOCCER, The MSN present and super fit.... Give it to Man City joor.... smiley

all these people you named aren't even part of their first team on a good day.

Zabeleta is their captain don't forget that, I can't remember the games he has missed when he is fit.

Kolarov has been starting many of their matches albeit as part of a 3-man defence but still.

When was the last time Kompany started a match? These 3 persons are not integral parts of their team, if they were missing De Bruyne and Silva and Fernandinho then you can compare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:51am On Nov 02, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

No Clichy sef. Looollll

so the deadliest trio will take the ball from defence to attack and then score too and also come and defend their post? They scored the first goal and should have scored 2 more atleast then that lack of control in midfield led to the second one and the third. With Iniesta in the game, that 3rd goal would not have happened, Messi is hardly the last man in midfield before Busquets, but in that sequence of play, Rafinha moved into the box leaving Messi exposed and we all know that Messi plays a high risk football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:54am On Nov 02, 2016
I saw this response coming and I have made up my mind not to turn this thread into a barca vs mancity UCL debate..... **You ignored Bravo ba? And u forget Sagna on his day benches Zabaleta? U forget Kompany is their actual captain?**

Anyway, let's just leave it as it is...... Barca lost and lost well. Man City have announced themselves on the european stage. Just give it to them.

This is the Super Eagles thread biko... No turn am to Barca vs man city "U won/lost because of this and this" debate.
Mickael2:

all these people you named aren't even part of their first team on a good day.

Zabeleta is their captain don't forget that, I can't remember the games he has missed when he is fit.

Kolarov has been starting many of their matches albeit as part of a 3-man defence but still.

When was the last time Kompany started a match? These 3 persons are not integral parts of their team, if they were missing De Bruyne and Silva and Fernandinho then you can compare

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.