Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,686 members, 7,851,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:46 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2439) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11871711 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2436) (2437) (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:24am On Dec 25, 2017
safarigirl:
you cannot try a player that the coach does not invite.

As it stands, Joel Obi is not high on Rohr's wish list and like I said, any outside player that doesn't make it into the list for March might as well bid his Russia experience goodbye, so it is not up to you or me to try any of these players.

If the coach sees something enough to invite them, fine, but it is one thing to be invited, another to be given an opportunity to play on game day and another to impress enough on game day to earn a spot in the 35-man list sef.

There are many hurdles to climb for these outside players, and Rohr no dey collect bribe anyhow.

I think you are right...wit the bolded...
let's keep out fingers crossed.

I remember how miserable our midfield was in the last world cup....that azeez could not line up one pass to his fellow players on the pitch.....against Iran...even as poor as mikel was that day...he yelled at him..for such abysmal display....
against France too.....Onazi injury caused a serious problem...to put team.....

just want a good bench to compliment the players on the pitch...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:25am On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Forget about time past.

We are talking of the present.

Are we presenting a team of time past or present in Russia?

You even said you have watched Sokari in time past. I may presume you are referring to the 2015 U20 WC and 2015 AAG.

Looking at the current crop of midfielders in the team, what can Sokari bring to the table that will be better than what the current crop can bring?
You cannot just conclude that Solari is better than Mikel Agu and Joel Obi when he, Sokari himself, is not tested at that level. The gulf in class between Joel Obi and Kingsley Sokari is just too much. If there is any other midfielder out there that deserves a call or recall ahead of Russia it is Joel Obi.

Kingsley Sokari is not a Super Eagles material. You can quote me any where.

I watched him in the CAF Confederation cup and he was pure gold. I think Joel Obi is a matter of fitness and it would be wise to have other options in case of incasity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:29am On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I doubt you know that Sokari and Agu do not play in same position. So why drop Agu for Sokari?

Cool, but did u know that Rohr is looking for a better backup to Mikel Obi? The few times Agu came on for Mikel, he was far from being impressive. In Sokari I guess we would have a better sub for Mikel.

Categorise Agu as a DM or CM, even there, he stand no chance because Ndidi, Onazi, Etebo, Ogu, Joel are all better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:30am On Dec 25, 2017
Humility017:

your mouth eeehh...
you make me laugh..it's like you wanna steer up another trouble.

I have problem wit ogu of being too slow and heavy and his passing skills don't really seems to amaze me.....

I need someone who can create chances from deep to compliment mikel....
he combines well with Ndidi and thwy shield the defense very well.

Sokari creating like Mikel is quite the expectation, I don't expect him to be any better than Iwobi to be honest.

I have never watched him, but I repeat, if he was that awesome, we should have been seeing more of him earlier
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:33am On Dec 25, 2017
safarigirl:

Sokari creating like Mikel is quite the expectation , I don't expect him to be any better than Iwobi to be honest.

I have never watched him, but I repeat, if he was that awesome, we should have been seeing more of him earlier

i pray he gets invited and let's see I he can deliver.....
iwobi in the AM role...I don't really fancy...mikel playing there is a plus being that he can offer well defensively too....reason why Joel obi or sokari is more handy....
anyway let's wait till March....Grace keep us till then.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:34am On Dec 25, 2017
COOL10:
. Don't be sad but happy for him. That time used in pitying him,use it to pray and believe he's healed already. This injury will make him come back stronger,better and more lethal to the extent that BARCA go wan buy am. That's what I believe and that's what will happen. U should believe that too.

Amen brother but at the same time knee injuries are no joke. Not everybody is lucky enough to bounce right back

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:11pm On Dec 25, 2017
sokari it's your time, after 2page we hear another player. at least we go rest small from the Martins crew.

someone even say people hate sokari because he bench nacho, chei this boy don suffer.
password; anyone that want to promote his player just need to mention iheancho

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2017
ChrisKels:

Cool, but did u know that Rohr is looking for a better backup to Mikel Obi? The few times Agu came on for Mikel, he was far from being impressive. In Sokari I guess we would have a better sub for Mikel.

Categorise Agu as a DM or CM, even there, he stand no chance because Ndidi, Onazi, Etebo, Ogu, Joel are all better

Agu did not come in as an AM for Mikel. It was not a like for like substitution but a tactical change that saw Agu sit deep as a CM/DM.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:17pm On Dec 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I watched him in the CAF Confederation cup and he was pure gold. I think Joel Obi is a matter of fitness and it would be wise to have other options in case of incasity.

Etebo, Onazi, Mikel, Iwobi. Pick one to drop for the pure gold Sokari.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:19pm On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Pure gold sokari grin grin,even a pirlo wasn't called a pure gold during his playing time.... Naija with over hyping
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 12:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
Humility017:

players only playing in a qualified nation league....
it for players plying their trade in domestic leagues of qualified nation.
like Nigeria....for instance can only invite players playing in Nigeria....other nigeria players in other national leagues..like Egypt, Tunisia etc are barred from particiapting
Thanks Man.

I asked because I was wondering if it's possible to extend invitation to our players like Akpeyi, Morouf, Sokari etc plying their trades across Africa just to have the opportunity to re-asses them...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:23pm On Dec 25, 2017
safarigirl:

Sokari creating like Mikel is quite the expectation, I don't expect him to be any better than Iwobi to be honest.

People forget that form is temporary but class is permanent. Sokari does not have that class to continue giving out performances.

Wait till a few months from now to see whether the fans will still be singing same song about him.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2017
elyte89:

Pure gold sokari grin grin,even a pirlo wasn't called a pure gold during his playing time.... Naija with over hyping

Pure Gold that didn't make the top 30 nominees for CAF APOTY for players based in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:44pm On Dec 25, 2017
Xmas i blame una. pure gold? for who? club or country?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:48pm On Dec 25, 2017
Humility017:

players only playing in a qualified nation league....
it for players plying their trade in domestic leagues of qualified nation.
like Nigeria....for instance can only invite players playing in Nigeria....other nigeria players in other national leagues..like Egypt, Tunisia etc are barred from particiapting

I still don't see the essence of this CHAN tournament.

An U21 tourney that would be played in summer would be more beneficial to the continent's upcoming talents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2017
even ogu if outside the 19 wil make d list of 4 b4 pure gold sokari. etebo sef. mention j obi wil b a big disrespect sef. tunis league over championship? pls im hungry for bias, turkey no do me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
AIG07:
the bolded sums up your post. Kayode a prospect? At what age pls?

I beseech you to take time to re-read my post and this time carefully if possible make use an eye glasses. Take note of the Capitulated words. Cos I no have strength for lengthy arguements.

Hmm, so you think he is no longer overhyped but a prospect. Hahahaha!

If Kayode whose harvest of goals that helped catapulted Maccabi to the Israeli top flight, and prompted the club doubled his salary is still prospect, if Kayode who became the third highest goal scorer in his first season in the Israeli top flight league and later went to became the third highest goal scorer in the Austrian league the next season, and if Kayode who in his second season became the top goal scorer and best player in the Austrian league is still a prospect to you, even after all these in a space of 4 seasons, then I know you have not critically analysed his career but have spoken as one of those Nigerians who are always carried away by the wind of sentiment or interested in other meaningless issues.

If Kayode is a prospect then what is Kelechi at 21 and Nwakaeme at 28? world class, ba? shocked

Well, it is your opinion and it remains so because Guardiola and Man city know better hence the reason they bought him and sent him to the best league in the world.

Abi, you just think they just wan spend money on a 24 years old player wey come over hyped join?

Hahaha! No be you wan see Nwakaeme who struggled for two good seasons before he found his foot to become the second highest goal scorer last season in the Israeli top flight league to be given a chance because you believe he is better than Kayode at 28 years old?

Oga! See what happened before Guardiola bought kayode.

A bold statement to make, however, sources close to the player’s camp told KweséESPN that Pep Guardiola watched films of the youngster for two months before making a decision on him. if true, that tells its own story, and a good one too.

Merry Christmas.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:54pm On Dec 25, 2017
grin grin Even Kingsley Sokari has joined the list of players we should call up for the world cup grin grin
I'm expecting to see more names sha... grin. It will be interesting....

The NFF should arrange two friendlies in March sha... So Rohr would get d chance to test more new players....

Merry Christmas super eagles fans!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2017
daveP:
even ogu if outside the 19 wil make d list of 4 b4 pure gold sokari. etebo sef. mention j obi wil b a big disrespect sef. tunis league over championship? pls im hungry for bias, turkey no do me.

"Pure Gold". A new nickname for Sokari. Hahahaha.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 12:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
zicky:
sokari it's your time, after 2page we hear another player. at least we go rest small from the Martins crew.

someone even say people hate sokari because he bench nacho, chei this boy don suffer.
password; anyone that want to promote his player just need to mention iheancho
How else would the thread be as long if random names are not called?

Someone even said Sokari is better than Joel. Another agreed with an emotional fan who said he is the best midfielder in leagues all over Africa.

It's his time. It will be up soon. Then may be Gbolahan Salami will take over.

Merry Christmas, people!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 1:02pm On Dec 25, 2017
Lol.. You people can misunderstand and misrepresent someone's stance on this thread sha grin

He said he watched a game and in that game Sokari was 'pure gold'

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:11pm On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Wat does that have to do with you claiming he is not good enough for the super eagles?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:16pm On Dec 25, 2017
AIG07:
Thanks Man.

I asked because I was wondering if it's possible to extend invitation to our players like Akpeyi, Morouf, Sokari etc plying their trades across Africa just to have the opportunity to re-asses them...
no....they're not eligible.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:18pm On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I see you have nowhere else to go with this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:19pm On Dec 25, 2017
There is simply no logical explanation in inviting Sokari before Joel Obi. He's a good player with decent vision and a good shot (at least from what I've seen on YouTube). However, I'll seriously question Rohr's scouting team if he's invited over Joel Obi or even Ajagun.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 1:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Amen brother but at the same time knee injuries are no joke. Not everybody is lucky enough to bounce right back
. He will,his career no fit die like that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

you taking this too far....
that's just a metaphor...not necessarily the way you see it.

I will want the boy invited and tried...likewise Joel obi and let's see what they all have to offer.....

you keep saying class is permanent....
class I can't relate to......I watched the last world cup.....all the class talk players could barely deliver...it was Babatunde that stole the show....

please oga icon...let' rohr pick the best for that remaining midfield slot....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:25pm On Dec 25, 2017
edi287:
There is simply no logical explanation in inviting Sokari before Joel Obi. He's a good player with decent vision and a good shot (at least from what I've seen on YouTube). However, I'll seriously question Rohr's scouting team if he's invited over Joel Obi or even Ajagun.

question what?
please you guys should let rohr do his job......I will want Joel obi to be tried too....
and let the best be picked...
I believe they're lot of players way better in football than Agu....
he has not been able to utilize his chances...let someone else come in.
even Alhassan won't be bad...but we need someone who can not only score when necessary but create chances as well...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:27pm On Dec 25, 2017
joseph1013:

How else would the thread be as long if random names are not called?

Someone even said Sokari is better than Joel. Another agreed with an emotional fan who said he is the best midfielder in leagues all over Africa.

It's his time. It will be up soon. Then may be Gbolahan Salami will take over.

Merry Christmas, people!

merry Xmas to you....

so you will want us go wit Agu instead of trying new legs to see if they can prove better...?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:34pm On Dec 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I still don't see the essence of this CHAN tournament.

An U21 tourney that would be played in summer would be more beneficial to the continent's upcoming talents.

playing in Chan shouldn't stop our football administrators from embarking on age grade tourney....just that the coaches have no plans likewise the nff....and when you've got no plans of this kind...you only plan to fail....
they've not started preparing for the qualifiers not until after the draws..
they will begin their fire brigade approach....

and for the CHAN team...may be we have not start reapinh the fruits of it success.....
I do believe we start eating from It's grapes when we start to get it right wit our league....
the mindset of our NPFL players need to be cleansed...as well....

the CHAN still remain one of their most saving route to Europe or any other top African league.....where the ambitous ones can choose to develop further and grow from there....though I have not seen any since CHAN inception the ejike and kolanut boy all wallowing in Africa leagues till date.....I believe they will come still...as we make progress.....

I am really concerned I wanna watch yusuf sanusi coaching prowess, ezenwa and ajiboye and if there be any outstanding player that could fetch Super eagles invitation prior the World cup....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:34pm On Dec 25, 2017
Humility017:

merry Xmas to you....

so you will want us go wit Agu instead of trying new legs to see if they can prove better...?
to be clear, we are looking for the best bench piece to take to the World Cup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:35pm On Dec 25, 2017
komekn:

Been watching him for over 6 years he's good but until he plays regularly for City or goes on loan he is essentially untested.

I rate him much lower than Iorfa.

I think Iorfa is more a RB than a CB though I saw him played in the CB position and I was impressed.

I just want us to have many options.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2436) (2437) (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, solonnachi, komekn(m), zicky(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.