Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (254) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11728939 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (16171) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:00pm On Nov 05, 2016
Goal for forgotten Striker, Anichebe..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:10pm On Nov 05, 2016
Anichebe rejected one national team call-up and was never called again.

His own was even justified. He was injured when playing for Nigeria and no one from the NFF checked on him through out his injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Ur insult could never have been directed at me as i am not Musa. U r trying to make it seem like he won't get offers in Europe as he is not that good. Like i said don't use npfl to cover shade, is it only Musa that u want to bring back home? Why don't u wish that on ur favorite player. The boy is trying to be a bread winner for his family and u are wishing him owed salary and i'm the wierd one for opposing it, go figure.
Don't you think you're taking this issue too personal? I don't see him wishing Musa evil. He just wants him to do well by suggesting that he should play for a really good team in Nigeria, Rangers in case teams abroad refuse to give him a chance. Rangers dont owe players from what I gathered.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2016
Hi guys intriguing debate you all are having about experience. In alampasu's case I might not start him against the Algerians ahead of akpeyi because you cannot compare playing in the south African top flight to Portuguese 3rd division. If dele was playing for say Porto, benfica or sporting Lisbon even if in reserves then one can take a calculated risk to field him.

On the matter of coaches sometimes sentimentally sticking to a player it might be a case of a coach knowing from past experience what a player can do for him and so trusts the player to deliver again. For example John ogu has been in form this season plus playing regularly for his club yet we don't expect him to start ahead of Mikel who we all know has big game experience.

I don't mind ndidi and onazi Starting together to be honest while pushing Mikel further up the pitch but yeah ndidi is overall a better DMF than onazi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:20pm On Nov 05, 2016
Bravo should have saved that last minute equalizer by Borough.. thegoodjoe..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:32pm On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:
Bravo should have saved that last minute equalizer by Borough.. thegoodjoe..

He should have saved it but City problems lie with the forwards. We should have buried that game long ago. 25 shots one goal is poor after an awesome display. The first half ended with, 18 shots to 0, 79% possession to 21%.

When City should destroy teams with such stats. Guardiola did an awesome job so far. However, he has a big task to get the forwards utilizing most opportunities created.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

Musa also played right back against Plateau United before ndidi came on.

How else do you screen players?

The coach felt that he did not measure up to the level, he wanted.

You screen players with drills before the game. Like for instance, you set up two wingers against one full back and see which of them deals better against speedy wingers.

With what we saw with Ndidi, he would not cope in such drills. After the drill, you play scrimmage games, monitoring who among your choices is adequate. By the final friendly, you will know who will cope better against a pacy wingers.

Ndidi could not cope at all against the Zambian wingers. I doubt he could do better than Musa Mohammed marking pacy wingers. We clearly missed it that day and I hope Rohr works on drilling his full backs better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:41pm On Nov 05, 2016
chrisooblog:
Hi guys intriguing debate you all are having about experience. In alampasu's case I might not start him against the Algerians ahead of akpeyi because you cannot compare playing in the south African top flight to Portuguese 3rd division. If dele was playing for say Porto, benfica or sporting Lisbon even if in reserves then one can take a calculated risk to field him.

On the matter of coaches sometimes sentimentally sticking to a player it might be a case of a coach knowing from past experience what a player can do for him and so trusts the player to deliver again. For example John ogu has been in form this season plus playing regularly for his club yet we don't expect him to start ahead of Mikel who we all know has big game experience.

I don't mind ndidi and onazi Starting together to be honest while pushing Mikel further up the pitch but yeah ndidi is overall a better DMF than onazi

I do not want Mikel starting because of big game experience. I want him starting because he is the best choice when he plays. His distance covered during games, his pass rates his brilliant choices when covering gaps etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2016
Jefersoun:
Experience counts just as talent(best player at that moment), it all depends on how you balance things out. Remember when Rohr said he is going to pick is players according to their performance in their club, but he made exceptions to some players. Mikel was part of the exceptions he made, that is what we call experience playing is part. So we must at all times know when to balance experience and the best talent at the moment. There are some position in life that needs experience or talent or both. Happy saturday.

Mikel made Rohr's list based on his exceptional performances at the Olympics. Watching the Olympics, it was clear he is a special talent. One who was among the best in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:45pm On Nov 05, 2016
Omeruo conceded an own goal in his team's 4:3 win..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:50pm On Nov 05, 2016
Great game today from Uche Agbo.

Ebuehi starts as left back for ADO Den Haag

Onazi played 80 mins..

So far so good, no news of injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2016
I'm afraid Moses and Conte might use this incident with Bolasie to feign another injury to skip this Algeria match. i just dey watch dem with one eye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Overtime, I have studied it, Westerhof had no place for experience. He only had space for the best. As soon as a regular drops form, he had a younger replacement ready. It was after Westerhof went that the competition dropped and I started hearing a player should keep his place because of experience.

Is it the same Westerhof that kept a very skillful but inexperienced Okocha on the bench and played a less fancifull but more experienced Thompson Oliha at the '94 AFCON and '94 WC.

What of keeping a young Victor Ikpeba that was in blistering form at AS Monaco on the bench and fielding Yekini and Siasia who were playing at less fancied clubs particularly Siasia.

The only good thing Yekini did right at that WC was that tap in goal against Bulgaria. Yekini didnt have a good tournament IMO.

What of Siasia whose only highlight for that WC was the goal against Argentina. Ikpeba was playing in a better club and better league than Siasia and was also in a sizzling form. But Westerhof chose Siasia ahead of him as the second striker bc of Siasia's wealth of experience.

Westerhof also favoured experience. Take a look at his defense of 1994. The youngest player was Ben Iroha who joined the team in 1989( Five years before that 94 WC).

I know u too well TheGoodJoe. Any time u want a young player u love included in the Super Eagles u start shouting "Kill that experience thing".

I know how we argued in the past abt Victor Osimhen and Taiwo Awoniyi being experienced enough for the U23(not even the Super Eagles)

Now it is Alampasu. Ok kontinuu.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel made Rohr's list based on his exceptional performances at the Olympics. Watching the Olympics, it was clear he is a special talent. One who was among the best in the team.
So what bases did he use in selecting mikel for the Algeria clash. Remember mikel has not played a match for almost a month now. That is where the exception to some rules comes in. We all know that the world most times goes for experience in some vital position but that does not undermine talent. You just want to be careful, so that things does not go against you, because people are quick to criticize you when you make the unsual decision and it backfires.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2016
Jefersoun:
So what bases did he use in selecting mikel for the Algeria clash. Remember mikel has not played a match for almost a month now. That is where the exception to some rules comes in.

To mention the word "Experience" is like a taboo to TheGoodJoe. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Is it the same Westerhof that kept a very skill but inexperienced Okocha on the bench and played a less fancifull but more experienced Thompson Oliha at the '94 AFCON and '94 WC.

What of keeping a young Victor Ikpeba that was in blistering form at AS Monaco on the bench and fielding Yekini and Siasia who were playing at less fancied clubs particularly Siasia.

The only good thing Yekini did right at that WC was that tap in goal against Bulgaria. Yekini didnt have a good tournament IMO opinion.

What of Siasia whose only highlight for that WC was the goal against Argentina. Ikpeba was playing in a better club and better league than Siasia and was also in a sizzling form. But Westerhof chose Siasia ahead of him as the second sreiker.

Westerhof also favoured experience. Take a look at his defense of 1994. The youngest player was Ben Iroha who joined the team in 1989( Five years before that 94 WC).

I know u too well TheGoodJoe. Any time i want a young player u love included in the Super Eagles u start shouting "Kill that experience thing".

I know how we argued in the past abt Victor Osimhen and Taiwo Awoniyi being experienced enough for the U23(not even the Super Eagles)

But Westerhof also gave a starting shirt to Oliseh, who was 19 at the time... Okocha started some games in Tunisia '94 and world cup 94. He was just not always a starter. Amuneke was also a youngster at the time.

Ikpeba was not that hot in 1993-1994... He just joined Monaco...

Westerhof did give opportunities to young players. He just did it gradually.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:14pm On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

But Westerhof also gave a starting shirt to Oliseh, who was 19 at the time... Okocha started some games in Tunisia '94 and world cup 94. He was just not always a starter. Amuneke was also a youngster at the time.

Good. All coaches give young players opportunities. But what i stand against TheGoodJoe saying Westerhof never used experience as a yard stick in team selection
Look at Westerhof's defense did u see any Rookie?

Weaterhof capped a 19years old oliseh, young Okocha and Amuneke jst like Rohr capped a 19yrs old Iheanacho, Iwobi, Ndidi, Simon, Mohammed, hu are all U20s.

Did Westerhof play any Rookie keeper or Defender all through from Algiers '90 to Tunisia 94 & USA '94.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:14pm On Nov 05, 2016
But he did start the "inexperienced" Okocha in the '94 Afcon final though... wink

Sir Tbaba has already mentioned a 19 year old Oliseh who also started the '94 Afcon final and starred at the world cup same year... And even a young Amuneke who won us the title with his brace.

Westerhof favored a perfect balance of "Experience" and "Youthful precociousness" coz there would always be exceptions.

Icon4s:

Is it the same Westerhof that kept a very skillful but inexperienced Okocha on the bench and played a less fancifull but more experienced Thompson Oliha at the '94 AFCON and '94 WC.

The only good thing Yekini did right at that WC was that tap in goal against Bulgaria. Yekini didnt have a good tournament IMO.

What of Siasia whose only highlight for that WC was the goal against Argentina. Ikpeba was playing in a better club and better league than Siasia and was also in a sizzling form. But Westerhof chose Siasia ahead of him as the second striker bc of Siasia's wealth of experience.

I know u too well TheGoodJoe. Any time u want a young player u love included in the Super Eagles u start shouting "Kill that experience thing".

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:15pm On Nov 05, 2016
grin grin shocked Chelsea! Holy Moses! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Good. All coaches give young players opportunities. But what i stand against TheGoodJoe saying Westerhof never used experience as a yard stick in team selection

Weaterhof capped a 19years old oliseh, young Okocha and Amuneke jst like Rohr capped a 19yrs old Iheanacho, Iwobi, Ndidi, Simon, Mohammed, hu are all U20s.

Did Westerhof play any Rookie keeper or Defender all through from Algiers '90 to Tunisia 94 & USA '94.

Your post almost tried to paint westerhof as a man who just favored experience but he blooded in so many young players...

I however agree with you on principle regarding the importance of experience... A good balance of experience and youth is always good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 05, 2016
Moses ballin like a baller
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

That's it. He did it gradually! Westerhoff would never have allowed Okocha play his first game for Nigeria against Italy in the quarter finals. He didn't even play him at the first game against Bulgeria as a debut game for him. Okocha made his official debut for Nigeria in the 2–1 1994 FIFA World Cup Qualifier away loss against Ivory Coast. He came in in the second half.

All these emotional talks about Alampasu, no serious coach will give it any thought.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2016
So far so good, Nacho fit and ready to come done to Uyo.... Thank God pep played him for just a minute biko. Same with some others invited.

Abeg make pesin tell Moses I no wan hear injury ooooo...

Others still get games tomorrow.... I just dey watch.

Meanwhile Chelsea..... Kaiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

Costa!!!!! Kaiiiii!!!!!

3-4-3 ooooooooooo.......... Kaiiiii!!!!!!!!

**looks at the elders with "that look"**
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 7:27pm On Nov 05, 2016
Icon4s:

To mention the word "Experience" is like a taboo to TheGoodJoe. grin
I think we should know when to put talent ahead of experience. You can't put talent ahead of experience when dealing with some vital positions, just as head of institutions, world bank, contruction companies, to mention but a few. You just have to gain experience to be able to handle difficult times, pressure, competition and so much more. We are not disputing talent for a bit. You just have to know when to put one first before the other.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:28pm On Nov 05, 2016
But westerhof started this same "inexperienced" Okocha in '94 Afcon final.

Why are you guys so quick to forget that?

Look, there are always exceptions to the "experience rule". smiley

joseph1013:
That's it. He did it gradually! Westerhoff would never have allowed Okocha play his first game for Nigeria against Italy in the quarter finals. He didn't even play him at the first game against Bulgeria. Okocha made his official debut for Nigeria in the 2–1 1994 FIFA World Cup Qualifier away loss against Ivory Coast. He came in in the second half.

All these emotional talks about Alampasu, no serious coach will give it any thought.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:30pm On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

Your post almost tried to paint westerhof as a man who just favored experience but he blooded in so many young players...

I however agree with you on principle regarding the importance of experience... A good balance of experience and youth is always good.

U have said it. A good balance of experience and youth. And not "Kill that experience talk".

The young players ride on the backs of their experienced collleagues. Mikel has brought out the best in Iwobi and Iheanacho for instance some thing a young Central midfielder like Esiti or Chidi Nwakali could nt have achieved so quickly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:30pm On Nov 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Westerhof played the best players. I wonder how you jumped from that to young players. Westerhof did not use experience as a criteria but the players he felt were the best for each role.

I am not talking of blooding in youngsters. I am talking about the best. Whether he is inexperienced or not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2016
Jefersoun:
I think we should know when to put talent ahead of experience. You can't put talent ahead of experience when dealing with some vital positions, just as head of institutions, world bank, contruction companies, to mention but a few. You just have to gain experience to be able to handle difficult times, pressure, competition and so much more. We are not disputing talent for a bit. You just have to know when to put one first before the other.

U sabi jare bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:32pm On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Westerhof played the best players. I wonder how you jumped from that to young players. Westerhof did not use experience as a criteria but the players he felt were the best for each role.

I am not talking of blooding in youngsters. I am talking about the best. Whether he is inexperienced or not.

OMG undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:34pm On Nov 05, 2016
Jefersoun:

Every position. Pique was about 19 or 20 when he became one of the best defenders in the World. If a youngster at that age can become so commanding and brilliant, which other role deserves caution?

De Gea was 18 when he became a big part of a successful Atletico Madrid. If you are good enough, you are old enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:39pm On Nov 05, 2016
Icon4s:

OMG undecided

Yes. I said we should kick out that experience talk and look at the best. That is why I pointed Aiyegbeni. Even when his form dropped, people were okay because of his experience. If we were more into current form, Aiyegbeni would lose his place earlier.

A good example is Ighalo. He is in the team based on rep experience, what he has done. Until he did the Aiyegbeni I think against Manchester United before people started thinking.

When a player lose form, drop him and make him work to get back. Reminds me of Hart under Pellegrini. When Pels dropped Hart, he came back better.

Meanwhile, we want experience. We do not need experience. We need the best in each role. Whether young or old.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Every position. Pique was about 19 or 20 when he became one of the best defenders in the World. If a youngster at that age can become so commanding and brilliant, which other role deserves caution?

De Gea was 18 when he became a big part of a successful Atletico Madrid. If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Club football is different.

Before a coach decides to play a youngster, He has seen him for months in training. He can guage him with lower pressure games then hand him a debut.

This is Alampasu first invite under Rohr.

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (16171) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, KpagoGIN(m), do4luv14(m), Philosopher1979, delana(m), damagnificentusb(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.