Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,663 members, 7,851,258 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11870810 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2441) (2442) (2443) (2444) (2445) (2446) (2447) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
edi287:

Loool no mind some people...they're just pissed he did a bicycle kick in a friendly game and went on to flop at the world cup. You should see how much they hate him on Cybereagles grin grin
hahahahaha. personally, i still find it difficult to get over the total flop he was at the WC. even though the whole team posted below average performance his performance more than that of the others registered as a flop because of the high expectations the sangalo kick created in the fans. since then I have become wary of players who give bicycle kicks in pre-WC friendlies. in fact, if even Mikel Obi or Vicmo does a sangalo, alarm bells will ring in my head. that's how unforgettably traumatized ogbeche's flop made me be. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:26pm On Dec 25, 2017
Mujtahida:

hahahahaha. personally, i still find it difficult to get over the total flop he was at the WC. even though the whole team posted below average performance his performance more than that of the others registered as a flop because of the high expectations the sangalo kick created in the fans. since then I have become wary of players who give bicycle kicks in pre-WC friendlies.[/b] in fact, if even Mikel Obi or Vicmo does a sangalo, alarm bells will ring in my head. that's how unforgettably traumatized ogbeche's flop made me be[b]. grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:17am On Dec 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

hahahahaha. personally, i still find it difficult to get over the total flop he was at the WC. even though the whole team posted below average performance his performance more than that of the others registered as a flop because of the high expectations the sangalo kick created in the fans. since then I have become wary of players who give bicycle kicks in pre-WC friendlies. in fact, if even Mikel Obi or Vicmo does a sangalo, alarm bells will ring in my head. that's how unforgettably traumatized ogbeche's flop made me be. grin grin grin grin
abeg make ena leave the guy, he was playing for psg so he was worth the hype, my biggest annoying flop of that wc was opabunmi, youngest player my foot. the guy discover late that football was not his calling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:33am On Dec 26, 2017
hmmmmm
Opabunmi's career that was stalled because of his eyesight problems..
kwantinue..

Many of the players in that Oningbinde-led team performed badly.. But what did we really expect from a relatively newly assembled team?

zicky:
abeg make ena leave the guy, he was playing for psg so he was worth the hype, my biggest annoying flop of that wc was opabunmi, youngest player my foot. the guy discover late that football was not his calling

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:41am On Dec 26, 2017
Humility017:

what do you mean by the tested....?
you guys make me laugh....you all see the world cup as one Herculean task....different from the football they have all been playing...

if someone can play good football in the Spanish or German league...top flight...then certainly he can play @the world cup....

you don't need to bag so much experience to prove yourself......

you guys really need to re-evaluate this yardstick of experience...same experience cost us the France 1998 and I have seen young players play football at the world cup...wit no experience in their bag....

My brother, to win every game in the World Cup is an Herculean task.

It is no child's play. It is for the men and not for boys.
We learnt this bitterly from the 2002 WC when Onigbingbe packed boys to the world cup. They got overwhelmed by the intensity of the competition. Players like Ogbeche, Sodje and Opabunmi were only tested in friendlies. They never really played any competitive game before we faced Argentina. Ike Shoromun was our saviour that day. Our goal keepers are always our saviors in world cups since 2002. This is also a pointer to team Uzoho.

I trust players more that have been tested in competitive matches reason why I rate Ezenwa higher than Uzoho. A goalie that didn't concede from open play against Cameroon home and away and against Zambia at home. You cannot push away that kind of performance. It is only if Enyeama shows up.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:43am On Dec 26, 2017
16-year-old attacking midfielder Anis Ben Sliman has been called up by Tunisia U20 NT for two friendlies vs Algeria U20.He has both Danish & Tunisian citizenships.

We should have standing youth teams to try out potential super eagles stars. Players like Tosin Kehinde could have been playing for our youth teams.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:47am On Dec 26, 2017
Onigbinde dropped a tested and trusted Yakubu Ayegbeni for a Batholomew Ogbeche whose only highlight was a bicycle kick that hit the up right. Simply because the former was playing in Israel while the later was in PSG. Not as if the PSG of then was even a major force in Europe.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:51am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

I trust players more that have been tested in competitive matches reason why I rate Ezenwa higher than Uzoho. A goalie that didn't concede from open play against Cameroon home and away and against Zambia at home. You cannot push away that kind of performance. It is only if Enyeama shows up.

Two important things
1. Ability
2. Experience

You have to have both. Rufai in 1998 had the experience but the ability was no longer there.

If Uzoho's ability is far better than Ezenwa, then experience is less of a factor.
If they have comparable ability, then we can pick the more experienced.

It is up to the coach to decide but if those are our options, we should see Uzoho in other high profile friendlies to gauge his level.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:53am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:
Onigbinde dropped a tested and trusted Yakubu Ayegbeni for a Batholomew Ogbeche whose only highlight was a bicycle kick that hit the up right. Simply because the former was playing in Israel while the later was in PSG. Not as if the PSG of then was even a major force in Europe.

We dismantled a team and took bunch of individuals to the WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54am On Dec 26, 2017
tbaba1234:
16-year-old attacking midfielder Anis Ben Sliman has been called up by Tunisia U20 NT for two friendlies vs Algeria U20.He has both Danish & Tunisian citizenships.

We should have standing youth teams to try out potential super eagles stars. Players like Tosin Kehinde could have been playing for our youth teams.

Sebi I have said this before.

We need to have a standing U19/20/21 team. We engage them with friendlies each time we are on international break.
We don't need to wait to see some of these players play for the Super Eagles to see their readiness to play at that level.
We can even organize friendlies between our U20 team and less fancied senior teams like those of Benin or Togo.
They can even play against our CHAN team or NPFL champions. Or can take part in the Super6 just like in 2015.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:03am On Dec 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

Two important things
1. Ability
2. Experience

You have to have both. Rufai in 1998 had the experience but the ability was no longer there.

If Uzoho's ability is far better than Ezenwa, then experience is less of a factor.
If they have comparable ability, then we can pick the more experienced.

It is up to the coach to decide but if those are our options, we should see Uzoho in other high profile friendlies to gauge his level.

We have not seen Uzoho enough to conclude his ability is "far better" than that of Ezenwa. Yes we have lined up a couple of high profile friendlies. Let's see more of him. But if Enyeama comes back by then, I would rather we reassess more Enyeama's ability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:08am On Dec 26, 2017
Big news in Tunisia as Ivorian defensive midfielder Fousseini Koulibali has been called up with the Tunisian national team after being naturalized.

World cup loading!!!

http://www.ftf.org.tn/fr/equipe-nationale-25-joueurs-convoques-au-demarrage-des-preparations-pour-le-mondial-russie-2018/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:09am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

We have not seen Uzoho enough to conclude his ability is "far better" than that of Ezenwa. Yes we have lined up a couple of high profile friendlies. Let's see more of him. But if Enyeama comes back by then, I would rather we reassess more Enyeama's ability.

Hopefully, Enyeama starts playing and gets back to form...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:11am On Dec 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

That is it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:19am On Dec 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

We dismantled a team and took bunch of individuals to the WC.
Worse still a bunch of untested teenagers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:55am On Dec 26, 2017
Humility017:

the bolded shows you never watched the match.......please more of your knowledge is based on sports writing......
that guy was a fluke in that world cup.....
Mikel was MOTM against Iran and Osaze against Bosnia,we had two MOTM in the last WC.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:04am On Dec 26, 2017
forgiveness:

And who told you I never watched the boring match?

Mikel Obi and Vicmo were the biggest fluke in that tournament but today they are the best.

However, it's allover the net that Mikel Obi was the MOTM but I asked because I wanted your attention for my first question.

I ask again, what position did Ramon Azeez played? Let us see whose knowledge is based on sport writing. Thanks
Not even net Mikel was officially MOTM against Iran.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:29am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

We learnt this bitterly from the 2002 WC when Onigbingbe packed boys to the world cup. They got overwhelmed by the intensity of the competition. Players like Ogbeche, Sodje and Opabunmi were only tested in friendlies. They never really played any competitive game before we faced Argentina. Ike Shoromun was our saviour that day. Our goal keepers are always our saviors in world cups since 2002. This is also a pointer to team Uzoho.

Pls did we learn anything from 2002 WC coz we repeated the same performance in 2010 WC despite having tested players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:46am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:
As at 2002 most fans want Ogbeche at WC so dropping Aiyegbeni was not an issue,remember Agali was the main man but refused Onigbinde invitation due to his solidarity with Sunday Olishe & co that were banished from the team.The same Yakubu Aiyegbeni had the worst outing for Nigeria ever in the WC at 2010.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:47am On Dec 26, 2017
Kog45:
Mikel was MOTM against Iran and Osaze against Bosnia,we had two MOTM in the last WC.
thanks sir

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:51am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Sebi I have said this before.

We need to have a standing U19/20/21 team. We engage them with friendlies each time we are on international break.
We don't need to wait to see some of these players play for the Super Eagles to see their readiness to play at that level.
We can even organize friendlies between our U20 team and less fancied senior teams like those of Benin or Togo.
They can even play against our CHAN team or NPFL champions. Or can take part in the Super6 just like in 2015.

to be honest wit you...this have been our problem...even the cadet team coaches have no programs and plans.....
going through wit this friendlies will even save us the stress of loosing some of this foreign born good players....in the longrun...
as they will first get to play in our under 20 and not straight to the super eagles....

I think the NFF really need to put their hands together.....we are lagging behind.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2017
Kog45:
Pls did we learn anything from 2002 WC coz we repeated the same performance in 2010 WC despite having tested players.

The 2010 Team was a lot more balanced than that 2002 Team.

The 2002 team had quality players like Okocha, Kanu Taribo, Babayaro and Aghahowa among others but the balance in the team was upset by throwing in untested players like Sodje, Ogbeche, Christopher and Opabunmi. Mutiu that he said was his joker was not even featured in any game.

The 2010 team never had players in the mould of Okocha and Kanu but it was basically a team that was carried over from the 2005 U20 to 2008 U23, 2007 U20 and 2006, 2008 & 2010 AFCON teams.
The 2010 team had a better performance than the 2002 IMO. But for that Kaita kick we were on track to roast Greece in that game.
Though both only had 1 point the 2010 team were more exciting and scored more goals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

Pls let's think out of Enyeama for now and concentrate on those who are ready to don Eagles jersey for now,Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Uzoho, Alampasu, Ajiboye, Maduka,Ayeleso,Afelokhai

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:54am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

you wrote true...but we shouldn't just settle fr ezenwa...let's try others and see how good they're during this CHAN and friendlies...for uzoho....

ezenwa had such a wonderful experience obviously because of the standing defense we had in both matches....

he has never really been tested....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:56am On Dec 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

my guy the WC is the number one sports fiesta in the universe. ex international ifeanyi Udeze said its not for boys but for men( not age oo but mind) and most players who have been to WC will say the same. nerves my bro, raw nerves hits players. didnt you see how the experinced brazilian players caved under an attack of nerves in 2014. WC is still football but its football at the highest and the most intimate level because playing for your club is not like carrying the hopes and expectation of your country on your back. the pressure, hope, expectation enters the bones and if a player is not strong the player will be jittery. didnt you see how jittery balogun was in the first leg against Cameroun and the home match against Zambia? without taking anything away from the other qualities that make for a great team experience helps players to overcome this jitters but without experience a player needs to really psyche himself up to bear the pressure. we the fans feel it even despite the fact that we have watched so many WC games how much more the players themselves particularly the newbies.
the udeze that said...it is for men...
what did he play for Nigeria at the world cup?
anybody can open their mouth to talk words all because they're ex-internationals people will begin to see those words as authority.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:58am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

The 2010 Team was a lot more balanced than that 2002 Team.

The 2002 team had quality players like Okocha, Kanu Taribo and Aghahowa among others but the balance in the team was upset by throwing in untested players like Sodje, Ogbeche, Christopher and Opabunmi. Mutiu that he said was his joker was not even featured in any game.

The 2010 team never had players in the mould of Okocha and Kanu but it was basically a team that was carried over from the 2005 U20 to 2008 U23, 2007 U20 and 2006, 2008 & 2010 AFCON teams.
The 2010 team had a better performance than the 2002 IMO. But for that Kaita kick we were on track to roast Greece in that game.
Though both only had 1 point the 2010 team were more exciting and scored more goals.
My man the calibre of players we took look to 2010 WC are better than 2002,hope you remember Kanu was part of 2010 WC.

I based my performance on players and i think 2010 had proper foundation compared to 2002 team so i still see 2010 team has the greatest flop of all Nigeria team to WC,my opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:59am On Dec 26, 2017
Kog45:
Pls let's think out of Enyeama for now and concentrate on those who are ready to don Eagles jersey for now,Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Uzoho, Alampasu, Ajiboye, Maduka,Ayeleso,Afelokhai

If Rohr who is in charge is telling us he is still hopeful of getting Enyeama who are we to rule him out?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:59am On Dec 26, 2017
darkelf:

Agu is a no go area for me. I think he is overrated
Ogu shows passion and commitment. I like that
Ndidi and Onazi are work horses not too afraid to roll in the mud
Mikel's vision, leadership and experience will help us a long way
I am wit you on the bolded....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:00am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

If Rohr who is in charge is telling us he is still hopeful of getting Enyeama who are we to rule him out?
let's keep our fingers crossed....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:02am On Dec 26, 2017
forgiveness:

I thought you said we don't need old men in our team? Why Ogbeche? shocked

Ogbeche wey be Martins age mate.
since you guys are clamouring for martins...
better we invite all the available old men.

still scouting if there is still any...besides this two....so we can all deliberate on it...if possible rohr invites them all....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:04am On Dec 26, 2017
Icon4s:

I'm not ruling him out but for now is not available so i will not put him into consideration,so better to plan ahead of him cos he said he has retired then no need to bank on him until he comes out of retirement.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:07am On Dec 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

Rohr will not like Osimhen if he is not hardworking and ambitious. i say this because Rohr is German and typically Germans are hardworkers and they love hardworkers. so if Osimhen has no other quality that i know i can safely say he must be a hardworking guy for rohr to like him so much.
the boy really need to sharpen up....and seize one this moments.....
he will not always get to play 90 mins but...the few minutes he get to play...him making his presence felt....will go a long way..boast his chances of leading the frontline in few matches....

read...Wolfsburg will be signing a Croatian under 21 forward come next month....that means...he now have a new competitor...

he should brace up.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (2441) (2442) (2443) (2444) (2445) (2446) (2447) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2, komekn(m), elyte89, akwesenana and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.